The Tomas Plekanec Thread

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So disappointed with the loss of a 2nd. I really couldn’t care less about valiev and Rychel, but we have been selecting really nice looking 2nds since hunter came on board, outside of rasanen they all look certain to be nhlers. Dermott is one, grundstrom is going to be one. Korshkov if he comes over has been playing well in the 2nd best league in the world. Bracco will play in the nhl I just don’t think it will be with the leafs. And we threw one of those opportunities away for Tomas ****ing plekanec

I mentioned this in another thread, but I’d really really like Management to actually sort out the 4C position before the next season starts. No more flipping 2nds at the deadline for questionable vetsvplease.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Gave him the benefit of the doubt his first 2 weeks here - he has been brutal. No spark to him whatsoever.
He wants to be home in Montreal with his wife and kids, and, it shows with his lack of passion on the ice for our Leafs!

Lou and Company really screwed up trading for Plekanec! Should have made more of an effort to sign Brian Boyle!

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
And yet, Plekanec is doing his job, his role, better then many of the players ahead of him.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He won't be re-signed...there are better options right now on the Marlies...Or Brown could be center even...The only ice he should see is in his drink!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I mentioned this in another thread, but I’d really really like Management to actually sort out the 4C position before the next season starts. No more flipping 2nds at the deadline for questionable vetsvplease.

The second we traded for Pleks is not a big deal. We can make it up with a nice FA signing. I'd be happy to flip another one next year if we are "closer" at the TDL than we are this year. Heck we might even flip our first for that "last" piece. Best to get used to it now.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
He's a fourth line center to shut down the opposition in his own zone. And if other's don't do their job and they get scored on,
is that really his fault?

And he didn’t do that in Game 1. His line gave up the last minute goal in the second period, which ended up being a back breaker. Game could’ve gone much differently had the Leafs been down by one instead of 2 heading into the third.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It always surprises me when NHLers commit career suicide.

In this case all he has to do is win faceoffs and check with limited minutes. A small order to gain a NHL contract next season. Who will give him one now? I think even MTL would be crazy to sign him again.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
This has to fall on the pro scouts who thought he still could offer something and whoever between shabby Lou divas and hunter that was responsible for talking to Pleks agent before the deal to see if he was really had his heart in it.
Dude legit looks like he’s passing time til he can coast back to Montreal and be comfortable.
Babs is in a tough spot though, he clamoured for more depth then when his management delivered this dud he’s kinda stuck playing him otherwise it looks bad on management. Playing him also makes us look bad though so it’s a real catch 22
Was thinking about this as well. This falls on a bunch of people, but the pro scouts should take a lot of heat here. It's their job to recognize from their viewings if a player still has it or not. And the whole rival team thing is also a factor. Maybe this is a lesson in not trading for lifers on your rival team because of this, and instead looking elsewhere.

As for filling in this position long term. Draft centres. Draft a lot. You will see me screaming for centres in the draft threads. They are so important and no matter what, you wither always need one, or someone does, making them good currency. Hunter has drafted winger after winger, take a break and take centres. I don't care if needs a different in 5 years, everyone always needs centres at all times.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I haven’t really seen much from him on the ice. Hoping that management sees more in the dressing room then they do on the ice that can help the young kids.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
He's a fourth line center to shut down the opposition in his own zone. And if other's don't do their job and they get scored on,
is that really his fault?

No, it would not be his fault if others don't do their job, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The Athletic has a piece today about the Leafs PK over the last several games. Few have been good. Plek has been terrible. Lots of time he is just not moving his feet out there, and is an out of position passenger watching with bad results.

For the last 5 games of the regular season as the Leafs PK was falling apart Plek was allowing over 50 HDSCA per 60. He allowed twice as many HDSCA as Komarov, Brown and Johnsson put together (and combined they played 3 times as many minutes, so Plek was allowing 6 times as many HDSCA per 60 as the average of Kom, Brown and Johnsson). Hyman's was high too - but that is because of the PK minutes he played with Plek.

There is a reason that Plek received far less PK time in the first playoff game than Hyman, Kom, Kap and Brown, and just a little bit more than Marleau and Nylander. It would be great to have a shutdown down C who can win faceoffs playing a lot of PK minutes, but that does not seem to an option - and the reason is because he has been a trainwreck on the PK lately (and really, he hasn't been any better at 5v5).

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Hahah we will draft the next Jamie benn who will send Matthews into next week...bruins in 5 . Book it.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I do think the entire fanbase is being a little silly on this one. They traded for him to center the 4th line. He doesn't get any PP time and he doesn't get favourable zone starts in his limited minutes at even strength. The Leafs did pay a hefty price to get him. I just don't think it's fair to expect too much from a player in that role. Take a long hard look at the offensive production that 4C's produce over the course of a season in this league. Hint - it is very little unless they're allowed to move up the lineup.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
looking forward to see how he does tonight. Kapanen and Johnsson are both speedy guys who can score, maybe our 4th line can catch the Bruins unawares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad