Post-Game Talk: There’s something in the water … and it’s quenched our thirst!

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You know the worse part is you don't even have to look at advanced stats or spend much time to find some information out before you talk. You can literally just look at GA on our schedule and see that last 10 games 2 goals or less allowed and the two and then even the two wins before were just three goals. At a high level without even watching you can see they probably won some tight games.

Like 30 seconds of research to not make yourself look real dumb. Spend another 5 minutes and you can find even more data.

Just as dumb as the reporter asking Bowles how do you plan to acclimate the team for their football game in Detroit even though he had to reply "you do know we are playing in a dome"

The cherry on top is the authority in which he says it. As if he's intimately familiar with the team and is telling it like it is.

We could win the cup, go on a multi year run of steady defensive play, and the narrative from frankly dumb and lazy Eastern media members will still be "DUHHHHH Oilers are a 2 man team and suck at defence!!!!"

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, I was sitting 5 rows directly behind the net & the shot went off the stick shaft just above the blocker & the look on Connor Brown's face was priceless.
He beat the goalie, he just couldn't beat the knob of his stick.
That pretty much sums it up for Brown right now.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I think McD was having the same convo with Eberle. "Does your cracked team have Rabies" ? It did seem very much like compensation. A team trying to be something they are not. Was just watching a stupid video breakdown of the game from a Krack fan. Apparently the Kraken "Blew it" with not one bit of credit to the Oilers just taking the game over once they felt like it, and Drai having a masterclass 2nd period. The reality is we have several better players than anybody in the Kraken line up. When those players are feeling it they make a difference.

Its amazing how much commentary fails to realize Drai purposely banks it off Daccord into the net. Apparently he just got lucky. lol. Next Drai gets no credit for the two amazing passes in tht period. On the go ahead goal Drai takes a pass that is off, redirects it perfectly from skate to stick, without even a hint this is magic, then like nothing in perfect timing sends Foegele free like its the easiest thing. About 5 other players in the world could make that sequence of plays flawlessly. 5 other times in the game Drai one touched a pass into a perfect position in the slot. So quickly making plays his linemates didn't adapt.

Drai is having this kind of game playing with Foegele who is on, and Kane who is definitely not. But he's making magic happen every 2nd game and scoring every game. Drai back to 100pt pace and just heating up. He's dissecting teams. Taking them apart limb from limb. The Kraken have still never had an answer for Drai. He has something like 20pts against them in 8-9 games.

Yeah, 100%.

Don't really understand the Kraken's game plan in general against us to be honest. You'd think they'd play a low event game and just try and out-depth us but they just generally don't for some reason?

I'm glad the league suspended Gourde. I think they did to protect him and the Kraken though - they definitely poked the Hornets nest last night and have literally zero answer for it. Likely though with the suspension the Oilers may just forgive and forget because the league handled it.

But definitely the boys had taken a number, lol. Kane mentioned that we play the Kraken again in March when asked about Gourde. 😆

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I;ve read reviews just to see if theres something I wasn't getting. It seems the most is that it debuted during height of pandemic in 2020 when people were looking for things to grab onto. Kind of like a program that is a comfort blanket. Being that we just started watching it recently it was out of that zeitgeist and we really weren't feeling anything. My wife likes TV more than I do and she couldn't watch more. On the other hand we binged Friday Night Lights during pandemic and that gave us the kind of feels people speak of in Ted Lasso. I guess that was our Pandemic program.

For me Ted Lasso was trying to get by on typical juxtaposition. Same shtick as the Beverly Hillbillies which Hollywood always seems to pump out. Put people in a new setting and watch them be weird. Even the accent annoyed us. Just didn't work for us. Basically nothing on Apple TV does. I've watched Monarch Monsters, not enough monsters, tried several others and we just stop watching. The only series we watched all of on Apple (and it’s only one season) was severance. We thought that was unique.
Friday night lights is a solid show. I can’t argue with that. We all needed some comfort during the COVID years

I’ve really been enjoying for All Mankind on Apple.

Maybe you already tried it, but it’s been hitting the little boy in me that loved everything space as a child.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Friday night lights is a solid show. I can’t argue with that. We all needed some comfort during the COVID years

Maybe you already tried it, but it’s been hitting the little boy in me that loved everything space as a child.
Thanks, I’m gonna check that show out. Not a space TV show fan per se but I’ve always been infatuated with space travel itself. Growing up during the Mercury and Apollo programs including the moon landings had an impact on me. Skylab was huge too , before ISS.

As for TedLasso, wife loved it, I never saw the end of the first episode. Not my taste, found it lame.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
If the oilers win their next two games they will have gone 2 full calendar months without losing. That’s insane to think about
It's also insane to think about because it's not true.
They lost 3 straight in the middle of December with the last loss on Dec 19th against the Islanders.
As of tomorrow they will have gone 1 full calendar month without a loss. Impressive for sure, but not as impressive as 2.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It's also insane to think about because it's not true.
They lost 3 straight in the middle of December with the last loss on Dec 19th against the Islanders.
As of tomorrow they will have gone 1 full calendar month without a loss. Impressive for sure, but not as impressive as 2.
Now there you go just go busting in here with facts and truth. ;) thank god

Reactions: HockeyGuy1964

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Totally, it's also hard to be mad at that, because f*** Kesler.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

They're wearing the winter classic unis for the game Saturday. Or I think they are (and for the other BofAs as well)

I legit love how Skinner's gear looks.

Skinner should have gone full retro and brought back those Pepsi can pads Fuhr wasn’t allowed to wear in the 80’s.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Skinner should have gone full retro and brought back those Pepsi can pads Fuhr wasn’t allowed to wear in the 80’s.
Yet the Oiler colour and jersey were modelled after Gulf Oil (and the snafu that ensued). Different leagues I understand though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I'll try that one out. Wife isn't into Scifi so It'll have to be a solo watch. Watched some apple series about an attack on Earth and not sure I liked it or not. Forget the name so must not have made too great an impression. WE got a few free mths of Apple so just seeing what there is there. Most of its not clicking. Seem Apple+ shows get high ratings just like anything Apple. But slice it and it ain't so great. That Monarch series is a waste of time. More action in the preview than whole series and haven't seen Goodman yet. I guess he gets a cameo in the preview and thats it? lol

Reactions: Ibanez

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Since the Ekholm trade the Oilers are 43-17-2 in the regular season. That is an 82 game pace of 116 points. What is even more impressive is that if you exclude the 12 game start where both Ekholm and McDavid were noticeably hobbled the record would be 41-8-1 which is an 82 game pace of 136 points on a 50 game sample size. Now of course in a season there will be injuries and slumps so I am not saying that they are a 136 point team. But it does show that when the big dogs are healthy this team is tough to beat.
Ekholm being brought in has allowed the defence to slot better in the line up. Players like nurse are no longer playing 25 minutes a game which he couldn’t handle on a nightly basis. And in turn it has allowed him to play a much better game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Don't look now, but Oilers now have a 6th best goal differential in the entire league with a +25. The Avs and the Stars both have a +26, so we're currently just one goal down from being tied for 4th. That kind of blows my mind.
Didnt we start the year like -20 in our first 10 games also?

One day I’ll find that upside down signed jersey on Kijiji

Wow, the NHL did something competent. This really could be the year.
I was expecting that to just get a fine, and I woulda been fine with it.

Good on the NHL for giving him 2 games.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Surprised it didn’t just get ignored to be honest. Tends to happen when illegal shit happens to Oilers. Dude jumped up and into Ekholms head after a preceding full stride charge. There should be a suspension coming, but I’m guessing a slap on the wrist.
"Gourde has been fined $1.37 as is the maximum allowable under the CBA"
-George Parros, probably

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
If ( I know it’s a big if) Connor Brown does score a goal this year and the Oilers lose that game that Connor Brown thread is gonna be so much fun. Something to look forward to, I guess.
We all know this is what is going to happen. COnnor Brown scores and we lose that game lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If ( I know it’s a big if) Connor Brown does score a goal this year and the Oilers lose that game that Connor Brown thread is gonna be so much fun. Something to look forward to, I guess.

I’m so optimistic about the Oilers right now that I think if he scores the floodgates open and he becomes our Arturo Lehkonen for the Cup Run. Hard to see now, but so was 12 in a row and a Stanley Cup quality defence at one point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad