The Tank Thread - 2022-23 edition (Lottery Drawing 05/08/23 7PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He's certainly not a better prospect than the one who's # is hanging in the rafters.

Yes, I know that for sure.
1. He doesn't fit the timeline. If the firing of Larson tells us anything, the front office is in a hurry. 2. Russian factor. Best case scenario he arrives in three years. What if he gets drafted into a war?
3. He's a winger and we have plenty of wingers.
Hes in a hurry or he just doesnt like the job Larsen did with what he had. It was a terrible lineup for most of the year but not 31st in the NHL bad. I think it tells us he was a more veteran coach to get things going the other direction and a new voice. If the pick is 4 those guys wont be ready much sooner than Michkov would come over anyway. Well unless you want another Sillinger situation

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I've followed his career since he was 15.

How about you stop being so aggresively condescending. Extremely arrogant comment to make about a subject that is under heavy debate across the entire scouting community. As if you have a crystal ball and everyone else is stupid
Look not trying to sound condescending but a lot of people talk about him being the messiah. I was just tired of hearing people retreading headlines and stats without going further than formulating a thought for themselves. The same as people say Columbus as a city sucks.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Hes in a hurry or he just doesnt like the job Larsen did with what he had. It was a terrible lineup for most of the year but not 31st in the NHL bad. I think it tells us he was a more veteran coach to get things going the other direction and a new voice. If the pick is 4 those guys wont be ready much sooner than Michkov would come over anyway. Well unless you want another Sillinger situation
He has two years (maybe less) to get this fixed. I'm just not sure how many more times this needs to be said.

He's going to use our top pick to get a center, via draft or trade. He's not going to use it on a Russian winger that won't arrive until after he's fired.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's certainly not a better prospect than the one who's # is hanging in the rafters.

Yes, I know that for sure.
1. He doesn't fit the timeline. If the firing of Larson tells us anything, the front office is in a hurry. 2. Russian factor. Best case scenario he arrives in three years. What if he gets drafted into a war?
3. He's a winger and we have plenty of wingers.

Who was a more skilled prospect than Michkov?

Smith is an extremely bad fit for a team in a hurry also.
You don’t know what wingers they’ll have in 3-4 years time.
Gaudreau 33/34y, Laine maybe gone?

What if they trade for a top6C and have Johnson& that C in the middle, is the C bigger issue than the W?

At 4 they can’t draft for current need, Smith at best is 3-4 years away from giving the answer to C problems.
So even with him they’d have to go all out for a C via trade/signing.
So now you’ve created a lockjam in the middle.

So at 4 you draft the best prospect no matter if it’s a winger or a C

I don't know anything about him.

He’s at best 3-4 years away from being the C they need today.

He’s not a quick answer either, so for that top3 pick is a must

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I just remember in 2016 when there was a "clear top-3" and Jarmo selected PLD.

Who knows what Jarmo does. He could say Michkov is 2nd most talented and take him 2nd. He could pass on Fantilli to draft Carlsson. If he's in 3 or 4, he could pass on guys to take Smith. We don't know what he's thinking or what his draft table / criteria looks like.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Comments from Jarmo tells me he’s done building the pipeline after he adds this blue chip center (hopefully top 3 guy).

I think they are gonna bring in a lot of vets to help turn this thing around.

I expect to add a:

Vet coach.
Vet top 6 center.
Vet top 4 left defense.
Vet goalie.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Veteran coach is a must for next hire.

Someone who can help the kids to take the next step and become a legit playoff team.

Rookie coach is an absolute no no

Comments from Jarmo tells me he’s done building the pipeline after he adds this blue chip center (hopefully top 3 guy).

I expect to add a:

Vet coach.
Vet top 6 center.
Vet top 4 left defense.
Vet goalie.

If they land a top3 pick that vet C becomes ”useless.

Should just buy more grit to offense and go all in for defense

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Someone who can help the kids to take the next step and become a legit playoff team.

Im not sure its useless if its a guy like Backlund. He can play anywhere and great option if injuries occur again. If he sticks around into the future he could easily be a matchup center behind the top lines

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I still think we might need another vet C, but it really depends on how they feel about Jenner's back.. he's not getting younger and he's had previous issue and that's not something that goes away and actually will only get worse over the next 2--5 years. Imagine we go into next season thinking we're solid down the middle and Jenner gets hurt. As good as Fantilli and Carlson might be, it could be a bad idea to go into next season with some combo of KJ, top3 pick, Roslovic, Kuraly, Voronkov

Another wildcard... How serious is Laine/FO at realistically switching to C? If he can actually make that jump that restructures our lineup significantly. I feel like it's a reach even talking about it since it was such a small sample size but he really did look good in the middle. As much as I don't think it's gonna happen, part of me thinks Jarmo (or maybe it's just me) can't help but want him to make the change. Imagine we trade away PLD for a winger in Laine only to convert him to ab effective 1/2C?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Im not sure its useless if its a guy like Backlund. He can play anywhere and great option if injuries occur again. If he sticks around into the future he could easily be a matchup center behind the top lines

Backlund sure, he just made it sure he wants to compete for a Cup.

But I really wish they hope/see Johnson as a C and don’t add a C and push him to W

I still think we might need another vet C, but it really depends on how they feel about Jenner's back.. he's not getting younger and he's had previous issue and that's not something that goes away and actually will only get worse over the next 2--5 years. Imagine we go into next season thinking we're solid down the middle and Jenner gets hurt. As good as Fantilli and Carlson might be, it could be a bad idea to go into next season with some combo of KJ, top3 pick, Roslovic, Kuraly, Voronkov

Another wildcard... How serious is Laine/FO at realistically switching to C? If he can actually make that jump that restructures our lineup significantly. I feel like it's a reach even talking about it since it was such a small sample size but he really did look good in the middle. As much as I don't think it's gonna happen, part of me thinks Jarmo (or maybe it's just me) can't help but want him to make the change. Imagine we trade away PLD for a winger in Laine only to convert him to ab effective 1/2C?

Veteran C yes.

But if they get a top3 pick it shouldn’t be a top6 C.
Rather go all in on defense and allow Jenner to break in either Fantilli or Carlsson& run Johnson with Gaudreau and Marchenko

Gaudreau- Johnson- Marchenko
Jenner- Fantilli- Laine

Reactions: CBJx614

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This organization can't afford to wait 3 years on a top 5 pick right now. We've waited long enough. They need to start winning soon.
This organization can't afford to think an 18yo kid is going to be a favor in a year. It's going to take 2-3 years for these picks to dominate and be effective top 6 players. We keep forgetting that.

Yes, I'm aware Bedard is likely ahead of that curve but he's still young to need 2 years to be the player they expect when they get him

Reactions: EspenK

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

But I really wish they hope/see Johnson as a C and don’t add a C and push him to W

Veteran C yes.

Rather go all in on defense and allow Jenner to break in either Fantilli or Carlsson& run Johnson with Gaudreau and Marchenko

Jenner- Fantilli- Laine
I agree I don't think we need to make a huge splash just someone who can (hopefully) stay healthy, contribute defensively and offensively and not be a liability both on the ice and in the dot.

The D is a way bigger concern. It needs a major reshape and I get that most of that will come with the kids getting more experienced, but last season was absolutely abysmal and a complete joke.

Lots of change coming hoping it's for the better!

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Veteran C yes.

Jenner- Fantilli- Laine
Thats just 1 example. I dont think anyone wants to be in a situation where 1 injury completely guts the center position. We do need a 3C. Im hoping they move on from Roslovic but I dont know who would want him. Maybe a new coach gets him going but even then I feel like maybe you get a good season in a contract year and then back to the same old Roslovic.

Reactions: CBJx614

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

I expect to add a:

Vet coach.
Vet top 6 center.
Vet top 4 left defense.
Vet goalie.

And who do you have playing next to Werenski the next year or 2??

Reactions: Columbus Jack

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

Useless? Thanks for the laugh.

I find it absolutely baffling at those like yourself who want to throw an 18 year old into the top 6 center NHL fire. Have we not learned anything from Sillinger, Brule, etc?

Shelter these kids, give them favorable matchups, majority ozone starts, and let them earn their way into that role. We should not count on anything in D+1 as they all develop differently — see Byfield, Strome, and countless others.

Hell, second overall pick Seguin won a cup with Boston as a third line winger earlier in his career.

Let a vet handle that heavy lifting until they’ve proven their ready.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
And who do you have playing next to Werenski the next year or 2??

Everyone seems ready to throw an 18 year old into a top 6 center role with no pro experience then why is it not possible for Jiricek to play there? I mean at least he has a year of AHL experience and showed extremely well at that level against men.

For the record — I’m not a fan of that but this lineup isn’t gonna be perfect and the list I presented is where I feel the priorities will be. Doesn’t mean I’ll be right.

Reactions: thebus88

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
If Bedard is half the player he's supposed to be, he's ready to make an impact next season already. The top-3 were supposed to be franchise altering talents, if that prediction is as sure as people make it sound, then they will be good players out the gate. If they are not, then how can you be sure they will be in 2 or 3 years since even pro scouts seem to struggle to predict that far with 17-18 year olds?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
If Bedard is half the player he's supposed to be, he's ready to make an impact next season already. The top-3 were supposed to be franchise altering talents, if that prediction is as sure as people make it sound, then they will be good players out the gate. If they are not, then how can you be sure they will be in 2 or 3 years since even pro scouts seem to struggle to predict that far with 17-18 year olds?

Most players take a year or two to develop even at the top of the draft.

You ever heard of Joe Thornton who had 7 points in year one? Or more recently Jack Hughes who had 21 points. Lafreniere also had 21 points.

Guys like Crosby, Ovechkin and Mathews being able to hit the ground running are much more the exception than the rule. And even then I think it’s much smarter to insulate those guys for a couple years than throw them to the wolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad