Dec 22, 2006
Quinn Hughes actually smiling:

20230812_092517.jpg

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I felt Tambellini was more effective in every game he played than Oreskovich was. He had so many NHL level tools (speed and a hell of a shot) but just lacked the consistency to put it all together.

oreskovich will always be one of my least favourite canucks ever

standing there doing nothing after marchand cheap shots ehrhoff then daniel in quick succession, leaving ballard to fight him and poor ehrhoff to get manhandled by mcquaid

it’s like, do you even want to be in the nhl?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
oreskovich will always be one of my least favourite canucks ever

standing there doing nothing after marchand cheap shots ehrhoff then daniel in quick succession, leaving ballard to fight him and poor ehrhoff to get manhandled by mcquaid

it’s like, do you even want to be in the nhl?

I think he answered that last question pretty emphatically with his two retirements from the NHL (which is 1 more retirement than 99.99% of others :laugh: )

I was always puzzled as to why Gillis targeted him for acquisition.

I have a friend who's a pretty casual fan - knows the big names, not many small names. But if you mention Oreskovich he lights up with a white hot fury over how ineffective he was in the 2011 playoffs. :laugh:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I think he answered that last question pretty emphatically with his two retirements from the NHL (which is 1 more retirement than 99.99% of others :laugh: )

I was always puzzled as to why Gillis targeted him for acquisition.

I have a friend who's a pretty casual fan - knows the big names, not many small names. But if you mention Oreskovich he lights up with a white hot fury over how ineffective he was in the 2011 playoffs. :laugh:

had to make this gif

IMG_2533.gif

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Gillis era was a period when most of the things that happened made sense and were supported by analytics but Oreskovich was just ... a strange outlier.

Guy was a generic bottom-6 AHLer who scored 4 goals in 40 games in Manitoba that year. Wasn't really that physical. Couldn't fight. Literally brought nothing to the table. But somehow ended up as a regular on one of the most dominant teams in NHL history, despite the fact that there were several better options available (ie. Desbiens, Bolduc). It was odd and it has never made sense.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
One of the greatest games I saw live was December 20, 1990 when the Oilers visited the Pacific Coliseum. In their pervious meeting, Dave Brown and Steve Smith had taken runs at Trevor Linden and Canuck fans were wanting revenge. Vancouver appeared comfortably up 3-1 and 4-3 until Messier tied it at 4 early in the third period. Then Brown and Beukeboom took runs at Linden when it was 5-4 for the Canucks and received minors and misconducts. At one point some fans got into a big exchange with the Oilers at the bench. Linden scored on the power play and then Doug Lidster added goal 7 into an empty net. Right after the Lidster goal Coach Bob McCammon had Gino Odjick line up against Kelly Buchberger and they went at in a brief scrap with Gino getting the edge.
Linden scored 3 times and added 3 assists for a career high 6 point night. Great game, but little footage of it out there.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
The Gillis era was a period when most of the things that happened made sense and were supported by analytics but Oreskovich was just ... a strange outlier.

Guy was a generic bottom-6 AHLer who scored 4 goals in 40 games in Manitoba that year. Wasn't really that physical. Couldn't fight. Literally brought nothing to the table. But somehow ended up as a regular on one of the most dominant teams in NHL history, despite the fact that there were several better options available (ie. Desbiens, Bolduc). It was odd and it has never made sense.

Nothing about Oreskovich's career made sense tbh.

The Avalanche threw him a 2 year entry level deal. Doesn't report to their AHL camp in year 2, gets suspended. Takes 2 years off to finish his degree. Asks his old coach Peter Deboer for a chance, gets a try-out with Florida and plays his way onto a contract. Signs here, does exactly what you said above, gets called out by Vignault the next year and then proceeds to never play another professional game.

I don't know if we had some connection with that Kitchener Rangers team but Oreskovich, Mike Duco and Yannick Weber were all on a team.

Reactions: MS

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

AV must seen something in him. Just because Gillis acquired him, doesn't mean Oreo would've seen the ice Heck knows what he saw though.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I know a little bit about Oreskovich's time here in Vancouver, and his issue was that he didn't want to play the game the way he would need to play the game to keep him in the NHL. He didn't want to be that type of player... which I have no issue with, it also just means you won't be an NHL player.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
AV must seen something in him. Just because Gillis acquired him, doesn't mean Oreo would've seen the ice Heck knows what he saw though.

Big, strong, clogged up lanes, and didn't take a lot of penalties. AV barely played the 4th line so all he was looking for was someone that wouldn't bleed possession for 30 seconds 4 times a period. Tanner Glass played 20 playoff games and brought the same thing.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Big, strong, clogged up lanes, and didn't take a lot of penalties. AV barely played the 4th line so all he was looking for was someone that wouldn't bleed possession for 30 seconds 4 times a period. Tanner Glass played 20 playoff games and brought the same thing.

Glass' details were fine, he just wasn't a gifted player. Oreo, kind of the opposite. I believe he said coming in he wanted 20 goals and 20 fights, definitely a bit lofty of a goal, but he brought solid physicality. Like when he got a hit, it was gonna leave a mark on the other guy. Very least, you can't say he didn't try.

Man I was watching the 89 series the other day, if I was a Canucks fan and alive back then, I can't say I would've liked Hakan Loob. f***, his hair underneath that giant visor just bugs me.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

power forward was kind of gillis’ white whale, wasn’t it?

like goalies for burke or centers for quinn

bernier, oreo, kass, booth, niklas jensen, byron bitz, matthias… he was always looking for that skilled big man but the most successful one was probably raffi torres

Reactions: vancityluongo

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

bernier, oreo, kass, booth, niklas jensen, byron bitz, matthias… he was always looking for that skilled big man but the most successful one was probably raffi torres
Before he went all weird (Torts heh-heh), he actually was SORT of servicable. Then some Avs player took out his knee ala Bryan Marchment style. Never the same (imho) afterwards.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

truly

funniest/saddest part is he had it right with david backes lol

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Before he went all weird (Torts heh-heh), he actually was SORT of servicable. Then some Avs player took out his knee ala Bryan Marchment style. Never the same (imho) afterwards.
He was better than that, he was doing pretty well – and folks here were pretty happy with the acquisition. He had 12 points in 18 games and was finding chemistry on the AmEx line.

I don't think there was any malice in the knee from Kevin Porter that took him out, more recklessness, but boy was it a tough break for his career.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad