Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Something Happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You can't be serious. Malkin fought because Malkin felt like fighting.

They feel more protected. They haven't been getting cheap-shotted.

I think you need more than an 8 game sample size to start bringing that up. Wait for the Winnipeg games next week.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'd like to keep PH too but people keep assuming what it will cost and that it's just a matter of whether the Pens want to keep him. What if JR has already approached PH about an extension and Horny says, thanks but I'd like to test the market? And what if Florida is in playoff contention in January and says we'll trade you Bjugstad, who's playing wing now, with years left on his contract for Horny and a draft pick. 3C problems over for the next few years. What should JR do?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd like to keep PH too but people keep assuming what it will cost and that it's just a matter of whether the Pens want to keep him. What if JR has already approached PH about an extension and Horny says, thanks but I'd like to test the market? And what if Florida is in playoff contention in January and says we'll trade you Bjugstad, who's playing wing now, with years left on his contract for Horny and a draft pick. 3C problems over for the next few years. What should JR do?

I would say the likelihood of PH wanting to stay for 5-5.5 mil for 5 years is far greater than the trade scenario you presented.

But yeah, if that was possible, I’d probably look into it. Bjugstad at least has the size to give us a net presence replacement.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Another thing the new site sucks at is multi-quoting...at least the way I do it.

God forbid you should try to cut and paste quotes to reply to more than one at a time. They disappear!

I've been saying that for a while... people just keep telling me I'm crazy. Glad to see it's not just me. And I've tried to multi-quote using the forum buttons... they don't work.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hagelin-Karlsson/Sheahan-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan/Karlsson-Reaves
EX-McKeeg, Kuhnhackl

If Sprong isn’t ready, Move Sheary into top9 and play Kuhnhackl/McKeeg 4th line LW. Combos will change game in and game out so don’t take the lines forgranted.

Never fails to amuse me. Guy is playing at a 40g/51pt pace... lets put him on the 4th line! :shakehead :facepalm:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you're putting any top-9 winger on the 4th line, it makes a lot more sense for it to be Hagelin. A 4th line of Hagelin-McKegg-Reaves would at least be effective because of the speed of that line. You can have that be a grinding energy line and have it be pretty effective IMO. Sheary on the 4th line is an absolute waste of him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why are Florida trading Bjugstad for a guy who leaves in the summer though? If the deal is actually there then yeah, maybe I'm listening, but it just doesn't seem realistic.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Why are Florida trading Bjugstad for a guy who leaves in the summer though? If the deal is actually there then yeah, maybe I'm listening, but it just doesn't seem realistic.
To dump salary. Cheap ownership.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I could see Florida not wanting to pay Bjugstad, who's now a third line wing for them, over $4 mil over the next few years for his relatively limited point total. I can also see them thinking, because it's true, that Horny would help them more this year if they have playoff aspirations. I don't know if that trade could happen but I don't think it's that unrealistic

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Sprong does not replace Hornqvist. Sprong replaces Jake, Kessel, or Sheary. The first two are non starters to me, so if anyone is moved to make room it would be Sheary. Not that I'm advocating for it, I really like our collection of wings, but the idea of sprong pushing horny out is bogus.

Reactions: td_ice

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Pens won't have a problem acquiring Sheahan. Bigger issue for me is do you blow almost 2M of your cap space on him. I just can't see them doing that.

Agreed. There's no reason to do that. He's not good enough to justify 2mm of this team's precious remaining cap space.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Can we have a recurring post at the top and bottom of every page saying "STOP TRADING HORNQVIST" followed by "SHEAHAN SUCKS"?

That would stop at least half of the activity in this thread.

Reactions: td_ice

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Can we have a recurring post at the top and bottom of every page saying "STOP TRADING HORNQVIST" followed by "SHEAHAN SUCKS"?

That would stop at least half of the activity in this thread.
He'd need to come cheap, but I still see Sheahan a bit like Schultz. There's enough history of playing well to believe that he can be considerably better than he is currently playing. I don't think it's the way I'd go at this point because part of why I liked going for Sheahan before was because he was cheap enough to be 4C (which I don't think we need now with McKegg) but I don't think it would be a terrible option if he came cheap.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Let's continue to look for a legitimate 3C and move on from Sheahan. We have plenty of centers that can't score on this team. He doesn't help us...at all.

He'd be more useless than Reaves on this squad. The fascination with him around here is soooo odd. Again, I understand if you liked him in the summer before McKegg came. But he'd be so redundant now.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Sprong does not replace Hornqvist. Sprong replaces Jake, Kessel, or Sheary. The first two are non starters to me, so if anyone is moved to make room it would be Sheary. Not that I'm advocating for it, I really like our collection of wings, but the idea of sprong pushing horny out is bogus.
So your suggestion is to trade Sheary to make room for Sprong? I don't know why there are people who are so ready to show Sheary the door

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So your suggestion is to trade Sheary to make room for Sprong? I don't know why there are people who are so ready to show Sheary the door
I think it would be to get a 3C and make room for Sprong. And it's less making room for Sprong. It's Sprong making a scoring winger expendible.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'd be happy to get Sheahan.

He has talent, he just needs a fresh start somewhere else.

I was looking at the lines from Detroit's last game and they had Sheahan playing wing on the 4th line, hes not being put in a position to succeed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Well, guess that's that. Bobby Mac tweeted Sheahan to Pens is just about done. Hopefully he can bounce back and thrive with our depth at wing and while being sheltered behind Sid and Geno.

Wonder what we're parting with to land him.

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
Two goals in 88 games and nary a point this season. It better be for absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce