These Playoffs Have Involved the Most Dirty, "non-hockey" Plays in a Long Time.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I think the level of cheapshots is about that same as it always has been, people (the sports media especially) are just more senstive to the high hits because we're more educated about the long-term effects of them.

in other words, we're all biased. It's PR, and it's a positive step in the right direction

I don't agree. it's been pretty nasty this year. some of these series are all out war.

Reactions: dkhockey

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Naw just pc mentality is at an all time high these days, to much hormones in the food turning the future generation of men into sissies. Hockey has always been rough and like this just more ways for ppl to complain thru social media wich influences it.

Get rid of the instigator rule for 2 years and then study to see ho things are different and if it's better

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
OP says there have been "countless" dirty, non-hockey plays but fails to list any. I think there have been like 3 or 4, which is probably par for the course this time of year. Also, even if there have been more, never underestimate the power of video and the internet, as well as people's penchant to comment on any little thing that ever happens. You will have to do a lot more to convince me this is different than any other year.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
If you took the time to reply me only to write this, it's working. :lol:
I mean I agree with you. I wonder what people would think of good ole Clode Lemu if he played today? I know one thing I'd take him on the Caps in a heartbeat. Put him on a line with Dale Hunter and Tom Wilson (someone has to play out of position but whatev, it's not like we'd be trying to create offense, just raise a lot of hell) and we're good to go.

The entire Islanders fanbase would be re-named Fukushima.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
I mean I agree with you. I wonder what people would think of good ole Clode Lemu if he played today? I know one thing I'd take him on the Caps in a heartbeat. Put him on a line with Dale Hunter and Tom Wilson and we're good to go.
My bad, I misunderstood you. Just seeing the reactions about what Brad Marchand does these playoffs, these boards would probably explode with Claude Lemieux.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
besides the draper hit, i can't find any video evidence that Claude Lemieux was dirtier than Marchand
It's because the Draper hit is his more notorious act. But if you had have the chance to see him play, you would think otherwise.

Brad Marchand is only a dirty rat but Lemieux was really dangerous, he absolutely hated his opponents.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
It's because the Draper hit is his more notorious act. But if you had have the chance to see him play, you would think otherwise.

Brad Marchand is only a dirty rat but Lemieux was really dangerous, he absolutely hated his opponents.
Dale Hunter likewise. He wasn't known for being dirty but Scott Stevens really seemed to hate guys between the whistles.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
Who remembers the Avs-Red Wings rivalry/feud?
Looking back at the bloody Avalanche-Wings rivalry

And guess what? It was must-watch hockey. It was INCREDIBLE. And I'm not even talking about the dirty stuff, the level of intensity was through the roof and there was cheap sh*t going on left and right but everyone knew what they were getting themselves into in those series, they battled their asses off and it was probably the best hockey I've ever seen in terms of pure intensity.

The cheap stuff happens in good playoff hockey, players know it and it's a matter of both teams taking it as well as they dish it out. If it boils over into a fight or two so be it, but it makes for great hockey.

I don't condone or enjoy dangerous, dirty hockey, I've been critical of Marchand for the dirty stuff but will always always support him and anyone else who muck it up in front of the net, in the corners, a little shot after the whistle. Don't go out looking to hurt someone and everything else is fair game to me, it makes for the absolute best hockey because you know both teams are doing absolutely everything they can to win.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
The NHL was more fun when it was full of goons. Now it's full of guys who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag but play like dirty P.O.S

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Dale Hunter likewise. He wasn't known for being dirty but Scott Stevens really seemed to hate guys between the whistles.
Indeed about Hunter, pests today are angels compared to these guys.

I don't know about Stevens, I just think he was a really competitive guy but nothing more. You could see it when he played especially against Lindros and when he knocked him out on his famous bodycheck, he was upset and crying in the locker room about the result of the hit.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Indeed about Hunter, pests today are angels compared to these guys.

I don't know about Stevens, I just think he was a really competitive guy but nothing more. You could see it when he played especially against Lindros and when he knocked him out on his famous bodycheck, he was upset and crying in the locker room about the result of the hit.
Stevens on Kariya was horrific. This is why every young player should be made to watch these videos "this is why you keep your head up."

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Stevens on Kariya was horrific. This is why every young player should be made to watch these videos "this is why you keep your head up."
Exactly, that's what Lindros should have done, he is the perfect example.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
besides the draper hit, i can't find any video evidence that Claude Lemieux was dirtier than Marchand
He was definitely a dirty player, and not just because of the Draper hit.

One of his other more famous incidents is when he "fought" Peplinski. It's a bench clearing brawl and Peplinski gets his hands on Lemieux. Claude turtles and tackles him to the ice where he proceeds to try and gouge Peplinski's eyes out as the ref is on top of him. Peplinski puts his hands out to defend himself and Lemieux nearly bit one of them off.

Skip to about the 1:39 mark

Reactions: dkhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad