The Single-A Draft (ROSTER post, picks, everything)

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Left Winger Paul Ranheim

10725-31Fr.jpg

Legends Of Hockey:

In 1988-89, Ranheim turned pro, playing most of his first season with the Salt Lake City Golden Eagles of the IHL. His second year brought a full-time promotion to the NHL with the Flames. By that time, he was definitely NHL material. Over the five seasons that followed, he played a well-rounded game balanced by impeccably sound defensive coverage in his own zone plus versatility up front as a quick-skating winger who could skate on either side of centre. He also packed a pretty decent wrist shot that made his Flames' stint the most offensively prolific of his career.

Coach Claude Ruel

62ruel.jpg

Boasting a career record of 172-82-51 Ruel also has a Stanley Cup title on his resume.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Rocky Mountain Rage selects Dave Dryden, the goaltender who was 5th in NHL goals against in 1972-73, played in the 1974 NHL all-star game and was the 1979 WHA MVP, Best Goaltender, and 1st Team All-Star.

1974O-Pee-CheeWHA20.jpg

Sabres Legends said:
While Dave never came close to the fame that Ken would reach, he did enjoy 4 solid seasons in Buffalo. He even played in the 1973-74 NHL All Star Game.

By 1974 Dave jumped to the World Hockey Association. He played one years with the Chicago Cougars before joining the Edmonton Oilers in 1975. He would remain with the Oilers throughout the remainder of his career. The Oilers have always had great goaltending, and Dave was one of the earliest goaltending stars. He was especially hot in 1978-79 when he led the WHA with 41 wins in 63 appearances and a 2.89 GAA. In what proved to be the final season for the fledgling league, Dave was named as the WHA's top goalie and league MVP.

The following season, 1979-80, the Oilers merged with the NHL. Dryden was protected by the Oilers but only played in 14 games before calling it quits. He finished the year as Glen Sather's assistant coach.

Dave played in 203 NHL games, with a 66-76-31 record and a career GAA of 3.19. He picked up 112 wins in 242 WHA contests as well.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Rocky Mountain Rage selects 6'4 217 lbs. Kari Lehtonen, the highest drafted netminder ever at 2nd overall in 2002 after three world junior medals and playoff MVP of the top Finn league at age 19 following that league's top goaltender in the regular season. He won silver at the 2004 World Cup and again backstopped Finland to the final in the 2007 world championships, named tourney top goalie. Lehtonen has had a .914 career save percentage (14th highest all time in the NHL) over 414 games of a 10-year NHL career backstopping nonplayoff teams in Atlanta and Dallas.

Lehtonen_TimShahan-on-Flickr1.jpg

The Hockey News said:
Has excellent size and handles the puck extremely well. Is extremely quick and agile, challenges shooters, covers most of the net thanks to size and is a confident 'keeper when at his best.

Last edited:

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Rocky Mountain Rage selects 6'4 217 lbs. Kari Lehtonen, the highest drafted netminder ever at 2nd overall in 2002 after three world junior medals and playoff MVP of the top Finn league at age 19 following that league's top goaltender in the regular season. He won silver at the 2004 World Cup and again backstopped Finland to the final in the 2007 world championships, named tourney top goalie. Lehtonen has had a .914 career save percentage (14th highest all time in the NHL) over 414 games of a 10-year NHL career backstopping nonplayoff teams in Atlanta and Dallas.

Lehtonen_TimShahan-on-Flickr1.jpg
Damn, he was one of two GKs I wanted.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
The Cape Cod Cubs select:

left wing Jiri Kochta

jiri_kochta_1_003.jpg

- Czech Hockey Hall of Fame
- World Championship Gold Medal 71/72
- World Championship Silver Medal 70/71, 73/74, 74/75
- World Championship Bronze Medal 69/70, 72/73
- Olympic Silver Medal 67/68
- Olympic Bronze Medal 71/72
- European Championships Bronze 66/67
- Czechoslovak Extraliga Championship 66/67, 67/68
- Czechoslovak Extraliga Most Points 69/70
- Czechoslovak Extraliga 1st Team All-Star 1971 / 1972
- German Bundesliga Most Assists 79/80
- German Bundesliga All-Star Team 79/80

CZECH - 348 games / 156 goals / 137 assists / 271 points / 0.78 points per game / 108 PIMs
WCs - 58 games / 19 goals / 19 assists / 38 points / 0.66 points per game / 6 PIMs
OLYMPiCS - 9 games / 5 goals / 3 assists / 8 points / 0.89 points per game / 0 PIMs (T4 scoring 1972)

Kochta participated in two Olympic tournaments in Grenoble and Sapporo, and at the World Championships in Prague in 1972 helped carve gold medals.
He played a total of 148 international games and scored 56 goals.

GOL Poll
[In 1969 a soccer and hockey weekly named Gól magazine started to conduct an annual poll among coaches, officials and journalists to determine the best Czechoslovak hockey player.]
69-70 (7th) / 70-71 (9th) / 71-72 (8th) / 72-73 (7th) / 73-74 (6th) / 74-75 (15th) / 75-76 (20th) /

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

goalkeeper Tuukka Rask

tuukka_rask_045.jpg

- NHL Vezina Trophy 13/14
- NHL All-Star Team (1st Team) 13/14
- BRONZE 2014 Olympics
- NHL Stanley Cup Champion 10/11 (backup to Tim Thomas)
- NHL Best SVS% 09/10
- AHL All-Star Game 07/08
- U20 WJC All-Star Team 05/06
- U20 WJC Best Goaltender 05/06
- U20 WJC Bronze Medal 05/06

- Named to Finland's 2014 Winter Olympics roster, his first selection.

NHL 361 games / 186 wins / 112 losses / 46 OT/SO / .924* / 2.22 / 34 shutouts / 9 assists / 16 PIMs
* (Currently leader all-time NHL save percentage for GK's with 150+ minimum games played)

NHL.com:
Assets: Covers a lot of the net, anticipates plays very well and has excellent reflexes and flexibility. This smooth, lanky butterfly goalie is ultra-competitive and can make big saves at key junctures.
Flaws: Needs to add even more bulk to his 6-3 frame in order to become a perennial workhorse starting netminder. Still needs to become stronger mentally so as to shake off bad goals in a better way.
Career Potential: Talented goaltender with good upside.

HF:
Talent Analysis
Rask is likely to develop his movement to the level of the very best in the world. Right now the butterfly goalie moves with an explosive, controlled horizontal slide while maintaining good coverage. He gets back to his feet instantly when needed. With these qualities, when on his game, he has always been able to save his team from no matter how dominant opponents. Rask's frame is decent and he shows good coverage from time to time but suffers from inconsistent technique, which he will be working on for a long time still. At this point his stamina is relatively poor, which also contributes to his inconsistency.

Future
Rask is now asserting himself as the Bruins' best goaltender as he has taken over for the departed Tim Thomas.

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Alexander Uvarov C

uvarov.jpg

Team USSR international games 23 goals in 59 games
USSR/Russian Elite League games 203 goals in 259 games

1953 USSR All Stars
1956 Olympic Gold Medal
World champion 1954, 1956.
European champion 1954–1956.
2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, 8th in Soviet League Scoring

http://www.chidlovski.net/1954/54_player_info.asp?p_id=u003

Uvarov was a noted skating wonder in bandy, so once he mastered the art of handling the puck he became a top hockey player.

Though the game was only introduced when Uvarov was already in his 20s, he was noted as an exceptional player because "he had an outstanding ability to think on the ice. He controlled the game and orchestrated play by speeding up or slowing down the pace of the game when needed. In short, he was the pace-setter."

Uvarov may have been the very first dominant center in Russia, thus setting the standard for the classic Soviet pivot - masterminding the offense with playmaking rather than goal scoring.

On the national team, Uvarov's advanced understanding of the game was utilized in another fashion. He was the defensive expert used to shutdown the top lines of the Czechs, Swedes and Canadians. Because of his unselfish play he allowed the Russians to stay in games earlier in their involvement in hockey, and later helped them win. All again without necessarily scoring the big goal himself.

All thanks to the early example set by Alexander Uvarov. He was the ultimate team player, and was acknowledge as such by serving as team captain for Moscow Dynamo for 11 years.

Uvarov scored 202 goals in 259 Soviet league games, although Dynamo only won one USSR Championship (1954). He participated in 27 games with the national team, most famously with the 1956 Olympic team that shocked the world to win gold.

http://internationalhockeylegends.blogspot.ca/2009/11/alexander-uvarov.html

Michal Rozsival, D

image.jpg

seventieslord's old bio

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
So after all those “stat picks” (LOL) I badly need some intangibles on the top 2 lines.

To fill the 1st line RW spot, I’ll take Gary Sabourin. Sabourin’s not THE most offensively potent player left, but among post-expansion guys, he’s not far off, either. Point totals of 49, 48, 48, 45, 42, percentage scores of 54, 48, 45, 42, 41, 36 (266 total). Kind of a Bill Flett without the one season spike, and with more quotes supporting his grit. He was in three Stanley Cup finals and two all-star games.

OPC 1969-70 said:
Rugged Gary Sabourin has had to work hard to make it to the NHL… never a flashy player, but he was aggressive and always willing to throw his weight around… one of the NHL’s toughest men in the corners.

OPC 1970-71 said:
He was the 2nd highest scorer for the Blues last season and his robust play helped them to the league championship.

OPC 1972-73 said:
a free-skating forward with an aggressive style…

Topps 1973-74 said:
top-flight checking forward in addition to being a consistent scoring threat. He’s a positional player, and he rarely takes an unnecessary penalty.

OPC 1973-74 said:
Gary’s a real hustler and a hard worker, making him quite popular with the fans of the Blues.

OPC 1974-75 said:
He’s a good skater and a top-notch checker, a pesty type of player who likes to keep the opposition on its toes at all times… He’s a good positional player and a good team man.

OPC 1975-76 said:
a solid, two-way player who is known as an outstanding checker.

And to center the second line I will select Alexander Uvarov, C

Definitely a little questionable based on level of competition in 1949-1960 USSR. But not really much more questionable than many others being taken in this draft. And his domestic dominance is probably greater than any other international question mark here: 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, 8th in scoring

Uvarov was already 26 when he started playing, and 31 when the Soviets entered the international scene. So he only got into 4 international tournaments, but played a key role for them despite scoring only 15 points in 27 games. His bios indicate solid all-around play, actual shutdown ability in international tournaments, and leadership (an 11-year captain). He should be a good partner for the flashier Torriani and the “just go to the net” Boyes.

Would he have made an NHL roster in his prime in the mid-1950s? Maybe, maybe not. But, we’ve already selected players who’ve proven they couldn’t, and others who didn’t get a chance in the 60s and 70s, and even players who did get a chance in the bloated 1990s-and-beyond NHL who proved to be mediocre at best (some worse!). And I’ll tell you this – the next 10 offensive modern NHL centers you may be thinking of WOULD NOT have made the 1950s NHL either!

Joe Pelletier said:
This is Alexander Uvarov, one of the earliest hockey stars in Russia.

Like most athletes new to hockey in the Soviet Union in the late 1940s, the 5'7" 160lbs Uvarov was a bandy star. Bandy was a similar game played on ice and skates, with a ball instead of a puck. Uvarov was a noted skating wonder in bandy, so once he mastered the art of handling the puck he became a top hockey player.

Though the game was only introduced when Uvarov was already in his 20s, he was noted as an exceptional player because "he had an outstanding ability to think on the ice. He controlled the game and orchestrated play by speeding up or slowing down the pace of the game when needed. In short, he was the pace-setter."

Uvarov may have been the very first dominant center in Russia, thus setting the standard for the classic Soviet pivot – masterminding the offense with playmaking rather than goal scoring. He would brilliantly set his Moscow Dynamo linemates Valentin Kuzin and Yuri Krylov free to score goals. Uvarov did not get much credit, but he often was the key reason for the goal.

On the national team, Uvarov's advanced understanding of the game was utilized in another fashion. He was the defensive expert used to shutdown the top lines of the Czechs, Swedes and Canadians. Because of his unselfish play he allowed the Russians to stay in games earlier in their involvement in hockey, and later helped them win. All again without necessarily scoring the big goal himself.

The hat-wearing Uvarov and his linemates often confused the opposition with many short passes rather than rushing the puck individually, and with criss-crossing positions. Neither tactic was common back then, and would become the foundation of Soviet hockey theory.

All thanks to the early example set by Alexander Uvarov. He was the ultimate team player, and was acknowledge as such by serving as team captain for Moscow Dynamo for 11 years.

Uvarov scored 202 goals in 259 Soviet league games, although Dynamo only won one USSR Championship (1954). He participated in 27 games with the national team, most famously with the 1956 Olympic team that shocked the world to win gold.

Kings Of the Ice said:
"He had speed, a smooth skating style and stamina... quickly mastered the art of handling the puck... had all the requirements - speed, technique, powerful shots on goal, and an ability to help out on defense... had an outstanding ability to think on the ice. He controlled the game and orchestrated play by speeding up or slowing down the pace as needed.... had excellent peripheral vision... another special talent was versatility... his line attacked aggressively and scored the most goals domestically... when on the national team he became the shutdown center, neutralizing opposing stars... strategy was to keep the puck away from the opposition using a series of short, swift passes... The 1956 Olympic gold medal game was practically won on two goals scored on passes from Uvarov... a team player of the highest caliber, always placing the team's interests above his own... was team captain for 11 seasons in a row, and played until age 38.

I talked about how hard it was to put intangibles on a AAA scoring line without damaging the line’s offensive credibility, but I managed to do it. It got even harder in the AA, and in the A it’s darn near impossible. I think I did extremely well with Sabourin to add some all-around play and puckwinning to . Uvarov, not sure. The quotes about his skills are still from a 1950s USSR and World Championship standpoint. But I guess that’s just a quibble about how good he was at those things. At least it’s clear he DID have the skill set. If I look at all the NHL centers out there with any offensive credibility, they all have ZERO for intangibles. Nothing. And if you start a line with Torriani and Boyes, you need SOME defense in the middle, right?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
So after all those “stat picks†(LOL) I badly need some intangibles on the top 2 lines.

To fill the 1st line RW spot, I’ll take Gary Sabourin. Sabourin’s not THE most offensively potent player left, but among post-expansion guys, he’s not far off, either. Point totals of 49, 48, 48, 45, 42, percentage scores of 54, 48, 45, 42, 41, 36 (266 total). Kind of a Bill Flett without the one season spike, and with more quotes supporting his grit. He was in three Stanley Cup finals and two all-star games.

And to center the second line I will select Alexander Uvarov, C

Definitely a little questionable based on level of competition in 1949-1960 USSR. But not really much more questionable than many others being taken in this draft. And his domestic dominance is probably greater than any other international question mark here: 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, 8th in scoring

Uvarov was already 26 when he started playing, and 31 when the Soviets entered the international scene. So he only got into 4 international tournaments, but played a key role for them despite scoring only 15 points in 27 games. His bios indicate solid all-around play, actual shutdown ability in international tournaments, and leadership (an 11-year captain). He should be a good partner for the flashier Torriani and the “just go to the net†Boyes.

Would he have made an NHL roster in his prime in the mid-1950s? Maybe, maybe not. But, we’ve already selected players who’ve proven they couldn’t, and others who didn’t get a chance in the 60s and 70s, and even players who did get a chance in the bloated 1990s-and-beyond NHL who proved to be mediocre at best (some worse!). And I’ll tell you this – the next 10 offensive modern NHL centers you may be thinking of WOULD NOT have made the 1950s NHL either!

I talked about how hard it was to put intangibles on a AAA scoring line without damaging the line’s offensive credibility, but I managed to do it. It got even harder in the AA, and in the A it’s darn near impossible. I think I did extremely well with Sabourin to add some all-around play and puckwinning to . Uvarov, not sure. The quotes about his skills are still from a 1950s USSR and World Championship standpoint. But I guess that’s just a quibble about how good he was at those things. At least it’s clear he DID have the skill set. If I look at all the NHL centers out there with any offensive credibility, they all have ZERO for intangibles. Nothing. And if you start a line with Torriani and Boyes, you need SOME defense in the middle, right?

Sorry picked him 10 minutes ago

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Well, I see I missed uvarov, but I'm going to leave my post as is, in appreciation of the pick..... son of a

He's the guy I was repeatedly checking the list for, decent offensive numbers, appears to be a more defensive player who could spark the offence good fit for my third line I think.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
He was #2 in the league in 09-10 with STL, but he fell to 16th in 10-11 , 29th in 11-12 before returning to 4th in 12-13. In the years he was 16th and 29th, he was still playing way more than any other Panther (2:55 per game compared to Garrison's 2:34 per game in 11-12 and 3:15 per game in 10-11 compared to Garrison's 3:08).

St. Louis writer Andy Strickland noticed in February of 2011 (https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/35033842041495552) that after Weaver left, the Blues went from 1st to 21st in the PK and the Panthers from 23rd to 7th - obviously not all Weaver, but he must have been a factor.

Ah, there he is. 42%, 2% better than average. At this stage that is pretty good and he's using to the top. Not quite to the first page, but close.

Currently there are 14 guys with longer careers and more pk usage. 6 of them have better team results. So as a pure pk guy, he's really good, though not unparalleled at this level.

One other note, his teams have been brutal at even strength, 13% below average. So he was part of a 15% swing on the pk. (Refer to what I was saying about Ron Wilson yesterday). That's solid.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
He's the guy I was repeatedly checking the list for, decent offensive numbers, appears to be a more defensive player who could spark the offence good fit for my third line I think.

If there were trades, I'd make you an offer you couldn't refuse right now because I really don't want to pick any of these other schmucks.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
So, are trades allowed or what? Vanislander alluded to a trade but it may have been in jest.

You can still get a better third line guy, beast. Plenty of those out there. But I need a second line center, which you already have two of. Uvarov seems like more of "scorer who is responsible" than a "checker who can score".

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
So, are trades allowed or what? Vanislander alluded to a trade but it may have been in jest.

You can still get a better third line guy, beast. Plenty of those out there. But I need a second line center, which you already have two of. Uvarov seems like more of "scorer who is responsible" than a "checker who can score".

True, but my wingers for my third line aren't exactly offensive juggernauts, and now I have someone who can help spark the offence for that line while not being a liability.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Pfft. Second line center hoarder.

One day they're going to drag you kicking and screaming from your house while investigators uncover bag after bag of discarded second line centers. This is how it starts.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Pfft. Second line center hoarder.

One day they're going to drag you kicking and screaming from your house while investigators uncover bag after bag of discarded second line centers. This is how it starts.

Ahahahaha maybe one day but right now I'm trying to make the best team I can.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
In place of Ruel I pick Floyd Smith.

With the previous day's picks I select Centre John Chabot and Defenseman Jim Niekamp

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm gonna have to go with Darryl Sutter, LW/C.

I was quite critical of Sutter at the MLD level two years ago... and with good reason. His offensive resume was not much to speak about (best 6 vsx scores are 208), his grit level was not very well substantiated (had a fight with a teammate his first training camp, had the sutter name, but low PIMs are a question mark), his defense was not well substantiated (no quotes, and no penalty killing) and his career was so short (406 games).

but I have to say that 600 picks later in the A draft he looks like a stud.

- He was an NHL captain for 5 seasons; literally impossible to find this late
- He was a much better per-game player than VsX makes him look - his "best 6 scores" were achieved in 4.4 seasons worth of games and would project to 284, right in line with the best available wingers and centers
- He did have a season top-20 in goals with 40
- He was very goal-heavy which should make him more valuable than a similar point producer who was assist heavy (in fact he is the second most goals-heavy player since expansion, after Wendel Clark, minimum 150 goals)
- Having had the chance to review scouting reports, his grit, leadership, two-way play, hard work and toughness are all well-substantiated; he definitely lives up to the Sutter name. I'm not sure if he was the most docile one or if he was just the cleanest one. Or both.

But can he play center?

I have always had him listed as LW/C so I thought so. But I wanted to make sure. Here's what I could find.

- hockeydraftcentral, who are always apt to list dual positions when possible, list him as LW/C
- nhl.com's official player page has him as C
- hockey-reference has him as LW every season
- the TOI sheet has him as LW every season
- all his hockey cards say either LW or forward
- The NHL official guide and record book has him as LW every season
- The THN yearbooks have him as LW every season
- The Zander Hollander Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey has him as C every season except his last, where he's a LW.
- hockeydb has him as a forward
- The one edition of Hockey Scouting report that features him (1986-87) says he's a LW

The evidence has him as a more frequent LW than C for sure, but there's good reason to believe he played a good amount of center too. Considering finding a center with any level of intangibles is impossible, I'll take my chances with Darryl. Even if this leaves me with three "shoot first" players on my second line...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad