Post-Game Talk: The stuff of dreams

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
From around the 25 second mark, you get an 18 second offensive zone skating clinic from McLeod. Three important touches of the puck, where time away from the puck was involved reading the play and going to the right place.

p.s. As soon as you click play, click mute.
Freaking Jack just about blew out my eardrums!

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I know Nurse gets alot of shit due to his big contract.. but being able to throw him and then Ekholm out there in a different pairing really allows this team to have one great steady dman out there for more than half the game. Toronto is sorely lacking a dman like Nurse/Ekholm on their team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know Nurse gets alot of shit due to his big contract.. but being able to throw him and then Ekholm out there in a different pairing really allows this team to have one great steady dman out there for more than half the game. Toronto is sorely lacking a dman like Nurse/Ekholm on their team.
It's unfortunate that one wasn't a RD. Not to necessarily always play together, but it would be a nice pairing to throw out there when the going gets tough

But yes in today's NHL you need two pairings that can shutdown. The top teams aren't just a one line threat anymore. Just look at us, you need two good pairing to shutdown our top 6. Even Dallas, they have 6 guys with 30+points and then Johnson and Benn right behind with 26 and 27 points.

What's more nuts that this club went 19-3 or that the same club started like 5-13
K this comment is getting likes, but what is the answer lol.

I don't even know.

Reactions: bellagiobob

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
RNH - McDavid - Hyman
McLeod - Drai - Foegele
Kane - Holloway - Brown
Janmark - Ryan - Gagner

Might be worth a shot.
Did you seriously just suggest changing the lineup, for no real reason other than you want a change, to a coach & team on an 11 game win streak?
Okay.gif

I have a feeling the coach is on top of it.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
It'd be really nice if we could push the streak to 16, if only for the symbolic nature of that being what it would take to run the playoffs.
Hoping for at least 13 just because the next 2 games against Seattle and Calgary are important to gain seperation even though we have 4 games in hand on both. And having the streak end to the Flames would just suck.

And also because it would definitely bring the division back into play. The Canucks have been red hot as of late as well and are due for a stretch of bad hockey eventually.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I know the offside rule, thanks.

Hyman tagged up after receiving the puck from Bouchard, then reentered the zone with possession when the puck remained in the Leafs' zone.

I haven't found clarity in the rules on why the Leafs were allowed to challenge that play.

Edit: or rather (as I supposed they're allowed to challenge any goal they please) why the refs focused on the first entry rather than the entry leading to the actual goal.
I guess since the puck never left the zone they considered that the entry (I don't think you can tag up while in control of the puck). But I'm not certain on that.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Not sure why you're being snarky. Possession or lack thereof has implication on offsides in a number of different ways.

That circling of the rulebook does seem to answer my question, though. Thanks.
You said in an earlier post you know the offside rule but you obviously don't.

He explained with the utmost clarity a couple posts ago but you seem to not understand for some unknown reason. He even posted a picture of Hyman with both feet clearly still in the zone with the puck actually touching his stick.

What is this possession or lack thereof referring to because Hyman had possession?

Are you trying to say that you think because Bouchard didn't gain full possession, but the puck just accidentally deflected back into the zone where Hyman touched it before clearing the zone, that it shouldn't be offside?

Not snarky, but a serious question.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Man Louie constantly saying Toronto was checking the iPads after each goal was getting on my nerves. No shit Sherlock, every coach should be checking every goal for interference/offside/see how the D broke down, it's their job.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Man Louie constantly saying Toronto was checking the iPads after each goal was getting on my nerves. No shit Sherlock, every coach should be checking every goal for interference/offside/see how the D broke down, it's their job.
Usually they aren't checking as the video coach is the one that's doing it.

Louie is between benches a lot obviously it's something he hasn't noticed before.

When we were playing PHI everytime they panned on Torts he just was looking up thinking "how the f*** do we stop them"

Reactions: PULSATING

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Reading game situations is a strength of Knoblauchs for sure.
He makes these little tweaks at exactly the right time.
Never understood why NHL coaches don't do this more often. Like a guy like Todd Mclellan barely changes anything from game 1 to game 82 regardless of what is being thrown at him.

Heck NFL defenses and offenses call audibles all the time based what the opposition is showing, and this is the players not the coaches.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
IMO the poor start was a symptom of not playing teams for the last little bit that can actually burn you on your mistakes. They more or less played the same way they did in the last few to start, difference being the Blackhawks, Red Wings and Canadiens can't torch you on transition the same way. Once we buttoned it down it didn't become a problem anymore and we did a good job the rest of the way more or less. Leafs couldn't produce anything that wasn't handed to them.

Skinner was outstanding, especially when we were walking in the front door of their trap and turning it over for fun in the first 5-10 mins. This is the type of goaltending we've been waiting for for a long time and this is the type of goaltending that wins you Stanley Cups. This game is over 10 mins into it if he isn't on point.

I haven't been afraid to defend Kane, but it's at the point now where the stupidity has to be called out. He cannot play the minutes he's playing in the role he's playing in managing the puck like he did last night. Him and Drai both have caused me to lose hair because you can see both of them about to telegraph a terrible pass before it even happens. Neither of them seem to ever consider risk whatsoever prior to ripping the puck somewhere random. They have zero chemistry together in the current set up with a plug playing on their RW.

Having said all that, I think that Kane can play on a line with Drai and play well there, but there absolutely has to be a player with speed and skill on the RW, not the revolving door of Foegele/Brown/Janmark. Even a RW version of McLeod would probably be enough, don't even need a world beater. IMO a true top 6 right wing that can skate and handle the puck should be priority #1 because it accomplishes so much. Puts Kane/Drai in a position to play with each other without making each other massive liabilities, pushes McLeod & Foegele down to the third line where they are much better suited, and ends the game of musical chairs we are playing with the middle 6.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
You said in an earlier post you know the offside rule but you obviously don't.

He explained with the utmost clarity a couple posts ago but you seem to not understand for some unknown reason. He even posted a picture of Hyman with both feet clearly still in the zone with the puck actually touching his stick.

What is this possession or lack thereof referring to because Hyman had possession?

Are you trying to say that you think because Bouchard didn't gain full possession, but the puck just accidentally deflected back into the zone where Hyman touched it before clearing the zone, that it shouldn't be offside?

Not snarky, but a serious question.
No, that is not at all what I'm saying and I'm not sure why it would be interpreted as such. I'm saying it was offside. Get the whole Bouch part of it out of your heads already ffs.

What I am saying is that Hyman left the zone after gaining possession, though the puck remained in the zone on his stick.

Now, as I'm sure you are aware, if you tag out of the zone on a delayed offside for example, without possession, you are free to reenter without it being offside. Therefore I was curious about why this situation was different when all Oilers had left the zone prior to the goal but after the initial (missed) offside. Essentially, why was the play still reviewable at that point.

The question was eventually answered, with some unnecessary snark, but here you are piling on while missing the point entirely as if knowledge of the offside rule itself is some kind of flex to you. Can we move on now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad