Post-Game Talk: This season was awesome

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
There were times during these playoffs I legit thought we had a decent chance at the Cup. Never imagined we would be here 1-2 months ago even after we started to make a run. Unfortunately, we just ran into a buzzsaw and went cold simultaneously.

Hope we have a good offseason and the young players stay hungry and keep improving.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
We totally messed up our draft position for nothing.

And like I said before, my only fear is that Dundon will think he can do this again while spending to the cap floor. I do have more faith in management than at any point since Emile Francis, but I'd like to see some money change hands.

And finally, I'd like to wish the players good luck with the surgeries.

To be honest, we got a one-in-a-million deal with Svechnikov last year when we lucked out in the draft lottery. I think we can afford drafting low this season as a result.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Hell of an unexpected run. I actually made it to this game. Had great seats. Kind of knew it wouldn't be a win, but would do 100 times over. Have to savor this, and remember we hated life in December, only to witness a meteoric climb to the top of the league over the course of 4 months. Very much looking forward to next season.

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
The moon and the stars weep for you sons and daughters of The Storm, for your sacrifice, you have given what we all must give, you have tried to deny the dark its claim.
You fought and you fell. For our hope. And for this you shall earn the place in our stories.
Your story, your story that began in the midst of chaotic regular season it will not end, it will only change.

In the warm sunny days between the seasons you will be reborn, you will become stories, memories, you will remain in our hearts and minds, you will be in us, the fans. And these fans shall tell your story. You will endure. And because of your sacrifice, so will the fans.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It's been a hell of a run boys. Time to evaluate and see what we can improve on and go use our bajillion dollars in cap space to go out and do it.

It took one season to go from laughingstock to potentially attractive free agent destination.

Oh, and Waddell is up for GM of the year.

What a season to look back on.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
We seemed to run out of gas a bit against Boston. If that team shows up again after a shortened off season we might be a bubble team again. I hope we get forward help both for the PK and a top 6 RH shot.

They need help for the PP. Whether that's players or a coach but it was ridiculously bad. They were basically worse on the PP than 5vs5.

PK was always fine until they started leaning towards McGinn...if you watch all the PP-goals the Canes allowed during the playoffs you'll notice that a good half of them only happened because McGinn was out for lunch...covering nobody and nothing. When you play 4-5 you just can't afford a guy covering nobody. Canes do have lots of capable options though with Staal, Wallmark, Aho, Teravainen, Martinook, Foegele, McKegg or even Maenalanen and Bishop. Ferland, too when healthy and I'd like to see Svechnikov on the PK, too. I really don't know why the Coaches felt the need to lean on McGinn when they had so many better options available.

There was no reason to run out of gas. After sweeeping the Isle they had enough time off and got lots of bodies back. You also shouldn't complain about fatigue when you, after losing just one defenseman, don't trust your 7th defender for more than 3-6 minutes. I said it earlier and will say it again...if they didn't intend to play Fleury they should have acquired a guy they actually can trust. It was also dumb to repeatedly and willingly play two defenders on their off side. This cannot be a longterm solution.
I also didn't quite get the panic mode after being down 0-2..especially since they should have won game 1 but really only got robbed by the refs. Should have went with Mrazek all the way.
Hate to say it but this loss against Boston is fully on the Coaches. I guess we can all forgive them though after an outstanding season where they made pretty much everything right. Rod is a rookie Coach and still learning, too. Let's not forget that.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It's uncanny how similar it ended up playing out like 2009. Here's hoping it doesn't mean another 10-year wait is what comes next.

Tonight sucks, but the season certainly didn't. Thanks for everything, boys. It's been a fun ride.

Hopefully the braintrust doesn’t spend the offseason doing asinine things like JR did in response to the last time they got swept. f***ing moron that guy.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We totally messed up our draft position for nothing.

And like I said before, my only fear is that Dundon will think he can do this again while spending to the cap floor. I do have more faith in management than at any point since Emile Francis, but I'd like to see some money change hands.

And finally, I'd like to wish the players good luck with the surgeries.
I'm pretty sure watching us get pantsed in the ECF makes it very clear that we need help to get over the hump.

That said, having the youngest team in the playoffs with the most cap room in the league and making it this far has to be a good sign going forward. We don't have to build the grid, we just have to re-route traffic. One or two targeted additions this year legitimately could push us over the top and win us a Cup as early as next year. Which, 12 months ago was a pipe dream.

I bought season tickets with the hopes that this run is a foretelling of good things to come, and nothing I saw this playoff run leads me to believe that it isn't. In fact, getting thoroughly ass kicked in the ECF might be a bit of a blessing because now these guys can sit and stew about it all summer and come into next year ready to prove themselves. Which, lets be honest, wasn't going to be the case after they swept the Isles. And with a team this young and talented, they could do some serious damage next year if they're focused from the start.

I mean this ain't 2009. This team actually has layered depth at all levels right now. The top end talent is still coming into its own, which is promising. 2009 had a lot of veteran guys on basically their last hurrah, and that was essentially the peak for them. This year feels more like the beginning.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Congratulations to the Canes and y'all on a fun playoff run. As a former resident of central NC who lived right around the corner from the Greensboro Coliseum when they first arrived, it's great to see the identity of the team emerge this season and with this playoff run. It's also encouraging that another hockey market can get an exposure boost in the US, to feed players up into the game we all love to watch.

I was pulling for you. It's too bad it had to end this way, but thanks for letting us ride along, even from a distance, in the "Bunch of Jerks" season. It was entertaining. Thank you.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Bruins fan here

Your boys did you proud. Hope you're proud of them.

Several points where the Canes should have scored, but Tuukka stonewalled them. He's playing at a legendary level and it was more than your young guns could handle, but they made him work for it.

Oh yeah -- and the Canes will definitely be back. And with the experience of this playoff run under their belt, if they learn their lessons from what happened in this series they should be a force to be reckoned with. Doubt this will be the last time they're this deep in the playoffs under current leadership.

Enjoy your offseason folks. Looking forward to the rematch next year, I'm sure both teams will bring the heat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad