Post-Game Talk (GBU): They blue it

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
G: No Reinhart in the OT

B: Gionta not shooting in the shoot out

U: Gionta not playing goal for the shoot out

Deleted member 27798

G -

ROR...If it wasn't for Allen, he would have had 4 goals.
Reinhart
Ullmark

B -

Line combos. Moulson and Gionta do not deserve the minutes they are getting. Also, McGinn should be on any line but the 4th. He plays hard, and has skill where he would not look out of place.

U -

Ennis. Yeah poor Ennis. Everyone is piling on him. DESERVEDLY SO. Caps off an awful night by firing a slapshot wide from 10 feet away in the shootout.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Just saw the third and overtime.

G: Eichel with some rushes.
Ristolainen.
Ullmark

B: Not getting a little more movement on our 5 on 3. You generate better looks at the net when you're getting more than one look at the net over and over.

U: Kane is a horse but he's still dumb.
Gionta in OT. Wow.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
G ... A road point against a premiere western team, battling all the way through.

B ... Another goal call goes against.

U ... With 21 minutes in ice time, Bylsma risks wearing out his veteran star by mid-season.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Good:
Lots of good, held our own against a legit SC contender.
Moulson-ROR-Gionta at ES was beastly
Larsson was a manimal tonight along the boards
Eichel showed signs of busting out of his little mini-slump
Gotta give a shout to Jake Allen -- if it wasn't for him, Sabres likely get 2 points

Bad:
That first 5-on-3

Ugly:
Gionta playing darned near half of OT.
Reinhart playing no OT.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
They scored two ES goals and had too many opportunities not to get a PPG, so for me, this loss is on the PP. Also, Gionta's extended shifts need to end, while no OT shift for Reinhart does not compute.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
G
Can we use Pegula-bucks to clone ROR, Reinhart, and Risto, please?
Kane on the forecheck
Colo was decent

B
Ennis
Gionta
The PK
Failing to convert 2 extended 5 on 3s, though some of that was Jake Allen going hero mode. The problem of neither skaters nor the puck moving at all in these situations (something that was common even as far back as Lindy's time here) needs to be corrected.

U
Gionta's ice time
Gionta in OT
Gionta getting PP time over Reinhart (are we seeing a trend here?)
Disco Dan deploying the 4th line for O-zone draws

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Sabres need to work on penalty kill. If we were average we would have a lot more points. OT looked better than last time.

Loved Kane. He makes this team much better and opens things up for others.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
G
Gionta in the 2nd period

B
Gionta in the faceoff dot (only 1 win)

U
Gionta in the shower (right about now)

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The days of being proud and content with a point against teams like St Louis are over. We need to be winning these games plain and simple. This team still cannot ****ing score. I thought I read somewhere Giontas third year is possibly voidable. Please be.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
They scored two ES goals and had too many opportunities not to get a PPG, so for me, this loss is on the PP. Also, Gionta's extended shifts need to end, while no OT shift for Reinhart does not compute.

Yeah this game should have never went to OT. They had something like 2 minutes and 30 seconds of 5 on 3 time. To not get at least 1 goal there is pretty inexcusable.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

That 2nd 5 on 3 was Allen pretty much entering "Brick Wall" mode.

That first 5 on 3 was atrocious. No one wanted to shoot, and only Risto and Eichel were moving.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
Loved seeing calm Linus in the shootout. I was nervous when Tarasenko skated in on him, and Linus just stares him down the whole way. Beautiful to watch.

Steen's goal: I'm a little miffed that the league only needed a few seconds to say nah. At least pretend it's a tough decision when you screw us eh. :sarcasm:

Would've been sweet if Ennis scored that slapshot attempt and then had it called back for being offsides. Can that happen? I dunno but it'd be worth it just to see this board explode!

Last edited:

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Yeah this game should have never went to OT. They had something like 2 minutes and 30 seconds of 5 on 3 time. To not get at least 1 goal there is pretty inexcusable.

This team not very good in unusual situations. 5 on 3, PK, OT, Shootout.

Probably because very young, new players. Time for Dan to start focusing in these areas.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
To be fair St. Louis is missing two of their top forwards, their top defensemen forgot how to play Hockey after Ennis hit him, and half of their players that actually did dress tonight were game time decisions or just coming off an injury.

On the other hand that's the first time we have played St. Louis in what seems like a decade where we didn't get curb stomped.

I think the number one reason we will not make the playoffs isn't because we need another LHD or a goaltender. It's because our bottom 2 lines are completely useless every single night and the only time the players on those two lines ever do anything is when they're playing on the top 2 lines for whatever reason. McGinn, Foligno, and most of the time Deslauriers are just non factors unless they're bumped up a few lines. You can start to throw Larsson into that list too but he's at least annoying to play against and does elevate those around him even if his personal numbers don't get impacted. Ennis, Gionta, Moulson are three more players that do next to nothing unless they are getting top line minutes. Just too many spare parts players on the team that don't really serve a purpose on their own.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I can't get too worked up about Gio. At this point in his career, he's clearly a 3rd liner at best.

He's being totally misused by a coach infamous for favouring veteran players to a ridiculous extent. Why blame Gionta for that?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
To be fair St. Louis is missing two of their top forwards, their top defensemen forgot how to play Hockey after Ennis hit him, and half of their players that actually did dress tonight were game time decisions or just coming off an injury.

On the other hand that's the first time we have played St. Louis in what seems like a decade where we didn't get curb stomped.

I think the number one reason we will not make the playoffs isn't because we need another LHD or a goaltender. It's because our bottom 2 lines are completely useless every single night and the only time the players on those two lines ever do anything is when they're playing on the top 2 lines for whatever reason. McGinn, Foligno, and most of the time Deslauriers are just non factors unless they're bumped up a few lines. You can start to throw Larsson into that list too but he's at least annoying to play against and does elevate those around him even if his personal numbers don't get impacted. Ennis, Gionta, Moulson are three more players that do next to nothing unless they are getting top line minutes. Just too many spare parts players on the team that don't really serve a purpose on their own.
Christ I forgot Legwand who is the most useless of them all. That's 4 players in our bottom 6 right there that serve no purpose on the team other than to be on the worst PK unit in the league. Then throw in Ennis, Moulson and Gionta as three players who aren't completely terrible but still need the lineup to be molded around them to make them productive and you have 7 forwards on the current team that wont be on the team if we are ever going to be contenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad