The Saint Mikael Granlund hypetrain part 2 (saucer passes turning to wine!)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This guy is killing me here in my dynasty league. Took him over Tarasenko. What's the problem? Watching him play I thought he'd be a sure thing.

Billy Mays Here*

This guy is killing me here in my dynasty league. Took him over Tarasenko. What's the problem? Watching him play I thought he'd be a sure thing.

One of his line-mates is Dany Heatley, that's the problem.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Again, a few high-end passes tonight. Two primary assists (the second one utterly gorgeous) resulting in goals. This is a really good player.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
#9 not bad, if we are comparing his game to the other top 10 players in the draft...

Still though, it's still way too soon to say "who won" or "did better" in the draft. These players have (hopefully) long careers ahead of them.

That being said, I think Granlund's upside has always been tremendous. His talent hasn't disappeared, or lessened.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Granlund still has the IQ, the vision, and the playmaking abilities to become a number one center IMO.

He needs to keep this going, I'd say he's improved from last season, but he should be a bit more aggressive and tenacious on the puck imo. I think that has to do with his confidence, which might continue to rise if he keeps picking up these points.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I like Granlund and all but he is the most over-hyped player in the last decade. Even more hype than Daigle, Bonk, Samsonov and Stefan. He's not a bust by any means but his upside is nothing more than 55 points.... 60 tops. He definitely will not be a star player.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I like Granlund and all but he is the most over-hyped player in the last decade. Even more hype than Daigle, Bonk, Samsonov and Stefan. He's not a bust by any means but his upside is nothing more than 55 points.... 60 tops. He definitely will not be a star player.

I doubt the "next Saku Koivu" trumps the "next Mario Lemieux".

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

A) How do you quantify hype
B) Daigle, Stefan, Samsanov, Bonk were not drafted in the last decade. Learn to count.
C) You assign upside as production and then give a strict arbitary number as if it means anything.

You've offered no opinion on Granlund as a player. You've given incoherent comparables.

In conclusion .... go eat some garden peas.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
What is the proper way to prepare them? Nom noms. :yo:

Don't get your feelings hurt because Granlund won't ever live up to the hype. It's all good.

You obviously haven't watched him play a game this year.

Kid worked hard all offseason and you can definitly tell. He looks great

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Again, why is it such as dream to figure that Granlund won't be a similar player to Saku Koivu? I don't get it.

Granlund is nowhere near as feisty as Saku and he doesn't have the willingness to get dirty in the trenches. Not many little guys have Saku Koivu's heart and determination. It doesn't matter what Granlund can do on YouTube and in a skills competition..... in the NHL you need to pay the price to produce.... especially score goals.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
Granlund is nowhere near as feisty as Saku and he doesn't have the willingness to get dirty in the trenches. Not many little guys have Saku Koivu's heart and determination. It doesn't matter what Granlund can do on YouTube and in a skills competition..... in the NHL you need to pay the price to produce.... especially score goals.

Have you actually seen him play this season? Or ever? Because judging by your comments you really have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. If there is one thing Granlund isn't lacking it's determination and heart. The guy worked his ass off this off-season to get better and it's really showing. Will he ever become more than a 50-60p player? Probably not, but stating it outright like that and saying it's absolutely impossible is just ignorant. The guy hasn't even played a full season in the NHL yet and you are already calling out his maximum point totals...

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Have you actually seen him play this season? Or ever? Because judging by your comments you really have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. If there is one thing Granlund isn't lacking it's determination and heart. The guy worked his ass off this off-season to get better and it's really showing. Will he ever become more than a 50-60p player? Probably not, but stating it outright like that and saying it's absolutely impossible is just ignorant. The guy hasn't even played a full season in the NHL yet and you are already calling out his maximum point totals...

Yes I have watched him. He will be a "good" player. 50-55 point type. But the "hype" surrounding him out of Finland was ridiculous..... like he was going to be a superstar in the NHL who puts up over a point-per-game. That's all I'm saying. He's a good player... I never said he was garbage. He just won't live up to the hype IMO. I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Yes I have watched him. He will be a "good" player. 50-55 point type. But the "hype" surrounding him out of Finland was ridiculous..... like he was going to be a superstar in the NHL who puts up over a point-per-game. That's all I'm saying. He's a good player... I never said he was garbage. He just won't live up to the hype IMO. I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

Of course you can have an opinion but stating your own opinion as a fact tends to make you seem ignorant.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

Several thingss: I still don't get why the next Saku Koivu (Granlund) is more overhyped than the next Mario Lemieux (Daigle).

And you are right, in the NHL you need to pay the price to produce. Granlund may not reach the absolute upside that is Saku Koivu but "heart and determination" is not the thing in question. He goes hard into the zones, jumps on board battles, and certainly "pays the price". I really don't where you get this notion that he doesn't play hard and physical.

The major question of Granlund's game is his skating and that would be a very strong argument to make but you saying his more overhyped than Alexander Daigle and implying that Granlund doesn't play the gritty side of hockey is completely false.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Several thingss: I still don't get why the next Saku Koivu (Granlund) is more overhyped than the next Mario Lemieux (Daigle).

And you are right, in the NHL you need to pay the price to produce. Granlund may not reach the absolute upside that is Saku Koivu but "heart and determination" is not the thing in question. He goes hard into the zones, jumps on board battles, and certainly "pays the price". I really don't where you get this notion that he doesn't play hard and physical.

The major question of Granlund's game is his skating and that would be a very strong argument to make but you saying his more overhyped than Alexander Daigle and implying that Granlund doesn't play the gritty side of hockey is completely false.

Good post. Though, in my analysis, he does have upside as high as SK's.

He's adjusted so well to the NHL since last year. Watching him often, he seems to be on a steady rise, by which I mean the assignments he's given, his decision making, and consequently, his points.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Two reasons I don't think you've watched Granlund this season:

1.) He's absolutely feisty. Watch him battling along the boards; he's excellent at stripping opponents of the puck.

2.) He doesn't have size, but Granlund has learned to cycle the puck and work around the net. Simply put, he's working the dirty areas.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

It was never Granlund's "Youtube clips" that made him great. In fact i think his skill with the puck was overrated if anything. He can do some fancy things but he is no magician like Datsyuk or Kane.

It was more like his hockey IQ, vision and attitude. All are top notch and definitely #1 line material. His size and lack of strenght that prevents him from getting to scoring areas hurts for years to come but already this season he has shown he can compete in this league. Now its just matter of learning more and getting stronger - which he will with his work ethic. And he does have some killers instincts when it comes to scoring too.

Its not really news that Finnish people like to hype our players too much but that doesn't mean Granlund couldn't be #1 line player someday. I never jumped the hypetrain but i think he can definitely be better than Saku Koivu.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Two reasons I don't think you've watched Granlund this season:

1.) He's absolutely feisty. Watch him battling along the boards; he's excellent at stripping opponents of the puck.

2.) He doesn't have size, but Granlund has learned to cycle the puck and work around the net. Simply put, he's working the dirty areas.

Yea, I see the same things.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Also, the commentators on Fox Wild have rightly noted Granlund's and Pommenville's quickly developed chemistry. They talked about how they're really getting comfortable with one another and how Granlund knows to to find JP.

Mike Yeo said MG has really grown his confidence and thus his creativity, which would likely be corroborated by perceptive watchers.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Also, the commentators on Fox Wild have rightly noted Granlund's and Pommenville's quickly developed chemistry. They talked about how they're really getting comfortable with one another and how Granlund knows to to find JP.

Mike Yeo said MG has really grown his confidence and thus his creativity, which would likely be corroborated by perceptive watchers.

And boy does it show. They really are playing well together. Granlund set Pommers up for another goal tonight, and again it was a pretty slick play and a bomb of a shot by Pommers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad