The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 5.0

Bruins37

Oct 9, 2005
Boston
Hey guys, Bruins fan here. I'll be making the drive up north to see the B's play in December. What are your thoughts if I wear a Bruins hoodie to the game? Am I asking for trouble? I tend to keep quiet at the games but I've seen plenty of Habs fans in jerseys do the same at the Garden and the outcome wasn't great. I want to represent my team but not at the risk of ruining the night. Thoughts?

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Hey guys, Bruins fan here. I'll be making the drive up north to see the B's play in December. What are your thoughts if I wear a Bruins hoodie to the game? Am I asking for trouble? I tend to keep quiet at the games but I've seen plenty of Habs fans in jerseys do the same at the Garden and the outcome wasn't great. I want to represent my team but not at the risk of ruining the night. Thoughts?

don't worry about it unless you are sitting somewhere up high and trying to get into people's faces.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
What you're wearing makes no difference. Just don't be an ass to people at the arena and you'll be fine.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I personally go to Ye Olde Orchard on Montagne (corner Rene) $5 pint specials and good food. It is less than 5 minutes from the Bell centre.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Also, I think I asked this in the wrong thread earlier, does anyone know where the LA Kings stay when they are in town? Wanna try and get a shirt signed. Thanks / Merci

CLJ

Dec 13, 2006
Any recommendations on steakhouse for after the game? Want something different than the Keg. Used to like Cheval but felt last few times I went it wasn't great , haven't been since they moved around the corner yet the online reviews are either really good or really bad. Went to Gibby's years ago and loved it. Heard great things about Moishe's. Any other spots? Thanks for recommending

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hello all, going up for the WJC's in late Dec. Have been reading many, many hotel reviews and while a ton say great place to stay, blah, blah, a ton mention being in "sketchy" parts of town. And while I don't necessarily believe reviews I am traveling with two boys, 10 and 12, so I have to think about this.

Can someone recommend a nice place that is close to a Metro/rail with access to the Bell Centre? I want to do touristy things for sure, but mainly we are there for the hockey. Very much appreciated.

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
Hello all, going up for the WJC's in late Dec. Have been reading many, many hotel reviews and while a ton say great place to stay, blah, blah, a ton mention being in "sketchy" parts of town. And while I don't necessarily believe reviews I am traveling with two boys, 10 and 12, so I have to think about this.

Can someone recommend a nice place that is close to a Metro/rail with access to the Bell Centre? I want to do touristy things for sure, but mainly we are there for the hockey. Very much appreciated.

Honestly you will be safe everywhere in downtown... No sketchy place here honestly. On the cheaper side it would be a hotel next to Berri-UQAM metro next to the Gay Village. It is about a 15 minute metro ride to Bell Center. Hotels right next to the Bell Centre are pretty expensive

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Honestly you will be safe everywhere in downtown... No sketchy place here honestly. On the cheaper side it would be a hotel next to Berri-UQAM metro next to the Gay Village. It is about a 15 minute metro ride to Bell Center. Hotels right next to the Bell Centre are pretty expensive

Thank you, I will research that now.

Edit: Hotel St. Denis looks like a good one. I will book tomorrow unless someone here says not to. ;)

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hi friends. Coming into Montreal next Friday for the weekend. First timer!

My only question is, where do I go for a smoked meat sandwich?

Schwartz seems like the obvious choice. One of those things you kinda have to do. But I've heard Reuben's is better. Which do you recommend?

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Hi friends. Coming into Montreal next Friday for the weekend. First timer!

My only question is, where do I go for a smoked meat sandwich?

Schwartz seems like the obvious choice. One of those things you kinda have to do. But I've heard Reuben's is better. Which do you recommend?

Smoke Meat Jarry, if you are willing to drive away from the downtown area.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Want to come up from NH for the Feb 28 game vs Columbus. Have no idea how the city is laid out...where to be and where to go. My wife and I are B&B goers...not hotel people...any suggestions?

I don't think we need to be right at Bell Centre but convenient to a Metro stop would be great. Planning to stay an extra night so we can explore more of the city so being near a nice night district for the second night would be nice. Not late night partiers but nice restaurants and wine bars or adult music would be nice.

Looks like I gotta go to Stubhub, nothing on NHL.com for that game.

Last edited:

DuRoux

Oct 21, 2010
Trois-Rivieres
First time going to the bell centre this monday, gonna spend most of the day in montreal, but head back to Trois-Rivières at the end of the game. Where do you suggest that we park to leave the car for the whole day and not be stuck for an hour or two at the end of the game?

Also where do you suggest we go for diner, we went to eat good chicken wings and really don't want to go to La Cage au Sport.

Thanks

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
First time going to the bell centre this monday, gonna spend most of the day in montreal, but head back to Trois-Rivières at the end of the game. Where do you suggest that we park to leave the car for the whole day and not be stuck for an hour or two at the end of the game?

Also where do you suggest we go for diner, we went to eat good chicken wings and really don't want to go to La Cage au Sport.

Thanks

There's a parking lot on Stanley below Ste. Catherine that I used to park at when I would drive to games. There will be a little bit of traffic post game, but it's very manageable.

As for good chicken wings in Montreal... I've lived here for all my life, and I'll let you know if I ever find any.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
OT: Cult diners in Montreal

Lived in Montreal for s spell in the 90's and fell in love with the short order restaurants/diners in the city here is my list of top 10 spots

Green spot
Decarie Hot Dogs
Cosmos
Delilos
Any brasserie on the island
Lafleurs hot dogs
Bar b barn
Barbies
Lunch counter Bay Downtown
Chenoys

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Bar B Barn :laugh: I ate at the one near my house with my dad once a few years ago. He looked around and said "Wow this place hasn't changed in 25 years."

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It closed last year but the 'Corner Snack Bar' aka Moe's was a classic.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/imminent-closing-brings-back-fond-memories-of-moes-diner

$

Beauty's is still going strong

http://www.themainmtl.com/2015/03/beautys-hymie-sckolnick-montreal/

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marven's
Jarry Smoked Meat
Arahova's
Montreal Pool Room
Boustan
Ribs at Baton Rouge
Rubs (Friday to Sunday menu)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Marven's
Jarry Smoked Meat
Arahova's
Montreal Pool Room
Boustan
Ribs at Baton Rouge
Rubs (Friday to Sunday menu)

Man... Marvens. Haven't been there in years. In the middle of frikkin nowhere, eating huge brochettes against a hunting-lodge decor. Like what a Greek restaurant in Wyoming would be like.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Surprised Schwartz hasn't been mentionned yet.

Is there a non-upscale smokehouse in Montréal?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Not downtown, but a real blast from the past: Restaurant Capri. Right on the corner of Rosemont and De Lorimier.

They still have the little jukeboxes for each table.

Capri-3.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad