Speculation: The Wings are interested in Horvat

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I think Copp is a guy we're hoping to be able to move up and down the top9 to whatever line he fits best in and be the bert/killorn/palat type of guy. I don't think his contract is an overpayment for that type of guy but I do think it means we need more talent to put in ahead of him. Like Horvat.
Agreed, Yzerman was not under the illusion that Copp's a sure thing 65-point 2C. I don't know why people are acting like this is the case.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Copp will be best utilized the same way the Caps used Lars Eller. Really good defensive 3C, who can fill in as 2C for a week or two if an injury hits. Just need another 1+2 C for next year to make that work. Some combo of Larkin, Horvat and Kasper helps(all three is ideal).

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't know how legit this, but anyway...

"At this point we know one team has offered a first-round pick along with their top prospect, meanwhile there's several teams in the mix who have yet to send in their 'final' offers. Teams who have interest include the Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, Edmonton Oilers, Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs and Washington Capitals."

If I had to guess, that team would be Kings and offered Byfield

It's tough to gauge though because obviously a 1st and a top prospect from Boston is a much lesser package than our first and our top prospect. Our first alone should hold more value than the Bruins 1st + their top prospect. The 10th overall pick holds much more value than the 32nd overall pick + Fabian Lysell. This is why the "general ask" varies from team to team. In no world would I part with our 1st and Kasper or Edvinsson, however I would consider our 1st and a A- prospect (Wallinder).

You would think Vancouver would prefer 10th overall + Wallinder over 32nd overall and Lysell.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Horvat> Chiarot and Copp. Wish we used our cap more like this. I rather have one really good player than two average ones. Hopefully going forward we invest in so high end skill.
I wouldn't mind throwing Chiarot in the trade portal for horvat, I just think it sends a bad message for possible players later on because we just signed him.

Right now, he is like a "meh" player for me. I like his physical presence and no bs attitude when it comes to on ice pleasantries, but getting rid of him and maybe veleno and/or vrana (solely because I don't know if he really even wants to be here anymore) + our stl blues 2nd round pick, I think that could be the package that vancouver wants.

I mean we are also at the point where Bertuzzi is just an injury proned player that is great when he is here but he isn't always here. So, if for some reason, vancouver would find Bertuzzi beneficial, then I would throw him in there and take out vrana or veleno. He is a huge locker room guy that would of course be missed, but benefits aren't outweighing the costs anymore.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Horvat> Chiarot and Copp. Wish we used our cap more like this. I rather have one really good player than two average ones. Hopefully going forward we invest in so high end skill.

I agree for sure, but the problem with free agents is that the players have to want to come to your team. Maybe the big name free agents don't want to play for the Wings because the team seems to be stuck in mediocrity, and doesn't appear to be going anywhere any time soon.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
I agree for sure, but the problem with free agents is that the players have to want to come to your team. Maybe the big name free agents don't want to play for the Wings because the team seems to be stuck in mediocrity, and doesn't appear to be going anywhere any time soon.

Obviously, they have to want to come to your team or they won't sign. But the draw isn't always, and not just as simple as how good the team is.

There's many factors. How good the team is is just one.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Even with missing all of camp and starting slow, Copp is looking like the 50ish point good defensive center that Yzerman probably expected.

Its more likely that Horvat is a legit borderline first line center who is really solid defensively. Instead of thinking Copp isnt working out, Yzerman is probably thinking Larkin, Horvat and Copp down the middle is a really, really solid center punch that all play really good 2 way hockey. With those 3 centers and the defense the wings are building they might just have enough to do some damage
Copp is on pace for 7 goals and 45 points, I don't think that's what Yzerman expected for 5.6 million.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I don't get why you would get Horvat as a Larkin replacement. So we give up assets to be where we are today? It makes no sense.

Keep Larkin, but no Horvat. Sounds good to me.
Keep Larkin, acquire Horvat. Cool, again not gonna complain.
Lose Larkin, acquire Horvat then pay him 8 years? Why?
Lose Larkin, no Horvat. So be it.

Like most have said if you don't keep Larkin, you might as well go back into a rebuild mode.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yikes. First time I've heard an insider hint Larkin could be gone. It's the sad reality I guess.

Larkin seems hellbent on getting that 9+ Barzal money. I don't blame the Wings for not wanting to match that. It's a big commitment to a great, but not elite player.

That said, I still very much think Larkin is good enough to win it all with the right supporting cast. But his contract needs to reflect he's a piece of the puzzle, not THE piece.

Adding Horvat to the top 6 would go a long way to taking the load off Larkin and assembling that cast, but both their contacts need to be within reason to build out around them.

We'll see how Yzerman tries to thread this needle. Big challenge for him right now.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Copp is on pace for 7 goals and 45 points, I don't think that's what Yzerman expected for 5.6 million.

7 goals is not good.. But hes not far from 50 point pace, which is basically what we hoped for. He was never going to score 60-65 without some elite linemates. With the cap going up he will be fine as a #3.. That will likely be the going rate before long.

Reactions: Bench

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If Larkin walks and we don't win the lottery as usual, it is going to be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel for this organization.

Reactions: SirloinUB

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Like I said, after the first 10ish games where he obviously had missed training camp, hes on pace for over 50 points. Excluding his time getting in game shape 7-8 games, hes on pace for over 50 points and is really good defensively.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Like I said, after the first 10ish games where he obviously had missed training camp, hes on pace for over 50 points. Excluding his time getting in game shape 7-8 games, hes on pace for over 50 points and is really good defensively.
But if a 2C falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it...does it make a sound?

Reactions: SoupNazi

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
He had 5 pts in his first ten games, take those games away and he is still under 50 pts pace

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If Larkin walks and we don't win the lottery as usual, it is going to be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel for this organization.
Larkin better not walk. We’re a non-playoff team. Again. If he’s unsigned at the deadline and the sides aren’t close, face the music and trade his ass for some loot.

And if we trade Larkin, we might as well put everyone 26+ up for sale and see if we can tank down to a 5 or 6 overall pick while bringing in a haul.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wings should look towards next season. Trade as many pending UFAs as possible (Larkin, Bertuzzi, Suter, Sundqvist, Erne, Määttä, Oesterle) and make an offer to Horvat in the summer.

They still need a few more years of adding to the current great young core thats being built:

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Larkin better not walk. We’re a non-playoff team. Again. If he’s unsigned at the deadline and the sides aren’t close, face the music and trade his ass for some loot.

And if we trade Larkin, we might as well put everyone 26+ up for sale and see if we can tank down to a 5 or 6 overall pick while bringing in a haul.

And we missed the top 4 on a draft that comes once every 5-7 years. The draft with the highest odds to not be able to screw a tanking team over with the lotto. 4 or 5 could very likely be an elite center and most years you cannot say that.

There just wasn't a good enough reason for this team to select this season to move forward. After all these years, we make it to that type of draft and then decide to try to skip out on it. If we were going to do something like this, it should have waited 1 more season.

I'm all for Larkin leaving, however I will be irate if Yzerman doesn't get a return. I wanted Larkin and Bertuzzi traded prior to this season. Our core should start with Seider, Raymond, Berggren, hopefully Edvinsson and Kasper. Hronek should be the oldest player (defenseman typically hit prime later and perform better into their 30s). Play the hell out of our young guys like Rasmussen and see what you can get out of them. Having this as our core fundamentally makes sense from a longevity standpoint as well. Drafting your D first to allow for longer development time.

Reactions: Reddwit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad