GDT: The Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Do you remember the franchise before the salary cap? The aimless, random out of control freakshow that was the Rangers post 94 followed by the PO drought of a true cellar dweller organization? Those were desperate times, so bad that I let my HF membership lapse to the point that I couldn't even remember my login details. And then in 2005, the beginnings of a decade plus of great hockey and some amazing post seasons, full of highs and heartbreaking lows. In 2006 I had to make a new account because I was finally excited again.

We've had 11 great years and now when I was thoroughly bored of being mired in the middle and couldn't be motivated to post at all anymore, a really interesting change of direction by Gorton and co. I'm pleased as f***ing punch and more excited than I've been in a number of years.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm fully expecting a Zuccarello trade at the draft. More futures oriented deal than anything else. I love the the little guy, but he's a perfect pick up for a team that disappointed in the playoffs. Rangers need to start thinking about hockey deals as well.

The last 4-5 times Gorts was in the Press. He stressed CHARACTER.

I felt that there has been a lack of accountability for the last 3 years. They moved towards the speed skater of the heart and soul type of player after 2015, and I think a lot of that is to give AV players that fit his system. But you ended up with a soft team that had a bunch of guys that don't show up every game. I think that's the bigger issue with the club now.

IMO Staal is a guy that should be more amenable to a trade. Find the right dance partner for him. Rangers will only have the Belesky retained contract, so there will be two more. Zucc can get an extra 2nd if he's retained, but I would clear that.

Hayes- I believe there is a hockey deal to be made. Vesey too. I like the spurts Jimmy's shown, but that everyday consistency. That effort. In two years, my memory isn't selective about a few impressive shifts.

Hayes & Vesey & Nieves

to CAR

Lindholm, Kruger & Zykov

Lindholm had a bad year this year, but otherwise he's a solid two way guy. Hayes might be better down in Carolina with players with speed on both his wings. We've all seen what Kevin can do with the right linemates. IMO a center needs to make his wingers better, and for Kevin it's the other way around. When his wingers aren't bringing it... Kevin is limited.

Lindholm... I think what you see is what you get in terms of what CAR has with him, but a change of scenery might help. Brought in too early and he's peaked at 19.

Kruger is a question mark. Their new owner has deep pockets, but the Rangers can afford to take on a year and bury $2M in the minors. Nieves is a body for them, and an upgrade on Kruger for a much cheaper hit. But this may be negligible. I know CAR is gearing up to try and get some scoring wingers.

Zykov may be a flight risk for CAR. He's a scorer... but doesn't play a two way game. He could go to the KHL and have the success and money Grigorenko is having and not be relegated to the minors for two more years. He had three down years in a row post draft before showing some life.

I saw the checkers play live a couple of times this year. I liked Wallmark the most, but Zykov impressed me.

CAR would be getting more value, Rangers eating a contract, but getting a former 5th overall pick that is producing a shade below Hayes.

Money in and Money would would be about even. But the Rangers get two young RH forwards.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Just listened to WFAN with Boomer and he had Gorton on this morning. I don't have the exact quotes - but Gorton is implying AV will be the coach for the extent of his contract.

Enjoy.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Just listened to WFAN with Boomer and he had Gorton on this morning. I don't have the exact quotes - but Gorton is implying AV will be the coach for the extent of his contract.

Enjoy.

I disagree. I thought he was respectful of AV, but nothing he said left me feeling AV would remain the coach. He didn’t throw AV under the bus. He said they would sit down at the end of the year and determine whether there’s a fit going forward...typical GMspeak.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Now that im done with my snap judgement - Im hoping that Namestikov is traded at the draft
Speaking of such......how much you wanna bet that McD, will be flipped come either off season or next deadline? Gonna be interesting on what SY gets in comparison to what he gave up.
Then again, maybe they re-sign him? Gonna cost em'!

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Enjoy.
He did not imply that at all...like at all.

He said he respects him. He didnt commit to anything. He wouldnt commit to anything. In fact he sounded like someone who says all the right things about someone they are going to let go. He said they would sit down and re-evaluate the state of the team and staff after the season

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
I think the Rangers got back good value this deadline. The only thing that is keeping me wanting more is that we didn't bring back any surefire top center prospects. I think having a top C is the most important part of building a team. Is Chytil or Howden that guy? I don't know. Maybe they'll pick one up in the draft.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think they should keep Spooner, Nam, and Zucc at least until next year’s deadline. I think they have added a lot of quality depth. They have loaded up on enough draft picks and assets that they dont have strip this organization down to the bones and not compete at all. Here is what I would like to see next year:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Kovalchuk-Hayes-Nash
Spooner-Nam-Zucc
Vesey-Andersson-Fast
Nieves

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-ADA
Smith-Pionk

Henrik
Georgiev

Yes I want Smith on this team. He needs to rebound. That team under a new coach and scheme can compete. No reason they shouldn’t.

Then beyond that over the course of the year and into next they have:

Howden, Chytil, Ronning, Hajek, Rykov, Day, Virta, Barron, Shesty, etc., PLUS whomever they draft which still remains to be seen. I think they are in a lot better shape. They are stockpiling bodies who have some talent.

Reactions: Rangers2319

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
I think they should keep Spooner, Nam, and Zucc at least until next year’s deadline. I think they have added a lot of quality depth. They have loaded up on enough draft picks and assets that they dont have strip this organization down to the bones and not compete at all. Here is what I would like to see next year:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Kovalchuk-Hayes-Nash
Spooner-Nam-Zucc
Vesey-Andersson-Fast
Nieves

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-ADA
Smith-Pionk

Henrik
Georgiev

Yes I want Smith on this team. He needs to rebound. That team under a new coach and scheme can compete. No reason they shouldn’t.

Then beyond that over the course of the year and into next they have:

Howden, Chytil, Ronning, Hajek, Rykov, Day, Virta, Barron, Shesty, etc., PLUS whomever they draft which still remains to be seen. I think they are in a lot better shape. They are stockpiling bodies who have some talent.

This could really work and i love it a lot. If the D plays better thats a playoff team right there. Youre not mortgaging the future you bring some ufa that can easily be dealt off and youre not trapping yourself to long term deals of veteran players. Based on what gorton said that they are trying to turn it around quicker than expected this makes a lot of sense here

bring in some vets help the kids and add small pieces along the way, imo those top 3 lines are really really nice and a good 4th line something we havent had since 2014

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
I don't know why we would sign both Nash and Kovalchuk on a rebuilding team.

people need to understand that you can rebuild and sign vets, we arent gonig to be a bottom feeder and we arnet going to ice a bunch of 20 year olds

nash and kovy can easily be dealt and wouldnt strap the organization

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
people need to understand that you can rebuild and sign vets, we arent gonig to be a bottom feeder and we arnet going to ice a bunch of 20 year olds

nash and kovy can easily be dealt and wouldnt strap the organization

Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk, Hank, Kreider, Zibby, Zucc, Vlad, Spooner, Hayes, Fast. All vets.

Buch, Skjei, Vesey, ADA, Pionk. All have NHL experience. Pionk admittedly has the least amount of that group.

Don't be dishonest and say I'm suggesting to ice a team of teenagers. I just don't see why we're signing two semi-expensive multi-year contracts to a 34 and a 35 year old when we're going to have a bunch of young guys coming through the system in the coming years and we won't be competing next year.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Who else is hyped for Captain Zuccarello?! (Hah)
Not I. Still pushing for Kreider. Since returning, he has a new appreciation for the sport he loves. I've seen a steady beast Kreids and giving him the "C" (as he will def be here) will probably make him "stay" in that beast mode with the responsibility of captaincy. Giving it to Zuccha (don't really have a problem with it, as my avatar proves) it's just that I'm wondering if he indeed will be traded, so why bother? Let him keep the "A" and be done with it.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'm pretty sure Dolan okayed the salary dumps with the intent to sign big UFA's with the freed cap space.

Now I think Zuccarello stays until the next deadline, because Gorton will attempt to make additions that make them a playoff team. They will also target a very good backup.

Healthy Shattenkirk, healthy Kreider, Zucc playing for a contract, Henrik at a 50-55 game workload and a few additions on the blueline. I think Gorton sees a playoff roster and the playoff take is a big part of Dolan's strategy.

But I'm not seeing all this cap space when you consider the RFA's and the Girardi/Beleskey garbage.

Hate to say it but if the Rangers get a Top-3 pick, they may have to consider trading it down as long as the other team takes Staal.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk, Hank, Kreider, Zibby, Zucc, Vlad, Spooner, Hayes, Fast. All vets.

Buch, Skjei, Vesey, ADA, Pionk. All have NHL experience. Pionk admittedly has the least amount of that group.

Don't be dishonest and say I'm suggesting ice a team of teenagers. I just don't see why we're signing two semi-expensive multi-year contracts to a 34 and a 35 year old when we're going to have a bunch of young guys coming through the system in the coming years and we won't be competing next year.
Who says we won't be competing next year? Oh, do you mean for the cup? Okay, realistically no.....but to add a few "vets" that are good players for short term isn't a bad thing. Would love Nasher or Grabs back here.
They did a good job collecting what we got for them.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I'm pretty sure Dolan okayed the salary dumps with the intent to sign big UFA's with the freed cap space.

Now I think Zuccarello stays until the next deadline, because Gorton will attempt to make additions that make them a playoff team. They will also target a very good backup.

Healthy Shattenkirk, healthy Kreider, Zucc playing for a contract, Henrik at a 50-55 game workload and a few additions on the blueline. I think Gorton sees a playoff roster and the playoff take is a big part of Dolan's strategy.

But I'm not seeing all this cap space when you consider the RFA's and the Girardi/Beleskey garbage.

Hate to say it but if the Rangers get a Top-3 pick, they may have to consider trading it down as long as the other team takes Staal.

I couldn't disagree more.

There is no chance I trade down from top-3, unless this team REALLY likes Boqvist (as I do) and in that case I only trade down to 4. I'd also be very surprised to see Zuccarello on this team at the start of next year.

There are no real big UFAs this offseason minus Tavares. You are dreaming if you think Tavares will come to NY to a rebuilding team. Would also be a huge slap in the face to the Isles. I don't think he'd do that.

You want to spend big money on JVR?

I highly doubt we would've considered adding Spooner at the cost of Beleskey's contract if we planned on needing cap space going forward.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't know why we would sign both Nash and Kovalchuk on a rebuilding team.
Because the Rangers should compete. It sustains a culture of winning that they have had for over a decade now. Those young kids are not ready so they are not blocking anyone. They have plenty of cap space and they would not be breaking the bank on Kovalchuk and Nash. No reason to not pursue this route. Literally none. They should try and push to have Kovalchuk continually sign 1-2 year deals.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
If we got Foote back instead of Howden or Hajek I would give this an A+ deadline. But since we ended up with no true top end prospects or picks better than the ~25 spot I give it an A-.

I do think we should be super excited that we made these moves now and got great value for Nash, Grabner, and Holden. How many teams who have kicked off rebuilds started off with this many good young nhl players AND have all these solid prospects and picks?

Assuming the Rangers don't win the lottery, I expect them to push hard to use all of these assets to upgrade some of the quantity to quality.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Now Zib and Hayes along with spooner and Namestnikov become trade bait at draft.
I think the return correlates to Mac trucks decline. He has been OK the last couple years. He regressed after cup run and the C ruined him.
I think Zib definitely, but Hayes is a keeper. Great in PK, and does many good things, much better defensively. He's big and plays a good center, even better at FO's.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Who says we won't be competing next year? Oh, do you mean for the cup? Okay, realistically no.....but to add a few "vets" that are good players for short term isn't a bad thing. Would love Nasher or Grabs back here.
They did a good job collecting what we got for them.

Do you feel comfortable giving Nash/Grabner 4 year deals? That is what it is going to take in all likelihood. Maybe 3 years if we're lucky on Nash.

Where do Chytil/Howden slot in year 2 of those deals if they impress?

I think the Rangers acquired Spooner/Namestnikov to add some veteran scoring until the young guys are ready to take over. They are younger, more cost controlled, and can be traded for assets when the time is right.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Don't be dishonest and say I'm suggesting to ice a team of teenagers. I just don't see why we're signing two semi-expensive multi-year contracts to a 34 and a 35 year old when we're going to have a bunch of young guys coming through the system in the coming years and we won't be competing next year.

I don’t see it either. Going out and signing a bunch of UFAs next doesn’t look me much more than ‘rebuild on the fly’. That’s not what this is. I expect another year of suckage, followed by an upswing the following year.

Reactions: Matt4776

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Nope, absolutely not and the wrong move. A bunch of youngsters on the blue line. You don't think they NEED Marc now that McD is gone? Playing him on the 3rd pair and on PK makes him a part of this team. Trade him if you can, but NOT at the expense of trading down. I am sorry, I don't agree.

Reactions: RGY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad