OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Apropos of nothing, today is my 13 year wedding anniversary.

I started the day by using my exercise bike for 45 minutes and playing NHL 18, in a GM mode with the Sabres, playing on All-Star difficulty. 5 games into the season, we were 0-5, with Lehner letting in 7 goals in 4 of those games [5 in the other]. Morale was decreasing across the board, and penalties were rampant. So I made a trade: Lehner and Beaulieu to the Winnipeg Jets for Connor Hellebucyk and Tyler Myers. Hellebucyk was on the Jets block. Some players were upset that I moved a "good" player in Lehner. Myers and Hellebucyk both expressed their anxiety at joining a new team, but I reassured them both that I traded for them for a reason. Thinking about the stereotypical nature of goalies, I decided to let Connor sit on the bench for his first game with the Sabres, opting to play rookie Linus Ullmark against the Ducks. Myers slotted in the top pairing with Risto. Ullmark backstopped the Sabres to a 2-1 victory, in spite of two 5-3 PKs. It was a highlight of the day so far.

Now, I'm shopping for 20" wide slab doors to replace our decrepit bathroom closet door, and having no luck whatsoever.

Reactions: slip and Chainshot

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Apropos of nothing, today is my 13 year wedding anniversary.

Now, I'm shopping for 20" wide slab doors to replace our decrepit bathroom closet door, and having no luck whatsoever.
Bifold door(s) on a track? or swing-open-door(s) on mortised hinges? or is it a DIY home-job or a custom? That's an odd width, which is why I ask.

A google search reveals both Lowes and Home Depot carry them, however.

You should also be able to find a louvered panel, if you're willing to compromise, in those dimensions

You could also switch to an accordion-style. Or simply hang a curtain over the opening.

I'm about 3/4 way through painting all the interior and exterior doors in the house, ~20 doors total, and replacing all the interior hardware. (Did the front exterior door hardware a couple years ago, and I'm not willing to pay for the rest of the exterior hardware in rear of house.)

Years ago, in a 6-interior-door house, I replaced luan hollow-core doors with 6-panel solid core slab doors. Mortised all the hinges on the blanks. Practice first on scrap 2x stock if you have to mortise the door blank and you've never done it before.

Both bathrooms with linen closets have the entry door and the linen closet door swinging through the same arc in opposing handedness, and so both entry doors were marred from the closet door knobs.

I've owned 5 homes in my life with a total of 12 full baths, and only 1 layout was ideal from a fixture, plumbing access, and closet standpoint. If I ever build a house, it's getting that layout. Coincidentally, that layout would also be ideal for "aging in place".

Good luck. And Happy Anniversary!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is day 3 of dealing with a summer cold. My daughter brought it home Thursday and I've been dealing with it almost since then as well. We had a beach day planned -- figured I could go back it the hell out but of course Alberto happens along and chops up the Gulf side and has thunderstorms over on the Atlantic side. Bleh.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And while we didn't buy doors, my wife and I did just by a pair of new dining table chairs and a couch.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Bifold door(s) on a track? or swing-open-door(s) on mortised hinges? or is it a DIY home-job or a custom? That's an odd width, which is why I ask.

A google search reveals both Lowes and Home Depot carry them, however.

You should also be able to find a louvered panel, if you're willing to compromise, in those dimensions

You could also switch to an accordion-style. Or simply hang a curtain over the opening.

I'm about 3/4 way through painting all the interior and exterior doors in the house, ~20 doors total, and replacing all the interior hardware. (Did the front exterior door hardware a couple years ago, and I'm not willing to pay for the rest of the exterior hardware in rear of house.)

Years ago, in a 6-interior-door house, I replaced luan hollow-core doors with 6-panel solid core slab doors. Mortised all the hinges on the blanks. Practice first on scrap 2x stock if you have to mortise the door blank and you've never done it before.

Both bathrooms with linen closets have the entry door and the linen closet door swinging through the same arc in opposing handedness, and so both entry doors were marred from the closet door knobs.

I've owned 5 homes in my life with a total of 12 full baths, and only 1 layout was ideal from a fixture, plumbing access, and closet standpoint. If I ever build a house, it's getting that layout. Coincidentally, that layout would also be ideal for "aging in place".

Good luck. And Happy Anniversary!

Sounds like a big project. Our bathroom door is just a standard slab, like a bedroom door. I bought new doors to replace the bedroom ones, no panels or ornamentation. The only 20” I’ve found are paneled and $200+, which seems silly since I bought 34” doors for $35.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
One of my childhood best friends ODed and died a few days. I was randomly browsing Facebook, and found out. We used to be inseparable when we were in elementary school and early middle school.

I held it down when I found out at my family's bonfire, but once I got home I let it out. It's been a long time since I've bawled like that. I didn't think it'd hit me so hard because I haven't seen him in 10 years, but it did.

I only knew him as an innocent kid who'd play knee hockey and trade pokemon cards with me. I never knew the demons he had. I guess it hurts because part of my childhood feels gone, and the way he passed is so tragic. His family was great. I used to sleep over there almost every weekend. They were a close knit Italian family. Thinking about his mom...**** that hurts.

Why do good kids from good homes get hooked on the nastiest drugs? Last weekend was amazing, but this weekend is a bit gloomy.

Time to fire up those Dahlin highlights, ha!
That's horrible. Sorry to hear that. Addiction is a b****. And like Chain said, sadly it hits all walks of life. And there are a lot of addictions. Substances/drugs are nasty addictions for sure but there are plenty of addictions that can **** you up and reek havoc on your life. Trust me on that one.

Anyways....sorry again for your loss.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Saw the new Star Wars movie this morning with the family. I was entertained. However my daughter brought home some nasty head cold last week and now I am buried under every blanket in the house listening to hockey podcasts because if I watch video I start to see vapor trails.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Sounds like a big project. Our bathroom door is just a standard slab, like a bedroom door. I bought new doors to replace the bedroom ones, no panels or ornamentation. The only 20” I’ve found are paneled and $200+, which seems silly since I bought 34” doors for $35.

If they are truly solid slab and not hollow-core luan-clad, could you buy a 2-0 (24") and rip it down to width?

Even with a luan-clad hollow-core, you may be better off ripping one down and "capping" the exposed end somehow. For that price point, if you botch it, you still have a "table top" to set on saw horses if you ever need it, or a sacrificial workbench top, or for a couple more bucks worth of 1x2 stock, you can build a couple shelves for the garage / basement / laundry room / pantry.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
This is day 3 of dealing with a summer cold. My daughter brought it home Thursday and I've been dealing with it almost since then as well. We had a beach day planned -- figured I could go back it the hell out but of course Alberto happens along and chops up the Gulf side and has thunderstorms over on the Atlantic side. Bleh.
Similar weekend, though I've avoided the illness. Wife and I went to the beach Saturday & had a truly great time together. The vegetables - err, kids - stayed at home because they wanted to play video/computer games. Absolutely beautiful weather, and I have a sunburn to prove it. They're going to see Solo tonight if they stick to their plans. I'll likely stay home and get some house projects done. Weather today was a complete washout. We've had 9.3 inches rain in the past 2 weeks, and probably another 3 inches today. Northeasternmost bands from Alberto, I think. I have an ~8' wide ~4' deep ditch behind the house which is flowing like a river, several retention ponds have breeched their spillways, and where they flow into one of the tributaries of a coastal creek it looks like the ~10' diameter culvert crossing under the road might be getting undermined. There is/will be local flooding. I'm sure the river downtown (~5 miles west) will crest the banks mid-week or before.

I'm taking the week vacation. Tues & Wed are painting, house, and yard (if it ever dries out) projects before the in-laws arrive late next week for my daughter's graduatiuon. I already know I won't get it all done. Thursday to DC to collect my son from school and bring him home Friday. Bummed the Finals games won't be until Saturday because his school generally has or can get tickets to any game / event in the DC area. Although he won't be returning there next year.

edit: Wife is baking right now. She's quite skilled. I'm a few years older; we have different methods. When I was growing up, we saved & used butter / margarine wrappers to grease the inside of the baking pans. She uses non-stick cooking spray (also with flour in it). How does non-stick spray stick to a pan?

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Managed to make it to our soon-to-be ex-couch and have some tea and another half dose of decongestant. I've been watching Bill Hader's "Barry" on HBO on demand and I'm finding it a hoot.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
An hour of yardwork before 7:30 AM.
Moving to inside projects until the rain stops.
4.08" rain yesterday.
13.38" in past 2 weeks.
Probably another inch this AM, but will wait until tomorrow's official tally.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Managed to make it to our soon-to-be ex-couch and have some tea and another half dose of decongestant. I've been watching Bill Hader's "Barry" on HBO on demand and I'm finding it a hoot.
I cut the cord and now I'm finding it difficult to keep up on what is on HBO so I can strategically subscribe online. I've been re-watching 'six feet under' on Amazon and wanted to give Alan Ball's new series "here and now' a watch and now realized I completely missed it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I cut the cord and now I'm finding it difficult to keep up on what is on HBO so I can strategically subscribe online. I've been re-watching 'six feet under' on Amazon and wanted to give Alan Ball's new series "here and now' a watch and now realized I completely missed it.

We sort of cut the cord, but the Roku gives us some interesting options.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I cut the cord, but my parents still have DirecTV so i use their credentials on the network apps on my Roku or Fire to stream NBC Sports to watch the playoffs, and the network shows I watch and NBC Sports to watch the playoffs, which are pretty few. Since I'm back to working from home I might bite the bullet and pickup DirecTV Now, need the MLB Network again which is great to have in the background while working, good talk shows and the occasional day game, and I'll probably get the NHL.tv Sabres package again for the upcoming season.

I'm sad that this Wed is the final episode of The Americans, so I hope it goes out in epic fashion.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Same.

The only cord we have left is for internet.

Hulu and Netflix (YT for the kids and I) give us enough entertainment options.

Although, I am thinking about what I can do to give me my sports fix...

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Amazon Prime membership expiring in a couple weeks. I'm gonna live dangerously and let it expire. Wish me luck.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
What, is Jeff Bezos going to come and break your legs if he finds out?
Many people I've mentioned the cancellation to think I'm crazy. They're like, "how will you buy things?"

From a consumer behavior perspective, I think it's funny that people question the sanity of not paying a retail corporation $120 upfront for the right shop for stuff that will arrive in two days. Apparently I might have to wait several more days to receive my stuff. If that's not living dangerously in a consumerist society, then I don't know what is.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Many people I've mentioned the cancellation to think I'm crazy. They're like, "how will you buy things?"

From a consumer behavior perspective, I think it's funny that people question the sanity of not paying a retail corporation $120 upfront for the right shop for stuff that will arrive in two days. Apparently I might have to wait several more days to receive my stuff. If that's not living dangerously in a consumerist society, then I don't know what is.
I dont pay for prime but I still get free shipping on most everything, it just doesn't always come with 2 days.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I cut the cord, but my parents still have DirecTV so i use their credentials on the network apps on my Roku or Fire to stream NBC Sports to watch the playoffs, and the network shows I watch and NBC Sports to watch the playoffs, which are pretty few. Since I'm back to working from home I might bite the bullet and pickup DirecTV Now, need the MLB Network again which is great to have in the background while working, good talk shows and the occasional day game, and I'll probably get the NHL.tv Sabres package again for the upcoming season.

I'm sad that this Wed is the final episode of The Americans, so I hope it goes out in epic fashion.

My HBO is part of the internet service. It was cheaper to bundle cable and ISP than it was to just get the same ISP bandwidth solo. Weird.

Same.

The only cord we have left is for internet.

Hulu and Netflix (YT for the kids and I) give us enough entertainment options.

Although, I am thinking about what I can do to give me my sports fix...

We have had both Hulu and Netflix since we departed for Costa Rica. I also had the NHL package when were were there and could watch more games than I can in Florida because I was never in anyone's region vs. being in both the Panthers' and Lightnings' broadcast regions for a time. That? That sucked.

Amazon Prime membership expiring in a couple weeks. I'm gonna live dangerously and let it expire. Wish me luck.

We just got a Whole Foods. I'm tempted to see what their 2-hour real time delivery is like.

What, is Jeff Bezos going to come and break your legs if he finds out?

He's going to do it via a UAS isn't he? Some giant sledge hammer swung by some 8 prop drone.

I dont pay for prime but I still get free shipping on most everything, it just doesn't always come with 2 days.

As a Floridian, I never expect anything within the timeline. Orlando is the main distribution center for almost all packages into and out of the Sunshine State and it seems like it operates in its own crease within the flow of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad