The Single-A Draft (ROSTER post, picks, everything)

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Orlando owes 4 picks so here we go:

Defenseman Darren Veitch

darrenveitch.jpg

Legends Of Hockey:

A trade to Detroit on March 10, 1986 boosted Veitch's career. There were some initial troubles with learning Red Wings coach Jacques Demers system. Once that was settled the statistics rose again and, more importantly, the Red Wings won more games.

Right Winger Simon Nolet

simon-nolet-1970-71-o-pee-chee-194.jpg

Right-winger Simon Nolet enjoyed a solid NHL career than spanned nearly 600 games in parts of ten seasons. He was a fine puck handler who could supply offense, but he was also capable of killing penalties and shadowing the top scorers on the opposition.

Goalie Tim Cheveldae

front.jpg

A 1992 All Star and the leader in wins by a goalie in 1991-1992 Cheveldae has 3 30 win seasons to his credit.

Left Winger Scott Pellerin

2008mar18_3.jpg

Legeneds Of Hockey:

Pellerin's first real break came when he signed as a free agent with the St. Louis Blues in 1996-97. After a brief minor-league stint, he caught on as a full-time NHLer. He did so by establishing himself as a solid, two-way player who could perform at all three forward positions. He also made himself useful as a diligent forechecker who could chip in with timely offense.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Alexander Vinogradov D

1947 Soviet All Star Team
1948 Soviet All Star Team
1949 Soviet All Star Team
1950 Soviet All Star Team
1951 Soviet All Star Team
1952 Soviet All Star Team

38 Goals in 130 Soviet League Games

Vladimir Nikanorov D

3 Time Soviet League Champion CSKA Moscow: 1948, 1949, 1950

My research indicates that Vladimir Nikanorov and Alexander Vinogradov were a pairing in real life during early Soviet Team matches and will anchor my third pairing.

The country had just endured it’s most difficult war and it was taken for granted that nobody had a right to demean the country’s high post-war prestige. The results of these games were well known. The Soviets won the first game 6-3, lost the second 3-5 and played a 2-2 draw in the last match. Every game was visited by nearly 30 000 people. The first line of team USSR was built by Red Army players. Defensemen Vladimir Nikanorov and Alexander Vinogradov........ forming the first unit in Soviet hockey history

http://www.russianrocket.de/History/hauptteil_history.html

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Why, and,... oh, why?

Johansson is my 4th line center, a character guy who's a Swedish Hockey HoFer and a 7 time SEL champion.

Apparently, (from what little I've found so far), he is a guy who is unafraid of anything and goes to the net and is a bit of a battler who plays cleanly. Besides, I like his pic in Elite Prospects, looks like a complete wingnut, he should do well with Domi, 2/3s of an energy line.

Sometimes you put the stats aside (cough*) and go with your gut instinct.

1f826b3da4932315908cc2506d199ef3.jpg

CTR
shoots: left
6'2' / 200 lbs / born: June 07, 1941 in Sundsvall , Sweden

SHL - 234 games / 139 goals / 79 assists / 218 points / 0.93 PtPG / 86 PIMs
playoffs - 67 games / 8 goals / 15 assists / 23 points / 0.34 PtPG / 6 PIMs
INTL - 41 games / 12 goals / 1 assists / 13 points / 0.29 PtPG / 2 PIMs
OLY - 8 games / 0 goals / 1 assist / 1 point / 0.13 / 2 PIMs

Swedish Ishockeys Hockey Hall of Fame #50 (2012)
7x Swedish Champion (63/64, 65/66, 66/67, 67/68, 69/70, 70/71, 71/72)
1x SILVER Medal OLYMPICS (64)

Swedish Hockey Legends said:
[Google translation]
Get Swedish athletes have had such an indomitable will, joy and been so principled that Lennart Johansson, "Tiger" called. He grew up in the Beauty Mountain outside Sundsvall. He began with football and bandy, but was more taken by the hockey where there was more energy, according to him. He debuted in Heffners IF's junior, became the top scorer in Division 3, and was soon known as "Heffners Tumba" in the local media. After a two-year spell in Wifsta / Östrand he came 1962 to Brynäs IF, a club he was faithful to the rest of his career.

The great Center was no skating virtuoso, but he always worked hard to improve his skating. His strength was above all he never lost the spark in their game. Tiger rugged style of play and his role as instigator and leader of people were storms qualities in both club teams and national teams. The Tiger was domptören and the inspiration that left no one indifferent.

It only became 34 A-internationals was largely due to the fact that he had the misfortune to play in the national team while the stunning cents esters Sven Tumba, "Akka" Andersson and "Nisse" Nilsson.
The hard pace workout in Brynäs in the early 60s took Tiger perfectly and managed to win no less than seven National Championships as a player and a coach for the club.

Bobby Bystrom (Legendary Swedish sports journalist) said:
[Google Translation]
"His public success is not least because he is a brilliant fighter in the best sense and as we know love the world a fighter. But he also bears great game technical qualifications and in him finds a cemented like, well trimmed muscles and exquisitely disciplined puck talent . "

The legendary Brynäsgatan player Lennart "Tiger" Johansson has died age of 69, writes Gävle Dagblad. Lennart "Tiger" Johansson was one of the players who did Brynäsgatan to the biggest club in Swedish hockey at 60 - and 70's, he was with and took seven championships with Brynäsgatan between 1962 and 1972 and silver in the Olympic Games in Innsbruck in 1964. Brynäsgatan will wear black armbands during the match on Tuesday. - Brynas IF's sympathy goes to Lennart Johansson's family, writing club on his website.

Old School Hockey said:
- Per-HÃ¥kan Asplund in Sundsvall newspaper wrote the following after Heffners series victory:
"The big star is 17-year-old giant baby Lennart" Tiger "Johansson, who won supreme scorer and regarded as one of Medelpads biggest promises."

- "Tiger" Johansson was a success in the Premier League and was named Swedish Hockey's greatest finds in years. Already in October 1960, he is also the chance of the Tre Kronor.

Q: You played the Olympics in 1964 but somewhat surprisingly, so did you just 39 A-internationals.
- Then they were only playing with two backpar and three chains. Over the years, it was about the same players in all matches. I was center as well as Sven Tumba, XXXX XXXXXXXX and "Nisse" Nilsson. Of the four of us, I was the worst, so it was not much play in the national team for me.

- The moral SM-final was played in the fifth inning when Brynäsgatan traveled to Leksand for the match for the more than 12,000 spectators. Brynäsgatan win 4-2 and "Tiger" is responsible for the 4-1 goal. Despite several clashes between "tiger" and Leksand "cowboy" XXXs XXXXXXX ended neither of the two in the penalty box.

Q: "Tiger" you're Swedish champion with Brynas IF both as a player and leader. Which is bigger?
- The first gold as a player, I won then in 1964 and it was absolutely the greatest. The sensation beats everything. Then, they were obviously great to win multiple championships as an added bonus, laughing "Tiger". As a leader, I won the first gold in 1967 and the last in 1980, but it's not the same thing as being players. After all the players on the ice that have to do the job.

Old School Hockey feature

Fokus said:
Of the many remarkable stories about the hockey team Brynäsgatan IF is one of the most remarkable from in 1967. The club had recruited goalkeeper XXXXXXXX and he made his debut in a cup match in Finland. He did good. Very good.

Brynäsgatan did lots of goals and XXXXXXXXX looked to keep a clean sheet. When he who best stood småmyste the thought he saw a player with the number 4 on the back of their team get the puck and go down on him. Perhaps to make the time go? Maybe to wait for any change? Suddenly small it and the puck was behind XXXXXXXXX.

He stared. Your teammates stared. Opponents stared. The crowd stared. The judge stared, fumbled with his pipe and blew the goal. Meds Pillar glided slow until XXXXXXXX and said "you should not think that you get shutouts in the first match."

Meds column was Lennart »Tiger« Johansson.

RUNtigern-440x314.jpg

14345309_original.jpg

Last edited:

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Why, and,... oh, why?

Thomas Eriksson was oft injured and didn't play as tough as he might've during his time with the Flyers. That being said, he still put up some decent numbers.

It's after he came back to Sweden, I read in a bio, that he started to assert himself more physically, one time leading the SEL in penalties as well a year where he lead all defensemen with goals, points and playoff points.

He played in 3 Olympics, 5 WCs and is a 4 time SEL champion.

He'll be paired with either Horesovsky or Dukowski on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.....maybe Abelin.

thomas_eriksson.jpg

NHL 208 games / 22 goals / 76 assists / 98 points / 0.47 points per game / 97 PIMs / +43
SEL 500 games / 124 goals / 144 assists / 268 points / 0.54 points per game / 767 PIMs

- Olympic Bronze Medal 79/80, 83/84, 87/88
- World Championship Silver Medal 89/90
- World Championship Bronze Medal 78/79
- U20 WJC Bronze Medal 78/79
- Canada Cup Runner-Up 83/84
- Elitserien Champion 82/83, 88/89, 89/90, 90/91
- Elitserien SM-silver Medal 78/79, 91/92
- Elitserien Most Goals by Defenseman 90/91
- Elitserien Most Penalized Player 89/90
- Elitserien Most Points by Defenseman Playoffs 90/91
- NHL All-Rookie Team 83/84

- His number 27 is retired by Djurgårdens IF.

Old School Hockey said:
Q: During your years in the NHL, who did you play most often with next to you on the back lot?
- There were many different actually but the one I played the most with was probably Brad Marsh. We had Mike Keenan as coach then and he drove mostly with four runs. Be among the four, you got a huge amount of playing time. But did you end up outside the team were extremely hard to get back into.

Q: Did you feel finished with the NHL when you returned home in 1986?
- Absolutely not, but I could stay longer there if it was not for coach Mike Keenan. It is notoriously more players than I thought he was rather strange, to put it mildly. Now I was not shortlisted as one scapegoat by Keenan but I did not waste my time as a hockey player in him. I got my worst injury in his career that season also when I broke kneecap after I got a shot that hit there. It even waited a long rehab for me and that together made it fitting to return home to the park at the time.

Q: Was it not timely to trejdas to another NHL club?
- Just as Djurgården Djurgården has always been for me here in Sweden so was Philadelphia Philadelphia always gone in the NHL. I did not play in any other team simply. So Keenan, the damage and the Pelle made the decision easy to take.

Joe Pelletier said:
The Flyers drafted Eriksson in the fifth round, 98th overall in the 1979 NHL Entry Draft. They rushed Eriksson over too early, bring both him and Pelle Lindbergh overseas, and even moving popular veteran Moose Dupont to Quebec because they thought Eriksson would be ready. He spent most of the 1980-81 season in the minor leagues, and then after a single game with the Flyers in 1981-82 he was granted the right to return home to Sweden. He was home sick and clearly not mentally ready for life in the NHL and life in North America in general.

After a couple of strong seasons back with Djurgarden, Eriksson would return to Philadelphia for the 1983-84 season, feeling "older, wiser" and better prepared for life away from home.

Eriksson would spend the next three seasons playing as a depth defenseman with the Flyers until a knee injury cost him the remainder of the 1986 season. That would prove to be his final game in the National Hockey League.

Interestingly, Eriksson returned home to Sweden and that is when he really solidified his reputation as a dominant and physical defenseman in the SEL. He returned Djurgarden to the championship title three years in a row in 1989, 1990 and 1991, just like he did previously back in 1983. Not surprisingly, Djurgarden retired his #27 when his playing career was over.

He also helped the Swedish national team to the 1990 World Championship silver medal, his best finish in four attempts at that tournament.

Eriksson also twice represented Team Sweden at the Canada Cup (1981 and 1984) and at the Olympics (1980 and 1988). He helped Sweden with the bronze at both Olympic games.

000305182.jpg

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
For my day 10 picks:
I’d rather take 4 spare players and no assistant coach as opposed to 3 and an assistant. But, I can’t take the chance that this guy goes without getting selected: Paul Thompson, Coach.
Thompson only had a record of 104-127-41 and 7-12 in the playoffs, but was considered an impactful coach by observers, winning the 1st all-star team spot in 1940 thanks to the drastic improvement he inspired in the Hawks. In 1942 he made the 2nd team, and in 1943 and 1944 he made the 3rd team with significant votes. In 1945 he was a distant 3rd, but I’m not sure how he got any votes at all with a record of 0-1-0.
A coach with this kind of award recognition simply has to be recognized by the time we’re at pick #1900.
I’ll also take Brent Gilchrist, C/LW to play on the 3rd line. Gilchrist was an 800 game, 300 point player who was solid all-around, a decent penalty killer and a reasonable ES scorer. Gilchrist was a part of some really strong teams (13% better than average), almost never missed the playoffs and went to round 2 six times, winning one cup with the 1998 Red Wings. He usually played against the opposition’s best players and earned a solid 7th in Selke voting in 1992 for his efforts. He alternated between LW and C his whole career and his hockey cards frequently note his superb defensive play.
Look how sneaky he was:
Brent%2BGilchrist%2B259%2B1991-92%2BScore.jpg

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Two things…
1.*** My Gary Sabourin pick was missed on day 7. It was in the same post in which I tried to take Uvarov, whom resilientbeast had just taken minutes before. As a result you have me a pick behind. Bieksa should be day 8 and McInnis day 9.
2.*** Resilientbeast took Laraque in the AA. Considering he wasn’t even that good a pick in the AA (sorry!) I don’t think anyone realized or mentioned that Laraque was actually selected in the ATD. So beast actually has to go to the AA thread right away and make the final pick of the AA draft. Unfortunately, the 140 players taken so far in the A draft are ineligible.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Two things…
1.*** My Gary Sabourin pick was missed on day 7. It was in the same post in which I tried to take Uvarov, whom resilientbeast had just taken minutes before. As a result you have me a pick behind. Bieksa should be day 8 and McInnis day 9.
2.*** Resilientbeast took Laraque in the AA. Considering he wasn’t even that good a pick in the AA (sorry!) I don’t think anyone realized or mentioned that Laraque was actually selected in the ATD. So beast actually has to go to the AA thread right away and make the final pick of the AA draft. Unfortunately, the 140 players taken so far in the A draft are ineligible.

Ahahaha alright will do later.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It's a new record for the longest time between a pick being made and someone realizing it was invalid for sure.

(Her)Bert Russell from 3 years ago would have to be next. Remember that one?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It's alright I have a couple replacements in mind, and honestly I think that team is probably the worst out of three I constructed so far.

I really really excited about my team in the A draft though.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Alexander Vinogradov D

Vladimir Nikanorov D

My research indicates that Vladimir Nikanorov and Alexander Vinogradov were a pairing in real life during early Soviet Team matches and will anchor my third pairing.

I absolutely love these picks. I don't think these guys have ever been drafted before and I have a soft sot for early European players. Hence. my Harry Mellups pick earlier.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Alexander Vinogradov D

Vladimir Nikanorov D

I absolutely love these picks. I don't think these guys have ever been drafted before and I have a soft sot for early European players. Hence. my Harry Mellups pick earlier.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Czechoslovakians were superior to the Soviets in the late 40's. Pay homage to the fallen in the suspicious plane crash if anybody from that time and place.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Rocky Mountain Rage selects Dennis Ververgaert, the two-time NHL all-star game right winger (1976, 1978) who scored 392 points in 583 NHL games played.

87bebff3-b090-46e3-9a76-b10cee01b2d1.jpg

He is best known for his time with the Vancouver Canucks, where he was one of the club's top players in their first decade of existence.

Blessed with size and skill together with a booming shot, Ververgaert was thought to have the potential to be the first true star player in the history of the young franchise.

In his first NHL season, Ververgaert didn't disappoint, stepping straight into the Canucks' roster and recording a team-leading 26 goals along with 31 assists for 57 points. He led all rookies in goals and was second in points to Tom Lysiak, and finished 4th in Calder Trophy voting as the league's top rookie. His 26 goals remained the Canuck rookie record until broken by Trevor Linden in 1988–89.

In 1974–75 Ververgaert was even better, recording 51 points in 57 games despite missing substantial time due to a serious shoulder injury. His production was a key factor in the team's improvement, as they won their division and made the playoffs for the first time. He would have his finest season in 1975–76, leading the Canucks with 37 goals and 71 points. He was also selected to play in his first NHL All-Star Game and proceeded to score two goals in 10 seconds to set an All-Star record, since broken by Owen Nolan.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Rocky Mountain Rage selects Jiri Dopita, the Czechoslovakian whose later-career NHL totals are decidedly lacklustre, his earlier years at home in the Czech Extraliga and more importantly internationally makes him more than worthy of selection here. Along with the Olympic triumph, Dopita was also a part of 3 World Championship teams, part of a stretch that saw Dopita win 5 WC medals (3 gold, 2 bronze) in 6 years.

519308-img-sport-hokej-reprezentace-dopita-crop.jpg

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Orlando selects defenseman Ron Harris

84711.jpg

A rough and tumble defenseman Harris was also versatile and could play wing.

Right Winger Mike Johnson

image.php

With 375 points in 661 career games Johnson should add offense to the Solar Bear's 4th line.

Last edited:

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
The Cape Cod Cubs select:
defenseman / right winger Roger Jenkins

photo.php

NHL 325 games / 15 goals / 39 assists / 54 points / 0.17 points per game / 253 PIMs
NHL Playoffs 25 games / 1 goals / 7 assists / 8 points / 0.32 points per game / 12 PIMs
PCHL 184 games / 43 goals / 85 assists / 128 points / 0.70 points per game / 255 PIMs
PCHL Playoffs 14 games / 3 goals / 8 assists / 11 points / 0.79 points per game / 22 PIMs
AHL 168 games / 24 goals / 80 assists / 104 points / 0.62 points per game / 281 PIMs
AHL Playoffs 26 games / 5 goals / 7 assists / 12 points / 0.46 points per game / 28 PIMs

- AHL First All-Star Team 1942/43
- AHL PIMs - (1st) 1941/42 \\\ (2nd) 1942/43 \\\ (3rd) 1940/41
- PCHL PIMs - (6th) 1947/48
- NHL PIMs - (7th) 1934/35

- Played GK for 1 game, replacing injured NY Americans Earl Robertson in the 2nd period 3/18/39

Legends of Hockey said:
Roger Jenkins played right wing and defence for six different NHL teams in the 1930s. He was also an accomplished player in senior hockey and the minor pro leagues. He was best known for his hard-hitting work on the blueline and his ability to handle the puck.

Born in Appleton, Wisconsin, "Broadway" Jenkins played junior with the Port Arthur team that lost the 1927 Memorial Cup final to the Owen Sound Greys. He later closed out his amateur career with the junior Edmonton Imperials in 1929-30. The next year he was signed as a free agent by the Chicago Black Hawks and recorded a single assist in ten games. Partway through the year he was loaned to the Toronto Maple Leafs and suited up for 21 games.

After spending a year with the Bronx Tigers of the CanAm League in 1931-32, Jenkins became an NHL regular for the rest of the decade. He proved to be a solid player who could check and contribute offensively. Jenkins was a consistent performer on the Chicago Black Hawks' first Stanley Cup team in 1934 and was on hand to help the Montreal Maroons win it all the next year. In 1938 he led all post-season players with six assists while helping Chicago win its second Stanley Cup. Following his NHL career, Jenkins played four years in the AHL and spent five years in the PCHL, one of them as a coach.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
who scored 392 points in 583 NHL games played.

stop making stat picks.

Orlando selects defenseman Ron Harris

84711.jpg

A rough and tumble defenseman Harris was also versatile and could play wing.

Right Winger Mike Johnson

image.php

With 375 points in 661 career games Johnson should add offense to the Solar Bear's 4th line.

Nice! I really wanted Harris as a spare but I wanted Paul Thompson to be selected even more, so I had to accept I was going to run out of room. Check out my 2010 Harris bio, the guy was a beast!

And Johnson was probably going to be my pick for tomorrow for 3rd line RW... I wasn't 100% sure yet.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I was really going to take a "goon" this time. I was really considering it. But there are still players out there good enough to avoid having to employ a pure goon:

Don Saleski, RW: Saleski was capable of being a goon (but the heavy goonery was left to a few others; due to his size and strength he was respected but not as "tough" as he looked) but was a decent checker on the 3rd line with Kindrachuk, a reasonable ES scorer (216 ESP), and a reasonable A level PK option (17% usage, 14% better than average results).

Little bit of a mini-bio from 2009:

RW Don Saleksi

1977Topps233.jpg

- 6'3", 205 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1974, 1975)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1976)
- A decent 30 points in 82 playoff games

Joe Pelletier said:
Saleski was one of the famed Broad Street Bullies. Along with Bob "Hound Dog" Kelly, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz, and "Moose" Dupont, Saleski was one of the noted goons on a team that knew no rule book. Nicknamed "Big Bird" because his wild hair reminded many of the Sesame Street character, Saleski would be sure to enter upon or create any fracas involving another Flyers player, whether it was necessary or not. Any fracas included with fans, which in 1976 got him charged in Toronto, though nothing ever came of the charges.

...Even on the ice Saleski wasn't nearly as bad as his reputation. He only had 629 PIMs in 543 NHL games, and after his first season or two he curtailed his fighting, largely because he wasn't that good at it. Schultz suggested in his autobiography by calling him " a big sonofagun who couldn't fight very well but would throw his weight around" and "he had this wild-man routine to make himself more scary than he really was."

He was a 20 goal scorer who was utilized as a shutdown winger. Often teamed with center Orest Kindrachuk, he was often assigned the task of controlling top wingers on the other team.

“I never considered myself a tough guy. I was more of an instigator. I caused a lot of problems and Dave Shultz would finish them off. I was competitive and wanted to win, so I did whatever I could to help the team,” he told philadelphiaflyers.com.

..."When I think of memories I think of the team and how we had a common vision. We supported each other and we really had this bond. We still do. I don’t see the guys that often, but when we do see each other there is the feeling of excitement. It is almost like a brotherhood.”

The Greatest Players and Moments of the Philadelphia Flyers said:
Saleski provided that intangible link between the Dave Schultz-Bob Kelly truculence and the high-skill performers like Rick MacLeish and Bill Barber. Plus, he was a winner. "the success Don had was due to his willingness to work," said Bobby Clarke. "He put an effort toward what he wanted and was willing to do anything to achieve his goals."... By the end of the 1974-75 season Saleski's teammates rated him the best defensive forward... "He was tireless," said Clarke. "Big, heavy, great in the corners. You didn't always notice him but he was always out there, going up and down the ice, doing his job, helping us win games."

Philadelphia Flyers Encyclopedia said:
In later years, Saleski made the transition from a fighter to a consistent penalty killer and he could score as well. In 1976, the Flyers did not have the luxury akin to the previous two years of sweeping the first round. Instead, it was a much tougher 7-game battle with Toronto, and Saleski provided a very timely hat trick in the pivotal fifth game.

Lindy Ruff, LW/D: I completely planned to take Ruff as a spare because of his proven multi-positionality. But it came time to draft a 4th line LW and I wanted someone rough-and-tumble with reasonable skills, and I realized, why the hell not Ruff?

After all, he did score 300 points despite playing on defense half the time. And collect 1264 PIMs.

from 2011 bio:

Lindy Ruff, LW/D

lindy_ruff.jpg

Ruff is another player whose career path can be described in almost the exact same way that Dandenault's was, although they were very different players. I could almost use the exact same wording:

Ruff was hockey's 2nd last true swingman, able to switch seamlessly from forward to defense multiple times, on a regular basis throughout his career. He played 12 seasons, and in just two of them he was exclusively a D-man, and in just four he was exclusively a forward. The other six were very mixed.

Using TOI estimates from 1980-1991, I can tell you Ruff played 691 NHL games and 10,299 minutes for a total of 15.82 minutes a game.

If you view him as a forward, his 300 career points look pretty poor for a guy playing 15.82 minutes. And if you view him as a defenseman, his 15.82 minutes a game look pretty poor, even on a strong team like the Sabres. (who were 8% better than average throughout his career) But he had two separate careers that occurred at the same time, one as a forward and one as a defenseman, and neither were poor.

With Iain Fyffe's help, using information provided to me by Buffalo fans, the TOI file that I often refer to, positions listed on hockey-reference.com, the total GP by other Buffalo defensemen in each season, and various statistical indicators (shooting percentage, assists per goal, TOI and points per on-ice goal) I was able to piece this together just about as well as anyone could:

Year | GP | min | min/GP | Pts | F GP | F min | F min/GP | F Pts | D GP | D min | D min/GP | D Pts
1980 | 63 | 965 | 15.32 | 19 | 0 | 0 | #DIV/0! | 0 | 63 | 965 | 15.32 | 19
1981 | 65 | 941 | 14.48 | 26 | 35 | 420 | 12.00 | 18 | 30 | 521 | 17.38 | 8
1982 | 79 | 1458 | 18.45 | 48 | 30 | 420 | 14.00 | 25 | 49 | 1038 | 21.18 | 23
1983 | 60 | 858 | 14.31 | 29 | 30 | 330 | 11.00 | 20 | 30 | 528 | 17.61 | 9
1984 | 58 | 961 | 16.58 | 45 | 58 | 961 | 16.57 | 45 | 0 | 0 | #DIV/0! | 0
1985 | 39 | 605 | 15.52 | 24 | 39 | 605 | 15.51 | 24 | 0 | 0 | #DIV/0! | 0
1986 | 54 | 841 | 15.57 | 32 | 54 | 841 | 15.57 | 32 | 0 | 0 | #DIV/0! | 0
1987 | 50 | 850 | 17.00 | 20 | 15 | 210 | 14.00 | 8 | 35 | 640 | 18.29 | 12
1988 | 77 | 1325 | 17.20 | 25 | 0 | 0 | #DIV/0! | 0 | 77 | 1325 | 17.20 | 25
1989 | 76 | 1345 | 17.70 | 22 | 10 | 120 | 12.00 | 6 | 66 | 1225 | 18.56 | 16
1990 | 56 | 687 | 12.27 | 9 | 48 | 540 | 11.25 | 8 | 8 | 147 | 18.42 | 1
1991 | 14 | 92 | 6.55 | 1 | 14 | 92 | 6.57 | 1 | 0 | 0 | #DIV/0! | 0
Career | 691 | 10928.797 | 15.82 | 300 | 333 | 4539 | 13.63 | 187 | 358 | 6389 | 17.85 | 113

So Ruff played 333 games as a 13.63 minute LW, scoring 187 points (45 per 80 games) and 358 games as a 17.85 minute defenseman, scoring 113 points (25 per 82 games).

Either career, taken separately, would not be that impressive. But they happened at the same time, to the same player.

In other words, if Ruff was never converted to LW, it's reasonable to conclude he may have lasted the same 691 games and scored 218 points as an 18-minute D-man. If he had that career, he'd be likely drafted by now, when you consider that he did it mostly in the #4-6 slot on one of the strongest teams in the league, on average 8% better than average. Imagine a 691-game, 18 minute, 218-point scoring defenseman from the 80s who was big and tough. Would you have picked him by now? Of course you would have!

On the other hand, if he played his whole 691-game career as a 13.63 minute LW, scoring 388 points, while being big, tough, and ready to brawl, that would make him a poor man's Curt Fraser, Randy Burridge, Bill Flett, or a better Sergio Momesso or Garry Howatt. Imagine a 691-game, 14 minute, 388-point scoring LW from the 80s who was big and tough. Would you have picked him by now? Of course you would have!

The fact that he seamlessly interweaved these two careers into one is a positive for Ruff, not a negative. But the impact it makes on his blended career numbers, if you ignore the context, appears negative, and that's why he hasn't been drafted to be a serviceable AAA/AA/A spare player. He should have been.

Ruff was 6'2", 201 lbs, and fought 108 times in the NHL. The results of 43 of these fights are documented, and his record is listed as 8-22-13, so... at least he was willing! Here are some quotes from those who remember him as a fighter at www.dropyourgloves.com:

Belongs in the Jim Peplinski, Wally Weir category of players: not the greatest fighter, but tough and gutsy and a good teammate... Rarely shied away from the top fighters, which perhaps he should have, considering the results... was entertaining fighter...
sabresalumni.com said:
Lindy Ruff had a reputation as a rough, tough defenseman while skating for the Lethbridge Broncos of the WCJHL from 1977 to 1979. He appeared headed for draft-day greatness until he broke his thighbone during his final year of junior. As such, many clubs backed off from the idea of picking up the big rearguard, classifying him as an unknown commodity.

The Buffalo Sabres, however, chose defenseman Mike Ramsey in the first round and then took what they considered to be a chance on Ruff in the next round. And their risk paid dividends when, at the start of the 1979-80 campaign, Sabre defenders Jerry Korab and Jim Schoenfeld went down with injuries. Ruff jumped onto the Sabres' blueline as an underager and made such an impression that he earned himself a permanent NHL job for the next 12 seasons.

The team's management was immediately impressed with Ruff's leadership qualities and his willingness to step his game up, particularly on a physical level when the club wasn't performing well. In 1983-84, he was moved up to play three seasons of left wing. After a time, he couldn't decide which position he liked best, the blueline or a forward line. Ultimately he claims to have enjoyed the variety of both worlds.

Near the end of Ruff's tenure with the Sabres, he was appointed the team's captain. He continued his strong leadership and solid defensive play until his trade to the New York Rangers in 1989. With the Rangers, Ruff patrolled the blueline until age and injuries slowed him down. In 1991-92, he got his first and final ticket to the minors where he skated for the Rochester Americans of the AHL and the San Diego Gulls of the IHL where he retired in 1993.

Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1986-87 said:
Ruff is an average skater, pretty much just cruising up and down the ice, though he does get a little jump into his first couple of strides. He is not a good puckhandler and really has no vision of the ice and when he goes into a corner he has not anticipated what he will do with the puck if he wins it. Ruff will never blow you away with his shot and is unlikely to score from any place other than the edge of the crease. He picks up rebounds and shovels them home and is also good for a deflection or two.

Lindy is a conscientious backchecker, very concerned with his defensive play and disciplined enough to stay on his wing and not create any openings by leaving the zone too soon. He is aided in the defensive zone by his experience as a defenseman and understands what angles are all about so as to keep his man from the puck.

The physical game - Ruff is. He's big and strong and wills tand in the crease and dare a defenseman to move him. Ruff will bang around effectively in the corners, hitting hard enough and often enough to jar the puck loose from opposing defensemen. He is aggressive and will take pokes at people if need be, as he is unafraid to fight. Ruff also applies himself physically in the defensive zone, where he will rub out an opposing winger along the boards.

He's a good leader, showing the way by example and doing whatever is necessary on the ice. Ruff is also versatile and his ability to play defense gives the sabres a little added flexibility with the lineup.

Lindr Ruff lives up to his name. He is a big, rough, tough type of player.

Hockey Scouting Report 1989-90 said:
10 tough seasons and their attendant injuries have slowed Ruff down... if he wins the puck during a foray into the corner, the bet Ruff will do with it is a blind pass to the slot... is aggressive and will take pokes at people when he has to stand up for the team... injury record is a direct result of his play, rather than an indication of any fragility on his part. Ruff counters the injury problem by staying in great condition... a great team player, and he knows when it's necessary to assume leadership in the locker room or on the ice so as to produce the best effect for the club... Ruff also helps himself stay around through his versatility, his ability to play either forward or defense as required... Hard work is all he knows.

There was no player out there with more points and PIMs right now. The most prolific scorer among players with more PIMs had 247 points. And the most PIMs anyone with more points had, was 1245. I could have taken him as a spare, but he was the right choice as a 4th line starter.

2011 bio: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=42780003&postcount=117

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia