Post-Game Talk (GBU): They blue it

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
What do we consider fine? Our PK (which he's been playing a lot of minutes on) is abysmal and all he does at ES is kill time. He's not producing offense and it's not like he's shutting down lines on defense, either. He's just...there. For 20 minutes a game.

He has zero finish right now. That OT chance he had was his season in a nutshell.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't noticed many glaring mistakes by Gionta that lead to bad turnovers and/or chances against. And I'll take "just being there" over what Ennis has been doing lately.

Like I said, he needs his minutes reduced. That will help.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Unless Gionta is given the puck within 15 feet of the net, he can't do much. Watch him, and Moulson for that matter, they cannot carry the puck in any useful manner thru the neutral zone to create entries.

They both, due to physical skills are at this point playing a 4th line style dump and chase, unless ROR does it all.

With those types of zone entries the team and ROR would be better off with des on the line because he at least has the right skill set to play that style.

Watching Gionta's speed last night against a good team should be making it abundantly clear he is being put in a position that is well over his head.

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Ullmark is awesome. I was really harsh on him to start with because the kid could never stay on his feet after the first rebound, and it's still kind of a problem... but I can't remember the last goaltender on this team that followed the puck as well as him. He was cool as a cucumber in the shootout too.

Between ROR, Reinhart and Eichel, this top 6 has some serious talent. Now we just need to start pairing them with guys that aren't total anchors like Moulson and Gionta (though Gionta has been doing a bit better, just over/misused) and playing to their strengths. Stop making it about trying to sap what little Gionta has left, and more about what it takes to put those guys in position to succeed.

I'm not ready to kill Ennis like some of you. He had a really bad game, and I think that shootout attempt was just a culmination of all his frustration throughout the night (or perhaps the season)... but he's got the tools. The effort is there. He just needs a good sit down with Bylsma about what exactly his role is on this team, and what his role is with his linemates. He doesn't seem to know. I think he may just be the biggest casualty of all the line juggling going on.

I went from loving McCabe to disliking him this game, rinse and repeat. Seems like sometimes he makes an absolutely phenomenal defensive move, immediately followed by some bonehead giveaway or penalty. The fact he can make those great plays gives me hope he can be a really good defenseman on this team though, just needs to settle down.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Gionta (along with Girgensons) so far this season has been the guy Bylsma tosses out there when he hopes not to get scored on for the next minute but also doesn't have any plans on scoring in the next minute. The problem is he's not deployed with by far our best player. I have no problem with Gionta the offensive black hole as long as he continues to not get scored against 5 on 5 at the rate he has been. I do have a problem with Gionta the black hole being paired with another black hole and then strapping that duo to Ryan O'Reilly's back for 21 minutes a game. It's insane.

We basically only have 1 effective line each night because Bylsma is spreading out the talent so thin on each line.

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
I think Sabres fans waste too much time talking about the production of our secondary players like Gionta.

What's been bugging me lately is Eichel. Yes, that's right I said it, Eichel. I don't feel like he's giving 100% on offense. This has been going on since after that Tampa game. He's floating out there. He's doing nothing but cute little dekes when he has the puck. He's not getting dirty out there. He's been acting very much like a prince out there and the reason is that nobody is calling him out for it. Not the fans, not his teammates, and not Bylsma it appears.

Everybody saw Gionta miss the chance to pass Eichel the puck in OT, but who saw Eichel get off the ice with 30 seconds left in the OT while we were threatening in the Blues zone? Is that the clutch competitor I've been told about the last year? Was he tired? Get your ass on the ice and score when it counts.

Other than that, Ennis hasn't been the same since he was manhandled a few games ago. I recall the exact moment Ennis lost his confidence. He will not get it back unless he starts standing up to the bigger players. I'm positive the boarding call last night was a passive aggressive move stemming from his frustrations. Let's hope he turns it around, because right now he's the bullied, not the bully. And nobody respects the bullied, not even fans.

Other than that, I think this team is on the edge of breaking loose. We hung around with the Stars but Dallas willed it's way at the end, something we haven't learned how to do yet. Last night we had the Blues with their backs to the wall during the dying seconds but couldn't put it in. I'm telling you, we're close. We can get over the scoring hump in the next few games. Hopefully on Saturday.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I think Sabres fans waste too much time talking about the production of our secondary players like Gionta.

What's been bugging me lately is Eichel. Yes, that's right I said it, Eichel. I don't feel like he's giving 100% on offense. This has been going on since after that Tampa game. He's floating out there. He's doing nothing but cute little dekes when he has the puck. He's not getting dirty out there. He's been acting very much like a prince out there and the reason is that nobody is calling him out for it. Not the fans, not his teammates, and not Bylsma it appears.

Everybody saw Gionta miss the chance to pass Eichel the puck in OT, but who saw Eichel get off the ice with 30 seconds left in the OT while we were threatening in the Blues zone? Is that the clutch competitor I've been told about the last year? Was he tired? Get your ass on the ice and score when it counts.

Other than that, Ennis hasn't been the same since he was manhandled a few games ago. I recall the exact moment Ennis lost his confidence. He will not get it back unless he starts standing up to the bigger players. I'm positive the boarding call last night was a passive aggressive move stemming from his frustrations. Let's hope he turns it around, because right now he's the bullied, not the bully. And nobody respects the bullied, not even fans.

Other than that, I think this team is on the edge of breaking loose. We hung around with the Stars but Dallas willed it's way at the end, something we haven't learned how to do yet. Last night we had the Blues with their backs to the wall during the dying seconds but couldn't put it in. I'm telling you, we're close. We can get over the scoring hump in the next few games. Hopefully on Saturday.

We must have been watching a different game. Last night, Eichel was engaged, made numerous good plays with and without the puck, helped set up one goal with an excellent pass, etc... The couple of games before this you might have had a point, but not the Blues game.

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
We must have been watching a different game. Last night, Eichel was engaged, made numerous good plays with and without the puck, helped set up one goal with an excellent pass, etc... The couple of games before this you might have had a point, but not the Blues game.

For any other player, he had a good game. But for Eichel, I feel like he can do better.

That kid has another gear that I rarely see him use. Maybe he feels like he's doing good enough just the way he is. Maybe the fans do too.

He'll never win the Calder playing the way he is now.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He has zero finish right now. That OT chance he had was his season in a nutshell.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't noticed many glaring mistakes by Gionta that lead to bad turnovers and/or chances against. And I'll take "just being there" over what Ennis has been doing lately.

Like I said, he needs his minutes reduced. That will help.

This is what I've said too. People are upset and it's the lack of finish. He isn't Tyler turnover or the invisiblity twins of Girgensons and Larsson. He's noticeable...and it's for not finishing. Not for playing bad. He's gotten as many or more quality chances than anyone on the roster. That doesn't happen by playing like ****.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Everybody saw Gionta miss the chance to pass Eichel the puck in OT, but who saw Eichel get off the ice with 30 seconds left in the OT while we were threatening in the Blues zone? Is that the clutch competitor I've been told about the last year? Was he tired? Get your ass on the ice and score when it count.

This is a joke post right? I mean it's about the funniest thing I've ever read and too perfect to not be on purpose. It even invokes the comedy rule of 3 by using "out there" thrice.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't know what games people are watching. He was the best forward on the ice against Dallas and his line was the only one that showed up for much of the game at St. Louis. He's better defending than half the defenseman on his back checks.

It's literally scoresheet or bust around here.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
How bad has Murray's FA signings been? Guys like Moulson, Gionta, and Franson are some of our worst players, yet paid the most.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I don't know what games people are watching. He was the best forward on the ice against Dallas and his line was the only one that showed up for much of the game at St. Louis. He's better defending than half the defenseman on his back checks.

It's literally scoresheet or bust around here.

To clarify my comments, I do think he has been great, but he was much more explosive earlier in the season than he has been the last couple games. It's possible that my perception is off as he is against better teams now. That's a definite possibility.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
To clarify my comments, I do think he has been great, but he was much more explosive earlier in the season than he has been the last couple games. It's possible that my perception is off as he is against better teams now. That's a definite possibility.
I also kind of feel like Eichel has maybe gotten a little complacent and doesn't "turn it on" enough throughout his short first season so far, since we know what he's capable of. But last night's game wasn't one of those situations. He was all over the place.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
How bad has Murray's FA signings been? Guys like Moulson, Gionta, and Franson are some of our worst players, yet paid the most.

Murray signed Gionta to reach the cap floor last year and inject some leadership into a young lockerroom. He didn't sign Gionta to be a world-beater or even be part of the future contending team. It's year one of the climb toward the top. By the time the Sabres are there in a couple years, Gionta will be happily retired.

Franson's also been perfectly fine and is on a two-year deal. By the time he moves on, he'll be replaced by a better player.

The only one that concerns me slightly is Moulson based on the length of the deal. They signed him to five years to get to the cap floor and under the assumption he'd still be a serviceable middle-six player even in the last year of his contract. Unfortunately, he seems to have slid to middle-six territory already, which doesn't bode well for where he may slide to in a few years.

skibum

Jan 23, 2011
What can you say? They played well enough to win but got stuffed by a goaltender on fire. At least they got a point.

Deleted member 27798

Except for Gionta's heroic run at the end of last season fueled by Nolan's "us against them(the fans)" mentality, he has done squat. Even though he has one more year left on his contract after this season, I am much more worried about Moulson's contract which is even more ridiculous.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Im sorry, i can semi stomach Gionta playing 1st line with ROR 5 on 5, he doesnt get exposed as much, but he has no business being out there on the PP1 unit. I was hoping Bylsma would learn after his veteran favouritism in Pittsburgh but this has an all to similar feeling.

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
I think the Gionta hate is a bit overboard at this point. Ennis,Moulson,Girgs why don't they get equal bad mouthing? Frankly I have been relatively pleased with the team so far. Biggest concern for me is Ennis as last year was the best of an otherwise very average career.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think the Gionta hate is a bit overboard at this point. Ennis,Moulson,Girgs why don't they get equal bad mouthing? Frankly I have been relatively pleased with the team so far. Biggest concern for me is Ennis as last year was the best of an otherwise very average career.
Because Gionta's ice time is off the charts, especially for an older guy playing very mediocre to bad hockey.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

Because Ennis, Moulson and especially Girgensons aren't playing nearly as poorly -- or as excessively -- as Gio.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Because Ennis, Moulson and especially Girgensons aren't playing nearly as poorly -- or as excessively -- as Gio.

Moulson has earned a lot more criticism than he's received so far this year.

This board has a habit of piling on certain players, overly criticizing their bad plays, and ignoring the good ones.

And no, I'm not either a Gionta or Ennis fan. Ennis, in particular, needs to step his game up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad