Tribute There Goes Our Hero : Jonathan Drouin

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Indeed I've already said more than enough about JD over the years.
Thank You and Goodbye seems adequate at this point.
I never liked the hockey player so I won’t thank him for his play.

I’d definitely laud his annoying agent for fleecing Bergevin even though it was like taking candy from a child.

The only thanks I’d give him are for his humane qualities and charity work. And making some kids happy around the city.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You can check my post history.

I literally made 89 posts all of 2023(this is my 90th). 50 of those posts are from the last 3 days. If I responded to you at some point its a coincidence. I actually don't care who the poster is when I reply.

So I didn't get the passive aggressiveness especially since I agree with you. I just responded by saying many had extremely lofty expectations for Sergachev which were unfair to him(the norris trophy isn't an easy trophy to win) and that he is a quality d-man. Other than that, Drouin seems like a good kid but not a good hockey player. I think we agree there too. Cheers.
That was the problem all along a 4th or 5th wheel being handed the keys to glory in our market. Never stood a chance.
BTW I was really kidding when I talked about your posting History. I have enjoyed and remember you since the first day I found this board.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
The Avs fans are already putting him on the first line with Nathan. They're watching videos of Drouin's time with the Lightning like that's what they're going to get out of Drouin. I know it's a low risk signing but my god, the amount of hopium is insane.

The only line they'll share is the one at the cafeteria after practice.
No he's a good hockey player and has actual
Hockey players to play with now in Colorado. People forget that him and Nate have chemistry

Last edited by a moderator:

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Michel Bergeron, the day after the trade:

"Le plus spectaculaire depuis Guy Lafleur"

"On a beau analyser de toutes les manières possibles cette transaction, on ne peut en venir qu’à une seule conclusion: Marc Bergevin a réalisé un véritable coup d’éclat."

"Le Canadien a mis la main sur une super vedette, un joueur explosif et électrisant."

"Sa principale qualité: sa vitesse en possession de rondelle. À ce niveau, Connor McDavid vient au premier rang dans la LNH à mes yeux et j’en surprendrai peut-être plusieurs avec ma prochaine affirmation, mais Jonathan Drouin n’est pas loin derrière."

"Et, tant qu’à être dans les comparaisons, je pense que sur le strict plan du spectacle qu’il offrira sur la patinoire, Drouin apportera ce que Guy Lafleur a offert aux amateurs de Montréal pendant des années."

"Everyone has their opinion on the deal. Some see it as a theft from Marc Bergevin while others fear the Canadiens have made a deal similar to the one that sent youngster Ryan McDonagh to Rangers for Scott Gomez.

I tell you right now, forget it. There is absolutely no comparison possible."

Phew, Bergy was already senile back then, can't imagine what he's up to now.

This was almost as worst, in the failed predictions department, as when Norman Flynn made a scanning review of the Habs 07 draft.
No wonder he failed

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Only return that is recurring is an inexhaustible array of posts cutting down Sergachev's value from “his performance is boosted by being on a stacked team” to “he's only a low level 2nd pairing D” and the all time greatest hit on this forum “he would have been way worse had he stayed with Montreal.”

Same thing is happening whenever any other player is traded or not drafted by the Habs.

It's happening right now with Michkov. I wonder if there are Habs burner accounts working overtime on this forum to extol the virtues of the Popcorn Prince.:sarcasm:
Put serg on Montreal and he's a -40 with 30 points. Must be nice having multiple all stars and future HOF players and coaches. Chris wideman would look like a decent third pairing on Tampa lol seriously it’s just common sense. Being a product of your environment isn’t always a bad thing.

Reactions: DailyKaizen

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
It's actually a sad day for me. When it comes to Drouin, I originally had high expectations that he would become a vital player for our Habs. I was one of a small fraction on our board who was actually happy with the trade. Yes giving up Sergachev was painful. Though the idea of adding a young, skilled forward, was exciting. The background of a player really means nothing to me. But I will admit that Drouin being a French Canadian was a wonderful bonus.

I've met Drouin several times over the years. I've read many posts where posters claim that "Drouin didn't care about hockey". Or that he was a selfish primeadonna. Neither statement could be further from the truth. He's a kid that was obsessed with hockey. He was also well liked by his teammates.

As the injuries started to pile up. Whenever I'd see him, he wasn't the same. He didn't have that little twinkle in his eyes. He never came across as a very talkative person. Though each time we met, he seemed to be more and more withdrawn.

The last time I saw Drouin, about a month before he took his leave. He was very withdrawn. Not really responding when some of this teammates, or others around him would try to include him in conversations. It was painful to watch, kind of like watching an injured animal act, around strangers. So it honestly didn't surprise me when he decided to step away.

Injuries have obviously taken away the potential he showed in juniors and with Tampa. I'm hoping that he can take care of his mental health. As I still believe he can be a solid player. Leaving Montreal is the best thing that could happen to him. I wish him the best of luck.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was a long and painful saga. I don't think even the biggest sceptics expected he's gonna play for near league minimum at this point of his career.
I’d say we kind of did based on how difficult it was for the Habs to move him in the past few years. It’s just a confirmation of where the market had been at and where it continues to be.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I’d say we kind of did based on how difficult it was for the Habs to move him in the past few years. It’s just a confirmation of where the market had been at and where it continues to be.
No, I mean the moment we traded for him. There was a large contingent questioning his character, or denying he's ever going to be an impact forward, but I don't think anybody thought he's not a top 6 NHL forward and that he's going to land in Galchenyuk-category.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No, I mean the moment we traded for him. There was a large contingent questioning his character, or denying he's ever going to be an impact forward, but I don't think anybody thought he's not a top 6 NHL forward and that he's going to land in Galchenyuk-category.
Oh, misread your post then.

You’re right there were red flags. I thought there was no need to hand him a 6-year deal from the start. Don’t know what Bergevin was thinking.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Oh, misread your post then.

You’re right there were red flags. I thought there was no need to hand him a 6-year deal from the start. Don’t know what Bergevin was thinking.
I think he thought he got his hands on a first line talent. Perhaps a supporting one in worse case scenario, but first line nonetheless.

Reactions: Runner77

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The Avs fans are already putting him on the first line with Nathan. They're watching videos of Drouin's time with the Lightning like that's what they're going to get out of Drouin. I know it's a low risk signing but my god, the amount of hopium is insane.

The only line they'll share is the one at the cafeteria after practice.

Not necessarily. If you have a player that can carry a line like McKinnon, especially with Rantanen on the other wing, you can experiment with planting a reclamation project like Drouin on that line, especially in the regular season.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did that and he scores 60 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnapVirus

pickles555

Jun 5, 2023
This kid had disaster written all over him, long before he was traded to Montreal.
Too bad Bergevin was blind as a bat when he gave away Sergachev for him.

MB never made sense, or practiced what he preached,

MB used to preach how important character was, then he goes and acquires JD who had proven POOR character

In the end we lost Sergachev for nothing

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It's actually a sad day for me. When it comes to Drouin, I originally had high expectations that he would become a vital player for our Habs. I was one of a small fraction on our board who was actually happy with the trade. Yes giving up Sergachev was painful. Though the idea of adding a young, skilled forward, was exciting. The background of a player really means nothing to me. But I will admit that Drouin being a French Canadian was a wonderful bonus.

I've met Drouin several times over the years. I've read many posts where posters claim that "Drouin didn't care about hockey". Or that he was a selfish primeadonna. Neither statement could be further from the truth. He's a kid that was obsessed with hockey. He was also well liked by his teammates.

As the injuries started to pile up. Whenever I'd see him, he wasn't the same. He didn't have that little twinkle in his eyes. He never came across as a very talkative person. Though each time we met, he seemed to be more and more withdrawn.

The last time I saw Drouin, about a month before he took his leave. He was very withdrawn. Not really responding when some of this teammates, or others around him would try to include him in conversations. It was painful to watch, kind of like watching an injured animal act, around strangers. So it honestly didn't surprise me when he decided to step away.

Injuries have obviously taken away the potential he showed in juniors and with Tampa. I'm hoping that he can take care of his mental health. As I still believe he can be a solid player. Leaving Montreal is the best thing that could happen to him. I wish him the best of luck.

Most people supported the trade.

I still think it was a great gamble to take. I would re-try it in a similar circumstance.

Everyone involved simply got unlucky. Such is the way the dominoes fall sometimes.

Hope Drouin succeeds.

Never understood the massive hatred he got.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Drouin needs to lose weight to succeed. Anytime he has been above 180 pounds as a hockey player he's been mediocre. If he can't get past Ds with his speed he is absolutely useless as a hockey player. Look at highlight vids from his time with Halifax and Tampa Bay. The stick skills he pulled on midget AAA players weren't sustainable, but his elite tempo and his deception at high speeds were. The final three seasons with Montreal he wasn't able to burn past anyone.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I think this guy will thrive there. Not expecting 80pts or anything. This guy came into Montreal supposed to be a star Quebecois. Then had him rotating in and out of center because he played a little in juniors.

Drouin didn't help himself either with the whole situation in Tampa that led to his dealing. He acted like he was a star in a media soft team like the Bolts. So when he got his contract and star role he got in the hot bed of Montreal no where near Tampa scrutiny.

Had a good first year then started to sputter. The guy did go through mental aspect with his leave. Its been said that went back to his youth with his commitment to hockey.

Me personally you always want to see a guy succeed and also be healthy. So glad he got time to heal in some form before returning to the Habs. No expectations this year and he managed 29pts in 58 games. The guy can still play.

I think he gets to Colorado. There will be no cameras in his face. He'll be part of the solution and not the answer. He'll likely start low in the year on the roster but at some point you know he will see time with MacKinnon. You seem this guy on interviews and podcasts he's a hockey nut. I think he will get Drouin reinvigorated probably talking about Halifax days and such get him in the right mind set no expectations and media. Its a winning formula in my opinion. Expect him possibly go 50-60 points. Eventually getting PP time too.

The biggest thing is like I said, no pressure, no expectations, no media. He will be right mentally and be engaged.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I'm referring to the Lekh and Newhook trades.
Hughes was forced to trade Lehkonen because the Habs didn't have the cap space to re-sign him with the mess that Bergevin left behind, and he received decent value for what Leks was. Newhook for two picks that more likely than not do not become NHL regulars wasn't a fleecing.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad