Tribute There Goes Our Hero : Jonathan Drouin

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Hughes was forced to trade Lehkonen because the Habs didn't have the cap space to re-sign him with the mess that Bergevin left behind, and he received decent value for what Leks was. Newhook for two picks that more likely than not do not become NHL regulars wasn't a fleecing.
Lek is killing it in Denver, he would never be able to do that here. Barron still can't get a permanent spot. It says that the Habs player development stinks. As for Newhook, the Habs gave too much. Hughes should have tied Drouin's rights in the deal. Whether or not those picks become NHL regulars is too close too call. The Avs used one of them to get a regular player. This is good asset management, which is the point I am trying to make.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
About time he left. knew he would fail from day 1. Bergevin and the french media put on a pedestal like he was a savior only for him to fail miserably.
Pretty much sums it up..........
A ton of god given talent, and just no heart or hustle at all.

Wish him good luck out in Colorado! Mackinnon will not put up with his excuses....

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Lek is killing it in Denver, he would never be able to do that here. Barron still can't get a permanent spot. It says that the Habs player development stinks. As for Newhook, the Habs gave too much. Hughes should have tied Drouin's rights in the deal. Whether or not those picks become NHL regulars is too close too call. The Avs used one of them to get a regular player. This is good asset management, which is the point I am trying to make.
1. Last season was Barron's first with the Habs, and he showed decent development for a 1st year D. Young defensemen take time to develop. Have some patience.

2. How could Hughes have possibly tied Drouin's UFA rights to a deal with the Avs? Drouin was signed for basically a vet league minimum for one year. He had absolutely zero trade value.

3. Yes, the Avs used one of those picks to get a regular player. But so did Hughes when he acquired Newhook. See, it works both ways.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
1. Last season was Barron's first with the Habs, and he showed decent development for a 1st year D. Young defensemen take time to develop. Have some patience.

2. How could Hughes have possibly tied Drouin's UFA rights to a deal with the Avs? Drouin was signed for basically a vet league minimum for one year. He had absolutely zero trade value.

3. Yes, the Avs used one of those picks to get a regular player. But so did Hughes when he acquired Newhook. See, it works both ways.
1. That's why some fans now want to use him as tradebait. The only consolation is that 2024 2nd.

2. The point I was trying to make again is that Drouin's value was high under Bozovin. The Avs were rumoured in trade talks and the Habs simply waited until he left through free agency. This is bad asset management, especially losing Sergachev.

3. Don't understand what you are trying to say here. Newhook didn't do much with the Avs. Giving a first and second is an overpayment regardless. Again, bad asset management.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Hughes was forced to trade Lehkonen because the Habs didn't have the cap space to re-sign him with the mess that Bergevin left behind, and he received decent value for what Leks was. Newhook for two picks that more likely than not do not become NHL regulars wasn't a fleecing.
Well they already traded one of the picks for a proven NHLer but ya, I’m taking 22yr old Newhook every day of the week.

Good trade for both teams!!

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
1. That's why some fans now want to use him as tradebait. The only consolation is that 2024 2nd.

2. The point I was trying to make again is that Drouin's value was high under Bozovin. The Avs were rumoured in trade talks and the Habs simply waited until he left through free agency. This is bad asset management, especially losing Sergachev.

3. Don't understand what you are trying to say here. Newhook didn't do much with the Avs. Giving a first and second is an overpayment regardless. Again, bad asset management.
Neither did Dach with the Hawks….go figure

Dach…..152 NHL games, 19 goals, gets traded to the Habs and has exploded on the scene with 14goals in 50 games and will only get better

Newhook….159 NHL games, 27 golas, gets traded to Habs…..I’m expecting a similar trajectory

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I watch too much hockey...and I write too much on this board.

I kid you not...I'm just waking up to a dream where Jo Drouin scored his 1st goal with the AVS on his first shift (he was wearing No71 for whatever reason)....and I had to open my computer quickly to write this...on this very forum....lol

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

1. And some fans on here wanted to re-sign Drouin, too. What "some fans" want is irrelevant. Barron's a young D that needs time to develop. I wouldn't give up on him yet. I've seen this franchise ship out too many young defensemen that they should have hung on to.

2. Yes, Bergevin screwed up the entire Drouin situation, right from the initial trade (paying too much for a player that Tampa was pretty desperate to get rid of). Bergevin's gone, now, though. Don't project the mistakes from the past regime on the current one. By the time Hughes got here, Drouin had no trade value.

3. Newhook is a similar situation to what happened with Dach last year. The Habs identified a young player that they thought was under valued due to how he was being used in his current situation and used young/future assets to acquire that player. The Dach trade is looking positive after one season. Only time will tell if Newhook works out, but it was a legitimate use of draft picks that historically have a less than 50% chance of turning into an NHL player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
1. And some fans on here wanted to re-sign Drouin, too. What "some fans" want is irrelevant. Barron's a young D that needs time to develop. I wouldn't give up on him yet. I've seen this franchise ship out too many young defensemen that they should have hung on to.

2. Yes, Bergevin screwed up the entire Drouin situation, right from the initial trade (paying too much for a player that Tampa was pretty desperate to get ride of). Bergevin's gone, now, though. Don't project the mistakes from the past regime on the current one. By the time Hughes got here, Drouin had no trade value.

3. Newhook is a similar situation to what happened with Dach last year. The Habs identified a young player that they thought was under valued due to how he was being used in his current situation and used young/future assets to acquire that player. The Dach trade is looking positive after one season. Only time will tell if Newhook works out, but it was a legitimate use of draft picks that historically have a less than 50% chance of turning into an NHL player.
1. I have a feeling Barron will be used as tradebait because the Habs are incapable of luring top talent. Only through trades, can the Habs build around this new core.

2. Hughes should have at least attempted to get a pick. That's it. I am sure some team would have given a 7th.

3. Dach was an exception. There is a long list of players that didn't workout. Pouliot, DSP, Drouin, Domi, Weber, Parenteau, etc. The Habs should stop this trend of targeting such players who are talented but can't make a significant impact or having slumps with their respective teams. If you want talent, draft it and develop them. That's it. I don't have high hopes on Newhook and the Avs have been developing players from their farm at an alarming rate. Even, Lekhy got going. Dach was in Chicago, a team in rebuild mode.

Jul 6, 2016
Drouin was doomed from Day 1 with the Habs. He was forced to play at C. Of course, he failed and the pressure started to build up on his shoulders. Also, his Junior style never translated well to NHL level. He was doing the same kind of plays over and over. His only real skill was his passing vision on PP.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
His max value was no value, even at 50% retained on that salary.
True. It is remotely possible someone offered a 7th and Hughes waited to see if he could get a 6th because he didn't care if he got a 7th or not. But at most there might have been one team with half hearted interest.
And if Dadonov, a far better player when he shows up, returned nothing Drouin was worthless.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Pretty much sums it up..........
A ton of god given talent, and just no heart or hustle at all.

Wish him good luck out in Colorado! Mackinnon will not put up with his excuses....

I think we often exaggerate his skill. Even if Drouin had a more complete game his skill still isn’t as good as the elite of the league. At best he could’ve been a perennial top 6 or offensive first line type.

His fall from grace is a bit exaggerated because the concept of him being a franchise talent was tossed around.

His potential was that of a prime Ales Hemsky IMO.

Oh well. Hopefully he manages to prolong his career with a good showing in Colorado.

Jul 6, 2016
I think we often exaggerate his skill. Even if Drouin had a more complete game his skill still isn’t as good as the elite of the league. At best he could’ve been a perennial top 6 or offensive first line type.

His fall from grace is a bit exaggerated because the concept of him being a franchise talent was tossed around.

His potential was that of a prime Ales Hemsky IMO.

Oh well. Hopefully he manages to prolong his career with a good showing in Colorado.
I see him on PP with McKinnon-Rentanen-Makar-Byram or Toews. Otherwise on a 3rd line.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I hope he boom in Colorado and people realize that this amount of scrutiny? pressure and negativity that put on these player in Montreal ( or other Canadian market) in detrimental to performances or that one player can’t always perform a team is needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad