Speculation: There was a meeting between the Flames management and Huberdeau's agent Allan Walsh

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Did Walsh get Hubie that contract??? If so, dayum, I am going to bat with that agent. :yo:

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I don't know shit about how buyouts work, but doesn't that make it pretty damn hard to buy him out because of the penalties that would incur ?

Like the cap hit being almost not worth it ?

essentially the Sign Bonuses mean there is little to no savings in a buyout

You have somebody like OEL who was bought out because his bonuses were already paid and it saved vancouver some cap space
then you have guys like Nurse who backloaded his contract preventing any buyout as he gets older.

Huberdeau's bonuses are massive and they appear at the end of his contract

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Huberdeau either gets better, mutually terminates his contract, or starts building children’s hospitals

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Is Brad Treliving the worst GM in the league? His signature move seems to be acquiring players who have already hit their expiration date.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Huberdeau is coming across like the biggest bum in the league right now I’m sorry.

You can’t be mad about being traded there but turn around and sign a huge deal for 8 years. You can’t have your agent set up a meeting with the team because you’re not getting ice time when you don’t play hard for almost 100 games now. Sorry bro. You wanted to be the top dollar guy- it means you get held more accountable, not less.
The guy gets paid top dollar to represent so he's doing his job. Can't really blame him for going to bat for his player who just got benched even if it was deserved. There may be things Huburdeau wants to see change in the way he's handled and it's up to his agent to advocate for him. I highly doubt it's a trade request, he probably has some issues he wants discussed and his agent is the man to do that

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I mean 30M is so much money though. I get it, there isn't a lot of difference between an amount I could never spend and a bigger amount I could never spend. But we are talking a 37.5% difference. Like if you were making 50k at a job you enjoyed or 70k at a job you didn't. I think I would take the money, but I'd understand people who would choose a happier work environment.
Yea different people will for sure approach this kinda thing differently. Just wanted to not it is not impossible that he would give up that kinds money for a better environment for himself.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Huberdeau is living the dream , cements himself on the short list of players who put up 115+ in a season and rides out in the sunset on a crazy nice contract , hats off to the lad

can't he just stink and collect his paycheck?

Most likely outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad