These Playoffs Have Involved the Most Dirty, "non-hockey" Plays in a Long Time.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I'm not even particularly a Marchand hater, I just hate dirty plays in general.

For people who disagree with me, and who are clearly biased due to their love for Marchand, what do you think of Hedman's spear on Hischier? Just good, hard nosed hockey?
Hedman gave him a shot in the pills.

Hischier (if he could cough them down from his stomach) or one of his teammates should’ve drilled Hedman in the beak for it.

If the refs were doing their job they’d even up the penalties afterwards and that would be that.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hedman gave him a shot in the pills.

Hischier (if he could cough them down from his stomach) or one of his teammates should’ve drilled Hedman in the beak for it.

If the refs were doing their job they’d even up the penalties afterwards and that would be that.

Really, so that's what you think should happen? You think that players should just be swinging their sticks at one another's testicles? You're taking a new approach to an eye for an eye, and suggesting a testicle for a testicle, effectively turning the 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs into Men's Ice Fencing? You really think that's a good idea? What a f***ing joke.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Really, so that's what you think should happen? You think that players should just be swinging their sticks at one another's testicles? You're taking a new approach to an eye for an eye, and suggesting a testicle for a testicle, effectively turning the 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs into Men's Ice Fencing? You really think that's a good idea? What a ****ing joke.
Not sure what else you’re looking for here to be honest. The nhl has already made their bed with these incidents in the past. Fines seem to be the biggest punishment a guy will get.

So let them deal with it on the ice. It’s entertaining if nothing else.

Like I said before, just make sure the penalties even up. And move on!

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
It's definitely been chippy. A throw back to old time hockey that's for sure. Love it.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
it's seems it's always in the 1st round that the physical play is at it's highest. Probably because the energy tank is full, adrenaline is on etc. After the 2nd round players are exhausted/hurt/injured si less of scrumble after whistle.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Direct result of the league cracking down on enforcers/fighting imo.

Players wouldn't take these gutless liberties if they knew someone would be hunting them if they tried it.

If the league consistently dropped the hammer on players for this shit it would stop happening.

If players can get away with it they will keep doing it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Direct result of the league cracking down on enforcers/fighting imo.

Players wouldn't take these gutless liberties if they knew someone would be hunting them if they tried it.

And yet we saw all this and worse over multiple decades when fighting and enforcers were commonplace in the NHL. The most common result was each team’s enforcers fought each other, then the skilled hockey players continued on afterward.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ok and? It's been great. The more chippiness the better, love the playoffs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I agree with the title, actually. I feel like there have been a high number of dirty plays in these playoffs, especially at the start.

That said, OP lost me with citing the Marchand play of all things. A player falling into another is what you want to base your argument on? There have been cross-checks to the heads, a horrible boarding of a defenceless player, predatory hits to the head, etc.... and you are bringing up a player awkwardly falling into another as a primary example? Odd choice.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't think it's even remotely different this year compared to other years. And if we go as far back as pre full season lockout era, things used to be arguably worse.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Every one should go watch the "Ice Guardians" Doc on netflix. Very obvious what is happening right now without enforcers out there keeping things in check. The rats are running free in this league without fear. I know I am a Bruins fan, and we have one of the biggest "rats" but I guarantee you if Kadri/Marchand's of the world were doing their thing back in the early 90's Wendel Clark and Cam Neely both feed these guys their lunch every time they do something stupid. The instigator rule really changed hockey.

And that's not to say pest dont have a place in hockey. They lived back then too. Many examples. I actually like pests as long as they dont injure players. I think its super entertaining, their doing what they can to get under the skin of the opponent and help their team win. However, if they injure or INTEND to injure a player with their antics I am completely against it. I think that is what were seeing more of in today's game.

I love Marchand for the most part, but I will not defend him when he clearly crosses that line. It wasnt really until this last season maybe two that he has crossed that line IMO (there might be evidence previously I just cant remember everything). Ill give two examples in regards to Marchand in particular. Lightly punching Sedin in the face repeatedly is the antic of a pest doing his job (which like I said, in the old days would have been dealt with by Gino Odjick quite swiftly). Where as the incident in NJ with Marchand giving Johansson a flying elbow to me is crossing the line and should not be in the game. Frankly since there are no "Guardians" out there anymore so to speak, the league has to take on the onus of protecting the players. If they slapped Marchand with a 30 game suspension I guarantee you he changes his game and so do the rest of the rats. If baseball players are suspended for like 80 games for trying to gain an advantage then hockey players should be suspended for similar for crossing a line that can end another players career.

Actually the Kadri vicious hit sort of sums the modern game up pretty well. He was already previously frustrated with how the calls were going. He then sees his team mate get roughed up by two opposing players (one who he was already previously battling with). In the old days with enforcers he goes over and grabs Wingels and they drop the gloves (this still happens occasionally but not nearly enough), message sent. Now a days, he lines up a very vulnerable Wingels and delivers a potential Matt Cooke career ending hit. Gets 3 games and jumps right back into the series. Make these guys learn the hard way, because it's most likely only going to get worse.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
Agree, when ther Kings could not hang with Vegas they gooned it up and tried to injure the vegas players.... disgusting. Nashville are dirty AF as well

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Every one should go watch the "Ice Guardians" Doc on netflix. Very obvious what is happening right now without enforcers out there keeping things in check. The rats are running free in this league without fear. I know I am a Bruins fan, and we have one of the biggest "rats" but I guarantee you if Kadri/Marchand's of the world were doing their thing back in the early 90's Wendel Clark and Cam Neely both feed these guys their lunch every time they do something stupid. The instigator rule really changed hockey.

And that's not to say pest dont have a place in hockey. They lived back then too. Many examples. I actually like pests as long as they dont injure players. I think its super entertaining, their doing what they can to get under the skin of the opponent and help their team win. However, if they injure or INTEND to injure a player with their antics I am completely against it. I think that is what were seeing more of in today's game.

I love Marchand for the most part, but I will not defend him when he clearly crosses that line. It wasnt really until this last season maybe two that he has crossed that line IMO (there might be evidence previously I just cant remember everything). Ill give two examples in regards to Marchand in particular. Lightly punching Sedin in the face repeatedly is the antic of a pest doing his job (which like I said, in the old days would have been dealt with by Gino Odjick quite swiftly). Where as the incident in NJ with Marchand giving Johansson a flying elbow to me is crossing the line and should not be in the game. Frankly since there are no "Guardians" out there anymore so to speak, the league has to take on the onus of protecting the players. If they slapped Marchand with a 30 game suspension I guarantee you he changes his game and so do the rest of the rats. If baseball players are suspended for like 80 games for trying to gain an advantage then hockey players should be suspended for similar for crossing a line that can end another players career.

Actually the Kadri vicious hit sort of sums the modern game up pretty well. He was already previously frustrated with how the calls were going. He then sees his team mate get roughed up by two opposing players (one who he was already previously battling with). In the old days with enforcers he goes over and grabs Wingels and they drop the gloves (this still happens occasionally but not nearly enough), message sent. Now a days, he lines up a very vulnerable Wingels and delivers a potential Matt Cooke career ending hit. Gets 3 games and jumps right back into the series. Make these guys learn the hard way, because it's most likely only going to get worse.

Agreed. Players will continue to seek on-ice justice if they feel it is required. Only now the outlet won't be through dropping the gloves, but retalitory dirty play. If the NHL wants fighting gone they need to be very proactive at penalizing and suspending players for on-ice infractions, otherwise dirty play will beget dirty play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad