The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 5.0

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not downtown, but a real blast from the past: Restaurant Capri. Right on the corner of Rosemont and De Lorimier.

They still have the little jukeboxes for each table.

Capri-3.jpg

...But they also have Poutine au Fromage Râpé.

Risenomega

Nov 9, 2010
Traveling From NJ for first Habs game, need some info.

Hi All,

I will be traveling from NJ to Montreal for my first Habs game on the 25th of March vs the Senators. I have never been to the city before, or the Bell center and was wondering if any of you wouldn't mind offering up some helpful tips as far as stuff to do while at the game (food, drink, fan things), where to meet players, good bars and food around, and also things I have to do while in Montreal. I will be there from friday to sunday so I have plenty of time to explore. Also any specific etiquette I should be aware of? Thanks for the help.

Adam

Risenomega

Nov 9, 2010
Portuguese chicken sandwiches sound amazing. Im all about finding great food when Im there. And HELL YES I'm into craft beer! Got a suggestion

MrDangles67

Jun 17, 2014
Nb,Canada
Hi All,

I will be traveling from NJ to Montreal for my first Habs game on the 25th of March vs the Senators. I have never been to the city before, or the Bell center and was wondering if any of you wouldn't mind offering up some helpful tips as far as stuff to do while at the game (food, drink, fan things), where to meet players, good bars and food around, and also things I have to do while in Montreal. I will be there from friday to sunday so I have plenty of time to explore. Also any specific etiquette I should be aware of? Thanks for the help.

Adam

If you scroll down it will show you how to meet the habs before and/or after watching them practice. I personally got about half the teams signatures a year ago!

http://www.freddyhaddad.com/blog/how-to-meet-the-montreal-canadiens-or-just-see-them-practice

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Not downtown, but a real blast from the past: Restaurant Capri. Right on the corner of Rosemont and De Lorimier.

They still have the little jukeboxes for each table.

Capri-3.jpg

Last year on my birthday, my friends and I all ended up there at 3am eating food and listening to Shaggy - It Wasn't Me on the little jukebox.

Cull909

Dec 26, 2006
Connecticut
Hey all, thinking of moving to Canada because Trump. Wondering if anyone here works in digital marketing? Is French necessary to grab a leadership position (I'm VP for a major US insuance company now)? Am taking classes, but far from being able to read/ write. Also for a downtown commute any tips on neighborhoods? North or south shore commute times?

Thanks in advance

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Hey all, thinking of moving to Canada because Trump. Wondering if anyone here works in digital marketing? Is French necessary to grab a leadership position (I'm VP for a major US insuance company now)? Am taking classes, but far from being able to read/ write. Also for a downtown commute any tips on neighborhoods? North or south shore commute times?

Thanks in advance

I suggest you start a thread on Reddit's r/Montreal.

All Star John Scott

Jan 17, 2016
Hey guys, I'm going up to Montreal the weekend of the 17th in February. It's gonna be 4 college aged guys so we looking for stuff to do in between the drinking! I also wanna know the best place for smoked meat in the downtown area!

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I might be going to Montreal in May because I have a week off. I'd have zero plans just kind of go with the flow sort of thing.

A question for mostly those who have traveled, would you recommend Air BnB or a Hostel? I'd mostly just be using it to shower/sleep and not much else.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Hi all. Making the trip with a group of friends to see Habs/Sens on March 25. We're staying for the weekend, so are interested in checking out the nightlife as well.

Is there enough nightlife very close to the arena? We are trying to figure out where to stay, and are wondering if it makes more sense to stay right by the arena or in an area where bars/clubs are more accessible.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Silly question. Looking for a nice slice of sugar pie somewhere downtown, preferably walking distance from the Bell Centre.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Just made my first trip to Montreal. Spent the weekend up there. Friday night went to dinner at Weinstein & Gavino's, then out to Boisbriand to catch an Armada game then to a couple bars back in Montreal (Brutopia and a couple others). Saturday went to Eggspectation for possibly the best breakfast I've ever had (breakfast poutine), then the Habs game and then several hours of bar hopping, watching HNIC, etc..

What a terrific experience! I instantly was enamored with the city, the culture, the girls...you guys actually watch hockey the right way. In Philadelphia, in MSG, whatever, people file in whenever, there are large blotches of empty seats at puck drop, people are d****** around on their phones, there is music blaring beyond a comfortable decibel level and no one can talk to each other, there are lasers that hit you in the eyes and all this awful stuff...in Montreal, everyone is sitting waiting for puck drop, they're all paying attention, ooh's and aah's with every rush (despite the fact that so many of Montreal's rushes go wide at the blueline and it gives the attack no place to go, no player carries down the dot line, almost never does anyone cross the blueline in the interior of the rink - principles of rush offence be damned...plus, the PP dumps it in as a main form of entry, which is a fire-able offense in my opinion). Anyway...the crowd is 98% Habs fans...wearing Habs gear...not like a lot of other cities I've been to where there's a larger mix of jerseys, a good smattering of others fans, etc.

The city itself is quite charming...you have to look to find graffiti or gratuitous amounts of litter...in Philadelphia - I walk to and from work every day - and you see people just walking and throwing trash on the ground at random even though there's garbage cans every five feet in the city...

I will say that I did underestimate the "gravity" (not the best word here) of French that is used in Montreal. I was expecting more things to be in French and English...I wasn't expecting that in a place like Boisbriand, but in Montreal proper I thought it would be a little easier for someone who does not speak French very well and has little understanding of what's being said (but I can read enough to get me by in some cases)...that said, I didn't run into anyone that didn't speak enough English for me to communicate with them effectively which removed that intimidation. Everyone was very accommodating in every way.

Other than being a hockey coach, I have probably no transferable skills that would make me useful to society up there...but I could definitely live there if given the choice, I don't mind the cold, I would love to be able to speak the language...it was just a wonderful experience all around and minus the Habs game, I hardly spent any money at all it felt like...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Just made my first trip to Montreal. Spent the weekend up there. Friday night went to dinner at Weinstein & Gavino's, then out to Boisbriand to catch an Armada game then to a couple bars back in Montreal (Brutopia and a couple others). Saturday went to Eggspectation for possibly the best breakfast I've ever had (breakfast poutine), then the Habs game and then several hours of bar hopping, watching HNIC, etc..

...And you didn't went exactly to the best places!!! (Brutopia is the brewery to avoid and W&G is the non-Junk restaurant to avoid). I'd probably lunch a Harvey's before going at W&G.

I will say that I did underestimate the "gravity" (not the best word here) of French that is used in Montreal. I was expecting more things to be in French and English...I wasn't expecting that in a place like Boisbriand, but in Montreal proper I thought it would be a little easier for someone who does not speak French very well and has little understanding of what's being said (but I can read enough to get me by in some cases)...that said, I didn't run into anyone that didn't speak enough English for me to communicate with them effectively which removed that intimidation. Everyone was very accommodating in every way.

Where did you go? Surprised you'd have issues at Brutopia and W&G, because they are not French places.

Other than being a hockey coach, I have probably no transferable skills that would make me useful to society up there...but I could definitely live there if given the choice, I don't mind the cold, I would love to be able to speak the language...it was just a wonderful experience all around and minus the Habs game, I hardly spent any money at all it felt like...[/QUOTE]

...French-to-English translator?

Oct 22, 2012
Looking at getting a cheap seat for the March. 19th game vs. sens, by cheap I mean less than $100. Without being too picky are there any sections I should avoid?

Wife got me tickets to the 18th game in Ottawa and just decided to book bus and hotel to Montreal and do the home and home :)

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Yeah, first time, I went for stuff I could understand and stuff that got decent reviews, etc.

I actually was pretty content W&G, probably a touch over-priced for what they offer, but I was content with it. I had a shrimp dish that was good. Brutopia was a fine spot (and yes, the most English place I went) until some loser tried to play live music while a WHL game was on TV (every TV *heart eyes emoji, you guys are awesome)...that kind of spoiled it.

There was another bar near Brutopia I think we went to, also went to some of those Irish pubs on Ste. Catharine or Crescent or both. One place that had a bunch of small TVs and some slot machines, another place that had two or three levels and poor service, a couple of other places where we got just one drink or whatever along the way...we did stop in Club Midtown or whatever it's called...much less seedy than similar establishments in America, much cheaper, much more regimented and the "weight" of what that type of place does is different than America as well...you guys think the "room" is the show, we suggest that the "stage" is the show.

But, to be clear, I had no "issues" - everyone was great.

And :laugh: there's a 0% chance of me ever being a translator. I have a hard enough just speaking one language...

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
Yeah, first time, I went for stuff I could understand and stuff that got decent reviews, etc.

I actually was pretty content W&G, probably a touch over-priced for what they offer, but I was content with it. I had a shrimp dish that was good. Brutopia was a fine spot (and yes, the most English place I went) until some loser tried to play live music while a WHL game was on TV (every TV *heart eyes emoji, you guys are awesome)...that kind of spoiled it.

There was another bar near Brutopia I think we went to, also went to some of those Irish pubs on Ste. Catharine or Crescent or both. One place that had a bunch of small TVs and some slot machines, another place that had two or three levels and poor service, a couple of other places where we got just one drink or whatever along the way...we did stop in Club Midtown or whatever it's called...much less seedy than similar establishments in America, much cheaper, much more regimented and the "weight" of what that type of place does is different than America as well...you guys think the "room" is the show, we suggest that the "stage" is the show.

But, to be clear, I had no "issues" - everyone was great.

And :laugh: there's a 0% chance of me ever being a translator. I have a hard enough just speaking one language...

Right next to Brutopia is Hurley's Irish Pub and you have MadHatters across the street which is very cheap!

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Dunn's has a decent amount of cakes and pies for dessert. Might have what you're looking for.

Funny enough, the only place we went to that had it was at the Habs restaurant in the airport. It was pretty good, but I'm far from a connoisseur of sugar pie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad