Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Something Happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Some positives coming out of this trade:

A. Kuhnhackl doesn't have to stay in the lineup every game now, because Sheahan is a pretty veteran PKer.
B. Rowney doesn't have to stay in the lineup every game now, because Sheahan is a center.
C. Sprong can be called up easier now, because there is 1 less player blocking him from getting ice time at the NHL level

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Wilson isn't going to go to Detroit and become a 20 goal scorer. He was a depth piece here and nothing more. I bet he is nothing more than a fourth liner in Detroit. Yeah, he brought some physicality in the playoffs last year, but there's plenty of guys that can do that exact same thing as well as he did. We needed to improve our depth down the middle, and Sheahan does that, albeit marginally. JR gave up what will amount to probably 30-35 draft spots and a healthy scratch to pick up a badly needed center. I'll take it

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Wilson might not have been anything special but he is better than Sheahan and also better than Kuhnhackl. We should have been able to get this guy for much less... Or preferably not traded for him at all

We have no idea if Sheahan is better than Wilson or not when it comes to this team. Sheahan had an abysmal calendar year playing on an abysmal Red Wings team. Who knows what happens when he's flanked by guys like Hagelin and Hornqvist (example) and sheltered behind Sid's and Geno's lines. /shrug

Not happy this is the guy we went out to get either, but I'll wait before questioning the move. In any event, the only thing I even begin to pause while thinking about is the 3rd round pick. And even then, not for long.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Statistically we lost the better player and the better draft pick, so thats the negative. The positive is that Sheahan may have more of an upside. Like everything with the center position this year, this will be judged in hindsight. If Sheahan can elevate his game with a better team and return to his previous form, this will be a good trade. If he plays like he has been, we lose but really only on the picks, Wilson was never going to be more than a 3rd/4th line guy here anyway.

Initial reaction was 'meh', but really the best case scenario is much better than the worst case scenario is bad, if that makes sense.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
The problem I have with this trade is it seems like our bottom six is moving back into the vanilla meh it was during the late Bylsma era up until Sullivan.

Reactions: wheelz87

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
didn't give up much. Obviously trading for the upside of what he used to be, similar to what we did with Schultz. If it works out half as well as Schultz has, this is a good move.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The problem I have with this trade is it seems like our bottom six is moving back into the vanilla meh it was during the late Bylsma era up until Sullivan.
Was Bonino really much different? He was a pretty damn vanilla shot-blocking defensive 3C the vast majority of the time.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Yep. But you can primarily thank Cullen's wife for that...

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Was Bonino really much different? He was a pretty damn vanilla shot-blocking defensive 3C the vast majority of the time.

It isn't so much about Bonino and Sheahan for me as the general trend. Bonino really wasn't the biggest loss. As you said, he's a pretty vanilla defensive 3C.

Cullen was great at driving possession and was slick in transition when given space. McKegg was a pleasant addition because he brings good speed. Its more of a personal preference in roster construction for me. I would rather have bottom sixers (mostly talking fourth liners and third wheel on the third line) who do one or two things well and have holes in their game than the more traditional bottom sixers that just eat up minutes every night.

All that being said, Sheahan is at worst still an upgrade on Rowney, and Wilson was getting lost in the winger log jam anyway, so its a small complaint.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It isn't so much about Bonino and Sheahan for me as the general trend. Bonino really wasn't the biggest loss. As you said, he's a pretty vanilla defensive 3C.

Cullen was great at driving possession and was slick in transition when given space. McKegg was a pleasant addition because he brings good speed. Its more of a personal preference in roster construction for me. I would rather have bottom sixers (mostly talking fourth liners and third wheel on the third line) who do one or two things well and have holes in their game than the more traditional bottom sixers that just eat up minutes every night.

All that being said, Sheahan is at worst still an upgrade on Rowney, and Wilson was getting lost in the winger log jam anyway, so its a small complaint.
Between Hags, Sheary, Rust, and Horny, 2 of those guys are in our bottom 6. Kegger is exactly what you're asking for I think too, though obviously he's not as good as Cullen. Reaves does different things, but he's actually also a guy who fits that description of doing one or two things very well. So long as it's Rowney or Kuhn sitting, I don't see how this does anything worse than maybe upgrade one vanilla player with a better one.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Between Hags, Sheary, Rust, and Horny, 2 of those guys are in our bottom 6. Kegger is exactly what you're asking for I think too, though obviously he's not as good as Cullen. Reaves does different things, but he's actually also a guy who fits that description of doing one or two things very well. So long as it's Rowney or Kuhn sitting, I don't see how this does anything worse than maybe upgrade one vanilla player with a better one.

Agreed on Kegger and Reaves. Rowney and Kuhn were the two I was mostly worried about with the "vanilla trend", but even if injuries strike (and with this team it's inevitable) if they are long term its most likely Sprong or ZAR than one of those two stopgapping. Probably an initial overreaction on my part. I still have PTSD of Gladams-Vitale and Sutter-Spaling.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hrm. I feel like we lost the trade value wise today, but we gave up nothing of major value to us and if sheahan bounces back, it will be a great trade.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Agreed on Kegger and Reaves. Rowney and Kuhn were the two I was mostly worried about with the "vanilla trend", but even if injuries strike (and with this team it's inevitable) if they are long term its most likely Sprong or ZAR than one of those two stopgapping. Probably an initial overreaction on my part. I still have PTSD of Gladams-Vitale and Sutter-Spaling.
if we sit Kegger instead of Kuhn or Rowney, I will join the side of being annoyed with the direction of the bottom 6 :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Let's continue to look for a legitimate 3C and move on from Sheahan. We have plenty of centers that can't score on this team. He doesn't help us...at all.

He'd be more useless than Reaves on this squad. The fascination with him around here is soooo odd. Again, I understand if you liked him in the summer before McKegg came. But he'd be so redundant now.

Really? Because Crosby and Malkin seem to be doing just fine. And while Rowney hasn't shown to be anything special... he is on pace for 10g/20pts, which is probably pretty close to the league average for that position.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This board is going to be piiiiiiisssseeeddd lol

Probably. Doesn't really bother me. Doesn't excite me, but it's essentially Wilson and a 4th (late 3rd, early/mid 5th). Hard to get to worked up about that. Worse case, he doesn't pan out, and you move him, or send him to the minors, and gain 1/2 his cap hit in cap space.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I see the usual suspect are already on suicide watch. Dude hasn't even played a game.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Based on what? We still have: Hagelin, Rust, Sheary, Kessel and Hornqvist. 2 of those guys will be flanking Sheahan. Which means in almost any situation, you're going to have a skilled winger on one wing, and a fast defensively responsible winger on the other. Seems like a decent setup for a quality 3rd line - assuming Sheahan remembers how to play hockey again.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
So are we having the "we need a new backup" conversation now? I feel like that area is starting to look troubling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad