OT: The Thread About Nothing CCIX: VIEWS [from the 201]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I am a huge fan of the Thermacell. I have a handheld for when I am in the woods and a Lantern version for my patio. They definitely work.

Mosquito Repellers

They don't work against chiggers and ticks but they do a great job with mosquitoes. I think it keeps away most flying insects. I have the lantern hanging underneath a patio umbrella and within 10 minutes of turning it on the bugs are gone.

I'll have to keep these in mind for the Spring. I'm surprised they work, usually these type of things are useless.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'll have to keep these in mind for the Spring. I'm surprised they work, usually these type of things are useless.

It's not a typical electric or frequency kind of thing...The units are essentially a gas driven(lighter fluid cartridge) heater that heats up a tray that contains a replaceable wafer. The wafer last about 2 hours or so. The gas last about 2 wafers until it has to be replaced.

There is an igniter button to start it, almost like a gas grill. You see a faint smoke come off the wafer and as soon as you see the smoke the mosquitoes are gone.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It's not a typical electric or frequency kind of thing...The units are essentially a gas driven(lighter fluid cartridge) heater that heats up a tray that contains a replaceable wafer. The wafer last about 2 hours or so. The gas last about 2 wafers until it has to be replaced.

There is an igniter button to start it, almost like a gas grill. You see a faint smoke come off the wafer and as soon as you see the smoke the mosquitoes are gone.

How long would they typically stay away? What type of coverage are you getting out of it?

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I don't care about the humane factor of trapping and killing mice. You go into my apartment, you die, it's as simple as that. The other thing is that the doorman just gave me a couple of glue traps, and I can't argue with free stuff. But I do care about them squeaking as they die, as well as the fact that they generally look gross just being trapped there. The hardware store near me has disposable traps that you bait with peanut butter or cheese in the front and it indicates when it's got one. I think I'll buy a couple of them for the future, they're a little over $6 for a pack of two.

This is the first time I've seen a mouse in my apartment, so hopefully they won't need to be used.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How long would they typically stay away? What type of coverage are you getting out of it?
The Thermacell site says coverage is 15'X15' but I don't need that much I am usually in a 10 or so foot area....The lantern one is the one I use they most. It's out on our deck under a patio umbrella mounted won a table that is maybe a 4ft diameter (roughly I am guessing) about 5/6 ft away is an outdoor couch. When ever it is nice out my wife and have diner at then table then typically move to the couch to hang out. We usually leave the lantern on the table 5 feet away and it still works.

The handheld one I only use while I am hunting. So it is only needs to cover me and I keep it on me. But I am sure it would cover the same space. It uses the same wafer and gas.

Edit: On how long...
The wafer is blue. As it burns the blue fades to white. Once the blue is gone it stops working. I don't know the exact time but it is usually ~2 hours. -- I checked there site and it said 3 to 4 hours. I don't think that is true. The gas last that long, the wafers about half that.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Most of these anti-mosquito things are indeed useless gimmicks, but Thermocell is legit. I too have one for fall hunting.

At my house we have no mosquitoes or house flies courtesy of the roughly 20 barn swallows that live on the property. Each barn swallow eats its' weight in flying insects per day, supposedly almost 1,000. That's about 20,000 flying insects removed from by my place each day!

542858658_7c51d77c45_z.jpg

Reactions: devilsblood

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Most of these anti-mosquito things are indeed useless gimmicks, but Thermocell is legit. I too have one for fall hunting.

At my house we have no mosquitoes or house flies courtesy of the roughly 20 barn swallows that live on the property. Each barn swallow eats its' weight in flying insects per day, supposedly almost 1,000. That's about 20,000 flying insects removed from by my place each day!

542858658_7c51d77c45_z.jpg

So I need to train a bunch of barn swallows... should be simple enough.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I don't care about the humane factor of trapping and killing mice. You go into my apartment, you die, it's as simple as that. The other thing is that the doorman just gave me a couple of glue traps, and I can't argue with free stuff. But I do care about them squeaking as they die, as well as the fact that they generally look gross just being trapped there. The hardware store near me has disposable traps that you bait with peanut butter or cheese in the front and it indicates when it's got one. I think I'll buy a couple of them for the future, they're a little over $6 for a pack of two.

This is the first time I've seen a mouse in my apartment, so hopefully they won't need to be used.

You realize this is cognitive dissonance?

Reactions: Darkauron

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Mouse update: it was still alive but stuck in my sink when I got back home. I guess it was too deep to climb out. I threw a couple of glue traps in there and it’s currently stuck on one. It should be dead in the morning.
Wait, you knew you had a mouse in your sink, and you left him there, came back to find him still there, effectively trapped, and your move was to throw glue traps into the sink?

Dude, wtf?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Wait, you knew you had a mouse in your sink, and you left him there, came back to find him still there, effectively trapped, and your move was to throw glue traps into the sink?

Dude, wtf?

Yeah this ain't it chief. Pick it up and remove it from your house, don't be an idiot and just leave it to die in your sink with probably the most barbaric traps out there. Just an all round bad post.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Dude, wtf?

Is this like that old saying... “Its like shooting fish in a barrel”?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You can buy spikes that you lay down on pigeon landing sites so they can't land
There are "sticky" options here as well. I know there is one in a caulk tube. It doesn't cement them to the ledge, they just don't like to walk on it.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ

Dude, wtf?
Ya, I wish we had unlike buttons. This is torture man. Either take him outside or put him out of his misery quick. Hell, a hammer to the head quickly would be a better fate.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Ew, I'm not touching that disgusting thing. I bought different traps for next time.

It's a mouse dude, get over it. Things are like the size of your thumb. Put leather gloves on in case it tries to bite and put it in a bowl or something and let it outside on the edge of your property. Or bring it to a more remote spot away from houses

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I know we have about 3 resident computer dorks who frequent this thread.

Tonight I'm on Chrome and I have 2 tabs open (1 HFBoards, 1 NJ Devils game stream), but it's kind of laggy, so when I go to investigate I find this:

Chrome-issue.jpg

Any idea what would/could be causing that? I'd expect to only have 2 open, 1 for each tab.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

Tonight I'm on Chrome and I have 2 tabs open (1 HFBoards, 1 NJ Devils game stream), but it's kind of laggy, so when I go to investigate I find this:

Chrome-issue.jpg

Any idea what would/could be causing that? I'd expect to only have 2 open, 1 for each tab.

Welcome to chrome. It is a resource hog and is very inefficient process wise.

Reactions: New Jersey

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

Chrome-issue.jpg

Welcome to chrome. It is a resource hog and is very inefficient process wise.

Bingo.

Also if you have any Chrome apps installed (Hangouts is one, for example) or some browser extensions, they sometimes run in their own chrome.exe instances.

Plus HF isn't exactly the most efficient site on resources, either.

Whenever I need to stream, I usually use another browser and use Chrome for non-streaming activities.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I learned about computers as a tween/young teen while using Firefox...

Switched to Chrome for a few years in college...

Now I'm back to swearing by Firefox most of the time in macOS and all of the time in Windows. I'm also a fan of Safari on macOS. (Windows version is trash, don't waste your time.)

Edit: lol Safari for Windows was so trash that it's been gone since 2012? You can tell how much I missed it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I have a computer question as well.

The internet on my laptop cut out suddenly yesterday. Run through the diagnostics and they are telling me the network adapter hardware is not connected.

So what/where is that and how do i fix?

Edit: And now it works. The trick apparently was to reboot the computer a 5th time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad