TV: The Walking Dead | S7 | PART III | (NO COMIC DISCUSSION/SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
It's the writers' fault

Here's what I suggested last fall:

This show needs a drastic shift in direction

Here's a thought, why not make the zombies the real threat?

Gas has gone bad making vehicles useless, all while a pack of 30 million zombies from the north are tirelessly marching down on them

The group is forced to flee south and wind up in Florida, where they realize too late that the pack of 30 million zombies is going to trap them in South Florida

Eventually, they're forced to raft it to Cuba!

Why are the zombies heading south, you ask?

Because zombies are susceptible to freezing, so they instinctively seek out warmer climates
Sounds like the new season of Game of thrones.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So basically Last Man on Earth, except it's on the East Coast and instead of Nuclear Meltdowns it's zombies looking for a vacay.

Zombies shouldn't be a threat. Not like that. They should transition to a show about rebuilding society instead of constant war and survival in the state of nature.

The breakdown of society would've been interesting, but not the rebuilding of it

And not having the zombies as a threat seems like an odd way write a zombie apocalypse show

Would Jaws have been as good if the shark wasn't a threat?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
At first when people made mistakes it could be viewed as rookie mistakes.Now everyone is a seasoned vet at living in the new world.It's dog eat dog.When the saviors were trapped in the building why not torch it,they are at war.
Why have they never found a crop duster to load with gas and torch mobs of walkers or anyone else they don't like? What ever happened to the chopper Rick had seen? The show was better when they were trying to survive rather than stay in an area with the saviors and going to war and f***ing it up at every turn.
Ricks group is good at surviving and suck at everything else.

Reactions: ArchAngel55

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The breakdown of society would've been interesting, but not the rebuilding of it

And not having the zombies as a threat seems like an odd way write a zombie apocalypse show

Different concepts. The zombies aren't the story in the Walking Dead, they're the background or environment. Don't see why a show about rebuilding wouldn't be interesting.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

One thing i noticed about the show is at first zombies were the bad guy where now other people are the bad guy and zombies are an inherent threat.Zombies can be managed to some extent in limited numbers and used to your advantage.Man is the real threat.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I only got through 30 minutes of it. So terrible. I'll finish the ep and series out since i've watched so much already but PLEASE wrap it up next season or i won't even bother watching season 9.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
One thing i noticed about the show is at first zombies were the bad guy where now other people are the bad guy and zombies are an inherent threat.Zombies can be managed to some extent in limited numbers and used to your advantage.Man is the real threat.

Which is why I suggested a herd of 30 million zombies marching down on them from the north

You can't manage that

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Which is why I suggested a herd of 30 million zombies marching down on them from the north

You can't manage that
Unless you create an army of bulldozers and tanks ,yeah.. you and i should start writing.
Another thing, why does no one have a pack of dogs?
A pack of 30 or so dogs trained to do whatever is a game changer plus they can fend for themselves on some level.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Unless you create an army of bulldozers and tanks ,yeah.. you and i should start writing.
Another thing, why does no one have a pack of dogs?
A pack of 30 or so dogs trained to do whatever is a game changer plus they can fend for themselves on some level.

Tanks and bulldozers would be useless

Gas would've gone bad

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
At first when people made mistakes it could be viewed as rookie mistakes.Now everyone is a seasoned vet at living in the new world.It's dog eat dog.When the saviors were trapped in the building why not torch it,they are at war.
Why have they never found a crop duster to load with gas and torch mobs of walkers or anyone else they don't like? What ever happened to the chopper Rick had seen? The show was better when they were trying to survive rather than stay in an area with the saviors and going to war and ****ing it up at every turn.
Ricks group is good at surviving and suck at everything else.

Exactly. They argue about saving one of the saviors, when they should just put them down. It always comes back to hurt them when they keep them alive. They don't act like it's them or us. Everyone also just does what they want. They should be working together to always be as strong as possible instead of doing their own thing.

They also never have anything that feels like a real "win". Every time something comes up, you know it's going to go bad at some point. I keep thinking "how are they going to screw this up".

Basic defenses where never set up. All those trees around them. Cut down a few layers of trees surrounding Alexandria and leave them there to slow anything coming towards you and allows you to see them coming sooner.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
There's just simply no way for it to be interesting at this point. There's no way to make the zombies feel like a legitimate threat again. They have to keep meeting new dangerous groups of people, and then lose/retake control. Rinse repeat.

I've made a similar point numerous times. You can only hash, re-hash and re-re-rehash the same narrative and plot devices so many times before they begin to get stale.

possibility of safety/stability --> encounter antagonistic threat --> become threatened by antagonistic threat --> engage antagonistic threat --> become forced to move on

before progressing and repeating the cycle ad nausea is only viable the first time or two, especially when the show follows such a cliched and by-the-books formula and doesn't have the writing chops to elevate what otherwise becomes very drab and unemotional material.

The Walking Dead's problem is its source material and its plot devices carry no emotional weight and no realistic stakes. It is hard to become invested in a show or care about a show that has long since cared about giving its viewers an actual reason to care.

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I've decided to dump AMC. Too expensive in Quebec and the show isn't worth it anymore. I'm still interested in watching it for free, though. lol

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So was the odd talking just an act, or did watching her people get slaughtered knock her out of whatever mental state she was in?

Also, Rick really taking Carl's dying message to heart by completely doing the opposite at first opportunity.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Negan feels like Carl’s daddy too.

So was the odd talking just an act, or did watching her people get slaughtered knock her out of whatever mental state she was in?

Also, Rick really taking Carl's dying message to heart by completely doing the opposite at first opportunity.

Just an act. One of the producers awhile ago on Talking Dead said they can and do talk normally but use short sentences to make outsiders uncomfortable.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
So-so episode.

The scavengers were really dumb. Jadis was probably left alive for a reason.

Something's gotta give with Simon. Negan won't be pleased when he finds out what he did. Slaughtering entire groups isn't his style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad