Confirmed with Link: The Washington Capitals and head coach Peter Laviolette have agreed to mutually part ways. (UPD 4/17: Forsythe and McCarthy gone too)

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
If Toronto lose first round, Keefe will get fired?

Does that then give them first shot at Carberry? Assuming he is offered our job as well, which would he take?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
To get that out of a post which literally shows that even McPhee was able to hit on late 1st and lower rounders to get impact NHLers while GMBM out of all his draft picks over 8 years managed all of Fehervary to stick on the team takes an impressive level of remedial reading even by this board's standards.
Exactly. McPhee’s drafting in similar positions yielded far better players than Maclellan’s. Carlson, Kuzy, Orlov, Bura, Stephenson, Eakin, Sanford, Djoos, Boyd, Grubauer, MJ, Holtby, Varlamov, Neuvirth, and Perreault were all players drafted in positions similar to those Maclellan’s staff had. Sure the jury is out on some of Maclellan’s picks but by and large it’s not looking good. Fever and possibly Iorio could be the only diamonds in the rough he’s drafted. I had some high hopes for Protas but the more I watch him the lower his ceiling becomes in my mind.

McPhee has had his warts as well but Maclellan’s poor drafting has not helped our roster vis a vis the salary cap. And yes I understand Mahoney plays a role but Mahoney doesn’t draft in a vacuum, of course Maclellan’s input and perceived needs are factors.

Reactions: Hivemind

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Exactly. McPhee’s drafting in similar positions yielded far better players than Maclellan’s. Carlson, Kuzy, Orlov, Bura, Stephenson, Eakin, Sanford, Djoos, Boyd, Grubauer, MJ, Holtby, Varlamov, Neuvirth, and Perreault were all players drafted in positions similar to those Maclellan’s staff had. Sure the jury is out on some of Maclellan’s picks but by and large it’s not looking good. Fever and possibly Iorio could be the only diamonds in the rough he’s drafted. I had some high hopes for Protas but the more I watch him the lower his ceiling becomes in my mind.

McPhee has had his warts as well but Maclellan’s poor drafting has not helped our roster vis a vis the salary cap. And yes I understand Mahoney plays a role but Mahoney doesn’t draft in a vacuum, of course Maclellan’s input and perceived needs are factors.
Mahoney was head of scouting under McPhee too….I’m not following you here.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023

Mike Green was a late 1st rounder as well and whipping boy Jeff Schultz was about what Fehervary has shown so far give or take. Forsberg and Wilson pretty comparable to Vrana and Miroschinenko draft positions too though judgment is out on the latter.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I have real doubt that McPhee or GMBM really factor in a ton around the draft. Both GMs have made it clear that Ross Mahoney runs it and while they may have the final decision…let’s be real, the GMs don’t know anything except what the scouting staff tells them. Mahoney overall has done a fine job. I don’t get all the whining.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Mahoney was head of scouting under McPhee too….I’m not following you here.
So you believe it’s pure coincidence that Mahoney’s scouting has deteriorated under Maclellan? That Maclellan doesn’t give him some outline for what he’s looking for in a player, what type of player fits the team in what timeline?

Reactions: Hivemind

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think they need to stop scouting and just look at the numbers. Do their past 10 drafts beat the best players available according to NHLe? Probably not!

By cutting the amateur scouting staff they could apply those savings to making concessions cheaper at the MCI Center. Or whatever they call the arena nowadays. I don’t know I haven’t been there in so long since I don’t watch the games and I’m not in the DC area any more but rather in True America (Florida).

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
I think they need to stop scouting and just look at the numbers. Do their past 10 drafts beat the best players available according to NHLe? Probably not!

By cutting the amateur scouting staff they could apply those savings to making concessions cheaper at the MCI Center. Or whatever they call the arena nowadays. I don’t know I haven’t been there in so long since I don’t watch the games and I’m not in the DC area any more but rather in True America (Florida).
Sorry but Florida is anything but true America.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don’t hate Murray as much as most. He came to Hershey in 2013, understudy of Korn and they have coached up plenty of talent that has made it to the NHL.

Look at sample size from this year: Sammy and Vanechek (trained by Murray) go elsewhere and succeed. Darcy and Charlie come in (not trained by Murray) and regress. I think a fair bit of this was the shit system we were running that left goalies hung out to dry.

I have no issue with him staying with our crop of goalies. Getting rid of Blaine and McCarthy along with Lavi makes me happy because we need to change the voice in room and the PP.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Random thoughts looking at some older drafts early after drafting Ovie that 2005 draft did not help the rebuild with two firsts round picks translating to 21 NHL games (all Finley). 2007 minus Alzner not a single NHL game.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I actually went to the 96’ draft in StLouis. I still feel that was the worst caps draft ever. It was also a very poor draft class overall.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I actually went to the 96’ draft in StLouis. I still feel that was the worst caps draft ever. It was also a very poor draft class overall.
Man I remember checking out Jan Bulis's stats after the caps drafted him. Leading games played at 552. Looks like a decently long KHL career.

Still not much to show for two 1sts, one 2nd, and three 3rds.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
DK has a 5yr deal and Chucky has a 3yr deal. It might be as simple as keeping those guys happy, at least for the transition.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
He's a bad goalie coach who just got an extension.

I don't think the bar is set very high for him given this extension.

They just ditched, fired, got rid of, and/or parted ways (lol) with Lavy, Forsythe, & McCarthy but keeping Murray in the interim is a sign of the apocolypse? Seriously? Rhetorical question, but seriously? hahahaha

Also, you used the word 'extension'. Shirley, you're not referring to him not losing his job at the moment a 'contract extension'? Apologies for the questions...I haven't had my meth yet this morning.

Last edited:

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
They just ditched, fired, got rid of, and/or parted ways (lol) with Lavy, Forsythe, & McCarthy but keeping Murray in the interim is a sign of the apocolypse? Seriously? Rhetorical question, but seriously? hahahaha

Also, you used the word 'extension'. Shirley, you're not referring to him not loosing his job at the moment a 'contract extension'? Apologies for the questions...I haven't had my meth yet this morning.
According to TEB Murray and Leonhardt got extensions. Random schmoe posted it earlier.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Also, you used the word 'extension'. Shirley, you're not referring to him not loosing his job at the moment a 'contract extension'? Apologies for the questions...I haven't had my meth yet this morning.
I didn't mention apocalypse, did i?

Goaltending is sort of an important position in hockey. Are we still going to pretend it's just a coincidence that goalies who leave our team get better and the goalies who come in immediately put up worse numbers?

I used the word extension because reportedly his contract was expiring and now he's coming back. Is that not an extension?

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
According to TEB Murray and Leonhardt got extensions. Random schmoe posted it earlier.
Missed it of course...upon further review it says: Others are receiving extensions, it’s believed.
Like I said earlier, I'll wait and see before becoming agitated and complain on here.

I didn't mention apocalypse, did i?

Goaltending is sort of an important position in hockey. Are we still going to pretend it's just a coincidence that goalies who leave our team get better and the goalies who come in immediately put up worse numbers?

I used the word extension because reportedly his contract was expiring and now he's coming back. Is that not an extension?

Dude/Dudette: You mentioned 'tanking for next season' which we all know is apocolyptic talk on here.

As for extension talk, like I just posted, I'll complain once I see facts....not conjecture.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Dude/Dudette: You mentioned 'tanking for next season' which we all know is apocolyptic talk on here.

As for extension talk, like I just posted, I'll complain once I see facts....not conjecture.

I don't think we'll go into the season with the intent to tank, hopefully not atleast. Just saying that to remain in the Playoff hunt we are going to need a really good summer from GMBM and very good goaltending next season. Otherwise the red tank is going to make a stunning come-back around the trade deadline next season. I feel less confident in Kuemper rebounding now with Murray extension but who knows, maybe 7th time is the charm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad