The Tomas Plekanec Thread

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Komarov and Plekanec both suck.

Thankfully, we still have guys like Moore and Leivo who could replace them.

Unfortunately, Babcock is our coach.

In a fantasy hockey playoffs pool, one typically selects on the basis of regular season stats. So say Crosby is available. He's had Malkin, Fleury, Letang...he could be a product of his environment. Maybe he's talented. Consistent winning seems to indicate the latter.

When Babcock was available, there wasn't, and hasn't been, a better coach on the market since. Maybe he's the product of his former environment. Maybe he's talented. Consistently winning wherever he goes seems to indicate the latter.

And, fortunately, since he's been here, his Maple Leafs club, seems to have done more in the regular season than any other.

How in the hades, can someone on one hand, say in relief, that thankfully, we can lean on Josh Leivo (and I'm a Leivo fan and have defended him in the HFboards jungle outside the Leafs section) and Moore, but lament a coach that has had the success he's had everywhere he's gone, but more importantly, a game ago, as the coach of a franchise setting regular season?

Reactions: deepz

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Martin and Johnsson and Leivo would be nice adds. Grit and enthusiasm can go a long way in a playoffs series to provide our top line talent a little more room to work.

I'd insert Justin Holl and Andreas Borgman while we're at it. Holl looked fantastic while paired with Dermott and Borgman has at times been a real deterrent owing to his physical play.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
He played 10 minutes in game 1. The only thing I noticed was him looking disinterested. It was like he was in a preseason game.

I kept saying "wait until the playoffs to judge him." Well, fire away now, everyone. This guy is a disgrace out there.

There isn't a single Leafs player from recent memory that I wouldn't rather have in the lineup for Game 2. I'd prefer Mike VanRyn as the 4th line C. And I'm only borderline joking.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
In a fantasy hockey playoffs pool, one typically selects on the basis of regular season stats. So say Crosby is available. He's had Malkin, Fleury, Letang...he could be a product of his environment. Maybe he's talented. Consistent winning seems to indicate the latter.

When Babcock was available, there wasn't, and hasn't been, a better coach on the market since. Maybe he's the product of his former environment. Maybe he's talented. Consistently winning wherever he goes seems to indicate the latter.

And, fortunately, since he's been here, his Maple Leafs club, seems to have done more in the regular season than any other.

How in the hades, can someone on one hand, say in relief, that thankfully, we can lean on Josh Leivo (and I'm a Leivo fan and have defended him in the HFboards jungle outside the Leafs section) and Moore, but lament a coach that has had the success he's had everywhere he's gone, but more importantly, a game ago, as the coach of a franchise setting regular season?
Since Nick Lidstrom retired Babcock teams have won 1 play off round in 7 years.

Reactions: Al14

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Tomas Turtleneck has never been a play off performer. He is a career plus in regular season and a career minus in play offs.

Honest Hab fans will tell you he was finished long ago. (Check their board) What you see from Pleks is what he has been doing since late 015 season.

Difference is Montreal game him twice the ice time, played him on the first line, 3 on 3 and PK. Why? That is a whole other story , not for a Leaf board.

I told every leaf fan friend when Lou traded for him this is what they would get from Pleks......nothing.

My only surprise is Babs not healthy scratching him yet.

I guarantee Pleks wont finish the series. Babs will scratch him.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He played 10 minutes in game 1. The only thing I noticed was him looking disinterested. It was like he was in a preseason game.

I kept saying "wait until the playoffs to judge him." Well, fire away now, everyone. This guy is a disgrace out there.

There isn't a single Leafs player from recent memory that I wouldn't rather have in the lineup for Game 2. I'd prefer Mike VanRyn as the 4th line C. And I'm only borderline joking.

Bang on .

Reactions: Al14 and iSophagus

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Look at his career stats, look at how he plays. Wonder how the f*** was he able to be a 50 pts player.

He's one of the worst playoff performers I've seen with the habs. We kept on losing in the first or 2nd round and he was playing 20 min. per game year after year.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah, thats why. He doesn't have the ability to play that much (1C mins).

But we don't have him in that role, hes a 4th line guy maybe 8-12 min tops. He should be fine. When he played that game with AJ and Kappy they were actually pretty damn good.

I'm not a fan of him in that role either. He's soft as butter, lost all of his offense which was based on his speed. Not even that good on faceoffs. In his prime he would've been a damn fine 3rd line C, but he was asked to do too much and overrated.

Reactions: MattySnipes

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Depends on what you consider success. It's not Komarov or Plekanec's job to fire a single shot at the opposing net. These Corsi stats are pretty much useless unless you are using them for some kind of two-way play statistic. Since they are not two-way players, the stats are pretty much useless. Last night, Brad Marchand has the puck and doesn't pass it to the point. Komarov has it covered. Job 100% done. Period. But Marchand does pass it to an open man, who should of been covered by Plekanec. (Whether Plekanec's panic on Hainsey's positioning is warranted is up to debate.)The fourth line is designed to handle losing the draw in the defensive zone. Period. The biggest problem with Plekanec doing his job is when someone fails to do theirs, and that's rarely Komarov. When someone messes up, the whole system breaks down. But don't evaluate these guys on two-way play when they're not even being asked to play that way.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Just admit we made a mistake and move on from this carcass of a player. The Goat is better than this guy.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I said it earlier in this thread... this guy is a dumpster fire. Epic fail on the part of Lou. 2 years in a row throwing 2nd round picks in the trash.

Still no top 4 defender acquired.

Embarrassing trade deadline.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Just send him HOME! Montreal is where he actually wants to be anyways!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00