OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I completely agree that I can't tell the difference, but like it is truthfully the "better sounding" format because it replicates the sound better.

Obviously, this doesn't make a lot of difference with the prevalence of digital music where digital production is being used as a tool. Like, nobody has to put Flying Lotus or Kendrick Lamar on vinyl except for the "cool factor" of it.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I grew up with albums and understand the appeal - especially the social aspect. Look at these music threads that fill up and go on for years on end. How much have you learned about styles and artists? That is what you get at a record store from the guy across the counter and other patrons.

This, too. In high school, CDs were exchanging hands between myself and friends on a weekly basis. Yeah, you can share your Spotify playlist today instantaneously with an infinite amount of people, and that's all well and good, but there's something about a face-to-face interaction with someone giving you a record they love and you giving them one back in return.

Also, several years ago my parents gave me about ~200 records that they'd collected from their youth. So, for instance, I have pretty much the entire Beatles catalog, along with a lot of other stuff in their original pressings, sitting in my house on display right now. That's kind of cool. And not that I'm ever going to have kids or anything, but if I did, what would be the equivalent today? I give them my iTunes password? It's not the same.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This, too. In high school, CDs were exchanging hands between myself and friends on a weekly basis. Yeah, you can share your Spotify playlist today instantaneously with an infinite amount of people, and that's all well and good, but there's something about a face-to-face interaction with someone giving you a record they love and you giving them one back in return.

Also, several years ago my parents gave me about ~200 records that they'd collected from their youth. So, for instance, I have pretty much the entire Beatles catalog, along with a lot of other stuff in their original pressings, sitting in my house on display right now. That's kind of cool. And not that I'm ever going to have kids or anything, but if I did, what would be the equivalent today? I give them my iTunes password? It's not the same.

On one hand, the idea of passing things on and whatnot is cool. On the other hand, they wouldn't need anywhere to store it all with a password. Maybe I'm weird, but I'd much rather get a flash drive full of music than a box of albums.

That said, I've never been in to music to the point that I was sharing it with anybody. I had CDs in high school. We didn't trade, we just copies for each other :laugh: Now I put them all on a flash drive and threw the CDs away.

Last edited:

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
It is a lossless format meaning that it does sound better than most digital files which are compressed. If you are listening to lossless formats digitally like FLAC, the sound quality will be better, but in general vinyl scientifically sounds better. Digitally you are consistently remaking a sound signal so there is always going to be a microscopic amount of sound that is being left out. Analog doesn't have that issue.

Obviously, a lot of this is ruined with newer records because they are simply pressing the digital records and files onto a record, but an audiophile can definitely appreciate the difference and I don't think people are just trying to "be cool" when they drop literally tens of thousands of dollars on audio equipment.

I'm sure you're absolutely right. I would guess that 90% of people cannot tell that there is any loss though.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Having recently spent a week collecting ~13 hours of Christmas music to be played in a public place, I can honestly say that (despite having been a digital guy to begin with) I've never had more appreciation for both digitized music AND digital sound editing. Music with hissing and popping being played over a loudspeaker is the absolute worst.

In other news, if any of you live in the absolute worst hemisphere for hockey and you need a DJ for a Christmas party next year, you know who to call.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I use and appreciate both records and digital streaming.

Streaming is obviously so convenient and I don’t need to drop a ton of money to find some new music. I don’t even know how many artists I’ve found or finally given a listen to since I started paying for Spotify. With vinyl, I can’t say whether I think it sounds better or not. At least partly due to my equipment sucks, but I enjoy the physical copy in my hands. I like the ritual of taking the record out, putting it on the table, dropping the needle, and looking over the cover art while you listen to the album. I even like being forced to listen to a full side without being able to (easily) skip a song and being forced to get up to flip the record over when the side is over. I feel that it keeps me more engaged with the music than streaming. For me, a lot of times with streaming, it becomes more about there being a next song instead of what the next song is.

Going to the record store and flipping through records is fun, too. Finding a gem in the used bin to add to your collection gives you a rush.

Been listening to Nina Simone lately.

WHAT.
A.
TALENT.

Thanks. I’ve been trying to find something to listen to at work all day. She hits the spot.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
All formats are good. I've never been super concerned with fidelity because it's a sucker's game. I also believe that different sound qualities can produce alternate and interesting experiences. A few months ago a friend made me a mix tape (a real one) and the sound was super blown out and bassy. I thought it was great! I was already familiar with a lot of the songs on it and it was a fun way to hear them again.

Last edited:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Before I saw Purple Rain, I imagined it to be the cheesiest ego trip in music film history. After I saw it, I understood it to be the best ego trip in music film history. It made me into a huge Prince fan even more than the Batman soundtrack.

Here's a HQ version of the Prince-written Jungle Love.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Before I saw Purple Rain, I imagined it to be the cheesiest ego trip in music film history. After I saw it, I understood it to be the best ego trip in music film history. It made me into a huge Prince fan even more than the Batman soundtrack.

Here's a HQ version of the Prince-written Jungle Love.

A ****ing men, Tom. Purple Rain is fantastic. :handclap:

For those of you more on the punk/80s underground side of things, I've been diving into a Wipers rabbit hole lately. The first three albums are just jaw-droppingly good- no overdubs on 'em either. Greg Sage is an insane guitar player.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I completely agree that I can't tell the difference, but like it is truthfully the "better sounding" format because it replicates the sound better.

Obviously, this doesn't make a lot of difference with the prevalence of digital music where digital production is being used as a tool. Like, nobody has to put Flying Lotus or Kendrick Lamar on vinyl except for the "cool factor" of it.

There's actually a lot different in how you master for vinyl vs. digital-- vinyl has more dynamic room, but you lose fidelity, you get more fidelity with digital, but you lose dynamics. It's one of those things that matters, especially through good speakers, but I don't see any shame in people going with digital releases, it's just different. And honestly, if you're not using decent speakers in a good space, you might not hear the difference because of any number of reasons.

The format that I can't understand coming back is cassette tape. :amazed:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Off-season.

Watched Baby Driver tonight, and the one track ("Ready Let's Go") turned me back on to Boards of Canada. So, listening to Music Has the Right to Children. One of my all-time favorites.

Also, if you're reading this newly-bumped thread, do not think about posting only the hippest ****. If you love the 50s, or 80s hair metal, or even nu metal, please post it. I'd love to have an excuse to hear any song.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
There's actually a lot different in how you master for vinyl vs. digital-- vinyl has more dynamic room, but you lose fidelity, you get more fidelity with digital, but you lose dynamics. It's one of those things that matters, especially through good speakers, but I don't see any shame in people going with digital releases, it's just different. And honestly, if you're not using decent speakers in a good space, you might not hear the difference because of any number of reasons.

The format that I can't understand coming back is cassette tape. :amazed:

I still have all of my cassettes from my younger days, but refuse to partake in the cassette revival.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Screen grab of where one of my Spotify-generated mix is right this second. They do a pretty good job, whilst I might not be a die hard aficionado of every band here, I do like all of these with varying degrees.
EqWVMMH.png

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Obviously I just discovered this thread. Rediscovered vinyl about 7 years ago. I mean I still had about 30 albums left over when I made the conversion to CD's, but ignored the format for a very long time. Between my wife and I, we've amassed about 700 lps. This year I've been more selective and have been relying on Spotify to decide if I like the album enough to drop the needed $15-$35 for an album. We still have all the CD's and my cassettes. I've gone back and forth with ideas of purging just to minimize, but letting go of musical history has proved difficult.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
oh word. bummmmmp. I really like the new Big Boi. **** slapppps. The Hatsune Miku flip on Kill Jill is GODLIKE.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Screen grab of where one of my Spotify-generated mix is right this second. They do a pretty good job, whilst I might not be a die hard aficionado of every band here, I do like all of these with varying degrees.
EqWVMMH.png

I see you clefty. On point! :yo: Man, I love that Godflesh record. I havn't listened to it in ages. Doing so now for sure!

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Also love punk. New Jack Swing. Afro beat. The good kind of country music. Ambient. Bjork. Slayer. Public Enemy. Giorgio Moroder. The Byrds. Brian Eno. Wu-Tang Clan. Prince. Led Zeppelin. Scott Walker. XTC. TLC.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Also love Primus, Rage, STP, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Metallica. Collective Soul, Smashing Pumpkins, Blind Melon, Nine Inch Nails... I had the first two Live albums on CD. Live, the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad