Post-Game Talk: The stuff of dreams

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
poor start and a few other sections of time that they struggled. Not a perfect game, but not a poor game either. Both goalies played well IMO, D struggled at times, some mistakes and giveaways, but overall a pretty close game. Big win, they found a way, and that's the most important point.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
In the TSN pregame show Mike Johnson gave out grades to the TO players. Aside from Tavares he gave very good grades to the whole core. Then the panel actually criticized the grades as being too harsh. Specifically saying that Tavares should be higher. Then I listened to the post game show on the radio. There the premise was that this was not about the Oilers beating the Leafs but rather about the Leafs beating themselves. The rationale was that if it had been McDavid and Leon with all 4 goals that would have been one thing but when Ryan and McLeod score, that means the other team is at fault. So on one hand the message is that the core is great and it is the support player fault. But on the other hand you win or lose with your best players and the only time support players contribute is if the opposition simply lets them.

There is a lot of panic now as well as a lot of denial in the TO media when it comes to the Leaf's best players. Of course the refrain remains that things will get even better when Tavares' deal is done and they can simply replace him with McDavid who cannot wait to jump ships to the TO juggernaut.
He played for them and is a massive homer.

He was on Gregor podcast today. Completely ignored what Edmonton did chance wise in the 1st. he said this game could have or should have been 4-0 or 5-0 Leafs after one.

Reactions: McDoused

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He played for them and is a massive homer.

He was on Gregor podcast today. Completely ignored what Edmonton did chance wise in the 1st. he said this game could have or should have been 4-0 or 5-0 Leafs after one.
Scoring chances were 13-8 for the Oilers in the first with HDCF being 7-5 in the Oilers favour. TO had some excellent chances including a couple of posts in the first 8 minutes or so but over all the Oilers probably won the period quite handily

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Day later but still amazed what a garbage player Bertuzzi has become. Complete floater. Doesn't use size, skill completely disappeared, seems to have forgotten how to play hockey. He was so bad he stood out.

Whatever happened to the Tyler Bertuzzi that put up a near PPG season in Detroit. This here version looks like a ghost. I know he had some injuries but this is some kind of cliff drop for a player.

Last 5 GP 1 assist. Woof.

Detroit dodge a bullet?

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I think a lot of the Skinner doubters need to look back on their takes like from way back, and you may have not been as wrong as you thought you were. 3 years ago-ish Skinner was universally loved and you guys DID believe in Skinner. We had a Skinner appreciation post very early. f*** it, imma bump it.

On prospects I often find first impressions have a lot of value. You really don’t need to see and see and see and see… initial assessments have a lot of value. In fact there’s a study on this in psychology, our first impressions usually are the best and most accurate.
Well said!

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Day later but still amazed what a garbage player Bertuzzi has become. Complete floater. Doesn't use size, skill completely disappeared, seems to have forgotten how to play hockey. He was so bad he stood out.

Whatever happened to the Tyler Bertuzzi that put up a near PPG season in Detroit. This here version looks like a ghost. I know he had some injuries but this is some kind of cliff drop for a player.

Detroit dodge a bullet?
It's likely he's just a poor fit for TO and it's coach. not to mention he's been more of a powerplay guy his whole career and is now getting dregs for ice time in that department

He was one of boston's best players in the playoffs last year though, but it's hard to tell if he complemented them better than he does in TO or the established core over in boston was propping him up. He hasn't gotten injured yet this year despite having a rep for being injury prone, so maybe he is floating around disinterested.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Detroit dodge a bullet?

Made me laugh that Leaf nation thought that they were going to be some sort of brute of a hockey team solely due to the acquisitions of Bertuzzi and Domi. Anyone that has A) watched either of these two players with any consistency and B) isn't stupid would realize that the reason they were available so readily is the "toughness" they bring comes in waves and they are both inconsistent players in performance and work ethic.

I at least noticed Bertuzzi existed last night, can't say the same for Domi.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Toronto is losing a lot of games the same way we were losing early in the season.

I remember like 4 or 5 games where we’d score first (and often early in the game) or had two goal leads and still lose.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Made me laugh that Leaf nation thought that they were going to be some sort of brute of a hockey team solely due to the acquisitions of Bertuzzi and Domi. Anyone that has A) watched either of these two players with any consistency and B) isn't stupid would realize that the reason they were available so readily is the "toughness" they bring comes in waves and they are both inconsistent players in performance and work ethic.

I at least noticed Bertuzzi existed last night, can't say the same for Demi.
Yep. They were both no shows. Looks like thats been ongoing. With Bertuzzi particularly he has size but presently uses none of it. So tentative out there and perhaps the injuries did him in. He was pretty peripheral and the one time he had a chance on net he flew right by an empty net rebound (the one off the post). Went right to where he was a second before. Crazy that a player doesn't stop up in front of net for a rebound and it was wide open there. He just skated by. Complete passenger.

It's likely he's just a poor fit for TO and it's coach. not to mention he's been more of a powerplay guy his whole career and is now getting dregs for ice time in that department

He was one of boston's best players in the playoffs last year though, but it's hard to tell if he complemented them better than he does in TO or the established core over in boston was propping him up. He hasn't gotten injured yet this year despite having a rep for being injury prone, so maybe he is floating around disinterested.
I wonder how much it is that he hasn't played much for a few seasons. two seasons where he lost mega games due to injury. I always worry about players that have missed so much time. They often don't find it again at this level. Bertuzzi looks lost.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Toronto is losing a lot of games the same way we were losing early in the season.

I remember like 4 or 5 games where we’d score first (and often early in the game) or had two goal leads and still lose.
Yeah but we were getting some crap goaltending too. Not sure the Leafs even have that excuse. Its funny that players like Marner figure they're playing well. Play that way and you're gonna lose most games. It was no accident Oilers coming back in third. Leafs defending in own zone is laughable. It looks like a PP anytime an opponent sets up in their zone. Oilers scoring some goals seemed inevitable.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah but we were getting some crap goaltending too. Not sure the Leafs even have that excuse. Its funny that players like Marner figure they're playing well. Play that way and you're gonna lose most games. It was no accident Oilers coming back in third. Leafs defending in own zone is laughable. It looks like a PP anytime an opponent sets up in their zone. Oilers scoring some goals seemed inevitable.
Leafs have gotten some pretty crappy goaltending lately too.

But unlike the Oilers I don’t see them winning 10 in a row anytime soon lol.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Leafs defense is generally underwhelming and old and on expiring contracts.

muzzin is 34 and ufa
giordano is 40 and ufa
Brodie is 34 and a UFA
Klingberg is 31 and UFA

edit and no defense draft prospects

just have Reilly McCabe lilegren timmins and lagesson left

Last edited:

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
If your "leaders" or "big guns" that are expected to lead your group are players without a pulse a la Matthews and Nylander, regardless of how talented they are, you are in trouble.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Leafs defense is generally underwhelming and old and on expiring contracts.

muzzin is 34 and ufa
giordano is 40 and ufa
Brodie is 34 and a UFA
Klingberg is 31 and UFA

edit and no defense draft prospects

just have Reilly McCabe lilegren timmins and lagesson left

Such trash on that D core.

Reilly an overrated quasi “number 1” D who Leaf fans themselves don’t want on the PP.

Muzzin done entirely. Gio and Brodie on the way to being done entirely.

Klingberg sucked so bad they had to get into “surgery”

McCabe is Meh.

Lillegren overrated.

Timmins and Lagesson are AHLers

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Not like what the Oilers saw though. Since Dec 15 Jones has played 13 games with a 5 vs 5 sv% of .944 and a HDSV% of .890 and an all situation sv% of .922. Now Samsonov has been giving them early Oiler like net minding but he has only played in 3 games. This slump is well earned by the whole team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad