The Single-A Draft (ROSTER post, picks, everything)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Actually it was your 2010 Undrafteds bio that tipped the scales for me. He may be a supreme menace but he can play some hockey....over 1000 games (and almost 100 playoff games) and over 100 goals. Not bad for a goon.

And if you average it out, despite having some significant PIMs in the playoffs, it's still 1/3 less than his regular season average, so he does show SOME restraint in the post-season.

Technically, no. Fighting goes down across the board in the playoffs. To get an apples-to-apples comparison we'd need to see his non-fighting PIMs per game in the regular season and playoffs.

regular season: 3515 - (5*296) = 2035 (2.00/game)
playoffs: 238 - (5*5) = 223 = (2.28/game)

So in the playoffs, he fought less, but took more "other" penalties, netting fewer minutes but in all likelihood gave the opposition more powerplays than he usually did.

Doesn't really matter... I like him. Good A level 4th liner. A career 9.5 minute player. You can do worse, a lot worse.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
LW - Milan Michalek
RW - Tim Ecclestone
RW - Mark Parrish
D - Billy Baird
C - Stephen Weiss
Coach - Andy Murray
D - Bill Houlder
G - Glen Hanlon
LW - Hank Goldup
LW - Benoit Brunet

Sorry for the delay. Here is my list of ten picks. If I have time I'll try and add a mini-bio of some sorts.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Oberhausen selects:

LW Greg Polis - played in three all-star games as representative for the Penguins in the early 1970s. Noted as a very fast skater and hard worker in the corners.

LW Garry Howatt - with how this league is shaping up, I'm going to need some toughness and Howatt, despite his small size, can provide that. A two-time Stanley Cup Champion, his offence is pretty decent for this level, peaking at 50 pts. He also served as an emergency linesman for a game due to a snowstorm in 1983.

F Cam Davidson - Shirley's brother and teammate with the 1890s Montreal Victorias, D.A.L MacDonald profiled him in the Feb 14 1935 Montreal Gazette's feature of "Turning Back Hockey's Pages" noted he was not as good as Shirley, but still one of the game's best and despite his small size could not be intimidated. Led the AHAC in scoring in 1898, fourth in CAHL scoring in 1899

RW Mikael Andersson - A checking player in over 761 NHL games, Andersson was an excellent skater. Won all three medals (Gold, Silver, and Bronze) at the World Championships and also represented Sweden at the 1998 Olympics, 1996 World Cup, and 1991 Canada Cup.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
The Cape Cod Cubs are re-picking for goalkeeper Vladimir Nadrchal

I have Russian source (Hokkeist info, they use sources from late 70´s I believe) which gives "In 1964, 1966, 1967 was recognized as the best goalkeeper in the country". I don´t know when this award was first given and what were the criterias. Everything else on that site seems to be correct so I have no reason to believe that this information would be false.

Kind of breaks the idea (which I also admit having) that Dzurilla would have been completely dominant goalie in 60´s at CSSR. (though in 67 Dzurilla was injured almost whole season)

Last edited:

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
The Cape Cod Cubs are re-picking for goalkeeper Vladimir Nadrchal
A few interesting tidbits:
- first Czech goalie to wear a mask (created after he took a photo of Seth Martin's mask in 1961 Champs)
- nicknamed 'Chief'
- the award he values the most is the best goalie award at a tournament in Winnipeg in 1967 (should be centennial of Hockey Canada)
- was replaced by Dzurilla as his team's #1 in 1973

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Technically, no. Fighting goes down across the board in the playoffs. To get an apples-to-apples comparison we'd need to see his non-fighting PIMs per game in the regular season and playoffs.

regular season: 3515 - (5*296) = 2035 (2.00/game)
playoffs: 238 - (5*5) = 223 = (2.28/game)

So in the playoffs, he fought less, but took more "other" penalties, netting fewer minutes but in all likelihood gave the opposition more powerplays than he usually did.

Doesn't really matter... I like him. Good A level 4th liner. A career 9.5 minute player. You can do worse, a lot worse.
Good observation . I wonder how many of these he was trying to also goad the opposition into a reprisal and take the best player off the ice with him....

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Oberhausen selects:

LW Greg Polis - played in three all-star games as representative for the Penguins in the early 1970s. Noted as a very fast skater and hard worker in the corners.

LW Garry Howatt - with how this league is shaping up, I'm going to need some toughness and Howatt, despite his small size, can provide that. A two-time Stanley Cup Champion, his offence is pretty decent for this level, peaking at 50 pts. He also served as an emergency linesman for a game due to a snowstorm in 1983.

F Cam Davidson - Shirley's brother and teammate with the 1890s Montreal Victorias, D.A.L MacDonald profiled him in the Feb 14 1935 Montreal Gazette's feature of "Turning Back Hockey's Pages" noted he was not as good as Shirley, but still one of the game's best and despite his small size could not be intimidated. Led the AHAC in scoring in 1898, fourth in CAHL scoring in 1899

RW Mikael Andersson - A checking player in over 761 NHL games, Andersson was an excellent skater. Won all three medals (Gold, Silver, and Bronze) at the World Championships and also represented Sweden at the 1998 Olympics, 1996 World Cup, and 1991 Canada Cup.

The toy tiger was an excellent fighter. Despite not being big himself, he took on all the heavyweights and had a great record against them. He was what Darcy Tucker thought/wished he was. Two 47+ point seasons and was a career 13 minute player who was quite disciplined outside of fighting.

I would have definitely selected him.

Good observation . I wonder how many of these he was trying to also goad the opposition into a reprisal and take the best player off the ice with him....

As someone who watched domi a lot, my perception was that he did this more than most players. But whether it was more in the playoffs or not, I can't say for sure. All I could do was remove the minutes that were definitely "coincidental" (I.e. fights).

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Domi :shakehead often took a penalty at the WRONG time.

He was not disciplined or smart. He and Darcy Tucker were lose cannons who cost the Leafs many a game.

But on the fourth line post-MLD level, he could play a role.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
LW - Benoit Brunet
:clap: The few times I visited the ol' Montreal Forum I chanted with the locals "Bru-net, Bru-net" when he was checking and penalty killing. He had talent without the puck.

I was in Montreal on 9/11 visiting a friend and watching the first five games of the Canadiens' regular season (as a journalist inbetween full-time gigs), and I saw the swan song of Brunet in Montreal, not as great as he was back in '93 and '94 when I was a grad student in Windsor visiting Montreal with a uni buddy, buit still capable and respected.

The hard-working, oft-injured winger is one of Montreal's lesser-known players, but also one of its most effective when healthy. Mostly assigned to defensive missions, Brunet can, at times, be surprisingly menacing offensive-wise and score some clutch goals.

The consummate team player, Brunet can fill any role -- aside from a physical one. Brunet is streaky, but his primary problem remains...it's not if he's going to get hurt, it's when is he going to get hurt and for how long will he be out? Missed 22 outings in 1998-99 -- mostly because of his back --, but nonetheless scored a career-high 14 goals. Brunet has never played more than 71 games in a season.
http://rapids.canoe.ca/acl-bin/hplus/PlayerInfo/PlayerInfo.cgi?id=1735

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Jerry Butler RW

plr316x1.jpg

Another RobScuderi Bio

Stewart Gavin LW

stewart_gavin.jpg

robscuderi's old bio

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Domi :shakehead often took a penalty at the WRONG time.

He was not disciplined or smart. He and Darcy Tucker were lose cannons who cost the Leafs many a game.

But on the fourth line post-MLD level, he could play a role.

Pfft, give me an example of one game Darcy Tucker cost the Leafs if there were so many.

Domi? Yeah. Quite often a bonehead. But bubba is right, he did take a lot of coincidental penalties. He was also better than average at drawing them.

But really, SUCH a big difference between Berube's 1.71 non fighting Pim pretty game and Domi's 2.01, right?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
4th liner Jeff Halpern, C. Steady, solid citizen who is strong all around, decent offensively, a good penalty killer and a good leader.
And spare Marty McInnis, F. McInnis played LW, RW and C for approximately equal portions of his career. Good at everything, great at nothing, bad at nothing except faceoffs. At the A level, can fill in anywhere but first line C. 5th highest all-time scorer remaining, 7th highest all-time adjusted ES scorer remaining, and a very frequent penalty killer too.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Pfft, give me an example of one game Darcy Tucker cost the Leafs if there were so many.

Domi? Yeah. Quite often a bonehead. But bubba is right, he did take a lot of coincidental penalties. He was also better than average at drawing them.

But really, SUCH a big difference between Berube's 1.71 non fighting Pim pretty game and Domi's 2.01, right?

Domi won a playoff series for the Leafs by drawing penalties.

Did anyone draft Ricard Persson?

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
The Cape Cod Cubs select:
coach Josef Augusta, winner of 3 straight World Championships while at the helm, and also inducted into the Czech Hockey Hall of Fame as a builder.

augusta.png

IIHF site - Augusta rated 4th in "TOP 10 new millennium coaches". said:
4. Josef Augusta (Czech Republic)

In the 1970s, international hockey fans knew Josef Augusta as the skilled left wing who paired with future IIHF Hall of Famer XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX on a top scoring line for Czechoslovakia. That duo continued its success behind the bench for the Czech Republic during the magical World Championship run of 1999 to 2001.

Each year, the Czechs took gold with Augusta holding the reins, advised by XXXXXXXX. The formula stayed the same: a relentless commitment to suffocating team defence, opportunistic scoring, and a roster featuring a sprinkling of NHL stars plus a heavy dose of Czech Extraliga veterans. Only after a disappointing quarterfinal loss to Russia at the 2002 Worlds would Augusta step aside.

Last edited:

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
With the 2nd selection we round out the top 6 forwards with right winger Vlastimil Bubnik, a Czech and IIHF Hall of Famer.

1300267603_bubnik_vlastimil1.jpg

- Czech Hockey Hall of Fame
- IIHF Hall of Fame 1997
11x Czechoslovak Extraliga Champion (54/55, 55/56, 56/57, 57/58, 59/60, 60/61, 61/62, 62/63, 63/64, 64/65, 65/66)
- Captain of HC Kometa Brno for 12 straight seasons
1x European Cup Champion 65/66
1x Spengler Cup Champion 54/55
1x Olympic Bronze Medal 63/64
1x World Championship Silver Medal 60/61
2x World Championship Bronze Medal 54/55, 62/63
- World Championship Best Forward 60/61
- World Championship Most Goals 54/55

300 CZECH Extraliga goals in 304 games, (1.47 points/game)
33 points in 30 OLYMPIC Games
52 points / 37 goals in 33 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP games, (121 goals in 127 total INTERNATIONAL games)

Excellent BillyShoes1721 player bio

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
4th liner Jeff Halpern, C. Steady, solid citizen who is strong all around, decent offensively, a good penalty killer and a good leader.
I had totally overlooked him! There's a guy who I admired in a Bottom-6 role. He ought to be an elite checker in a Bottom-6 role at this level, and decent at a AA or AAA level, especially if you base your opinion on his first 10 years in the NHL, not his last 3 or 4.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Oberhausen selects:

RW Chris Clark - gritty winger who captained the Capitals from 2006 to 2009. A low scorer who miraculously scored 30 goals in 06-07 and then never played a full season again due to injuries.

C Greg Johnson - a consistent checking centre with great speed who will anchor my speed line of Polis-Johnson-Andersson. Never hit 20 goals, but consistently hit double digits and was a short-handed threat. He captained the Predators from 2002 to 2006.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Oberhausen selects:

RW Chris Clark - gritty winger who captained the Capitals from 2006 to 2009. A low scorer who miraculously scored 30 goals in 06-07 and then never played a full season again due to injuries.

C Greg Johnson - a consistent checking centre with great speed who will anchor my speed line of Polis-Johnson-Andersson. Never hit 20 goals, but consistently hit double digits and was a short-handed threat. He captained the Predators from 2002 to 2006.

definitely two good guys to squeeze in at the end here considering their captain status. Johnson was also one of the higher scorers left and a penalty killer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00