Speculation: This is Ken Holland's Last Season as GM

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I remember a while back TSN had an article that if Detroit were to let him go, the Leafs would be interested if Lou stepped down.

Could you imagine if the Leafs win a cup with Holland/Babs/Shanny pulling the strings. Wings fans would lose their you know what.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
At this point I am fairly confident that holland will not be the wings gm next season. Not one peep about a possible contract extension from any media outlet

TSN did a piece a few weeks ago about how this is becoming a normal trend. I think Holland is one of a few GM's that are in the final year of their contracts.

As of a month ago I believe Armstrong, Holland, Yzerman, Lamoriello, and Fletcher were all on expiring contracts.

I have a feeling the Wings may be waiting to see if Yzerman re-signs with TB which I'm sure he will.
Once Yzerman re-signs (if he already hasn't) I think the Wings will re-sign Holland.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
TSN did a piece a few weeks ago about how this is becoming a normal trend. I think Holland is one of a few GM's that are in the final year of their contracts.

As of a month ago I believe Armstrong, Holland, Yzerman, Lamoriello, and Fletcher were all on expiring contracts.

I have a feeling the Wings may be waiting to see if Yzerman re-signs with TB which I'm sure he will.
Once Yzerman re-signs (if he already hasn't) I think the Wings will re-sign Holland.

But... but... Yzerman put his house for sale at Tampa...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Yzerman has another year left on his contract.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Yup, he signed a 4 year extension in 2014, but he had a year remaining on his original contract still. So that runs through the 18-19 season.

And again, if Yzerman leaves Tampa for Detroit, he’d have to be off his ****ing rocker.

Oh sorry, I knew he signed it in April 2014, but I didnt realize he had a year left. Maybe they sign Holland to a 1 year extension.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Oh sorry, I knew he signed it in April 2014, but I didnt realize he had a year left. Maybe they sign Holland to a 1 year extension.

tenor.gif

He’s not coming back dude...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I've also given up hope on the Captain coming back.

As for our next GM, I have no interest in getting angry thinking about it. I don't want him or anyone under him currently promoted. As much as I'd like an outside hire I'm not ready to speculate about who until after Holland is shown the stairs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I remember a while back TSN had an article that if Detroit were to let him go, the Leafs would be interested if Lou stepped down.

Could you imagine if the Leafs win a cup with Holland/Babs/Shanny pulling the strings. Wings fans would lose their you know what.

Ilitch family would become a "Wirtz family" after that. Scapegoats who did lost our mastermids for a rival.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
tenor.gif

lol

Doesnt mean the Wings won't try. If you are running a team and you don't try because you are scared to fail, then you are in the wrong business.

I agree and disagree. I agree he's not coming back next year, but I think at some point he does come back. But im talking like 2026 (ie. way down the road when TB eventually regresses).

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
lol

Doesnt mean the Wings won't try. If you are running a team and you don't try because you are scared to fail, then you are in the wrong business.

I agree and disagree. I agree he's not coming back next year, but I think at some point he does come back. But im talking like 2026 (ie. way down the road when TB eventually regresses).

By 2026 the wings will probably be good

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
tenor.gif

I don't think he will. But I fully believe he will at least listen to Mrs. I's pitch if she wants to make one. If Stevie comes back that would basically point to the fact Chris Ilitch really actually isn't fully in charge of the Wings.... I just don't see a scenario where that happens and Marian Ilitch isn't heavily involved.

By the way on the Stevie front often overlooked here is that him Holland remain rock solid. Even when the reports came out about Kenny refusing to step aside for Stevie they remain rock solid friends who talk to each other almost daily. If he was willing to do it now, I don't think Yzerman would bristle at having him around and listening to him upstairs. When both guys talk they both speak to the fact they still talk a lot. Poile for instance is another guy you can tell over the years Holland talks to a lot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yup, he signed a 4 year extension in 2014, but he had a year remaining on his original contract still. So that runs through the 18-19 season.

And again, if Yzerman leaves Tampa for Detroit, he’d have to be off his ****ing rocker.

I live in Florida and if you offered me a job in Detroit I would leave, because I spent decades living there and I love it.

His family has never moved. In all honesty the reasons the Yzerman thought process would happen do make sense. I just cannot see him leaving Tampa unfinished. Now if they win the Stanley Cup this year, well..... Seriously I understand how it would happen. It just seems like a complete pipe-dream but I remember thinking that with U of M and Harbaugh for instance when that was still a thing during his NFL days then it happened.

Detroit is home to Yzerman, that does have a draw to almost anyone.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't think he will. But I fully believe he will at least listen to Mrs. I's pitch if she wants to make one. If Stevie comes back that would basically point to the fact Chris Ilitch really actually isn't fully in charge of the Wings.... I just don't see a scenario where that happens and Marian Ilitch isn't heavily involved.

By the way on the Stevie front often overlooked here is that him Holland remain rock solid. Even when the reports came out about Kenny refusing to step aside for Stevie they remain rock solid friends who talk to each other almost daily. If he was willing to do it now, I don't think Yzerman would bristle at having him around and listening to him upstairs. When both guys talk they both speak to the fact they still talk a lot. Poile for instance is another guy you can tell over the years Holland talks to a lot.
Does Yzerman really have much of a connection to Chris Ilitch?

"Mr. I" is the one who made the Wings into what they are today. Chris is his son, and has in no way demonstrated he has the same drive for the team. There could be the connection considering it is 99.9% they had some kind of professional and personal relationship when he was here, but not nearly the same kind of connection as the guy who was the owner through his entire time as a member of the Wings, from when he was 18 until he left.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Does Yzerman really have much of a connection to Chris Ilitch?

"Mr. I" is the one who made the Wings into what they are today. Chris is his son, and has in no way demonstrated he has the same drive for the team. There could be the connection considering it is 99.9% they had some kind of professional and personal relationship when he was here, but not nearly the same kind of connection as the guy who was the owner through his entire time as a member of the Wings, from when he was 18 until he left.

I very clearly stated my opinion of which Ilitch would have to be in charge of recruiting and it wasn't Chris.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I live in Florida and if you offered me a job in Detroit I would leave, because I spent decades living there and I love it.

His family has never moved. In all honesty the reasons the Yzerman thought process would happen do make sense. I just cannot see him leaving Tampa unfinished. Now if they win the Stanley Cup this year, well..... Seriously I understand how it would happen. It just seems like a complete pipe-dream but I remember thinking that with U of M and Harbaugh for instance when that was still a thing during his NFL days then it happened.

Detroit is home to Yzerman, that does have a draw to almost anyone.

Right, but you probably don’t because your job is better in Florida. And so is Stevie’s (looking at rosters here).

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
If Yzerman does ever come back to Detroit, it will be at least a decade and a few cups from now.

Tax laws and weather aside, he’s not going to leave a potential powerhouse right when everything is falling into place again

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I like to think he'll be back because psychologically it does two things;

I won't be surprised if he returns. If he doesn't return it'll be like opening a NES on Christmas day. Yea, I'd still get excited opening a NES.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How much is Marian actually part of the team these days?

They still show her at games a lot. I think the Wings and hockey are far more of a Marian passion than a lot of people understand. In my opinion she has always seemed more prominent with the Wings than the Tigers for instance.

I think Chris is in charge. However, I think the recruitment of Stevie would have to be done by Marian if we hope to lure him in. He has/had an incredible relationship with Marian/Mike Yzerman has referred to that as incredibly special to him whenever he talks about either.

I worry about his legacy after watching Trams. But I do think the reason this rumor persists is it wouldn't be that hard to rationalize why Yzerman might come. There is a lot there, I just think he has unfinished business in Tampa, but honestly that very well could be finished in June and that would make this whole conversation significantly different. By the way if Yzerman isn't interested one of our major targets should be his assistant GMs and in my opinion we should steal Verbeek back by paying him more here. I mean I prefer Fenton out of Nashville, but honestly targeting Stevie's two assistant GMs is something we should think about.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->