Speculation: There was a meeting between the Flames management and Huberdeau's agent Allan Walsh

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Agents don't only handle contracts and trade requests. They help do other things like help them buy a home, find schools for kids etc.

This is likely to discuss performance and how to get JH to improve the situation.
Exactly that. People don't realize that an agent do much more than negociate a contract.

An agent meeting with the team when something isn't going right for his player is a very common thing. Huberdeau's fault or not, something is obviously not working, and it's much more efficient if he talk about it to his agent, and the agent work as an intermediary between his player and the team. The agent work so that the relationship between them is good, so he can filter anything too arsh any side could say.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think the meeting went like this :

Walsh = Homer
Huberdeau = Poochie

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not a CBA expert but I believe if Huberdeau is so unhappy he'd be willing to terminate his contract and sign a smaller one, then perhaps Calgary can give Walsh permission to find a new team + deal for Huberdeau that's attractive enough to have him terminate it.
Oh there ain’t no way the NHL would allow that :laugh:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Contracts can be terminated by mutual agreement as long as the player passes through unconditional waivers. There's no way Huberdeau does that though. Best case for him is a 7 year deal at 7M (likely less). He'd be leaving more than 30M on the table.
I know, but there’s absolutely no way the league would let that happen and then re-sign with the same team at a lower cap hit. That’s cap circumvention at the highest level

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
According to CP, there was a meeting between Johnathan Huberdeau's agent Allan Walsh.

The meeting happened after "team Practice" and the meeting was requested by the player agent.
Biggest moron out there.............when Walsh gets involved, he is looking to make himself more famous.............or is it infamous?

Reactions: viper0220

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Contracts can be terminated by mutual agreement as long as the player passes through unconditional waivers. There's no way Huberdeau does that though. Best case for him is a 7 year deal at 7M (likely less). He'd be leaving more than 30M on the table.
I would think that the NHLPA would be pretty upset tho

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Maybe he’s gonna just have to live with his life choices, and honor his contract like an adult by ya know, actually trying?

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
How about a 3-way trade: Bobrovsky->Gaudreau->Huberdeau

:sarcasm:
1699491699150.jpeg

Bond

May 10, 2012
Maybe he’s gonna just have to live with his life choices, and honor his contract like an adult by ya know, actually trying?
The thing is that he is trying almost too hard. It’s really weird

Huberdeau + two 1sts to MTL for Brendan Gallagher and a coupon for a free Bell Centre hotdog
No point in paying to get out of his contract right now. Not like the Flames are a contender

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
The thing is that he is trying almost too hard. It’s really weird

No point in paying to get out of his contract right now. Not like the Flames are a contender
It’s a messed up situation for sure, finding myself feeling bad for him at times , but this ultimately has to come down to him working his way through this funk , or maybe I’m reading it wrong from afar.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I know, but there’s absolutely no way the league would let that happen and then re-sign with the same team at a lower cap hit. That’s cap circumvention at the highest level
Oh ya. I don't think it's happened with the same team that I can remember. The Flames did buy out Stone and then signed him to a league min, but that's the only remotely comparable example I can think of and it's no where near as agregious.

I would think that the NHLPA would be pretty upset tho
Likely, but it's within the terms of the cba.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's here and he's going to be here for a while. A trade/buyout is really just not an option at this point of time. Flames need everybody on the same page here, get him going in the right direction at least. Forget about being a 10.5 million superstar and just be an effective positive player for the team.

As much as he's been incredibly disappointing so far for the Flames, it's not his fault this idiot team keeps deciding to build around wingers. Other than one flukey year it didn't even really work with Iginla, and he was 3x the player Huberdeau is. This frankensteined together roster needs to be retooled into something that makes sense. More youth more speed and god willing a talented 1C in this year's draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: LemonSauceD

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I'm not a CBA expert but I believe if Huberdeau is so unhappy he'd be willing to terminate his contract and sign a smaller one, then perhaps Calgary can give Walsh permission to find a new team + deal for Huberdeau that's attractive enough to have him terminate it.

I’m sure if he’d be willing to terminate his contract, they could get something done. Maybe he has asthma or something, and the elevation bothers him. Just can’t understand how he’s fallen off as badly as he has. Two games this year, I can’t even remember his name called. At $10.5 million? That’s as bad as it gets.

Just don’t see how anything gets resolved. He’s un-tradable at this point unless someone gets real creative. Like paying San Jose 3 first round picks to eat $3 million a year, then eating another $2 million themselves. Then maybe they’d find some interest. Really is going to be a long, long contract. You can’t even buy him out, as it wouldn’t help much.

They’d have to recreate the word “creative” to find a team to take him right now. Maybe if he starts playing better, they eat about $3.5 million AND take back another bad contract with some term on it. But as of today, he’s as unmovable as a player’s ever been.
Ask yourself—if Huberdeau’s contract was terminated—what would he reasonably get as a free agent on the open market after the last 14 months?

Maybe 6M AAV if he is lucky? And certainly not for more than 4 seasons tops. Let’s optimisically call that $24M TCV.

So, you’re telling me that Huberdeau would just throw away ~$60M just so he can go play hockey in another city? No way any individual agrees to that, let alone the NHLPA.

Contract termination is an absolute delusion by Flames fans. It will never happen.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Ask yourself—if Huberdeau’s contract was terminated—what would he reasonably get as a free agent on the open market after the last 14 months?

Maybe 6M AAV if he is lucky? And certainly not for more than 4 seasons tops. Let’s optimisically call that $24M TCV.

So, you’re telling me that Huberdeau would just throw away ~$60M just so he can go play hockey in another city? No way any individual agrees to that, let alone the NHLPA.

Contract termination is an absolute delusion by Flames fans. It will never happen.
Exactly: maybe if the contract was super front loaded it could have happened but not with this deal

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the only time the league has ever allowed players/teams to "mutually terminate" contracts is cases where the player is leaving the nhl (typically to go play in europe). they would never, ever approve it just because a player is unhappy and their contract is such that they're unmoveable for any kind of reasonable compensation. even if the nhl was fine with it the nhlpa would immediately file a grievance

it's simply not an option for huberdeau and the flames to break up unless huberdeau is willing to retire or go play in europe or if the nhl reintroduces compliance buyouts

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Would this guy at 50% have even positive value? He is not playing like a 5.25m player right now, and he’s signed for eight years lol.

(Not that Flames would even do that)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad