Speculation: This is Ken Holland's Last Season as GM

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Pretty sure there were some people talking about how they aren't even a playoff team in one of the two GDTs

Not sure who would do that if they were serious. They have three more weeks to collapse HARD if that doesn’t happen they are a lock unless they pull a 2013-14 leafs

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Then realized Tampa wasn’t gonna win the cup and now they’re going to this year. :sarcasm:

Looks like Yzerman has decided that "this year we will win" and I'm off from this crap town!" :)

Yzerman's current Tampa contract will end after 2018-19 season. If Holland is gonna retire at next summer, we need 1-year temporary "bad guy" to do all those ugly moves. Just clean the mess.

Then Stevie could jump in and start from an empty board.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That's a good point. We definitely lost a lot of management and coaching talent over the years. That can only happen for so long before you feel the pinch.

Nowadays everybody has been cropping people from Hawks and Pens management. And now they are gonna fall down.

But the reason for the drop isn't really management. Reason is that their stars did get market valued and/or aged. Didn't it sound familiar?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kenny's latest actions:

Out:
- 2017 3rd
- Jakub Kindl
- Datsyuk caphit
- 2016 1st round #16 overall
- Tomas Jurco
- Brendan Smith
- Tomas Vanek
- Steve Ott
- 2018 5th rounder
- Riley Sheahan
- Ryan Sproul
- Scott Wilson

In:
- Dylan Sadowy
- 6th round pick 2017 (D Reilly Webb)
- 2016 1st round #20 overall (D Dennis Cholowski)
- 2017 3rd round pick (G Keith Petruzzelli)
- 2017 3rd round pick (C Zach Gallant)
- 2018 2nd round pick
- 2017 3rd round pick (F Lane Zablocki)
- Dylan McIlrath
- 2018 6th round pick
- 2018 3rd round pick
- Scott Wilson
- Matt Puempel
- 2018 5th round pick

So in general, Holland has sold 3 draft picks and bought 9 picks.

He has sold 8 players and bought 3 in. Datsyuk caphit was also used as an asset sold out.

Kenny has been doing this minor rebuilding since february 2016. He hasn't bought a vet since march 2015 (Zidlicky). Bigger decisions haven't come yet, because his long-term contracts aren't near of the final year yet.

Pretty much Mike Green is the next in line.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I hope you're not saying dealing Gator, Helm, and Nielsen in the final year of their deals are those bigger decisions. That means the significant moves for the "rebuild" would still be five years out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I hope you're not saying dealing Gator, Helm, and Nielsen in the final year of their deals are those bigger decisions. That means the significant moves for the "rebuild" would still be five years out.

They will happen extactly that way. Team is on pretty good shape on that time.

But there will be somebody else handling those deals.

It's pretty tough to see vet players traded, who are not on their last year of the deal. Because every contender is against the cap, and windows are narrow, nobody has willingness to take multi-year deals on their books. Only UFA-rentals are most common trades to happen.

Just build timeline:

2018 deadline
- Green (for low 1st)

2019 deadline
- Howard
- Nyquist
- Kronwall (if not LTIRetired at summer)

2020 deadline
- Ericsson
- Daley

2020-21
- potential NHL lockout

2021-22
- Nielsen
- DeKeyser

2022-23
- Abdelkader

That's the plan to sell assets out, if the team never hits the playoffs. If they are on a rise with a new young core, you need those vets by ourself. Then selling is not that obvious. Anything after that potential lockout is just probably too far ahead to predict.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So Holland is avoiding a long-term rebuild by taking another 5 years just to get rid of the bad contracts?

Even still, the real way out of this is ultimately to hit big on multiple draft picks at key positions. There better be a very smart regime on deck...

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
They will happen extactly that way. Team is on pretty good shape on that time.

But there will be somebody else handling those deals.

It's pretty tough to see vet players traded, who are not on their last year of the deal. Because every contender is against the cap, and windows are narrow, nobody has willingness to take multi-year deals on their books. Only UFA-rentals are most common trades to happen.

Just build timeline:

2018 deadline
- Green (for low 1st)

2019 deadline
- Howard
- Nyquist
- Kronwall (if not LTIRetired at summer)

2020 deadline
- Ericsson
- Daley

2020-21
- potential NHL lockout

2021-22
- Nielsen
- DeKeyser

2022-23
- Abdelkader

That's the plan to sell assets out, if the team never hits the playoffs. If they are on a rise with a new young core, you need those vets by ourself. Then selling is not that obvious. Anything after that potential lockout is just probably too far ahead to predict.

No, we dont need any of those players. They can all go and nothing would be missed.

EDIT: Maybe Howard

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
- Green, Howard, Nyquist, Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley, Nielsen, DeKeyser, Abdelkader

That's the plan to sell assets

Definition of asset:

"as·set
ˈaset/
noun

1. a useful or valuable thing, person, or quality."
Only 4 of the 9 items listed fit your description.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Why is everyone saying this is Hollands last year? Im not so sure about this theory

He’s getting old, the longer he stays the worse his legacy becomes, he joked he would retire when lidstrom did (don’t think he wants to gm In his 70s). Last year of his contract and he hasn’t been extended yet

If its not this year it’s certainly soon (if he doesn’t get fired)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think this is our last year with him as GM. I hope he moves upstairs. I am going to puke if he somehow winds up over in Maple Leaf land.
I don't want him anywhere near this franchise, unless it's painfully clear that:

1) There is a wholesale change in philosophy with the new regime;
2) His replacement has full authority to act on his own accord, without Kenny hovering over his shoulder; and
3) Holland himself goes on record as supporting a rebuild.

Otherwise, he can keep his outdated and overly conservative tactics to himself.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't want him anywhere near this franchise, unless it's painfully clear that:

1) There is a wholesale change in philosophy with the new regime;
2) His replacement has full authority to act on his own accord, without Kenny hovering over his shoulder; and
3) Holland himself goes on record as supporting a rebuild.

Otherwise, he can keep his outdated and overly conservative tactics to himself.

I don't know that #1 or #3 are realistic asks. I think #2 is though, and that would be good enough for me.

He could be a very valuable advisor, so long as his replacement is an outside hire. I agree they need to break up the groupthink and the conservative little bubble that seem to be going on in the front office. They need an outside voice to come in, then I think there can be a nice balance. But Holland has a lot of experience and can be worth keeping around as long as you let the new GM actually be the GM.

External hire is key. Draper would probably be a Holland clone, or defer to him all the time. Him or Ryan Martin are a big NO for me.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't know that #1 or #3 are realistic asks. I think #2 is though, and that would be good enough for me.

He could be a very valuable advisor, so long as his replacement is an outside hire. I agree they need to break up the groupthink and the conservative little bubble that seem to be going on in the front office. They need an outside voice to come in, then I think there can be a nice balance. But Holland has a lot of experience and can be worth keeping around as long as you let the new GM actually be the GM.

External hire is key. Draper would probably be a Holland clone, or defer to him all the time. Him or Ryan Martin are a big NO for me.
I understand your comments regarding point #1, but I don't see the issue with #3. Would it be so unreasonable, during a press conference for Holland's transition, to have him include a short statement to the effect of, "I look forward to my new role, and <name of new GM> has my full support in rebuilding this franchise back into the exciting hockey club that our great fans deserve."? That seems pretty harmless.

I mean, I'd prefer something specific enough to include phrases like, 'taking a step or two back, in order to take many steps forward', let alone how blunt Shanahan and Babcock were at the Toronto presser, but at least a token, 'Yeah, we're rebuilding now' doesn't seem like a huge ask.

Reactions: avssuc

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I understand your comments regarding point #1, but I don't see the issue with #3. Would it be so unreasonable, during a press conference for Holland's transition, to have him include a short statement to the effect of, "I look forward to my new role, and <name of new GM> has my full support in rebuilding this franchise back into the exciting hockey club that our great fans deserve."? That seems pretty harmless.

I mean, I'd prefer something specific enough to include phrases like, 'taking a step or two back, in order to take many steps forward', let alone how blunt Shanahan and Babcock were at the Toronto presser, but at least a token, 'Yeah, we're rebuilding now' doesn't seem like a huge ask.

I think he is philosophically against it, so I don't expect him to endorse it. And as long as we have a new GM, I don't care if he does or not.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
KH is not going anywhere, just like Blashill, as long as Chris is at the helm.

KH and Chris are very close, and Blash and Chris brew it up together, most nights...

Sorry, just dont see KH being shown the door. Just my $.02 with some facts behind it ^^

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Everyone here has followed the Red Wings too long and is too knowledgable to think Holland won't remain the GM of the Red Wings.

I try to be as optimistic as possible and hope he moves upstairs but I just don't see it.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Everyone here has followed the Red Wings too long and is too knowledgable to think Holland won't remain the GM of the Red Wings.

I try to be as optimistic as possible and hope he moves upstairs but I just don't see it.

This is the first time hes ever entered the last year of his contract without an extension

Reactions: Ezekial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad