OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 197 Winter, comets, and Fios oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This dope decided to go carpet surfing...
10805771_10107582570489844_4932679255081597885_n.jpg

He looks guilty.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wow glad to hear he is alright! Is that a salt water tank? If so, what size

It is saltwater. It's a pretty small tank as I'm in a second floor apartment. 30 gallon display tank, but it has the unique dimensions of 24" x 24" x 12". I chronicled the build here if you're interested:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2420434

Guilty or embarrassed or just freaked out BG. Maybe all three. He's really a pretty neat fish. I've already trained him to eat out of a pipette so I don't have to dump a bunch of food in there and hope he gets some while the rest decomposes somewhere.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
That's certainly comforting.

It should be, you need to be one of the top %.1 technical minds in the world to actually make it work. It just costs so relatively little for the hardware needed. It's the software that you can't just pay for, it needs to be developed, tweaked, tested, etc. On the black market you're talking into 7 figures, if it's something you can purchase or have someone code for you at all.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Holy propaganda Batman.

I really worry Russia is going to fall back into a pseudo version of Communism within the next 5 or 10 years.

It should be, you need to be one of the top %.1 technical minds in the world to actually make it work. It just costs so relatively little for the hardware needed. It's the software that you can't just pay for, it needs to be developed, tweaked, tested, etc. On the black market you're talking into 7 figures, if it's something you can purchase or have someone code for you at all.

So, 1 in 1000 computer junkies? That seems like a lot of people to me. :scared:

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
did you take it back and demand a new burrito bowl with fresh live flies?

I did minus the flies. I tweeted a pic to Chipotle and they Tweeted me minutes later and just got off the phone from their headquarters. They are mailing me a couple of gift cards. Think it's for 2 free burrito bowls.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I dont really get Chipotle's explosive success and the thoughts that their growth can continue on this trajectory. I know not the day nor the hour, but I think it's going to be a fantastic short someday.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I did minus the flies. I tweeted a pic to Chipotle and they Tweeted me minutes later and just got off the phone from their headquarters. They are mailing me a couple of gift cards. Think it's for 2 free burrito bowls.

Hop all over asking for the extra meat you choose for both of those bowls :laugh:

Lous Special Sauce

Aug 16, 2013
It is saltwater. It's a pretty small tank as I'm in a second floor apartment. 30 gallon display tank, but it has the unique dimensions of 24" x 24" x 12". I chronicled the build here if you're interested:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2420434

Guilty or embarrassed or just freaked out BG. Maybe all three. He's really a pretty neat fish. I've already trained him to eat out of a pipette so I don't have to dump a bunch of food in there and hope he gets some while the rest decomposes somewhere.

Wow just read through the whole thread... Pretty epic build dude!! Lots of Progress and it looks great. I've only had fresh water tanks so I don't understand all the details and little things but overall that was a lot of work. I have been thinking about getting another fresh water tank going as I haven't had one in several years now, def not this big of a build though

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wow just read through the whole thread... Pretty epic build dude!! Lots of Progress and it looks great. I've only had fresh water tanks so I don't understand all the details and little things but overall that was a lot of work. I have been thinking about getting another fresh water tank going as I haven't had one in several years now, def not this big of a build though

Thanks! I was very close to ordering a significantly larger custom tank, but luckily I held off because it would not have made the trip with me out here. I really want a bigger tank, but I just can't bring myself to go much larger in a second floor apartment. But I would certainly do the build all over again. I love that part of it. There are a couple things I'd do differently that I'd like to try.

Saltwater is enormously rewarding, and infinitely more complex and interesting than freshwater. I love freshwater tanks too, but once you get into saltwater, freshwater just can't compare. And of course I love the creatures that are most difficult to care for. The SPS corals are so demanding. I've been reading up on the relationships between certain water parameters and on the surface they are straightforward enough http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/, but when you start diving in, it can kinda make your head spin: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/5/chemistry

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Thanks! I was very close to ordering a significantly larger custom tank, but luckily I held off because it would not have made the trip with me out here. I really want a bigger tank, but I just can't bring myself to go much larger in a second floor apartment. But I would certainly do the build all over again. I love that part of it. There are a couple things I'd do differently that I'd like to try.

Saltwater is enormously rewarding, and infinitely more complex and interesting than freshwater. I love freshwater tanks too, but once you get into saltwater, freshwater just can't compare. And of course I love the creatures that are most difficult to care for. The SPS corals are so demanding. I've been reading up on the relationships between certain water parameters and on the surface they are straightforward enough http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/, but when you start diving in, it can kinda make your head spin: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/5/chemistry

That's a great setup for an apartment, good job man, that's a major accomplishment! My brother has an insane tank, it's 72" x 20" x 24, 150 gallons, it's freaking huge. Like you he built it from scratch but all the pluming for everything goes through the wall, down into his basement with a separate tank, filtering setup and runs back up. It's insanely complicated with all the plumbing and stuff. Looks like he's got a freaking meth lab going on down there.

Like you said very rewarding, all sorts of crazy coral, clownfish, anemones, tons of beautiful fish and things, just a crazy complex ecosystem going on in there. I'll have to get you some pics of his setup.

You can take all those principals and things you learned, scale it up and go crazy when you get the space.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It's ridiculous how ESPN tries to force us to believe anyone gives a ratz azz about women's college basketball. So #1 got beat. Nobody cares. ((click))

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My brother has an insane tank, it's 72" x 20" x 24, 150 gallons, it's freaking huge.

That's exactly what I want someday. Not those dimensions though, but 150 gallons. Maybe even 200 gallons if I have the space.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I either want a 300 gallon peninsula or something like a 48 x 48 x 20 shallow "cube". Someday...

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Anyone affected by NY Penn Station today? NJT really ****ed people like me today. Took me 2+ hours to get to Newark from NYC today...8:30-11:00. Had to walk back to get the PATH

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Is it the usual (signals out again)?

A train was disabled in the Hudson River Tunnel. I'm sitting in my train waiting for it to clear (around 8:40am). Then by 9:15 we start moving slowly and stopping and then it goes reverse back into NY Penn.

Then we move again and just sit and don't move. Conductor was telling us we'll move any minute.10 minutes later after he said the disabled train was moved he announced another train got disabled and that he doesn't know when we'll get out. He took the train back in Penn Station and I got out and went to the PATH.

Best part? Ticket guys came around and snatched up everyone's ticket and I activated my ticket on my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad