Tribute There Goes Our Hero : Jonathan Drouin

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I hope he boom in Colorado and people realize that this amount of scrutiny? pressure and negativity that put on these player in Montreal ( or other Canadian market) in detrimental to performances or that one player can’t always perform a team is needed.
Only in hockey are players so timid about pressure. Every other sports you have the top players dreaming to play with the biggest teams and the pressure that comes with it. Maybe just maybe the players are the problem if they expect to make millions and play sports as public figures but expect total anonymity.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I wish him the best, seems like a nice guy. No goals ever though, gotta say his replacement hopefully goes to the net.

Reactions: BLONG7

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just for laughs I googled golas: an African people from Liberia and Sierra Leone.
Bet you our beloved Cargo Dog Staredown Master, has flown to one of those destinations.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Only in hockey are players so timid about pressure. Every other sports you have the top players dreaming to play with the biggest teams and the pressure that comes with it. Maybe just maybe the players are the problem if they expect to make millions and play sports as public figures but expect total anonymity.
We often laugh at soccer players antics on the field, but man these guys can go through tons of public pressure

Reactions: themilosh

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Because it's actually a reality in the NHL?

There's plenty of market where a player can be the best player of a very successful team and remain somewhat anonymous within the said market.
Also they make millions because they just happen to play in a league generating billions in revenues, that's just their slice of the pie.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I hope he boom in Colorado and people realize that this amount of scrutiny? pressure and negativity that put on these player in Montreal ( or other Canadian market) in detrimental to performances or that one player can’t always perform a team is needed.

The wonderboys in tarana and edmontin don't seem bothered one bit

Some people are just not meant for the spotlight

Reactions: BLONG7

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I’m not talking about anonymity… talking about this crazy and unhealthy pressure, famous people have advantages and disadvantage… Everyone will agree a but at some point the disadvantage can outweigh advantages or you can get the same advantages with less disadvantage in another is a better situation.
if you could get a new job where you can make more money, have more time off be less stressful vs. a job where you be paid less, less time off, more stress choice is easy even at equal pay… It is the same thing has playing in Montreal vs. playing in Florida or Nashville…there all going the same job getting the same advantages but the down side isn’t the same…

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Michel Bergeron, the day after the trade:

"Le plus spectaculaire depuis Guy Lafleur"

"On a beau analyser de toutes les manières possibles cette transaction, on ne peut en venir qu’à une seule conclusion: Marc Bergevin a réalisé un véritable coup d’éclat."

"Le Canadien a mis la main sur une super vedette, un joueur explosif et électrisant."

"Sa principale qualité: sa vitesse en possession de rondelle. À ce niveau, Connor McDavid vient au premier rang dans la LNH à mes yeux et j’en surprendrai peut-être plusieurs avec ma prochaine affirmation, mais Jonathan Drouin n’est pas loin derrière."

"Et, tant qu’à être dans les comparaisons, je pense que sur le strict plan du spectacle qu’il offrira sur la patinoire, Drouin apportera ce que Guy Lafleur a offert aux amateurs de Montréal pendant des années."

"Tout le monde a son opinion sur la transaction. Certains y voient un vol de Marc Bergevin tandis que d’autres craignent que le Canadien ait réalisé une transaction semblable à celle qui avait envoyé le jeune Ryan McDonagh aux Rangers en retour de Scott Gomez.

Je vous le dis tout de suite, oubliez ça. Il n’y a absolument aucune comparaison possible."

Ouf, Bergy was already senile back then, can't imagine what he's up to now.

This was almost as worst, in the failed predictions department, as when Norman Flynn made a scanting review of the Habs 07 draft.
what a stupid affirmation, Fans of the forum know for long time that it was Eller

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So what are you saying? He knew about Golas and is playing coy with us.
You’re talking about a pilot with matinee idol good looks who is a member of the mile high club. Anything’s possible with that guy.

It was such a poor fit for him here. He's going to the team that can get his career back on track. Hope he does well.
I can’t get myself to care if he does well from a hockey stand point. As long as he’s healthy and has overcome the challenges he faced. The rest is gravy.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
You’re talking about a pilot with matinee idol good looks who is a member of the mile high club. Anything’s possible with that guy.

I can’t get myself to care if he does well from a hockey stand point. As long as he’s healthy and has overcome the challenges he faced. The rest is gravy.

He's an exciting player when he's on, even though thats been rare throughout his tenure here. He's been so up/down, I know in my posting history you have posts where I love how he plays followed by harsh criticism a few days later. In the end, he still wanted to play here despite it all, raised millions(?) for charity, never really bashed anyone through the media. While I've been harsh to him here (I personally can't stand players who avoid paying the price physically), Ive known people close to him and he's pretty much a regular guy who's exceptional at hockey. His tenure here seems to have done a number on his passion for it too, even though he's a guy "qui mange du hockey". So, I do think it would be a nice story if he puts his career back on track.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's an exciting player when he's on, even though thats been rare throughout his tenure here. He's been so up/down, I know in my posting history you have posts where I love how he plays followed by harsh criticism a few days later. In the end, he still wanted to play here despite it all, raised millions(?) for charity, never really bashed anyone through the media. While I've been harsh to him here (I personally can't stand players who avoid paying the price physically), Ive known people close to him and he's pretty much a regular guy who's exceptional at hockey. His tenure here seems to have done a number on his passion for it too, even though he's a guy "qui mange du hockey". So, I do think it would be a nice story if he puts his career back on track.
We’re all fans at different levels. Not a fan of his play, the downturns were more pronounced than the few good moments.

However, I look favourably upon his charity work and humane qualities and wish him well.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Because it's actually a reality in the NHL?

There's plenty of market where a player can be the best player of a very successful team and remain somewhat anonymous within the said market.
Also they make millions because they just happen to play in a league generating billions in revenues, that's just their slice of the pie.
NBA players can also make a fortune playing for any team in the league but you don't see them shy away from the big markets. They don't demand to leave the Lakers or the Celtics so that they can play anonymously in Utah.

People love to talk about how tough NHL players are but they are psychologically the weakest athletes in pro sports. Must be why they also have no personality and give the blandest interviews. No wonder the NHL can't market itself at all.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Most people supported the trade.

I still think it was a great gamble to take. I would re-try it in a similar circumstance.

Everyone involved simply got unlucky. Such is the way the dominoes fall sometimes.

Hope Drouin succeeds.

Never understood the massive hatred he got.
It wasn't unlucky it was a stupid trade made to placate fans.

I'm honestly very happy for Drouin. I hope he does well and more importantly is able to get back on track.
As do I, he was put into a really tough situation.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Jonathan Drouin is a wonderful example of how a non-guaranteed contract system could be a wonderful thing. I have been looking at some of the deals handed out by GMs this summer and you can't help but think that many of those situations won't end well either.

He collected 33 million dollars from the Habs and he got every penny and arguably earned less than half of it from his on-ice play. He just signed a one-year deal for 885k and he can shit the bed in Colorado and it doesn't even matter lol. The guy and his agent are geniuses and the GMs that hand out the money aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. ROR just got 18 million from Barry Trotz and the guy is nowhere near what he was as a player, the game has taken its toll. Brendan Gallagher is another one, the guy is a third/fourth liner because of limited talent and a broken body but yet, he is guaranteed another 26 million dollars and most of it will probably come while he's on injured reserve.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jonathan Drouin is a wonderful example of how a non-guaranteed contract system could be a wonderful thing. I have been looking at some of the deals handed out by GMs this summer and you can't help but think that many of those situations won't end well either.

He collected 33 million dollars from the Habs and he got every penny and arguably earned less than half of it from his on-ice play. He just signed a one-year deal for 885k and he can shit the bed in Colorado and it doesn't even matter lol. The guy and his agent are geniuses and the GMs that hand out the money aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. ROR just got 18 million from Barry Trotz and the guy is nowhere near what he was as a player, the game has taken its toll. Brendan Gallagher is another one, the guy is a third/fourth liner because of limited talent and a broken body but yet, he is guaranteed another 26 million dollars and most of it will probably come while he's on injured reserve.
Two things come to mind.

For one, Drouin’s agent took candy from a baby when he secured that deal for his client. Even told Bergevin what he wanted to hear, sweet music like “I can play center!”

And the other thing — our management needs to learn from the largesse and spending spree of these boneheaded GMs whenever our contending window opens and it’ll be our turn to add missing pieces.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Two things come to mind.

For one, Drouin’s agent took candy from a baby when he secured that deal for his client. Even told Bergevin what he wanted to hear, sweet music like “I can play center!”

And the other thing — our management needs to learn from the largesse and spending spree of these boneheaded GMs whenever our contending window opens and it’ll be our turn to add missing pieces.
Having Caufield agree to the same amount of money per season as Suzuki shows us that they are on the right path and have said that they wont over commit to marginal older players. It is easier to do that on a rebuilding team but will get more complicated if some of our young players break out and are ready for new deals in a couple of years.

Guaranteed money puts pressure on a club not to screw things up when handing out contracts and we see plenty of bad examples every season. For example, what if teams didn't have to pay out 50 million to a player that had stopped producing in year 3 of a 6 yr deal? I believe we would see less examples of players not performing once they have signed for money and term.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Having Caufield agree to the same amount of money per season as Suzuki shows us that they are on the right path and have said that they wont over commit to marginal older players. It is easier to do that on a rebuilding team but will get more complicated if some of our young players break out and are ready for new deals in a couple of years.

Guaranteed money puts pressure on a club not to screw things up when handing out contracts and we see plenty of bad examples every season. For example, what if teams didn't have to pay out 50 million to a player that had stopped producing in year 3 of a 6 yr deal? I believe we would see less examples of players not performing once they have signed for money and term.
It’s only a rebuilding team as long as Geoff says it is. How long more do you figure he’s going to wait?

Reactions: OldCraig71

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2