GDT: This is the GDT

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In general, I agree but currently in the top 10 of NHL scorers, there are 4 guys not on the team that drafted them: Wheeler, Kessel, Voracek, Schenn. While it's true most of the top 50 were drafted by the team that they are currently on (Joe's number above), there are plenty of examples over time where teams traded for a guy that was a key piece (Kessel, Jeff Carter, Forsberg, Seguin, etc..).

Sometimes it's not just about signing an expensive UFA, it's about using the assets garnered via draft to make a key trade. With that typically comes more salary burden, or the need to spend more salary once the guy acquired becomes a UFA. I really think PK was not wanting to do that in recent years.

Well yeah it would be nice if some dipshit GM handed us Foresberg for the corpse of Ruutu like that idiot in Washington.....

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
IIRC, He's always been a bit streaky though, although this seems like a more prolonged drought.

He is. And it went unnoticed for a while when TSA was ripping things apart. Now that it’s dried up it’s a little more prounced that he’s doing bery little. I know at least one of those goals was completely meaningless with no time left in a blowout.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
He’s one of the worst OT players in the league. We’ve been over this dozens of times.
Well, I haven't been here in a long time so I missed that. Regardless it doesn't change my opinion and I'll stick with it. I know he gets sloppy but nobody has his skill in space so I see it differently. I think it's a coaching moment for him much like a couple seasons ago when they drilled into him that he needed to play without the puck and he was a league leader in takeaways.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Well, I haven't been here in a long time so I missed that. Regardless it doesn't change my opinion and I'll stick with it. I know he gets sloppy but nobody has his skill in space so I see it differently. I think it's a coaching moment for him much like a couple seasons ago when they drilled into him that he needed to play without the puck and he was a league leader in takeaways.

Maybe coaching is a part of it. He and Faulk in particular don’t change their game in OT and it’s really strange. Everyone else on the ice is playing pateient looking for openings and those two just keep firing away from places they have zero chance to score from and immediately give up possession. It’s really odd.

To your previous point about PP time, yeah they should get him out there more. And they should completely shakeup the units entirely because they are dogshit.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

Being willfilly ignorant doesn't make you right. He's f***ing terrible in OT.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Being willfilly ignorant doesn't make you right. He's ****ing terrible in OT.
Maybe you'd care to re-read what I wrote. Or not, I don't care. I acknowledged how he struggles but suggested he could be effective through better coaching. His mistakes are correctable but his skills are not replaceable. But you stick with your opinion and I'll stick with mine.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Maybe coaching is a part of it. He and Faulk in particular don’t change their game in OT and it’s really strange. Everyone else on the ice is playing pateient looking for openings and those two just keep firing away from places they have zero chance to score from and immediately give up possession. It’s really odd.

To your previous point about PP time, yeah they should get him out there more. And they should completely shakeup the units entirely because they are dog****.
It is very odd and made even worse because they both posses skill sets nobody else on the roster has, i.e., Faulk's shot and Skinner's hands and skating. It's a puzzler why the coaches can't get through to them.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It is very odd and made even worse because they both posses skill sets nobody else on the roster has, i.e., Faulk's shot and Skinner's hands and skating. It's a puzzler why the coaches can't get through to them.

Skinner is indeed confusing because I think he has shown coachability. He gets into trouble because he’s trying to be the hero and do it all himself.

Faulk I think might just be dumb as rocks. Someone asked him a question about either his or the power play struggles and his answer was something like “ I just shoot it hard”. That’s about the extent of his offensive instincts.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
3v3 is about maintaining possession and waiting until you have the right opportunity or an out number the other team to strike. I played a lot of iron man 3v3 hockey over the years and it's a completely different game than 5v5. Skinner is a 1 man show who is a volume shooter who fires at will, which is goes against what you want 3v3.

I think why it's hard to coach it out of them is because it's what has made them so effective as an NHLr in the first place. Almost like it's second nature and something that's very hard to change. Skinner's motor, drive to the net and feeling that he can score every time he shoots is what makes him a dangerous player 5v5 and something that I think would be very hard to coach him away from 3v3.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Skinner is indeed confusing because I think he has shown coachability. He gets into trouble because he’s trying to be the hero and do it all himself.

Faulk I think might just be dumb as rocks. Someone asked him a question about either his or the power play struggles and his answer was something like “ I just shoot it hard”. That’s about the extent of his offensive instincts.
Agreed on both counts. Saw an interesting stat on the high number of Faulk shots that have been blocked or missed the net. Defenses have adjusted but he hasn't. It'd be nice to see him fake a shot and make a quick cross-point pass, just once.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Sounds like a Joni Pitkanen interview. “I shoot puck”

Joni has possessed Faulk is the only logical answer now.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Agreed on both counts. Saw an interesting stat on the high number of Faulk shots that have been blocked or missed the net. Defenses have adjusted but he hasn't. It'd be nice to see him fake a shot and make a quick cross-point pass, just once.

Faulk had noticeably better offensive instincts last season. He moved the puck more, skated, and found open areas much more efficiently. I don't know what the hell he's doing out there this season. I know he fires into 3/4 bodies all the time. We're lucky we don't have a player on injured reserve by now.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The Skinner is bad in OT narrative should die. He's one of the few players on this team that has the drive to actually try to score goals. But yeah, let's keep benching him in OT so we can play it safe and go to a shootout so we can lose. All because a guy who might generate 5 chances for every 1 he gives up doesn't get scored on. You could use the same logic to play players like Dion Phaneuf or Marc Methot over Erik Karlsson in certain situations. It's just nonsensical.

There's also little excuse for his PP ice time. Peters just think he's smarter than everyone and we will all eventually see it someday.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
The Skinner is bad in OT narrative should die. He's one of the few players on this team that has the drive to actually try to score goals. But yeah, let's keep benching him in OT so we can play it safe and go to a shootout so we can lose. All because a guy who might generate 5 chances for every 1 he gives up doesn't get scored on. You could use the same logic to play players like Dion Phaneuf or Marc Methot over Erik Karlsson in certain situations. It's just nonsensical.

There's also little excuse for his PP ice time. Peters just think he's smarter than everyone and we will all eventually see it someday.

Skinner isn't bad at hockey, he's just a turnover machine at times. It's a liability thing, and also probably keeps Mr. Possession, Bill Peters up at night. A different coach might use him in special scenarios, but that wouldn't change the fact that he will just as soon turn the puck over as score. It's Russian Roulette.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

It's a narrative because it's reality. Do any of you espousing the opposite actually watch the kid in OT? If you want to blame coaching, knock yourself out, but to say he isn't a liability on the ice in OT is f***ing asinine.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, there's no doubt that keeping Skinner off the ice as much as possible is the correct move in OT. He's great for a surprise rush, given all the open ice available, but if the attempt is to keep possession and sustained pressure in OT, Skinner is probably one of the worst players to have on the ice.

Basically, the only time he should really see the ice in OT is if we catch them in a bad line change or the clock's ticking down (say less than a 1:30). That way, if he does turn it over, it's less likely to burn us.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00