Post-Game Talk: The stuff of dreams

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Tonight Brown had his 3 chances again. Botching each one. The puck is falling for him all over and he's got nothing. Home free on the one play and he takes way too long to dust it off. Gets stripped. Story of his season. One other free look all he had to do is raise the puck over pad. Thats it, goal. He shoves everything on ice. Contrast the finish of McLeod there vs what Brown is doing.

Brown can't skate with anything resembling speed unless his arms are in the air making momentum for himself. It's why he slows down so much when he gets it and can't take a breakout pass because his stick is in the air as he's trying to burn up ice.

He's cooked, it's beyond time to end this experiment and not make the sunk cost worse.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Never understood why NHL coaches don't do this more often. Like a guy like Todd Mclellan barely changes anything from game 1 to game 82 regardless of what is being thrown at him.

Heck NFL defenses and offenses call audibles all the time based what the opposition is showing, and this is the players not the coaches.
I think though that its different from an audible in Football because formation can tell alot about what a team is about to run and even though the players read this the same group of players remain on the field.
There really isnt a situation in hockey that I can think of similar to that.

What we have seen here over the years is that some Oilers coaches (and other NHL coaches for that matter) mix things up too much and it throws off some of the players.
Knoblauch really seems to have his finger on the pulse of this team. He doesnt mix things up too much but when he does its almost always the right move.

Reactions: capazzo

snag

Feb 22, 2014
What's more nuts that this club went 19-3 or that the same club started like 5-13

2-9-1

And since then..... (common Bob.....they have an extra 2 weeks on what you're reporting!)

Steve Dangle.

He is like all head and no shoulders now lol

Reactions: OILLIO and McDoused

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think though that its different from an audible in Football because formation can tell alot about what a team is about to run and even though the players read this the same group of players remain on the field.
There really isnt a situation in hockey that I can think of similar to that.

What we have seen here over the years is that some Oilers coaches (and other NHL coaches for that matter) mix things up too much and it throws off some of the players.
Knoblauch really seems to have his finger on the pulse of this team. He doesnt mix things up too much but when he does its almost always the right move.
For sure it is more situational in the NFL, but there are still times in the NHL to take advantage.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
No, that is not at all what I'm saying and I'm not sure why it would be interpreted as such. I'm saying it was offside. Get the whole Bouch part of it out of your heads already ffs.

What I am saying is that Hyman left the zone after gaining possession, though the puck remained in the zone on his stick.

Now, as I'm sure you are aware, if you tag out of the zone on a delayed offside for example, without possession, you are free to reenter without it being offside. Therefore I was curious about why this situation was different when all Oilers had left the zone prior to the goal but after the initial (missed) offside. Essentially, why was the play still reviewable at that point.

The question was eventually answered, with some unnecessary snark, but here you are piling on while missing the point entirely as if knowledge of the offside rule itself is some kind of flex to you. Can we move on now?

Yeah so I wasn't going to bother to respond as it didn't seem like a big deal, but since it's blown up some I'm just going to say that I was in no way attempting to be a dickhead.

I acknowledged that I must be misunderstanding what you were trying to say because I did indeed assume that you know how the offside rule works at face level and as it turns out that's exactly what happened.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
He's just terrible this season. Anything against the Oilers he's calling for. Looked like he's cheering these goals to be called back. I saw nothing in realtime and replay confirmed. Whats he even looking at?
He’s just a turd at this point. I wonder if he knows the average oilers fan can’t stand him…

IMO the poor start was a symptom of not playing teams for the last little bit that can actually burn you on your mistakes. They more or less played the same way they did in the last few to start, difference being the Blackhawks, Red Wings and Canadiens can't torch you on transition the same way. Once we buttoned it down it didn't become a problem anymore and we did a good job the rest of the way more or less. Leafs couldn't produce anything that wasn't handed to them.

Skinner was outstanding, especially when we were walking in the front door of their trap and turning it over for fun in the first 5-10 mins. This is the type of goaltending we've been waiting for for a long time and this is the type of goaltending that wins you Stanley Cups. This game is over 10 mins into it if he isn't on point.

I haven't been afraid to defend Kane, but it's at the point now where the stupidity has to be called out. He cannot play the minutes he's playing in the role he's playing in managing the puck like he did last night. Him and Drai both have caused me to lose hair because you can see both of them about to telegraph a terrible pass before it even happens. Neither of them seem to ever consider risk whatsoever prior to ripping the puck somewhere random. They have zero chemistry together in the current set up with a plug playing on their RW.

Having said all that, I think that Kane can play on a line with Drai and play well there, but there absolutely has to be a player with speed and skill on the RW, not the revolving door of Foegele/Brown/Janmark. Even a RW version of McLeod would probably be enough, don't even need a world beater. IMO a true top 6 right wing that can skate and handle the puck should be priority #1 because it accomplishes so much. Puts Kane/Drai in a position to play with each other without making each other massive liabilities, pushes McLeod & Foegele down to the third line where they are much better suited, and ends the game of musical chairs we are playing with the middle 6.
Not saying i don’t want another goalie to help Stu but a top six winger is something we need probably more than anything at this point

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Yeah so I wasn't going to bother to respond as it didn't seem like a big deal, but since it's blown up some I'm just going to say that I was in no way attempting to be a dickhead.

I acknowledged that I must be misunderstanding what you were trying to say because I did indeed assume that you know how the offside rule works at face level and as it turns out that's exactly what happened.
The rule is actually a bit bizarre.

In a hypothetical scenario taken to the extreme, if the Leafs would have stripped Hyman of the puck they could have just kept the puck in their zone and forced the Oilers to get the puck back, LEAVE the zone, bring it back in and then eventually score.

Otherwise any goal scored by the Oilers would have been eligible for review and getting called back.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

thats with a medicore PP by oilers standards lol

Hoping for at least 13 just because the next 2 games against Seattle and Calgary are important to gain seperation even though we have 4 games in hand on both. And having the streak end to the Flames would just suck.

And also because it would definitely bring the division back into play. The Canucks have been red hot as of late as well and are due for a stretch of bad hockey eventually.
you guys are too pessimistic, 71 game win streak lets us run the table in the playoffs

• Wow
Reactions: Kerberos

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
What an awesome win, Leafs wanted that one bad and we took it from them in the second half. They played well minus some key defensive mistakes but we were better defensively and in goal.

Next up Seattle and Calgary

27EDDC1E-3B31-4F23-B48E-250FE5C8E106.gif

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He’s just a turd at this point. I wonder if he knows the average oilers fan can’t stand him…

Not saying i don’t want another goalie to help Stu but a top six winger is something we need probably more than anything at this point

Top 6 RW would be my choice if I were only allowed to pick one. Wouldn't pick goalie ahead of that because none of us have any idea if pretty much any goalie realistically available would guarantee an upgrade, even over Pickard. The position is so volatile that I would hate for the team to burn up assets and cap room only to realize that we gained nothing from it while the forward mix is still messed up.

At this point I consider anything more than a depth addition on defence as a "nice to have," but not a necessity assuming we continue to play this way as a group.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Top 6 RW would be my choice if I were only allowed to pick one. Wouldn't pick goalie ahead of that because none of us have any idea if pretty much any goalie realistically available would guarantee an upgrade, even over Pickard. The position is so volatile that I would hate for the team to burn up assets and cap room only to realize that we gained nothing from it while the forward mix is still messed up.

At this point I consider anything more than a depth addition on defence as a "nice to have," but not a necessity assuming we continue to play this way as a group.
Agree on all fronts. Unless it’s a clear home run on the goalie front I’m more inclined to go for someone that can score on the second line?

Maybe someone like Tarasenko?

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
IMO the poor start was a symptom of not playing teams for the last little bit that can actually burn you on your mistakes. They more or less played the same way they did in the last few to start, difference being the Blackhawks, Red Wings and Canadiens can't torch you on transition the same way. Once we buttoned it down it didn't become a problem anymore and we did a good job the rest of the way more or less. Leafs couldn't produce anything that wasn't handed to them.

Skinner was outstanding, especially when we were walking in the front door of their trap and turning it over for fun in the first 5-10 mins. This is the type of goaltending we've been waiting for for a long time and this is the type of goaltending that wins you Stanley Cups. This game is over 10 mins into it if he isn't on point.

I haven't been afraid to defend Kane, but it's at the point now where the stupidity has to be called out. He cannot play the minutes he's playing in the role he's playing in managing the puck like he did last night. Him and Drai both have caused me to lose hair because you can see both of them about to telegraph a terrible pass before it even happens. Neither of them seem to ever consider risk whatsoever prior to ripping the puck somewhere random. They have zero chemistry together in the current set up with a plug playing on their RW.

Having said all that, I think that Kane can play on a line with Drai and play well there, but there absolutely has to be a player with speed and skill on the RW, not the revolving door of Foegele/Brown/Janmark. Even a RW version of McLeod would probably be enough, don't even need a world beater. IMO a true top 6 right wing that can skate and handle the puck should be priority #1 because it accomplishes so much. Puts Kane/Drai in a position to play with each other without making each other massive liabilities, pushes McLeod & Foegele down to the third line where they are much better suited, and ends the game of musical chairs we are playing with the middle 6.

I think if both Kane and Drai actually skate more than they glide [or worse idle in a spot], that line would be more successful. As it stands, really only Foegele skates hard but he's got both tunnel vision and stone hands.

Drai seems to think he has all the time in the world to make a 'play'; Kane seems to think he can just time in time out; and Foegele seems like he only sees the goalie and nothing else lol

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
It was really something to see Button tear a strip out of the Leafs last night. I think he said something to the fans like, "You want me to tell you your team is good when they are not." When Jay Onrait tried to put a silver lining around the Leafs performance Button said something like, "Why don't you take off your pants so everyone can see your Leafs' underwear." Hahaha..

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think if both Kane and Drai actually skate more than they glide [or worse idle in a spot], that line would be more successful. As it stands, really only Foegele skates hard but he's got both tunnel vision and stone hands.

Drai seems to think he has all the time in the world to make a 'play'; Kane seems to think he can just time in time out; and Foegele seems like he only sees the goalie and nothing else lol

Both of them like to slow down and look for a pass when they enter the zone, both of them not afraid to turn it over in fantastic fashion. They also like to take their sweet time breaking the puck out and often put themselves in awful positions as a result.

I wonder if someone got on Kane to move his feet last night. In the third he made several rushes down the wing and to the net that were actually effective and he almost scored with about 5 mins left. The less Kane passes and the more he drives the net, the better. For a guy that has produced consistent offence for over a decade, he does have horrendous hands. Even when he was a revelation for us in 2022 it was clear that puck handling and play making were in no way a strength. Put him in a position where he's only thinking "shoot, hit, go to the net" and not about trying to make plays out and in and he'll thrive.

Reactions: Biltmore and frag2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It was really something to see Button tear a strip out of the Leafs last night. I think he said something to the fans like, "You want me to tell you your team is good when they are not." When Jay Onrait tried to put a silver lining around the Leafs performance Button said something like, "Why don't you take off your pants so everyone can see your Leafs' underwear." Hahaha..

lol it’s hilarious. And I love seeing the leaf’s shat on as much as the next guy. But don’t give Button too much credit, there’s not much analysis going on from him, just obvious reactions. He’s changed his opinions on the Oilers so many times this season I’ve lost count.

Skinner's last seven games have been ridiculous.

1.000 (Shutout)

Yeh but Elvis can do the splits and he can’t.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nothing better than being wrong.

This

Wasn’t sure we would win this and we did

Also Skinner just continues to be brilliant in net. Just awesome!

I’ll put my goalie gear away….

For now

I think a lot of the Skinner doubters need to look back on their takes like from way back, and you may have not been as wrong as you thought you were. 3 years ago-ish Skinner was universally loved and you guys DID believe in Skinner. We had a Skinner appreciation post very early. f*** it, imma bump it.

On prospects I often find first impressions have a lot of value. You really don’t need to see and see and see and see… initial assessments have a lot of value. In fact there’s a study on this in psychology, our first impressions usually are the best and most accurate.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
This
Wasn’t sure we would win this and we did

Also Skinner just continues to be brilliant in net. Just awesome!

I’ll put my goalie gear away….

For now
Vezina Stuart keeps skinning the critics!

McDavid glides backward faster than Foegele sprints at full steam. lol.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
In McLeod's last 10 games, he's scored 6 goals, 5 assists. But perhaps somewhat surprisingly he's a +12 in that span, so it's not just the offense that's taken the next step with him, but an all around game. His turnaround has been pretty astonishing.

Man, I really hope he pans out and becomes our Jordan Staal was to the Pens. That'd be amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad