Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not sure it really mattered today.

eh, one good at bat with runners on and one good relief inning against the heart of their order could have made all the difference in the world, even with their ace on the mound.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Serious question for everybody.

Why is it that a loss on opening day of baseball feels way more devastating than any other sport?

Right now, I want management fired, unproductive players released and the suits at Rogers flogged in public.

If the Leafs or Raptors lost their first game I wouldn't give it a second thought. Football is a little different because the season is so short, but - other than the very best and the very worst teams - everybody is pretty much built to go 8-8, so an 0-1 start is hardly a killer.

I've been watching baseball every day since I was in 5th grade and I know today is 1 of 162. I also know, barring some sort of historic horrible start to the season (like last year), I won't have a clear idea of how the season is going to go until into June, or even July.

Yet, I sit here furious thinking: "Something needs to be done."

Is it because baseball is my favourite sport and the Jays are my favourite team? Or is it just one of the silly aspects of being a fan?

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
eh, one good at bat with runners on and one good relief inning against the heart of their order could have made all the difference in the world, even with their ace on the mound.

Umm, the entire game they had two hits (one was a homerun) and three walks.

I know you're thinking of Morales leaving two runners on in the first inning, but the only thing that would have made a difference there is a homerun. And it's not fair to expect that from Pearce, considering the way Severino was pitching all day.

Bottom line: they flat out got their asses kicked today. Nothing would have made the difference other than subbing out Happ for Kershaw or Sale.

Reactions: phillipmike

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Why is it that a loss on opening day of baseball feels way more devastating than any other sport?

Right now, I want management fired, unproductive players released and the suits at Rogers flogged in public.

If the Leafs or Raptors lost their first game I wouldn't give it a second thought. Football is a little different because the season is so short, but - other than the very best and the very worst teams - everybody is pretty much built to go 8-8, so an 0-1 start is hardly a killer.

I've been watching baseball every day since I was in 5th grade and I know today is 1 of 162. I also know, barring some sort of historic horrible start to the season (like last year), I won't have a clear idea of how the season is going to go until into June, or even July.

Is it because baseball is my favourite sport and the Jays are my favourite team? Or is it just one of the silly aspects of being a fan?

Maybe it's just you? Jays are my favorite team and it is only one game. Not at all devastated about the loss. Then again, I don't think the Jays will make the playoffs.

JD's situation does concern me though. I hope he can get healed quickly.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
With Donaldson hurt one can easily see there is a huge difference in the two teams.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I don't see a problem with one bottoming out season. I trust Shapiro and co. to draft well at a high pick. Have Bo and Vlad to come up at some point. Need this team to be younger.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

It’s because your a Toronto sports fan. We not only have unrealistic expectations of our teams, but become extremely frustrated with them beyond reason and common sense

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Just remember, as bad as today’s game might have been, at least they didn’t lose to Ty Blach and the Giants with the worlds best pitcher on the mound for them.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Today’s game exposed the vast divide between the Jays and Yankees - one team is on the upswing set to become a championship franchise again and one is starting to slip into mediocrity again.

There is a saying, in fact it’s the motto of the SAS, “he who dares wins”. The Jays management are the type of people who are not willing to dare, they aren’t willing to sacrifice for this team and they don’t believe in support of the fan base to fund big risky trades and financial decisions.

Whereas a team like the Dodgers go all out - ALL OR NOTHING - and it’s paying off - teams like the Yankees and Dodgers will soon win a World Series if they stick to their strategy.

It’s sad, but at least the Raptors and Leafs have the type of management that have the right vision and have a game plan to win a championship!

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
They are willing to dare, they're just smart enough to realize when the price is wrong. Everybody wants a slice of the Vladdy Bo pie, but they ain't getting it.

Reactions: Mach85

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Today’s game exposed the vast divide between the Jays and Yankees - one team is on the upswing set to become a championship franchise again and one is starting to slip into mediocrity again.

There is a saying, in fact it’s the motto of the SAS, “he who dares wins”. The Jays management are the type of people who are not willing to dare, they aren’t willing to sacrifice for this team and they don’t believe in support of the fan base to fund big risky trades and financial decisions.

Whereas a team like the Dodgers go all out - ALL OR NOTHING - and it’s paying off - teams like the Yankees and Dodgers will soon win a World Series if they stick to their strategy.

It’s sad, but at least the Raptors and Leafs have the type of management that have the right vision and have a game plan to win a championship!

Your solution to fix an old aging roster is to sign more players on the wrong side of the aging curve to ridiculous contracts? that's daringly stupid. What big sexy trade do you want to do that's going to suddenly make this team a contender? Trading away top prospects is another daringly stupid idea.

This organization didn't draft/develop enough positional talent over the past 5-10 years and that's why this team is in a bit of a valley right now. The difference between the Yankees and Jays is that they have two 25 year olds in their primes that combined for 11.3 WAR last year. What prime positional players do the jays have to counter with? nothing but a often injured Devon Travis. Dodgers have a 23 year old and 21 year old that together combined for 10 WAR last year.

Jays management does have a plan and it's actually quite similar to the teams you're comparing them to. What's paying off for the Yankees and Dodgers is having two young studs combine for 10+ WAR....kinda like the jays are planning with Vlady and Bo.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not to read too much into one game, but if things go south early on this season, at least it will give management a clear direction prior to the trade deadline.

Reactions: Gargyn and SAMCRO44

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Jays are still the same team they were yesterday morning and I’m not quite ready to write the off team, just yet. ( although I did joke with my sons that it’s the first time in history the Leafs clinched a playoff spot the same day the Jays were eliminated)

Severino is pretty good as are those two big lugs that bat 2 and 3

New day and with Sanchez going tonight I feel alright.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
e1c30799222cf6b96ef8f635a52b853c.jpg

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

so all we have to do is draft well. Sign a ton of high end international talent and then spend 200 million dollars on payroll and voila. Into the post season

Reactions: Trawna Phan

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I don't see a problem with one bottoming out season. I trust Shapiro and co. to draft well at a high pick. Have Bo and Vlad to come up at some point. Need this team to be younger.

Most Jays fans have no problem with a bottoming out season, but I don't understand why Shapiro needs to keep spewing the "This is a very unique fanbase and we owe it to them to compete" nonsense. I mean, is he that out of touch with reality or is it an order from higher up that he can't rebuild?

I'm with you, need this team to be younger. But Donaldson should have been dealt a while ago while he still had solid value. Instead, he's a diminishing asset who may or may not be hurt. Imagine how terrible it would be if we miss the playoffs and lose Donaldson for nothing.

katatoniak

Feb 5, 2009
Jonquiere, Qc
I'd like to see Hernandez in left instead of the Granderson/Pearce experiment .... he might strikeout a lot but an outfield of Hernandez, Pillar and Grichuk would be great. Replace Pillar with Alford and it would be even better!

Reactions: Gargyn

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The Jays are still the same team they were yesterday morning and I’m not quite ready to write the off team, just yet. ( although I did joke with my sons that it’s the first time in history the Leafs clinched a playoff spot the same day the Jays were eliminated)

Severino is pretty good as are those two big lugs that bat 2 and 3

New day and with Sanchez going tonight I feel alright.

My only quibble with that is yesterday morning I assumed our one elite position player could play his position effectively.

Although Solarte at 3B, Donaldson at DH, Morales nowhere is a better option than the current setup anyways.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not moving Donnie might and likely will cripple this franchise. Might get nothing for him now

I think they’ve decided he’s more valuable to the franchise if he plays this year and at worst they get a 2nd round compensation pick at best the get a few prospects.

I would have dealt him last year, but that ship has sailed.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
My only quibble with that is yesterday morning I assumed our one elite position player could play his position effectively.

Although Solarte at 3B, Donaldson at DH, Morales nowhere is a better option than the current setup anyways.

That certainly is concerning, to say the least.

On Morales, the only way he sees the field is if he buys a ticket.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not moving Donnie might and likely will cripple this franchise. Might get nothing for him now

I couldn't believe that he was cleared to play in the infield with his shoulder hindering him that much. I've never seen anything like that before.

Let's hope he can regain strength in his throwing arm before the trade deadline or I'm afraid you'll be correct.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's tough to watch the Yankees with all their stars having their way with us and our only star has something wrong with him. It's really tough to get in to the season like this. I have 0 faith in Shap and Atkins, I really do. My only faith is in Bo, Vladdy, Sanchez and Stroman. They will probably find a way to let Sanchez and Stroman go because they don't want to pay them. We are owned by a BS company and managed by dunces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad