Confirmed with Link: This is HUGE. Curtis Douglas signed to NHL contract.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He needs another year in the AHL, but it may only be one more year.

Skating needs to take another step, he needs to show he can be a premier defensive player, and he needs to show his production can go up with better opportunities and line mates (which he should get this year).
He doesn't need to do all three of those things to be a 4C. His production is already good enough for a role like that, especially considering his minutes and playing with Clune/Kopacka. Anything more is gravy. He was a year older than Lowry was in his AHL rookie year but matched his PPG.

The way he generates offense is going to translate well to a 4th line role. He just needs to continue adding Lbs, refine the D game and improve his first step.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He doesn't need to do all three of those things to be a 4C. His production is already good enough for a role like that, especially considering his minutes and playing with Clune/Kopacka. Anything more is gravy. He was a year older than Lowry was in his AHL rookie year but matched his PPG.

The way he generates offense is going to translate well to a 4th line role. He just needs to continue adding Lbs, refine the D game and improve his first step.

adding pounds? He doesn't really need to get any bigger... just faster.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
adding pounds? He doesn't really need to get any bigger... just faster.
Yes he does. End of season Hardy said they expect 2-5 more years before he fully grows into his frame.

You don't miraculously get faster. He needs explosiveness and that comes from lower body strength. He's gained 30lbs since his 20 year old season and his skating's improved as a result. He was a string bean and probably has 10 more lean lbs.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

He isn’t named for the towering West Coast fir tree, yet Curtis Douglas is standing out in a forest of young Maple Leafs.

Listed at 6-feet-8 before elevated on blades, he’s a Gulliver when next to Lilliputian linemates such as Semyon Der-Arguchintsev. But it’s what the 22-year-old forward from Oakville can do with mind and body that is exciting the Leafs and what they hope he will continue to evolve into during this week’s five-team Traverse City Prospects Tournament.

“He’s been a really great story for us,” said Leafs assistant general manager Ryan Hardy, who is wrangling the rookie roster on the trip. “To have had a couple of stops before (a fourth-round pick of the Dallas Stars via the Windsor Spitfires, with side steps to AHL Belleville and Austria) then to come here last year (the Marlies) and perform the way he did … the offensive production (34 points in 67 games) was probably more than we were expecting."

“He’s a big man who works extremely hard at his craft. We have to be patient. I sort of view Curtis as I would a goalie because they take the longest to mature. We have to temper expectations, but he brings a lot of elements extremely important to the future of this organization. If he continues the way he’s going, he’ll be knocking on the door sooner than later.”

Douglas signed a two-year entry-level contract in March. He’s 250 pounds, but no plodder. He’s creative, uses his longer reach to poke check and be strong on draws. And for all those who have seen big Leafs forwards come through who were too docile or one-dimensional, Douglas added 86 penalty minutes last year and had a memorable fight with Wilkes-Barre’s tough customer Jamie Devane.

He started Wednesday’s pre-camp scrimmage between Nick Abruzzese and Der-Arguchintsev. Douglas’s first game, interestingly, will be Thursday against Dallas.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Big boy with innate strength .. at this point all he needs to focus on is his speed .. I am cheering for him to make a break through this season .. big guys always take a little longer to grow into their size especially when size comes a little later in life than most .. look at a kid like Nick same thing small in his MM year then grew late .. it does happen

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

He isn’t named for the towering West Coast fir tree, yet Curtis Douglas is standing out in a forest of young Maple Leafs.

Listed at 6-feet-8 before elevated on blades, he’s a Gulliver when next to Lilliputian linemates such as Semyon Der-Arguchintsev. But it’s what the 22-year-old forward from Oakville can do with mind and body that is exciting the Leafs and what they hope he will continue to evolve into during this week’s five-team Traverse City Prospects Tournament.

“He’s been a really great story for us,” said Leafs assistant general manager Ryan Hardy, who is wrangling the rookie roster on the trip. “To have had a couple of stops before (a fourth-round pick of the Dallas Stars via the Windsor Spitfires, with side steps to AHL Belleville and Austria) then to come here last year (the Marlies) and perform the way he did … the offensive production (34 points in 67 games) was probably more than we were expecting."

“He’s a big man who works extremely hard at his craft. We have to be patient. I sort of view Curtis as I would a goalie because they take the longest to mature. We have to temper expectations, but he brings a lot of elements extremely important to the future of this organization. If he continues the way he’s going, he’ll be knocking on the door sooner than later.”

Douglas signed a two-year entry-level contract in March. He’s 250 pounds, but no plodder. He’s creative, uses his longer reach to poke check and be strong on draws. And for all those who have seen big Leafs forwards come through who were too docile or one-dimensional, Douglas added 86 penalty minutes last year and had a memorable fight with Wilkes-Barre’s tough customer Jamie Devane.

He started Wednesday’s pre-camp scrimmage between Nick Abruzzese and Der-Arguchintsev. Douglas’s first game, interestingly, will be Thursday against Dallas.
Thanks for posting this. He is my break out season prediction (predicting that he makes the LEAFS and stays in the line-up). I watched him on the Marlies last season. He did a lot of good things on the ice at both ends (even scored). Watching him and Ho-sang was interesting. Ho-sang had all.sorts of tools, but always made bad plays. Douglas didn't have the speed/tools but always made good plays.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for posting this. He is my break out season prediction (predicting that he makes the LEAFS and stays in the line-up). I watched him on the Marlies last season. He did a lot of good things on the ice at both ends (even scored). Watching him and Ho-sang was interesting. Ho-sang had all.sorts of tools, but always made bad plays. Douglas didn't have the speed/tools but always made good plays.
Ho-Sang perfectly summed up.

Well done. 👍

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Marlies Even Strength p1/60 this year (min 15gms):

1. Robertson (20): .71
2. Seney (25): .52
3. Ho-Sang (25): .47
4. Steeves (22): .41
5. Douglas (21): .39
6. Michealis (26): .36
7. Blandisi (27): .35
8. SDA (21): .33
9. Anderson (23): .32
10. Suomela (27): .31
11. McCann (25): .28
12. Kopacka (23): .23
13. Chyzowski (21): .22
14. Abramov (20): .21
15. Clune (34): .14

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
So far I’ve liked everything I’ve read about this guy. I’m excited for him but also willing to wait. I feel like players who got used to using their size in Junior and the Minors take a little longer to get to the NHL where everybody is really strong.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Douglas is singlehandedly padding the average forward height! The best part is it sounds like he's innately mean.

I like players that are 6-9 that play like they're 7-9. I'ts psychological warfare simply putting him out on the ice.

I'd put on the ice just to mess with the opposition. Is anybody really interested to test him if he is really mean. :)

Put him in front of the net on the 2nd PP, and see which Dman wants to move him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Love this shot ..

The AHL photographer after a Marlies goal tries to get as many of his teamates into the shot that Douglas' head no longer appears in the picture.

1663423323185.png

Well at least he got his skates into the shot.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Love this shot ..

The AHL photographer after a Marlies goal tries to get as many of his teamates into the shot that Douglas' head no longer appears in the picture.

View attachment 585387

Well at least he got his skates into the shot.
Hahahaha....nice one. Just look at the size difference between the skates and knees.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I assume the kids nickname is Fir.

He may need another year of seasoning just so they can help him become the player he can be, but part of me wants him to make it now.

Reactions: geo25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad