The Saint Mikael Granlund hypetrain part 2 (saucer passes turning to wine!)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Misread or misquote?

I posted that FEL has had MAJOR impact in his career and i might call him even as a product of FEL.

You answered:

Read that last sentence. I agree that 53 games isn't biggest sample but you clearly say that any of the league he has played in has as much influence as FEL.

I just quoted you and linked some links that proved that you're wrong.

You also never answered me when i said that he actually played 156 games.

Well it's all debating and i feel good when i have chance to prove a arrogant poster like you wrong. For the Barkov debate it was very similar as this Tim Thomas debate. You posted nonsence and made big statements without knowledge and most of them were false and not true or stupid. of course i have to bring arrogant poster like you into real world and give you real facts.

I don't know how many more times I have to say before you understand that the FEL was part of Tim Thomas' success, as was his AHL, IHL, US college hockey and SEL experience.

Your Major comment is what? Care to explain? Are you saying that FEL is the only reason for Thomas's success?

Further, I have stated numerous times, Finland's development of Goalies is one area they are good at. Mis-read that too?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I don't know how many more times I have to say before you understand that the FEL was part of Tim Thomas' success, as was his AHL, IHL, US college hockey and SEL experience.

Your Major comment is what? Care to explain? Are you saying that FEL is the only reason for Thomas's success?

Further, I have stated numerous times, Finland's development of Goalies is one area they are good at. Mis-read that too?

I have never stated that FEL has been only league that has had impact on his career but stated that it's a league with most impact for his success.

You answered:

As for Thomas 54 games in 04-05 is debatable as being a Major influence. Thomas also played in the SEL, IHL, AHL, and US College hockey. They had as much influence as the FEL.

Focus on your last two sentences. You clearly state that other leagues have been as impactful as FEL for his career. Not only that every league has been impact on his career or they have been as impactful for his career as his 53 games berore his NHL career in FEL but stated that they have been actually as impactful overall. That is complitely false and not true and i just proved you wrong.

Can i ask you that with what knowledge you can state such things? Not smart if you ask me.

The debate started with this post:

Tim Thomas developed in FEL with huge leaps. I would say that FEL had MAJOR impact on his career and i would maybe call him as product of FEL.
If you are implying Finland has developed good goalies, I have already said they have in numerous posts. My point is they have not developed elite players as per for their hype.

As for Thomas 54 games in 04-05 is debatable as being a Major influence. Thomas also played in the SEL, IHL, AHL, and US College hockey. They had as much influence as the FEL.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hey Thomast:

Here is the real reason for Tim Thomas's success in his own words.

Nice try though.

Not much has come easy for Tim Thomas in his career. Years of hard work have paid off, though, and on Wednesday, Thomas was once again rewarded for that hard work when he got the first of two days with the Stanley Cup.

Thomas brought the Cup to his hometown of Flint, Mich., where he credited the work ethic that was instilled in him growing up in the Midwest for helping him get to where he’s gotten today

http://nesn.com/2011/08/tim-thomas-...-ethic-for-success-during-first-day-with-cup/

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have never stated that FEL has been only league that has had impact on his career but stated that it's a league with most impact for his success.

You answered:

Focus on your last two sentences. You clearly state that other leagues have been as impactful as FEL for his career. Not only that every league has been impact on his career or they have been as impactful for his career as his 53 games berore his NHL career in FEL but stated that they have been actually as impactful overall. That is complitely false and not true and i just proved you wrong.

Can i ask you that with what knowledge you can state such things? Not smart if you ask me.

Nice dodge of my question. I'll try again.

Are you saying that FEL is the only reason for Thomas's success?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Hey Thomast:

Here is the real reason for Tim Thomas's success in his own words.

Nice try though.

http://nesn.com/2011/08/tim-thomas-...-ethic-for-success-during-first-day-with-cup/

I don't know if you are serious... He started his hockey career there and that is the place where everything started and of course that is the place where he became a hockey player and all. But FEL has had major impact for his career as i stated. Tim Thomas has stated himself that FEL prepared him the most for the NHL and made him as a professional.

Use google translator:

http://www.kaleva.fi/urheilu/jaakie...m-thomas-ehtii-seurata-myos-sm-liigaa/584008/

Our debate was this post:

Tim Thomas developed in FEL with huge leaps. I would say that FEL had MAJOR impact on his career and i would maybe call him as product of FEL.
If you are implying Finland has developed good goalies, I have already said they have in numerous posts. My point is they have not developed elite players as per for their hype.

You're saying that SEL, IHL, AHL and US college hockey had has as much impact as FEL for his NHL career and i fully disagree and Tim Thomas himself. I'm still not saying that those leagues haven't had any influence but i disagree that they have had as much influence as FEL as you stated. Don't try to change the subject.

Home is a home and he talks about that without that place and home he wouldn't be a NHL star and that is true but we were debating which league has most impact on his career and success on the NHL not the place. Nice try on trying to change the subject.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You're saying that SEL, IHL, AHL and US college hockey had has as much impact as FEL for his NHL career and i fully disagree and Tim Thomas himself. I'm still not saying that those leagues haven't had any influence but i disagree that they have had as much influence as FEL as you stated. Don't try to change the subject.

Home is a home and he talks about that without that place and home he wouldn't be a NHL star and that is true but we were debating which league has most impact on his career and success on the NHL not the place. Nice try on trying to change the subject.

So after all that, you fundamentally agreed with me. The FEL was partly responsible in Tim Thomas as a goalie. We just differ on degrees of importance.

There were many factors that can be attributed to his success, as Tim Thomas stated himself here: http://nesn.com/2011/08/tim-thomas-...-ethic-for-success-during-first-day-with-cup/

Tim would know, wouldn't he?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I wouldn't label him as a bust but I don't think he will live up to the expectations Wild fans will have for him. I'll say a 2nd line 50-60 point center. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
So after all that, you fundamentally agreed with me. The FEL was partly responsible in Tim Thomas as a goalie. We just differ on degrees of importance.

There were many factors that can be attributed to his success, as Tim Thomas stated himself here: http://nesn.com/2011/08/tim-thomas-...-ethic-for-success-during-first-day-with-cup/

Tim would know, wouldn't he?

Agreed? I never said that FEL was the only league that had impact on his success all i said it had major impact on his career.

Now when we disagree the importance of the FEL and other leagues i want to hear reasoning why do you think that leagues you listed has been as important for his success as FEL?

I posted several links that Tim Thomas talking about importance of FEL for his career and according to Tim Thomas FEL was THE league which prepared him most to the NHL stardom and success.

http://www.kaleva.fi/urheilu/jaakie...m-thomas-ehtii-seurata-myos-sm-liigaa/584008/

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138143868774

"Thomas, the reigning Vezina Trophy winner as the NHL's best goalie, has certainly found his niche in North America. But he has not forgotten the place where his NHL dream first took root and was nurtured. So, he says he will cast at least a glance at what is going on in Helsinki in the coming days -- especially Florida's exhibition against Jokerit Wednesday. "

Last edited:

Syan Ruter

Snusmumriken
Nov 8, 2012
Nah, Granny had a fairly average AHL season. Lots of points from PP, but didn't get much done 5-on-5. Not to mention that he pretty much disappeared during the play-offs.

Yupp, because, you know...PPG-pace is pretty avarge...:shakehead

Syan Ruter

Snusmumriken
Nov 8, 2012
Finland has developed many good NHL players, and many more useful NHL players.

Finland has also developed many excellent goalies, but only one elite player.

Think this is the most accurate statement.

Many elite goalies though. So much so that they bat Canada right out the ball park, easily. Any other country for that matter, except maybe for the States.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Granlund's phsyical attributes, or the lack thereof, is a way overblown accuse for his failure to bust into the NHL yet. He has enough speed and quickness, and willl have eventually enough strength to play in the NHL.

He's main problem is actually his playstyle and mindset. I don't think he realized at first that you have move your feet 100% of the time in the NHL. At no point are you allowed to stand still. If you aren't moving, then get the puck to somebody who is.

Based on interviews, it's clear that he intellectually understands what he needs to do now.

However, the real question is whether he can apply that knowledge into his game.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I wouldn't label him as a bust but I don't think he will live up to the expectations Wild fans will have for him. I'll say a 2nd line 50-60 point center. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

That is about on par what most of us realistically think he could manage.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
During tonight's Leafs/Wild game I got my first look at Granlund outside of highlights for the season.

It's clear to see why he was thought of as a high-end prospect.

He's so effective with the puck during zone entries. Often making high end passes resulting in shots. he also had a few great chances to score, but couldn't finish.

Even if his normal is anywhere near this, the points will start to come.

Was glad to see he's getting top 6 minutes, too.

mkoivu9*

Good comments. He seems to create a decent scoring opportunity every shift. Time to start putting them away.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
He did some serious work on his skating this summer and ufc to improve physique and looks like reborn. at the moment heatley is one of the main reasons his not getting points slowing that 2nd line down.

dwanmaster*

Yeah it's just that he has Dany Heatley on his line. Can't wait until Coyle gets back

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Precisely! Haven't really seen a MNWild fan saying he's gonna pot 90+ points...some extreme Finns, yeah, but not really any Minnesota fans

I think he has the potential to produce more than the 50-60 point 2nd liner projection but yeah, we aren't expecting the next Finnish generational talent.

Our Baby Jesus nickname is more of an inside joke with Wild fans making fun of how bad the Wild prospect pool was at that time. Our top prospect was Colton Gillies.

Billy Mays Here*

Get Heatley the **** off that line and put him with Pommers and either Zucker or Coyle and I think he'll start producing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought the kid looked good last night, still doesn't strike me as an elite fwd. But he is going to be useful.

The kid I liked last night was Nino Niederreiter, plays with an edge I like in a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad