Speculation: There was a meeting between the Flames management and Huberdeau's agent Allan Walsh

Bond

May 10, 2012
Is Huby gonna give back $40 million of his contract so he’s moveable?

Good luck to Walsh in finding a market for his guy otherwise. I’m sure the Flames are super eager to eat salary and cap for the next decade so that Huberdeau can go somewhere sunny and with beaches.
Yeah. Edwards barely retains on expiring deals. I don’t think there is a trade to make in the entire NHL unless a team will actually pay serious value for a 8.5 million dollar Huberdeau which won’t happen unless someone goes off their meds

Reactions: Ciao and Conbon

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yeah, not really sure what the point of this leaking is (or the meeting at all).

He's on an expensive contract, he didn't have a great last year, and we all saw him get benched last game. I don't think he has any trade value, but I'm not convinced the Flames want to spend assets just to be rid of the contract either.

Maybe it's just to allow Walsh to shop around for a deal if he can find one?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The guy was on a 85-90 point pace the previous two seasons before the big 115, so it's not like he was a flash in the pan. I'd suggest it's in part the team he's on/the system/something else beyond just that he forgot how to play.

If another team has the cap space + Calgary is willing to each a big chunk, I would imagine there is a deal out there. Of course it would be a huge gamble for both GMs and unfortunately there aren't many out there with the stones to try this.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Huberdeau is coming across like the biggest bum in the league right now I’m sorry.

You can’t be mad about being traded there but turn around and sign a huge deal for 8 years. You can’t have your agent set up a meeting with the team because you’re not getting ice time when you don’t play hard for almost 100 games now. Sorry bro. You wanted to be the top dollar guy- it means you get held more accountable, not less.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I’m sure if he’d be willing to terminate his contract, they could get something done. Maybe he has asthma or something, and the elevation bothers him. Just can’t understand how he’s fallen off as badly as he has. Two games this year, I can’t even remember his name called. At $10.5 million? That’s as bad as it gets.

Just don’t see how anything gets resolved. He’s un-tradable at this point unless someone gets real creative. Like paying San Jose 3 first round picks to eat $3 million a year, then eating another $2 million themselves. Then maybe they’d find some interest. Really is going to be a long, long contract. You can’t even buy him out, as it wouldn’t help much.

They’d have to recreate the word “creative” to find a team to take him right now. Maybe if he starts playing better, they eat about $3.5 million AND take back another bad contract with some term on it. But as of today, he’s as unmovable as a player’s ever been.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
This season I think it's misunderstood about him that he's "not trying". The system is now much different from Sutter's, where he spent virtually 65+ games in his off-wing for the first time in his career. He's putting in effort but he's genuinely just playing very off; throwing his patented spinorama passes to nobody, mishandling the puck, missing assignments, and mental lapses.

Could attest to a couple things: first he's expected and paid to be "the guy" on a team trying to make the playoffs and he's never had that. Florida had two players drafted at #2 and #1 in Barkov and Ekblad who also play more important positions. By nature, he could fall back away from the spotlight and do his thing.

Secondly and as a result of the former, I just think something is really in his head. I feel like he just doesn't know where to go after signing that big deal right after being blindsided by the trade. Burdened by the organizational obligation that he must now be thrust into filling Gaudreau's shoes at 1LW.

If there's anyone to blame, I would look towards the Flames ownership and how they refuse to allow management to properly rebuild or effectively retool... Instead their mantra is to hand out absurdly termed contracts to forwards that had just come off from by far their best seasons, and then saying "these are the guys can help lead us to the promised land". All of this while they lack a top-end #1C and actual #1D, both of which ideally are found through the draft and developed.

Hopefully Huberdeau can resurge himself or find a different team where he's like the 3rd best guy. Contract situation makes that really tough of course. I don't blame him for trying to find a route that he can once again thrive from.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Agents don't only handle contracts and trade requests. They help do other things like help them buy a home, find schools for kids etc.

This is likely to discuss performance and how to get JH to improve the situation.

Reactions: Yemeth and Lunatik

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
End of the day, he opted to sign an extension before playing a game for Calgary. Didn't have to, but like most here would, took the guaranteed $80 mill. But, hockey mad markets for an underperforming high cap hit player, is going to be harsh. But, again, he took the money, so deal with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad