These Playoffs Have Involved the Most Dirty, "non-hockey" Plays in a Long Time.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Agreed. The Bruins have really upped their game this postseason in terms of slewfoots, butt-ends, slashes, dives etc.
Hilarious, Marleau slew footed Mcquaid and slashed Rask in the head, not a call on anyone of them and the Canadian commentators ignored it. Diving, how bout that non slew foot that McAvoy did not do and the Leaf guy launched himself into orbit. Marchand slashed the air same as the giant head Reilly did. Goes both ways depends on which media is in control and who falls for the hyped BS announcers. Turn the sound off watch the game with your eyes people. Marchand is no angel but Hyman has been head hunting and turtleneck boy laid in 4 cross checks with no call too. Bruins/leafs series has been tame compared to the others, funny how its always lets focus on the Bruins. Hate is strong with the OP.

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Funny how Malkin slew footed his way into his own injury and the media ignores what he tried to do and did.

Last edited:

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
This is what HFBoards wants pretty much. So much complaining about "dirty plays" yet you are the first ones who want the tough guys out. For the most part, the majority of those guys live by the code (yes, there are exceptions). You realize that the problem is these rats RUN from their problems? And they're okay with it. There's zero enforcing, zero policing. When you make millions of dollars all you need to do is throw a cheap shot then run your mouth. The ref kicks you out with a 10 min misconduct, the league fines you 5k, life is good.

It also allows the tension to boil over. When a game gets super chippy and borderline, an enforcer on enforcer fight will steal the attention and the animosity to calm it down. Okay, the fight is out of the way. The game can go on.

Instead we get the real tough guys out of the game, like you all want on here. Instead we get a bunch of weasel rats who would rather take a 10 minute misconduct or a slew foot and a game misconduct than getting punched in the face (who wouldn't on here honestly?). Hockey is and always will be a physical game, and dirty stuff is always going to happen. I'd just rather have a guy with some honor and throwing fists like hockey was originally played than these puke pest wussy replacements throwing nut shots and slew foots then running for their 10 minute misconduct. Crisis averted. Then you all flip out about the slew foots and nut shots. Pick one.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I agree to a certain extent.

It's not really more or less dirty than last year, or the year before that, or the year before that. Unless you just assume this first round will be the norm. But there have been some interesting surprises for me.

The Bruins are quite often in the playoffs despite a couple of years in the last decade or whatever - so yeah, the bruins are always dirty and Marchand is always the dirtiest. But with so many dirty plays in just 4 games so far? Seems even they are possibly even more dirty at least so far.

Then there is the Nashville Predators that I don't ever remember being dirty. Maybe a play here or there from Hartnell and Subban but nothing out of the ordinary. This series has been different. Nash has been dirtier than I can ever remember them being.

There have been a ton of dirty plays when it's still just round 1. If this continues then it would be the dirtiest in recent memory, but it probably won't be since several of the dirty teams are already out (Minny, Ducks)

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I agree to a certain extent.

It's not really more or less dirty than last year, or the year before that, or the year before that. Unless you just assume this first round will be the norm. But there have been some interesting surprises for me.

The Bruins are quite often in the playoffs despite a couple of years in the last decade or whatever - so yeah, the bruins are always dirty and Marchand is always the dirtiest. But with so many dirty plays in just 4 games so far? Seems even they are possibly even more dirty at least so far.

Then there is the Nashville Predators that I don't ever remember being dirty. Maybe a play here or there from Hartnell and Subban but nothing out of the ordinary. This series has been different. Nash has been dirtier than I can ever remember them being.

There have been a ton of dirty plays when it's still just round 1. If this continues then it would be the dirtiest in recent memory, but it probably won't be since several of the dirty teams are already out (Minny, Ducks)

Hartman was speared in the groin twice and the refs didn't call either one. Hartman later elbows an Avs player in the head and gets suspended for a game. Maybe the elbow doesn't happen if the refs did they job on the spears. The player who speared scored a goal in Game 5, a 2-1 Avs win. I am not saying that 2 wrongs make a right, but that officiating was sub par. Players get hurt, players get mad, more players get hurt. The refs aren't protecting the players!

Reactions: blueberrie

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Hartman was speared in the groin twice and the refs didn't call either one. Hartman later elbows an Avs player in the head and gets suspended for a game. Maybe the elbow doesn't happen if the refs did they job on the spears. The player who speared scored a goal in Game 5, a 2-1 Avs win. I am not saying that 2 wrongs make a right, but that officiating was sub par. Players get hurt, players get mad, more players get hurt. The refs aren't protecting the players!
I agree with you. Totally.

If the refs were doing their job, half the dirty play we've seen probably wouldn't be there.

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
People who think enforcers reduced cheap shots never watched any Oilers/Flames series.

How many games for this one?

First of all your argument doesn't even make sense because Mark Messier is not an enforcer... He's 3rd all-time in scoring. One of the greatest players to have ever played. He's a superstar.

Hockey is an eye for an eye game. If a goon cheapshots your star, then you send your goon out after their star. I could find dozens of examples of leagues without enforcers having more dirty plays than leagues with enforcers.

Just look at college hockey. College hockey is beyond dirty. Why? Fighting is illegal. Guys get cheapshot all the time in college hockey and don't have to answer to anyone. Then take a different group for example. NHL players who played in Europe in leagues with no fighting and then came to the NHL, all said the no fighting leagues (which is pretty similar to no enforcers) were extremely dirty compared to the NHL. Enforcers throw cheapshots every now and then yes, but most of the time it's in response to a cheapshot thrown by someone on the other team to start with and is small in relation to the amount of cheapshots laid out when there are no enforcers.

You don't have to elbow someone in the head for it to be a cheapshot. Slewfoots, slashes to the wrist, crosschecks to the face, are all a form of a cheapshot where someone can wind up injured because of it. Cheapshots will always be a bigger argument when it's a goon handing it out compared to a skill player handing it out. A skill player will always get the "well he's just frustrated" defense, while a goon will always get the "he's only out there to hurt people" attack.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
First of all your argument doesn't even make sense because Mark Messier is not an enforcer... He's 3rd all-time in scoring. One of the greatest players to have ever played. He's a superstar.

Hockey is an eye for an eye game. If a goon cheapshots your star, then you send your goon out after their star. I could find dozens of examples of leagues without enforcers having more dirty plays than leagues with enforcers.

Just look at college hockey. College hockey is beyond dirty. Why? Fighting is illegal. Guys get cheapshot all the time in college hockey and don't have to answer to anyone. Then take a different group for example. NHL players who played in Europe in leagues with no fighting and then came to the NHL, all said the no fighting leagues (which is pretty similar to no enforcers) were extremely dirty compared to the NHL. Enforcers throw cheapshots every now and then yes, but most of the time it's in response to a cheapshot thrown by someone on the other team to start with and is small in relation to the amount of cheapshots laid out when there are no enforcers.

You don't have to elbow someone in the head for it to be a cheapshot. Slewfoots, slashes to the wrist, crosschecks to the face, are all a form of a cheapshot where someone can wind up injured because of it. Cheapshots will always be a bigger argument when it's a goon handing it out compared to a skill player handing it out. A skill player will always get the "well he's just frustrated" defense, while a goon will always get the "he's only out there to hurt people" attack.

My argument would make more sense to you if you were able to understand what my argument was.

There were no shortage of enforcers and fights in those series but they were the dirtiest hockey games I've ever seen.

Deterrence is a myth. Only idiots believe in it.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
IMO this is a systemic problem in the NHL resulting from the "let them play" mentality. The NHL and the referees have chosen to intentionally allow minor transgressions to go unpunished, which results in the players pushing the envelope a little further to see where exactly the line is, how much they're really allowed to get away with.

The thing about that though is, it isn't the player's fault. Imagine being in their shoes, you're paid millions of dollars and more than that you care passionately about your teammates and the fans around you. You're looking for any little edge to get ahead in the game, to help your team win. So you hook a guy when you know it won't be called, that player gets more pissed off and slashes you next period, so you 'finish your check' and hit 'em late. We saw an example of this exact thing with the biggest suspension of this years playoffs so far, the Maple Leafs Kadri. He saw a Bruins player elbow Marner in the head, which pissed him off, so he delivered an illegal hit to that player as payback (and admitted to this reasoning). The refs had an opportunity to blow the play dead and call the elbow but they let them play instead, and things escalated.

This begins and ends with the league choosing not to call penalties. If they want it so you're allowed to hook and slash in the playoffs, fine, write it in to the rules and have everyone on the same page. But if the NHL chooses to continue allowing all of these 'unwritten rules' determine how calls are made and intentionally refereeing the league differently game by game, we'll continue to deal with this for a very long time.

Just my 2 cents.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
What's life like when you look at everything through either rose-colored or sepia-toned glasses? There were plenty of guys, including during the heyday of lawlessness in the 1970s and 1980s, who would run around and never be held accountable physically or in fights. Your post could have been written in 1988 instead of 2018; the only thing that would be different is the names involved.

No, it wouldn't. Brad Marchand, Nazem Kadri, Hedman and his nut spears (playoffs specifically), Antoine Roussel run around slew footing, spearing, nut shots, doing ridiculous shit. They then just run and run and run. No accountability, and the dirty stuff is a different breed.

Sure you had dirty shit back in the day. Mark Messier was king of elbows. He also had 62 NHL fights. Ask Ulfie what he thinks of Tie. According to DYG.com, Ulfie was involved in 12 unfair fights. You think he wasn't held accountable or gone after? The guy still had 80 NHL fights and he was the dirtiest guy in the league probably. What did Colton Orr do to Patrick Kaleta? He jumped him straight up. Hordichuk jumped Avery. And this is going back 10ish years, not 30.

This game has a lower accountability factor by the year. The dirty stuff is no longer Mark Messier, a tough leader who backs his dirty crap up. I'd rather see a guy take a run at someone, then drop his gloves and own up to it. Today, it's another man spearing another man in his dick and running away for a 10 minute misconduct. It's a joke, and completely different.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Every decade is less dirty than the next.

Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't remember the average games.

I remember Rockies games in the 70s. I remember the goon arms race of the 80s. I definitely remember the violent Spitfires games in the 80s and the crap Linseman used to pull. I remember all the slashes and hooks of the 90s and vicious headshots, and I remember all the guys everyone else does in the 00s. The game is a game today. You often didn't watch hockey in the 70s even though that's what the ticket said you paid for.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
oh I got it, and thought I'd show it in spades in case some people had never seen that, cheers
I mean a part of me says Dale Hunter was a dirty SOB. Then another part of me says if you give me a single Dale Hunter on the Caps today we might not win the Cup with a healthy roster but the Pens wouldn't either.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I mean a part of me says Dale Hunter was a dirty SOB. Then another part of me says if you give me a single Dale Hunter on the Caps today we might not win the Cup with a healthy roster but the Pens wouldn't either.
You have Wilson, one goon is enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->