The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 5.0

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
After years of seeing snowbirds from up north attend Lightning games in Tampa my daughter and I are going to go against the flow and will travel to Montreal in late October. Just bought tickets for the Bolts/Habs game on the 27th. This will be a hockey fan bucket list item for both of us and we're really looking forward to it. I haven't been to Montreal since Expo 67 and my daughters never been. Lshap's opening post is a great resource, thanks for posting it. See you in October......................

Well, not many of the pavilions that were there are still intact. The American Pavilion ( now called the Biosphere) is still there, as well as Habitat 67 ( that odd shaped apartment complex now turned condos ), but most of the other ones were demolished for municipal park space run by the city.

If you are into car racing, you can visit the F1 track on Ile Notre Dame, which is right next to Expo 67 site. You can even drive on it I think...

Hope you enjoy the game !!

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Visiting Montreal

Hey friends, my wife and I decided to take one last short vacation from Pittsburgh before we become parents and decided to visit Montreal :) We got in yesterday and are staying downtown just a few blocks from the Bell Centre thru Saturday. We have a scooter tour planned tomorrow and are going to the Canadiens/Leafs preseason game but I was hoping I could get some suggestions on restaurants to go to and anything you'd recommend for us to do/see downtown. The city is beautiful and everyone has been really friendly and helpful!

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Hey friends, my wife and I decided to take one last short vacation from Pittsburgh before we become parents and decided to visit Montreal :) We got in yesterday and are staying downtown just a few blocks from the Bell Centre thru Saturday. We have a scooter tour planned tomorrow and are going to the Canadiens/Leafs preseason game but I was hoping I could get some suggestions on restaurants to go to and anything you'd recommend for us to do/see downtown. The city is beautiful and everyone has been really friendly and helpful!

Are you or your wife picky when it comes to food? You'll definitely get help here, just wondering what type of food you prefer or want to try.

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
Sharing a post I wrote on a similar thread earlier this year.

Do yourself a favour and get out of the downtown core. It's nice and deserves to be seen for first-timers, but there's so much more to see and fortunately, the metro makes it all easily accessible (most of the time).

Get out at Jean-Talon and check out the Jean-Talon Market. It's better during the summer but it still has some great food year-round.

Get out at Place St-Henri and walk on Notre-Dame going East until you get to Atwater Market, another great market. The Notre-Dame strip is also home to many great food options. You can also reach the Lachine Canal there which is super nice for walks.

Get out at Laurier or Mont-Royal and go West to explore the Plateau and Mile End, probably the most trendy neighbourhoods in the city right now and home to many other great food spots, especially on Fairmount with Fairmount Bagels and Wilensky's if you're craving a bologna sandwich. St-Viateur has St-Viateur Bagels (both bagel spots deserve to be tried) and some nice italian coffee spots.

Get out at Sherbrooke and walk East to reach Parc Lafontaine, a nice place to take a walk, feels a bit like a small Central Park. You have La Banquise for poutine (although you will wait and I personally don't think it's that great) and Ma Poule Mouillée (portuguese chicken) right next to the park.

Get out at Pie-IX and check out the Olympic Park (Biodome, Insectarium, Planetarium, Olympic Stadium, Saputo Stadium, Botanical Gardens, etc.).

Get out at Mont-Royal and take the 11 bus up the mountain to the top of Mont-Royal for some of the best sights this city has to offer.

Of course you can also drive/take cabs to all these places but the metro is pretty simple to use and gets you to all those places fairly easily. Montreal is also a great walking city and there's no better way to get a feel for all the different neighbourhoods. Have fun!

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Are you or your wife picky when it comes to food? You'll definitely get help here, just wondering what type of food you prefer or want to try.

Thanks that's a really good question. I'll try pretty much anything as long as shellfish aren't included thanks to allergies haha. She's definitely more picky than I am. She's not a big fan of Indian, Thai, or most seafood but otherwise she'll eat most anything else.

From traveling Europe she's a fan of Crepes and Liege Waffles which it looks likely me we can get nearby - any suggestions for places to go for either of those?

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
I got class now. I'll try to help you once I get back home.

Enjoy your stay and yeah, lots of places to visit outside of downtown.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I got class now. I'll try to help you once I get back home.

Enjoy your stay and yeah, lots of places to visit outside of downtown.

Thanks man :) Actually we are on a bus heading to Quebec City right now for the day so we are definitely getting out of downtown haha

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
Sweet thanks for the suggestions!!!

Hmm Portuguese chicken? How would you describe the preparation?

It's piri piri spiced chicken. Chicken is roasted slowly over coals with lots of spices and you can get it a few different ways (1/4 chicken, 1/2 chicken, sandwich, poutine, etc.). Served with salad and a huge portion of spiced fries (and/or rice and potatoes). It's super popular in Montreal and you can get it in a few different spots around the Plateau neighborhood, most recommended are Ma Poule Mouillée and Romados. It's delicious, cheap and you get lots for your money without feeling like you just ate some random fast food (although I recommend some downtime after the meal, it's quite filling!).

Highly recommend a walk around Parc Lafontaine and then a meal at Ma Poule Mouillée (you can even get it takeout and eat in the park if you want) if the chicken piques your interest. If you'd rather stay closer to Mt. Royal, then definitely hit up Romados.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Go to Schwartz's and to La Banquise. Don't miss out these places and make sure to go to Atwater Market

Eh... La Banquise is really not necessary as far as I'm concerned. Unless it's real late.

OP : Are you interested in breweries/beer? That's pretty much the only thing I can really help you with :)

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Eh... La Banquise is really not necessary as far as I'm concerned. Unless it's real late.

OP : Are you interested in breweries/beer? That's pretty much the only thing I can really help you with :)

Both schwartz and la banquise are pretty meh these days, IMO.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Both schwartz and la banquise are pretty meh these days, IMO.

Ma Poule Mouillee is next on my list of places to try, but Romados is freaking solid. One of my best friends opened a little spot near Romados, on Rachel street.

http://epiceriehao.com/ Reviews have been superb so far, but it's a tiny place and the hours are really weird lol. Food is delicious though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I am ALWAYS interested in breweries :D

Not too far from Bell Center is Benelux (Sherbrooke). That's by far the best brewery/brewpub in the area of the BC.

If you have an interest in Breweries, then you might have heard from Dieu du Ciel. The Brewpub is at the Laurier/Clark corner (Clark is just aside from St-Laurent Blvd.). Metro Laurier. It's always full though.

Station Ho.St is great, but a bit removed and it's not a place for hopheads.

Le Cheval Blanc is also an interesting place. Metro Sherbrooke or Berri.

I never went on the premises, but the beers are both awesome and original : Brasserie Harricana. Corner Jean-Talon and St-Urbain.

For Taprooms, I strongly suggest l'Isle de Garde. Christophe-Colomb/Beaubien (Metro Beaubien). Vices Versa is pretty interesting too.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Heading up in November to see the Bruins and Kings.........friends are telling me to go to the Station Des Sports, is this a good sports bar? Better than the Cage at the Bell??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad