Speculation: The Wings are interested in Horvat

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
If horvat unofficially agrees to sign for 8 mil per year for 7 seasons id be willing to offer:

Copp
Rasmussen
1st (lotto protected)
Wallinder

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
The Canucks have other issues besides Horvat, Boeser etc. They are currently still paying Travis Green 2,750,000, Bruce Boudreau $2 million and their new coach Tocchet 2,750.000. Almost 8 million in salary. Well managed group. ha ha.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
If horvat unofficially agrees to sign for 8 mil per year for 7 seasons id be willing to offer:

Copp
Rasmussen
1st (lotto protected)
Wallinder
I would hope that we could get something else with Horvat for that package...like Myers or Boeser or SOMETHING else. Seems to be a massive overpayment.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Horvat was apparently a Wings fan growing up. Not that means much years later when you're a professional. But just something to note.
I think it does actually.
He is really close with his family. He also had the luxury of playing his junior hockey near his hometown and won a Couple OHL titles for his ‘local’ junior team he grew up watching.

If the cards aligned, I think he would jump at the chance to go near home and try and win a cup for the team he grew up cheering for.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I don't know how legit this, but anyway...

"At this point we know one team has offered a first-round pick along with their top prospect, meanwhile there's several teams in the mix who have yet to send in their 'final' offers. Teams who have interest include the Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, Edmonton Oilers, Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs and Washington Capitals."

If I had to guess, that team would be Kings and offered Byfield

Reactions: K1900L

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019

"At this point we know one team has offered a first-round pick along with their top prospect, meanwhile there's several teams in the mix who have yet to send in their 'final' offers. Teams who have interest include the Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, Edmonton Oilers, Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs and Washington Capitals."

Yeah, compared to those teams I'd guess that we would have to give him much more than he is worth.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So Vancouver says that teams can't talk with Horvat before trading for him.

Right. Because sports franchises NEVER find loopholes or technicalities.

I'm sure there's ZERO percent chance that Horvat's agent bumps into a random stranger, totally unaffiliated with the Wings, but somehow completely knowledgeable about what contract terms they would offer his client... hypothetically, of course.

Reactions: SoupNazi

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
I am always a little wary of C's who have more goals than assists, seems like they are less adept at making wingers better

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

1st + Byfield? If Canucks didn’t jump on that they are fools.

My guess is more like the Bruins 1st + Lysell.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Its ideal to get Horvat in free agency but there is also the risk he doesnt make it to July 1st. Im not thrilled at the thought of giving up assets but quality over quantity and we cant find room for everyone in the long term. Think I would like to keep Rasmussen... I could see him being a playoff monster.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Really don't want anything to do with giving up good assets and potentially overpaying a guy having a total outlier season in a contract year. As a UFA maybe but Wings have no business trading for him atp

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
He says the name "Detroit" very quickly in passing.

There is no "the two sides talked over the weekend" in reference to Detroit.

There's no fire, there isn't even any smoke.

There is 100% smoke and in my opinion fire. HSJ doesn't write a piece about the Wings being interested in Horvat without it coming from the Wings itself. Are people forgetting how secretive Yzerman is? Things don't leak from this org, so that leaves info coming from the Canucks or the Wings themselves.

Last edited:

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'm have no idea what will or will not end up happening, but Yzerman showed as recently as the Husso deal (who was only days away from reaching UFA) that if he really wants a guy, he's OK spending what it takes to get him rather than chance the open market.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Gotta wonder if this is Yzerman's way of saying Copp isn't working out like he'd hoped.
I think he's probably a tad underwhelmed with Copp thus far, but Yzerman doesn't strike me as a guy who would rush to make a splash based on a few months of an underperforming middle six forward.

My best guess is that the season as a whole (slumps, injuries, coaching) is behind expectations, and he's turning over every rock he can to prepare before the deadline (while still juggling negotiations with Larkin).

Reactions: SoupNazi

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I think he's probably a tad underwhelmed with Copp thus far, but Yzerman doesn't strike me as a guy who would rush to make a splash based on a few months of an underperforming middle six forward.

My best guess is that the season as a whole (slumps, injuries, coaching) is behind expectations, and he's turning over every rock he can to prepare before the deadline (while still juggling negotiations with Larkin).
He traded two 2nd's and a 3rd for Anders Lindback in Tampa and when he started crapping the bed, he made a trade for Ben Bishop at the trade deadline that same season. He's exactly that type of guy.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
He traded two 2nd's and a 3rd for Anders Lindback in Tampa and when he started crapping the bed, he made a trade for Ben Bishop at the trade deadline that same season. He's exactly that type of guy.
I mean we have already seen him do that with the goalies here, but I don't think he is interested in Horvat because of Copp.

We all know he is filler for something better, be it Kasper or another free agent/trade.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean we have already seen him do that with the goalies here, but I don't think he is interested in Horvat because of Copp.

We all know he is filler for something better, be it Kasper or another free agent/trade.
Yeah, Copp is signed to a deal that's not crippling if he ends up on the 3rd line. He can provide value if we go all-in on making him a matchup center.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Technically true, but apples and oranges. That Tampa team was coming off losing in the Conference Finals after 3 years in a row of missing the playoffs, and then was back on pace to miss the playoffs again (which they did). Much more justification for shaking things up.

Not exactly the same roster expectations as the current phase of the Detroit rebuild.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Copp is a guy we're hoping to be able to move up and down the top9 to whatever line he fits best in and be the bert/killorn/palat type of guy. I don't think his contract is an overpayment for that type of guy but I do think it means we need more talent to put in ahead of him. Like Horvat.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Gotta wonder if this is Yzerman's way of saying Copp isn't working out like he'd hoped.
Even with missing all of camp and starting slow, Copp is looking like the 50ish point good defensive center that Yzerman probably expected.

Its more likely that Horvat is a legit borderline first line center who is really solid defensively. Instead of thinking Copp isnt working out, Yzerman is probably thinking Larkin, Horvat and Copp down the middle is a really, really solid center punch that all play really good 2 way hockey. With those 3 centers and the defense the wings are building they might just have enough to do some damage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad