OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Get off my lawn.:rant:

:laugh: I never knew you were such an EDM guy, Cole.

I do love all music. Coldplay probably my favorite. M83 right now threw out a great couple of tracks. 2016 can be a great year for music if it continues. I love everything from country and can even admit the Bieber CD is freaking terrific even though I ****ing hate the guy.

I think the EDM scene for like the last 6 years has been superb. These Euro DJs are it. They are so far ahead of the game and the transitions are fun. I don't care if it's done on a computer or not.. it's artistic to transition music, use samples, etc. Brilliant stuff.

When you think it's dead... it just comes back stronger.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I like minimal house.

Kompakt records, Cadenza records, Ricardo Villalobos, Pantha du Prince, Luciano, The Field (though maybe only one album is "house")...

Really love that new The Field album.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ Have not heard that. Can definitely get behind it, though. Good sound. I like the very slow build.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
For whatever reason, I always feel awkward posting my band's music, but just in case there are some punk/ska/rockabilly fans on this board

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Today is the day. Judgement day. LGP!

I've always dug Integrity, they had a different aesthetic than most of the other hardcore bands that were around when they started. They've had a bajillion lineup changes, but even their later stuff is still pretty solid.

Ringworm is another band that came out of that Cleveland scene and has never really gotten their due.

This came out a couple of weeks and I've been listening to it a lot:

I think a lot of the people picking this up were more into of Cult of Luna than Julie Christmas, but I sort of came into it from the other direction. I think her voice and general weirdness gives their music another dimension, a buddy of mine is super into them and I like them well enough, but I feel like their songs get a bit samey after a while.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Zen, yeah I LOVE all those Integ records (new & old). Ringworm rules too. The Promise is one my favorite cleveland hxc releases. Newer Integ is actually comprised of a couple dudes from an old Pittsburgh band, Unreal City. Some of whom I'm friends with and went to school with.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Zen, yeah I LOVE all those Integ records (new & old). Ringworm rules too. The Promise is one my favorite cleveland hxc releases. Newer Integ is actually comprised of a couple dudes from an old Pittsburgh band, Unreal City. Some of whom I'm friends with and went to school with.

Huh, I had no idea some local people were involved, that's pretty cool. I think the last time I paid attention it was Dwid and a bunch of random European dudes.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
13116775_1942387205997791_407749778_n.jpg

The Helio Sequence put on a good show last night. Crowd was tiny, though.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Oh, hey and now for something completely different ....

Still love this, though ... but who doesn't love a good wolf howl along?:nod:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
MerryHappyWhatever!

::EDIT:: Forgot to mention, some NSFW language

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I have to say, I don't understand wanting records at this point. Doesn't hurt me though, so whatevs.

There's a surprisingly large percentage of 'audiophiles' who think vinyl sounds better. New pressings, anyway. Something about analog and warmth. IDK. It's all analog when it hits the end user.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Audiophiles are full of it, give them the Pepsi challenge and I guarantee they'd just be guessing. But some people enjoy a physical, tactile relationship with their collection of music. Being able to look at it and hold it in their hands. I understand it.

Too expensive for me, though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I understand wanting to hold it I guess. Personally, I love that things are digital now, but I get it. But I very much disagree with Vinyl having a better sound.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I grew up with albums and understand the appeal - especially the social aspect. Look at these music threads that fill up and go on for years on end. How much have you learned about styles and artists? That is what you get at a record store from the guy across the counter and other patrons.

To say "they just sound better" is crazy unless you like pops, scratches and skips.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I grew up with albums and understand the appeal - especially the social aspect. Look at these music threads that fill up and go on for years on end. How much have you learned about styles and artists? That is what you get at a record store from the guy across the counter and other patrons.

To say "they just sound better" is crazy unless you like pops, scratches and skips.

It is a lossless format meaning that it does sound better than most digital files which are compressed. If you are listening to lossless formats digitally like FLAC, the sound quality will be better, but in general vinyl scientifically sounds better. Digitally you are consistently remaking a sound signal so there is always going to be a microscopic amount of sound that is being left out. Analog doesn't have that issue.

Obviously, a lot of this is ruined with newer records because they are simply pressing the digital records and files onto a record, but an audiophile can definitely appreciate the difference and I don't think people are just trying to "be cool" when they drop literally tens of thousands of dollars on audio equipment.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
New pressings wouldn't have the scratches, etc. I can understand the theory behind it ... it's true analog. Meaning it was never digitized, compressed, de-compressed and converted back to analog so your ears can hear it. Better compression formats have built-in error checking, and the chances of data getting lost on a CD vs. broadcasting is minimal. But data does degrade over time.

Meh, I'll be honest and say I can't really tell the difference if the source material is high quality ... I couldn't tell you if it was the original CD playing, a 320 MP3 or 24 bit FLAC :laugh: I sort of think it's another way to be an elitist, but to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad