Speculation: This is Ken Holland's Last Season as GM

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So wait... is this supposed to be a "he's so motivated by money that he's cutting salary" or "he wants to win so he's greenlighting a rebuild that will cut into profits because people will start staying away when the team sucks". I feel like that's an important distinction.

I think it's a combination of MLB's new luxury tax policy and the Tigers' window was clearly shut. It would be dumb to hang onto a bunch of high priced talent when the minor league teams were devoid of talent and they weren't going to contend for the playoffs anyway.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
How much did the team get from Detroit for the LCA again?
1) The job of the GM is to build a roster, not negotiate a new arena deal.

2) The cash influx you speak of is being rapidly transformed from the great start to a long-term infusion, to a large yet brief surge, followed by fewer and fewer people attending games. If the bloom is already starting to fall off the rose in only two months, 'the arena effect' won't last more than a single season.

So yeah, due to people not named Ken Holland, short term value of the team have skyrocketed. That doesn't change his last several mediocre years as GM.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It would be dumb to hang onto a bunch of high priced talent when the minor league teams were devoid of talent and they weren't going to contend for the playoffs anyway.
Still waiting for that wisdom to reach his hockey club.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not sure how well connected Kulfan is, but saw this the other day:

Holland’s contract runs out after this season. There has been no talk of extensions, new contract, etc.

I don’t think it would be shocking to see Holland either bumped into a vice-president’s role — or maybe he decides to take some time off until the expansion team in Seattle is finalized.

Holland has a summer residence in western Canada. He enjoys the area there. It would seem to be a great fit.

Red Wings mailbag: Fans’ patience runs out for Holland

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hopefully it's an outsider, is all I can say. Still think we should have jumped on Shero, he's doing a good job in NJ so far.

Not saying who should replace. Saying who would go with him to Seattle? Hopefully martin

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hopefully it's an outsider, is all I can say. Still think we should have jumped on Shero, he's doing a good job in NJ so far.

Of course we should have signed someone who signed elsewhere and old GM was still committed under contract.

Should also have signed Stamkos at summer. Should draft better. Should have signed Suter.

SHOULD HAVE!

Instead of "should haves" I'd like to see real answers and suggestions. Who are available at next summer if Holland is not extended?

Something realistic and not "should haves". What are our options?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Of course we should have signed someone who signed elsewhere and old GM was still committed under contract.

Should also have signed Stamkos at summer. Should have signed Suter.

SHOULD HAVE!

????????

I meant when he was available. He was available between PIT and NJ, you know. For like a full year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So I it would have been some kind of double-GM vacancy?

I don't even know what you're saying, he was unemployed from May 2014 to May 2015. But if you want to talk about the present, that's fine with me.

Possible candidates for replacment GM- Paul Fenton (NSH), Kyle Dubas or Mark Hunter (TOR), Martin Madden (ANA), Chris Pryor (PHI), Bill Armstrong (STL)... maybe Lombardi (LAK)? I don't know he was real hit or miss there.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Dubas or Hunter would be interesting given their connections in the OHL. Fenton is a name that gets thrown around a lot. Too bad we missed the boat on Botteril, he's had a really nice track record as a scout. I don't have much interest in Lombardi, he's getting up there and signed a couple of bad Holland-esque contracts. The odds the new GM will have a better overall career than Holland are incredibly low. It will simply be nice to feel like there is the potential of finally moving from the listless direction, awful cap management and poor drafting record we've had for a very long time.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not sure how well connected Kulfan is, but saw this the other day:

Red Wings mailbag: Fans’ patience runs out for Holland
■ Q. The fans can use a break from Holland. He assembled this collection of overpaid stiffs. — Bob Stockel Jr. (via email)
■ A. To Holland’s credit, the Jonathan Ericsson deal (two years left, $4.25 million) doesn’t look as bad with Ericsson healthy and playing better hockey.
Before suffering a hand injury, Luke Glendening’s contract looked manageable (three years, $1.8 million)

So the response to a pile of bad contracts is...there are also two or three that aren't so bad?

and where would the Red Wings have been the last two seasons without goaltender Jimmy Howard (one year left, $5.2 million)?
Getting higher draft picks. He makes it sound like the Red Wings did anything worth mentioning WITH Howard.

Oh well. At least the media is writing about the mess, instead of just fluff pieces.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I really want to believe this is his last year, but it makes no sense that the Wings haven't even announced his replacement yet, which will almost certainly be someone from within the organization. I suspect Chris Ilitch will ask him if he wants an extension when the season ends and then go from there.

I personally think he is coming back, so I ordered 700 boxes of Forget-Me-Now's ahead of time.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I really want to believe this is his last year, but it makes no sense that the Wings haven't even announced his replacement yet, which will almost certainly be someone from within the organization. I suspect Chris Ilitch will ask him if he wants an extension when the season ends and then go from there.

I personally think he is coming back, so I ordered 700 boxes of Forget-Me-Now's ahead of time.
I'd be willing to bet both Holland and Blashill are back because it's all part of "the process."

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think Holland will be back, unless he chooses to step down. Blashill I think is a goner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad