Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nah, Smith and Warmoth have been splitting SS since warmoth got back.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Kevin Smith has been playing 2b lately.

Could mean they feel confident about Bo and others sticking on the left side long term.

It’s somewhat weird because from what I’ve read Smith is better than Warmoth at SS. Furthermore has had batted better than Warmoth yet Warmoth plays SS

NeverMind if they are splitting the time.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It’s somewhat weird because from what I’ve read Smith is better than Warmoth at SS. Furthermore has had batted better than Warmoth yet Warmoth plays SS

they're not gonna pull the plug on their 1st rounder yet.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017

it's weird because they have listed as a 3b on the roster.

I expected him to move over to 3b at Dunedin so it's interesting that he's been playing 2b when Warmoth is on the field. Nash Knight is a nothing prospect so it's not like he's blocked from getting playing time on the corner.

I'm curious if this has anything to do with setting him up for a promotion to AA when Biggio is moved up to AAA.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Hard to believe that DJ Davis is younger than Alford.

Such a bad pick even at the time but what do I know, I wanted Shaffer and Giolito and nothing to do with Stroman.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hell, they just released their 2012 first rounder, and he's been terrible for years.

Doesn't Dunedin only have 3 OFer's now? Maybe he's bad, but you would think given he is still relatively young that they'd at least be willing to keep him as the 4th OFer.

Obviously they are starting the exodus of underperforming guys to make room for guys in extended spring training.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Doesn't Dunedin only have 3 OFer's now? Maybe he's bad, but you would think given he is still relatively young that they'd at least be willing to keep him as the 4th OFer.

Obviously they are starting the exodus of underperforming guys to make room for guys in extended spring training.

Chavez Young would warrant a promotion.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Take the best offer imo no questions asked especially for an expiring contract. Believe it or not the Yankees and/or the Red Sox will win Championships again sometime in our lifetime. Who cares about helping them, you help yourself first if its the best deal and whatever happens after you let it be.

Doesn't mean I don't drive a hard bargain or try to get more especially more out of division rivals but if one offer is better than the other then I'm taking it whether it's a slightly better offer or a much better offer. BOA (Best Offer Available) all day!!!

They Yankees are poised to be in the playoffs for the next 10 years. Boston will probably be right there with them with TB will battle a couple of those years and upset one of them.

The Jays hope they can time their good year in the right window. Until they can sign FA, it’s just the way it’ll be.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Less to do with Warmoth, and far more to do with Bichette, methinks.

Also shouldn't be surprising in general. Smith was playing just as much 3B as he was SS at Lansing, and that was in favour of Kevin Vicuna (who is...Urena-like defensively).

I'm curious if this has anything to do with setting him up for a promotion to AA when Biggio is moved up to AAA.

Yes. Also, being able to play three infield positions is valuable. He's proven to be 50+ grade at both 3B and SS.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Hell, they just released their 2012 first rounder, and he's been terrible for years.

usa_today_10154393.0.jpg

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
They Yankees are poised to be in the playoffs for the next 10 years. Boston will probably be right there with them with TB will battle a couple of those years and upset one of them.

The Jays hope they can time their good year in the right window. Until they can sign FA, it’s just the way it’ll be.

I wouldnt go that far.

I think the Yankees will be good for 3-5 years for sure but baseball in this day and age goes as far as your scouting, development and prospects are willing to take you. Yankees got a good farm for now but we will see what a few years of trades might do to that. You wont see 10 year playoff streaks anymore, heck it barely has happened in baseball - Yankees and the Braves did it for 13 and 14 years respectively - next team was 5 years. So a streak of 10+ straight playoff appearances has only happened twice in the history of modern baseball.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Red Sox missed the playoffs in 2019 or 2020. Kimbrel, Pomeranz and Kelly are free agents this off-season and Boston has 133M committed in 2019 and with options and estimates they will be at 211M. They have said they do not want to go in the luxury and the have one of the worst farms if they try to fill those holes via trade the only thing they have going for themselves is the weak FA market where they can fill holes cheaply but not as good as the player they had. The year after Sale, Porcello and Xander are set to be free agents. They already owe 30M to players not on their roster in 2019 and they are a Price and/or Pedrioa injury from being in a much worse position.

If the Rays relocate and/or get more money from their owners then i can see them being an issue. But until then i dont take them getting a playoff spot for granted yet anytime soon considering their 3 best/closest arms to the majors all underwent Tommy John Surgery this season.

I see the O's at rock bottom and the Red Sox heading for a sharp decline. Indians will decline too but with their drafting, player development and weak division i think they can bounce back pretty quickly. Twins will be good shortly - Tigers and the Sox have the pieces but its a matter if it comes together quickly or not. Royals have a few years of rebuilding but it will be easy if they keep having drafts like they a few weeks ago. Angels are in disarray with Trout hitting FA soon and Ohtani's injury. M's have very little long term future so they have to squeeze what they can out of this season. Rangers are rebuilding and i like the A's very much but do their payroll restrictions and stadium issue continue to hurt them?

For me i only see the Yankees and Astros as pretty close to locks for playoff spots from 2019 to 2021. I would put the A's, Twins and Indians in a tier behind them with their young players coming up and little commitments. My next group might be the Jays, Rays and Tigers/White Sox depending if they show life. What the Jays have over the A's, Twins, Indians, and Rays is money. Tigers normally sepnd but they have been burned recently by some big contracts and without Ilitch calling the shots i doubt they go free spending again. I like the Jays chances from 2020 and on.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Less to do with Warmoth, and far more to do with Bichette, methinks.

Also shouldn't be surprising in general. Smith was playing just as much 3B as he was SS at Lansing, and that was in favour of Kevin Vicuna (who is...Urena-like defensively).

Yes. Also, being able to play three infield positions is valuable. He's proven to be 50+ grade at both 3B and SS.

pretty sure Vicuna projects as legit plus at SS, no?

are you thinking of Gudino?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
pretty sure Vicuna projects as legit plus at SS, no?

are you thinking of Gudino?

Projects, perhaps. So did Urena, IIRC. Here's the org's SS (MIF) prospects ranked by FRR through yesterday:

1. K. Smith: 4.9
2. Warmoth: 3.0
3. Bichette: 2.3
4. Urena: -0.7
5. Gurriel Jr.: -2.0
6. Vicuna: -3.5

Credit to Bichette (61/63) and Warmoth (35/35) for being the only two who have played essentially all of their games at SS.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I wouldnt go that far.

I think the Yankees will be good for 3-5 years for sure but baseball in this day and age goes as far as your scouting, development and prospects are willing to take you. Yankees got a good farm for now but we will see what a few years of trades might do to that. You wont see 10 year playoff streaks anymore, heck it barely has happened in baseball - Yankees and the Braves did it for 13 and 14 years respectively - next team was 5 years. So a streak of 10+ straight playoff appearances has only happened twice in the history of modern baseball.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Red Sox missed the playoffs in 2019 or 2020. Kimbrel, Pomeranz and Kelly are free agents this off-season and Boston has 133M committed in 2019 and with options and estimates they will be at 211M. They have said they do not want to go in the luxury and the have one of the worst farms if they try to fill those holes via trade the only thing they have going for themselves is the weak FA market where they can fill holes cheaply but not as good as the player they had. The year after Sale, Porcello and Xander are set to be free agents. They already owe 30M to players not on their roster in 2019 and they are a Price and/or Pedrioa injury from being in a much worse position.

If the Rays relocate and/or get more money from their owners then i can see them being an issue. But until then i dont take them getting a playoff spot for granted yet anytime soon considering their 3 best/closest arms to the majors all underwent Tommy John Surgery this season.

I see the O's at rock bottom and the Red Sox heading for a sharp decline. Indians will decline too but with their drafting, player development and weak division i think they can bounce back pretty quickly. Twins will be good shortly - Tigers and the Sox have the pieces but its a matter if it comes together quickly or not. Royals have a few years of rebuilding but it will be easy if they keep having drafts like they a few weeks ago. Angels are in disarray with Trout hitting FA soon and Ohtani's injury. M's have very little long term future so they have to squeeze what they can out of this season. Rangers are rebuilding and i like the A's very much but do their payroll restrictions and stadium issue continue to hurt them?

For me i only see the Yankees and Astros as pretty close to locks for playoff spots from 2019 to 2021. I would put the A's, Twins and Indians in a tier behind them with their young players coming up and little commitments. My next group might be the Jays, Rays and Tigers/White Sox depending if they show life. What the Jays have over the A's, Twins, Indians, and Rays is money. Tigers normally sepnd but they have been burned recently by some big contracts and without Ilitch calling the shots i doubt they go free spending again. I like the Jays chances from 2020 and on.

So 2023 is the Jays’ window to win the division?

ETA : there is talk of realignment as well as adding the DH to the NL. Maybe they’ll get moved to a central division away from those east coast teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad