OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Spotify premium is a must, IMO. I have spotify premium, soundclound, sirius, and I can go between Apple/Amazon music. I just don't enjoy Apple/Amazon for music at all. Spotify Premium is amazing. Soundclound is great if searching for full DJ sets. Sirius is clearly a better choice than nothing for the car.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I don't think streaming rips off artists more than the old-world publishing/licensing models did. At least it's easier now than ever before for artists to get their music out there to be heard without corporate meddling.

Spotify is just what radio used to be, for me. Where I used to try and find a half-decent radio station whilst in the car, or to have on the background when I'm cleaning the house or idling away on my laptop, now I just let a Spotify mix roll. And it's all stuff that I like. Streaming is no substitute for the avid music fan/collector, and when I really want to take the time to digest music I'll go to my record collection over my Spotify account, but it has its place and purpose. It's useful to be able to hear about a band for the first time, and 30 seconds later be listening to one of their songs, and becoming a fan.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I just discovered Concorde about 2 weeks ago. I wish they had more material.

I'd post something I like more from them but the art that goes with it is totally NSFHFB.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Spotify ****s artists, that's my main beef with it.

On one hand I get that beef, on the other hand I'm not an artist :laugh:

I need to start using the discover stuff with Spotify. Right now I mostly use it to listen to the same stuff I already listed to before I got spotify.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I just thought Id share the names of 3 bands I've really been into this last few months and am really digging. These are not new bands by any means.

Luna
Slowdive
The Shout Out Louds

Anyone know of or like any of these bands? Check them out if you're into 80s alt rock at all, shoegaze/dream pop indie rock (although I hate that word "Indie" used to describe music since it's not actually genre).

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
how's the new Slowdive record? i honestly did not expect a new Slowdive record in 2017. i'm a huge fan of Just for a Day and Souvlaki.

I really like it. It feels more like it picked up where Souvlaki left off and less like Pygmalion. I kind of remember this band from back in the 90s but not well - mainly just band name recognition. It's kind of weird I stumbled across them around February. They hadn't had new music in what, 20 some years and not they're touring. Guess I jumped on board at a good time. I'm going to see them in November.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
how's the new Slowdive record? i honestly did not expect a new Slowdive record in 2017. i'm a huge fan of Just for a Day and Souvlaki.

They're even great live these days, which surprised the hell out of me. Caught 'em with JAMC last week. :yo:

And I get why people use spotify, and no judgement. :laugh: I just don't like that their streaming rates are so absurdly low for how much money they're raking in.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Broke out this gem over the weekend.

35027541673_7f2e674b78_b.jpg

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

I'll echo others. Love the new Slowdive. A very welcome record. Well-crafted, consistent.

I think I like all the albums, even Pygmalion. Make sure you get the EPs Morningrise and Slowdive. That's where that good shoegaze is at.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Broke out this gem over the weekend.

35027541673_7f2e674b78_b.jpg

That is a great, super underrated album. If you're into musical oral histories, one of the best recent ones has been Everybody Loves Our Town, which chronicles the Seattle scene from the 80s through the mid 90s. Mark Arm, of course, features prominently. :handclap:

I just thought Id share the names of 3 bands I've really been into this last few months and am really digging. These are not new bands by any means.

Luna
Slowdive
The Shout Out Louds

Anyone know of or like any of these bands? Check them out if you're into 80s alt rock at all, shoegaze/dream pop indie rock (although I hate that word "Indie" used to describe music since it's not actually genre).

Luna's genius. I actually really like Dean Wareham's project with his wife, Britta, Dean&Britta too. They did an amazing double album for the Andy Warhol screen tests called 13 Most Lovely that is super underrated too. And of course, Galaxie 500 is pretty godly.

On the shoegaze/Jesu tip: I highly recommend Nothing, out of Philly. Their first album, Guilty of Everything is equal parts beautiful and punishing. Their second, Tired of Tomorrow is even heavier and doper. If you're looking for a combination of metal and shoegaze, these dudes do it better than almost anyone I've ever seen, Justin Broadrick aside. Definitely the one band active these days that unites my metalhead bandmates and friends as well as my twee indie dork friends. :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Dudes also put on a pretty killer live show. Caught 'em on recs from other friends from Philly, these dudes who are no slouches themselves:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

Prince's ghost finally put up official Prince recordings on the internet. Here's an awesome live song from 1984. Includes Sheila E.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
I honestly don't really remember what they sounded like, but I remember thinking they were pretty boring at the time.

Yeah, they're pretty by the numbers for sure lol. I grew up taking road trips to philly/baltimore and saw them a couple times. They were fun.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
35038075634_3332d219a1_b.jpg

A 10 year old me had no idea about this album. I didn't discover Sonic Youth until about 4 years later when I saw a video for 100% on 120 Minutes. When I went back and listened to Daydream Nation I was floored. It was loud. It was angsty. It was this controlled chaos that at any moment could just fly off the hinges. It was everything I was as a young teenager. Man, every time I revisit this album I just want to pick up a skatebord and just say FTW.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Daydream Nation is 110% stone cold classic. It was like the 2nd tape I ever bought with my own money. :laugh: I think the first was Ugly Kid Joe in a moment of dumb rural Pennsylvania hickdom.

Speaking of PA bands though, I'm suprised there's no love for Allentown's Pissed Jeans, especially from the noise/heavy/hardcore spectrum here. The new album SLAYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA