This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Something to be said about finishing your career with the team that drafted you; fairly unique to hockey. Jagr leaving is what caused 25 years of whatever between Pens fans and him. I like the loyalty in hockey. Wasn’t a big fan of Bourques move to win, hockey is a team sport and the cup is won as a team. His move was self-serving, but whatever, I just watch on tv.
Loyalty is a two way street. Ownership/ Management in Pittsburg has been atrocious for years.
But I hear ya.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Would like to see him on a contender .....or atleast a long shot team that's in the play offs. If it ain't the Pens , so be it.

Messier
Gretz
Lafluer
Bourque
Bure
Fedorov
Coffee
Francis
Howe
Roy
Hasek
Jagr
Keith
Kane
.... why not Sid?
I am happy Getzlaf was a Duck his entire career.

Selfishly I would like to see Sid play on a great team right now though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team is really gonna play themselves out of a top 10 pick just to miss WC2 by like 1 point, aren't they?

That's a great outcome if that happens. It means they can give San Jose their 1st this year at #14 overall or whatever and not worry about their 1st next year.

The worst case scenario is them sitting with like the #7 overall pick this year and asking "do we give up the pick this year or next year?". Get the pick as late as possible to justify giving it up this year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This team is really gonna play themselves out of a top 10 pick just to miss WC2 by like 1 point, aren't they?
It's okay that pick us going to San Jose from the EK trade and they will get a higher pick next year with the team being older.

I still think that they left too many points on the table earlier this year to make it but the late surge has been interesting.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I am happy Getzlaf was a Duck his entire career.

Selfishly I would like to see Sid play on a great team right now though.
I want Crosby/Malkin to end their days on glory road winning a final cup to end their careers. Wont be here so i'd be fine watching them with good wingers, although they seem to be doing fine with what they have here (Malkin with Bunting, Crosby with DOC). Cullen aka Dad! should have retired when he won back to back cups, left the game on a high note. Would like the same for those 2.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's a great outcome if that happens. It means they can give San Jose their 1st this year at #14 overall or whatever and not worry about their 1st next year.

The worst case scenario is them sitting with like the #7 overall pick this year and asking "do we give up the pick this year or next year?". Get the pick as late as possible to justify giving it up this year.
Would say a lot about their expected direction if they parted with the 8-10OA pick in this draft. Would need to have a sit down with Sid to ensure everyone is aligned going into his final year. Even if the pick is top 10 Pitt maintains the option to trade it to SJ to complete the ek deal.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Something to be said about finishing your career with the team that drafted you; fairly unique to hockey. Jagr leaving is what caused 25 years of whatever between Pens fans and him. I like the loyalty in hockey. Wasn’t a big fan of Bourques move to win, hockey is a team sport and the cup is won as a team. His move was self-serving, but whatever, I just watch on tv.
Bourque gave everything and then more to Boston for a long career. The team, fans and community. Arguably one of the best Dmen to play the game did everything he could to win in Boston. At end of his career when it was clear Boston was done, he was moved by mutual agreement.

And it’s not like he went and won a Cup two months after moving. He was a huge part of COL’s win the next year. A huge part. He earned every bit of that Cup celebration.

You may like loyalty, but you’re not a HHOF player who gave everything he had to win a Cup. Self-serving is really unfair. Hell Harry Sinden took him to arbitration after he’d taken team friendly deals for years in order to help Boston afford players to put them over the top. You should learn more about how Sinden and Jacobs ran things in those days. You might change your view.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would say a lot about their expected direction if they parted with the 8-10OA pick in this draft. Would need to have a sit down with Sid to ensure everyone is aligned going into his final year. Even if the pick is top 10 Pitt maintains the option to trade it to SJ to complete the ek deal.

They should be parting with their 1st this year because the risk of them being worse next year absolutely exists. It's not even a reflection of how the team is progressing, it's just common sense. Even if they end up a playoff team again next year, no one is going to criticize them for giving up the pick this year.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
This thread would be funny if they made the playoffs and went deep
Sid is dragging all he can.
Crosby-Stick4985.gif

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I bet resolving the Guentzel situation helped. It was also of course impactful to get a warm body back. Bunting is helping out a lot, and Guentzel was injured so there was a hole there

Reactions: sanscosm

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Eric Karlsson is kind of like Bob Dylan -- he's inscrutable, and everyone has a theory.

Here's my Karlsson theory:
-- On bad teams where he's the undisputed #1 guy, he's great
-- On talented and/or good teams where he's one of a handful of elite players, he isn't particularly good

In other words, Karlsson thrives on being the main man on teams. But this means that he's only super effective on thin, bad teams.

Reactions: wetcoast

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Eric Karlsson is kind of like Bob Dylan -- he's inscrutable, and everyone has a theory.

-- On talented and/or good teams where he's one of a handful of elite players, he isn't particularly good

In other words, Karlsson thrives on being the main man on teams. But this means that he's only super effective on thin, bad teams.
Unless he's given that nr1 role on a stacked team. Worked well in the Olympics. But, hard to justify when he's not the main piece they build the team around like in Ottawa. In PIT he needs to adjust to an already established hierarchy.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
If that’s what he wants it’d be neat to see because imo he’s got a lot left to add to a good team. Kane going to ny and det is meh. Would be neat seeing what Crosby could do in the playoffs as a 2nd line center on a favorite (assuming that team has one of the 4 centers ranked above him). Same time if the caps were real contenders I’d rather not see Crosby in caps jersey
At this point, there are more than four Cs I'd take ahead of Crosby.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I've never been the biggest Crosby fan, but I've always respected him and do think he is a top 5 player of all-time. And all I have to say is that as a 37-year old, his 39 goals and 84 points so far this season is extremely impressive. I really hope he plays at least three more years, upwards of five. Don't think I, nor the league, is ready for him to call it a career. Still remember him as the highly touted 15-year old next-big-thing phenom.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

He was excellent in the 2017 playoffs on a team that got to game 7 of the conference finals. I don’t think he has been on enough good teams to fairly test your theory.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Looks like they are back in it? 3 points out currently.

They definitely are, but it's still a really difficult hill to climb at this stage of the season. If the Flyers and Caps go 0.500 in their remaining games, they'd be at 90 points. The Penguins would need to go 5-1-1 just to tie one of them in points. Also, every game the Penguins have left is against a team above them in the standings, but only 3 of them are against other teams in the WC race (Washington, Detroit, NYI). Their other 4 games are Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Nashville. IIRC, that's the most difficult schedule among the teams in the race.

At the same time as doing what they need to in their relatively difficult schedule, they'd have to hope the Red Wings also don't play over 0.500 in their remaining games and that the Islanders do worse than 4-2-1.

The likelihood of all 4 teams performing poorly enough to let the Penguins get in isn't high. Is it impossible? Absolutely not. They just need a lot of help from other teams dropping games.

Reactions: Slimmy and Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad