The Vancouver Canucks: Great Moments in Time

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
So close where Nathan Lafayette was a post away from winning it.
*From tying it. (And Martin Gélinas arguably had a better chance not long before).

Re: Cloutier, one interesting takeaway from Scott Rintoul's West Coast Express podcast series is that Brian Burke disputes the idea that Cloutier's play took a nosedive "in the playoffs" as such, but rather that he had too much trouble staying healthy, so that his play would decline toward the end of the season.

It amounts to more or less the same thing (he needed to be upgraded), but I do wonder how much of it was health related.

Eye-test wise, I hated his playing style. Even when he was doing well I never felt any real confidence with him in goal... he played much smaller than he was.

Reactions: Vector

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I think he always was a normal goalie, in the regular season. He would have ups and downs, and be an average goalie for the time.

In the playoffs though, it just felt like there was those first two games against the wings... then every other season. He got the yips.

i think even in the regular season he was usually a below average starter in the league

but agree about the playoffs. in 2003, he had the yips for sure

Reactions: The Stig

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
i think even in the regular season he was usually a below average starter in the league

but agree about the playoffs. in 2003, he had the yips for sure

Game 5 against the Wild was one of the worst games Cloutier played that year, also Ed Jovanovski was god awful that game. I believe he was on the ice for 6 of the 7 Minnesota goals… yikes

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Re: Cloutier, one interesting takeaway from Scott Rintoul's West Coast Express podcast series is that Brian Burke disputes the idea that Cloutier's play took a nosedive "in the playoffs" as such, but rather that he had too much trouble staying healthy, so that his play would decline toward the end of the season.

It amounts to more or less the same thing (he needed to be upgraded), but I do wonder how much of it was health related.

i always thought that too. he was good for at least one second half injury a year.

in 2002, he hurt his ankle in january and missed five weeks. it was left to the great peter skudra to o 6-2-1, 1.90 GAA, .927 SV% — over that stretch, 3rd in wins, and top ten in both GAA and SV%. iirc, that skudra stretch got the canucks on the roll going into the olympic break that pulled them into the number eight seed (up to cloutier getting hurt, they were 21-25-4, when he came back they were 28-27-5).

in 2003, it was the opposite. the canucks were killing it: 38-16-9 record and a single point out of first place when cloutier sprained his knee. and cloutier was playing maybe the best hockey of his life too—he got hurt coming off a shutout and was 7-0-1, 1.69, .940 in the three weeks leading up to the injury. but this time skudra crapped the bed, going 2-2-3, 3.51, .880 (alex auld was called up and looked good, going 1-2 but with excellent numbers: 1.48 and .941). all in all, the canucks were still in third place when clouts came back, and their lead over colorado for the division had only shrunk a little, but the slide didn't stop once cloutier came back and we all know what happened on the last day of the 2003 season.

but 2003 is where i get what burke is saying about health. when cloutier came back, he wasn't the same. he went 2-3-1, 2.65, .899 (auld continued his stellar play and most of us wanted him to start in the playoffs: 2-1, 1.68, .938; skudra was never heard from again). definitely could have been the case of a brittle goalie breaking down. when you don't trust your body, how can you play goal in the playoffs?

in 2004, cloutier got hurt multiple times. he hurt his groin in december 2003, then his hip in march, and then famously sprained his ankle in game three of the playoffs. and he was never healthy in his career after that.

I swear, if we didn't have the most SOFTY PRONE GOALIE in history, we would have won the cup. I hated Cloutier to the point of madness.

i know a lot of people here have a lot of love for the WCE team and i am here for that. i've been very negative in the past about a lot of those guys: naslund, bertuzzi, crawford, cloutier of course, but i know what that group meant to people and i want to respect that.

naslund was legitimately a fantastic player when he was on. on pure talent, i think it's a tossup between him, bure, and pettersson as the second most talented forward we've ever had, after mogilny. bertuzzi when he was on was flat out unstoppable. only bertuzzi could stop bertuzzi.

but i just can't see that team winning a cup, even if you swapped in khabibulin or kiprusoff or some other elite goalie for clouts. for one, they had extremely flawed coaching. they were playing run and gun hockey in the era that was probably the hardest ever to win playing that style. but ultimately, whatever we want to say about the ability of the top guys to take over a playoff game or a series when it mattered, that was a one line team. after the WCE, you had the baby sedins, there was cooke, old linden, trent klatt, chubie was great for what he was but... that's not a real cup threat. this is an era when colorado was running sakic and forsberg, detroit had yzerman, fedorov, draper, and young datsyuk down the middle, with a hall of fame winger on each line. the teams they would have had to beat in 2003 had peak unstoppable giguere, then peak brodeur behind a D of peak niedermayer, scott stevens, rafalski, and colin white. i just don't see how that one line team could have won.

that said, playoff clouts was very very very bad. zero argument there.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
i always thought that too. he was good for at least one second half injury a year.

in 2002, he hurt his ankle in january and missed five weeks. it was left to the great peter skudra to o 6-2-1, 1.90 GAA, .927 SV% — over that stretch, 3rd in wins, and top ten in both GAA and SV%. iirc, that skudra stretch got the canucks on the roll going into the olympic break that pulled them into the number eight seed (up to cloutier getting hurt, they were 21-25-4, when he came back they were 28-27-5).

in 2003, it was the opposite. the canucks were killing it: 38-16-9 record and a single point out of first place when cloutier sprained his knee. and cloutier was playing maybe the best hockey of his life too—he got hurt coming off a shutout and was 7-0-1, 1.69, .940 in the three weeks leading up to the injury. but this time skudra crapped the bed, going 2-2-3, 3.51, .880 (alex auld was called up and looked good, going 1-2 but with excellent numbers: 1.48 and .941). all in all, the canucks were still in third place when clouts came back, and their lead over colorado for the division had only shrunk a little, but the slide didn't stop once cloutier came back and we all know what happened on the last day of the 2003 season.

but 2003 is where i get what burke is saying about health. when cloutier came back, he wasn't the same. he went 2-3-1, 2.65, .899 (auld continued his stellar play and most of us wanted him to start in the playoffs: 2-1, 1.68, .938; skudra was never heard from again). definitely could have been the case of a brittle goalie breaking down. when you don't trust your body, how can you play goal in the playoffs?

in 2004, cloutier got hurt multiple times. he hurt his groin in december 2003, then his hip in march, and then famously sprained his ankle in game three of the playoffs. and he was never healthy in his career after that.

i know a lot of people here have a lot of love for the WCE team and i am here for that. i've been very negative in the past about a lot of those guys: naslund, bertuzzi, crawford, cloutier of course, but i know what that group meant to people and i want to respect that.

naslund was legitimately a fantastic player when he was on. on pure talent, i think it's a tossup between him, bure, and pettersson as the second most talented forward we've ever had, after mogilny. bertuzzi when he was on was flat out unstoppable. only bertuzzi could stop bertuzzi.

but i just can't see that team winning a cup, even if you swapped in khabibulin or kiprusoff or some other elite goalie for clouts. for one, they had extremely flawed coaching. they were playing run and gun hockey in the era that was probably the hardest ever to win playing that style. but ultimately, whatever we want to say about the ability of the top guys to take over a playoff game or a series when it mattered, that was a one line team. after the WCE, you had the baby sedins, there was cooke, old linden, trent klatt, chubie was great for what he was but... that's not a real cup threat. this is an era when colorado was running sakic and forsberg, detroit had yzerman, fedorov, draper, and young datsyuk down the middle, with a hall of fame winger on each line. the teams they would have had to beat in 2003 had peak unstoppable giguere, then peak brodeur behind a D of peak niedermayer, scott stevens, rafalski, and colin white. i just don't see how that one line team could have won.

that said, playoff clouts was very very very bad. zero argument there.

We had a pretty good d core back then. Ohlund, Jovo, Salo, Malik, Allen and Sopel, with Slegr as the 7th. 2 guys in the 100 point range, 4 guys with 20 goals (Linden had 19 but missed 10 games so I count it)...
and a f***ing goalie with a .908 save%.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
*From tying it. (And Martin Gélinas arguably had a better chance not long before).

Eye-test wise, I hated his playing style. Even when he was doing well I never felt any real confidence with him in goal... he played much smaller than he was.

I hated everything about how he played, too.

Like I said somewhere above, to me he was a backup-level goaltender who was never more than a backup-level goaltender but who managed to hang onto a role he never should have had because he managed to get the right backers (Burke and Crawford) who were bad at evaluating goalies and loved his truculence and what a great team guy he was.

He sucked based on both the eye test and the numbers test, unless you dumbed it down to '3 straight 30-win seasons!'.

Reactions: The Stig and Vector

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Like I said somewhere above, to me he was a backup-level goaltender who was never more than a backup-level goaltender but who managed to hang onto a role he never should have had because he managed to get the right backers (Burke and Crawford) who were bad at evaluating goalies and loved his truculence and what a great team guy he was.

but you know what, i would have loved the hell out of him as a backup

play him 20-25 games a year, he capably mops up, gets in a few crazy ass fights, and as a backup i bet the guys would play like hell for him instead of clenching their buttholes when they see the other team on the rush.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I hated everything about how he played, too.

He sucked based on both the eye test and the numbers test, unless you dumbed it down to '3 straight 30-win seasons!'.

I just remember the sinking feeling that you knew he was going to give up a bad goal in an important game.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
That's exactly how I felt about Luongo. After the 2007 Anaheim series where Luongo and Turco were both brilliant, Luongo was a car crash waiting to happen during big games.

2009 against Chicago in game 6 - gave up a Patrick Kane hat trick thus ushering the 7uongo era.
2010 against Chicago in games 2, 3, 4 and 6 - gave up goals when Byfugillen shoves his big ass in Luongo's face.
2011 against Boston games 3, 4, 6 and 7 - need we say more?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
2009 against Chicago in game 6 - gave up a Patrick Kane hat trick thus ushering the 7uongo era.
2010 against Chicago in games 2, 3, 4 and 6 - gave up goals when Byfugillen shoves his big ass in Luongo's face.
If only Kirk McLean were 15 years younger.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He did have two shutouts in a 7 game series against the Bruins in 2011. Granted, he sh*t the bed in a bunch of games but still if he could've gotten another shutout; I don't think the Conn Smyth trophy would've been out of the question for him. A thin line between being a hero or a goat (again, granted he was paid the big bucks to perform on the big stage).

Reactions: racerjoe

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He did have two shutouts in a 7 game series against the Bruins in 2011. Granted, he sh*t the bed in a bunch of games but still if he could've gotten another shutout; I don't think the Conn Smyth trophy would've been out of the question for him. A thin line between being a hero or a goat (again, granted he was paid the big bucks to perform on the big stage).

The biggest mistake was letting him start game 6, Schneider should’ve started as he would've controlled the noise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad